• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 9: Humble Pie, Driskel, 280,000 defrees, Driskel, riots, and more Driskel

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a very good point. The other option is that UGA could name him the head coach in waiting. But, I don't see that happening, I think that's Bobo's job. Bobo could have taken another job by now and has had offers and turned them down. Wouldn't be shocked if there's an unofficial understanding between Richt and Bobo about that.

I thought y'all hated Bobo?

andycapps

It's becoming harder and harder to hate him the last few years. But yeah, there's a very vocal minority of the fanbase that still hates him. I used to feel that way, but I can't hate on him when they're leading the SEC in scoring with 43.4 points a game this year. They were 36.7 last year while so many of our playmakers were out. 37.8 in 2012.

It's hard to hate on those stats and not be ridiculous. Does he call stuff that doesn't work? Yeah, he does, but that's part of the game. Sometimes you get outcoached by the defense or your guys don't execute the play correctly. When you're putting up that many points, it's obvious that you're winning the battle the majority of the time.

Sometimes you use plays that you don't expect to work to set up looks, formations, or other plays.

Bobo's numbers have been good, though I think you have to look at the average with any fcs teams thrown out.

It's becoming harder and harder to hate him the last few years. But yeah, there's a very vocal minority of the fanbase that still hates him. I used to feel that way, but I can't hate on him when they're leading the SEC in scoring with 43.4 points a game this year. They were 36.7 last year while so many of our playmakers were out. 37.8 in 2012.

It's hard to hate on those stats and not be ridiculous. Does he call stuff that doesn't work? Yeah, he does, but that's part of the game. Sometimes you get outcoached by the defense or your guys don't execute the play correctly. When you're putting up that many points, it's obvious that you're winning the battle the majority of the time.

So really, he was only incompetent when outmatched on the talent side then.

andycapps

So really, he was only incompetent when outmatched on the talent side then.

I'm talking more about specific series. Certain times the defense is going to get the better of the offense, and vice versa. When you're winning the majority of the battles, speaks to being a good coordinator. I was also saying that he put up over 35 points a game when missing all of his top weapons last year for the majority of the season. I can't really call over 35 points a game incompetent and keep a straight face. That should be enough to win you every ballgame you play if your defense is worth anything (ours wasn't).

Affeinvasion said:
Sometimes you use plays that you don't expect to work to set up looks, formations, or other plays.

Bobo's numbers have been good, though I think you have to look at the average with any fcs teams thrown out.

Every team pads their stats against lesser competition. If you throw out those numbers, you have to throw out everyone's numbers. Really, you should probably throw out anything but conference numbers to get a true indicator of how good someone is.

Your first sentence is very true. Sometimes plays are run with a low probability of success, but it sets up something that you can run later in play action off that same look. Play action is a huge part of our game and if it's not working, we'd have a hard time doing anything.

n5Z9hJk.png
Lol LenDale

rYoJAwV.jpg

(THU) Miami @ Virginia Tech by 7
(FRI) BYU @ Boise State by 9
Texas @ Kansas State by 7 clear homer pick. I don't think we've won in Manhatten in over 9000 years
Georgia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 4
Michigan @ Michigan State by 10
West Virginia @ Oklahoma State by 5
Arizona @ Washington State by 7
Temple @ UCF by 9
Ole Miss @ LSU by 4
Ohio State @ Penn State by 6
USC @ Utah by 4
Arizona State @ Washington by 7

LegoDad

(FRI) BYU @ Boise State by 9
Texas @ Kansas State by 7 clear homer pick. I don't think we've won in Manhatten in over 9000 years
Temple @ UCF by 9
Ole Miss @ LSU by 4
Ohio State @ Penn State by 6
USC @ Utah by 4

Last time you won in Manhattan was 2002. It was 17-14.

I was hoping someone captured this when I saw it last night.

CFB GAF Pick'em Week 9 Games

(THU) Miami @ Virginia Tech by 4
(FRI) BYU @ Boise State by 4
Texas @ Kansas State by 4
Michigan @ Michigan State by 4
West Virginia @ Oklahoma State by 4
Arizona @ Washington State by 4
Temple @ UCF by 4
Ole Miss @ LSU by 4
Ohio State @ Penn State by 4
USC @ Utah by 4
Arizona State @ Washington by 4

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
(THU) Miami @ Virginia Tech by 6
(FRI) BYU @ Boise State by 10
Texas @ Kansas State by 14
Georgia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 5
Michigan @ Michigan State by Avogadro's Number
Arizona @ Washington State by 5
Temple @ UCF by 7
Ole Miss @ LSU by 10
Ohio State @ Penn State by 18
USC @ Utah by 7
Arizona State @ Washington by 6

Enfinit

CFB GAF Pick'em Week 9 Games

(FRI) BYU @ Boise State by 6
Texas @ Kansas State by 10
Michigan @ Michigan State by 17
Temple @ UCF by 6
Ole Miss @ LSU by 4
Ohio State @ Penn State by 14
USC @ Utah by 4

KingGondo

Banned
If it makes you feel any better, I hear you're moving up the list for Tyron Johnson.
That *does* make me feel better. Where'd you hear that?

So it's like when nothing happened at Texas A&M with Manziel. *wink wink nudge nudge*
Not really. Some of the stuff SI alleged was ridiculous on its face and was shown to be so. I don't doubt that some money changed hands though, but that's the case on most campuses around the country.

andycapps

Texas @ Kansas State by 6
Michigan @ Michigan State by 12
Temple @ UCF by 6
Ole Miss @ LSU by 4
Ohio State @ Penn State by 12
USC @ Utah by 4

(THU) Miami @ Virginia Tech by 3
Texas @ Kansas State by 21
Georgia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 7
Michigan @ Michigan State by 20
West Virginia @ Oklahoma State by 14
Arizona @ Washington State by 1
Temple @ UCF by 3
Ole Miss @ LSU by 10
Ohio State @ Penn State by 10
USC @ Utah by 4

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
That *does* make me feel better. Where'd you hear that?

General mention in a Rivals article as a threat to pick him up. Nothing too specific, just "Many thought LSU and Texas A&M might be the biggest threats, but keep an eye on Oklahoma State. The Cowboys are gaining momentum in Louisiana and already have a commitment from training partner and friend Jalen McCleskey."

Some guys on 247 apparently switched their "Crystal Ball" predictions to Oklahoma State for him as well, but I don't put much stock in those. I've talked to people that used to work there and they've said it's really just a gimmick, as people change their predictions on that at the drop of a hat, often on pretty flimsy information (like "OMG he retweeted a coach from X school!").

Enron

Banned

Over the last few years we've really had players that are both exceptionally talented AND don't have their heads in their asses, so the offense has looked way better. Bobo is pretty predictable, though, and im convinced that he's the same coach - its just lately we've had so many talented guys playing well that it doesn't matter. I still don't really care for him.

KingGondo

Banned
General mention in a Rivals article as a threat to pick him up. Nothing too specific, just "Many thought LSU and Texas A&M might be the biggest threats, but keep an eye on Oklahoma State. The Cowboys are gaining momentum in Louisiana and already have a commitment from training partner and friend Jalen McCleskey."

Some guys on 247 apparently switched their "Crystal Ball" predictions to Oklahoma State for him as well, but I don't put much stock in those. I've talked to people that used to work there and they've said it's really just a gimmick, as people change their predictions on that at the drop of a hat, often on pretty flimsy information (like "OMG he retweeted a coach from X school!").
Thanks.

Yeah, we've had a lot of luck in Louisiana recently (apparently one of our grad assistants is a great recruiter and hails from the NOLA area).

McCleskey was a good pickup, and apparently his father (who played in the NFL iirc) is Johnson's personal coach. We could really use a guy like him.

I'm usually not that impressed with recruits' high school highlight films, but Johnson's is impressive. His vision and lateral movement are special.

Arizona @ Washington State by 1

Cyan ban this guy

(FRI) BYU @ Boise State by 7
Michigan @ Michigan State by 24
West Virginia @ Oklahoma State by 7
Temple @ UCF by 6
Ole Miss @ LSU by 10
USC @ Utah by 10
Arizona State @ Washington by 8

My deal with Mariota. He's inaccurate, he sense pressure whne there isn't any, can't make the intermediate to deep throw over the middle, no development this year and he can't anticipate.

I seen the some of the lines. 12 pt underdogs to you chochas at home, made me die a little inside.

Get ready for the TAINT thats bound to happen

My deal with Mariota. He's inaccurate, he sense pressure whne there isn't any, can't make the intermediate to deep throw over the middle, no development this year and he can't anticipate.

Wait, are you telling me Oregon just has system QBs....

Draxal

Jakkkkkkkkkkkk it's gonna be a wonderful game, you slut.
hackenberg Will probably ball

Hackenberg is going to die midgame, the talent mismatch between tOSU's dline (best in the B1g) and PSU's oline (would be worst in the MAC) will get him killed.

You can already tell Hackenberg's David Carring it right now, I actualy feel really bad for the him, he's getting Tom Savaged.

(THU) Miami @ Virginia Tech by 10
Texas @ Kansas State by 10
Georgia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 10
West Virginia @ Oklahoma State by 10
Arizona @ Washington State by 10
Temple @ UCF by 10
Ole Miss @ LSU by 10
USC @ Utah by 10
Arizona State @ Washington by 10

Kacar

Buckeyes!

Hoping for a game similar to last year.

"the anal bead bowl" was the best part of this weeks meltdown.

tokkun

Texas @ Kansas State by 7
Michigan @ Michigan State by 18
Temple @ UCF by 4
Ole Miss @ LSU by 7
Ohio State @ Penn State by 14
USC @ Utah by 4

Texas @ Kansas State by 7
Michigan @ Michigan State by 7
Temple @ UCF by 4
Ole Miss @ LSU by 4
Ohio State @ Penn State by 7
USC @ Utah by 4

Texas @ Kansas State by 22
Georgia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 42
Michigan@ Michigan State by 7
Arizona @ Washington State by 29
Temple @ UCF by 4
Ole Miss @ LSU by 11
Ohio State @ Penn State by 15
USC @ Utah by 6

JCX

(THU) Miami @ Virginia Tech by 9
Texas @ Kansas State by 11
Georgia Tech @ Pittsburgh by 6
Michigan @ Michigan State by 20
West Virginia @ Oklahoma State by 8
Arizona @ Washington State by 12
Temple @ UCF by 6
Ole Miss @ LSU by 9
Ohio State @ Penn State by 12
USC @ Utah by 8

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Scored free tickets to the Nebraska/Rutgers game. Woop woop! Hope the Scarlet Knights give the Scarlet and Cream a good game, but I wouldn't mind a Husker blowout, either. :p

Never seen the Huskers lose either, so it would be a terrible night to have that streak broken.

Schmitty

(THUMiami @ Virginia Tech by 6
Texas @ Kansas State by 6
Georgia Tech @ Pittsburgh by10
Michigan @ Michigan State by 21
West Virginia @ Oklahoma State by13
Arizona @ Washington State by 6
Temple @ UCF by 4
Ole Miss @ LSU by 4
Ohio State @ Penn State by 10 I've got to make up for my horrible pick em year so far. I'll still be pulling for PSU in the stands though!
USC @ Utah by 4

cdyhybrid

(THU) Miami @ Virginia Tech by 10
Michigan @ Michigan State by 14
Temple @ UCF by 7
Ole Miss @ LSU by 4