• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheap Arse Gaffer |Europe| We Need To Go Cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

Huh, so why haven't mine come through? Can't be the bank rejecting it due to anti fraud as I'd have had an automated call - and it went through 3D Secure OK. Is it just because it was a large purchase (I bought 4 games at once)?
It will come, sometimes it just takes a little longer for them to authorise the payment.

69wpm

Huh, so why haven't mine come through? Can't be the bank rejecting it due to anti fraud as I'd have had an automated call - and it went through 3D Secure OK. Is it just because it was a large purchase (I bought 4 games at once)?

No idea, maybe the credit card process takes longer.

On the other subject: I know saving money is great and all, but please don't exaggerate. Using dubious services and committing crime is not the right way to save money. If you want to save a buck wait for the price to go down.

This argument seems a little silly: Address fraud is a thing, but odds of authorities going for you because you have a foreign digital content account is pretty low. Unless that address was actually being physically abused, odds are your local gov doesn't care - they go for the bigger fishes that commit real serious fraud.

That said most regions get the same content bar maybe Japan (due to cultural differences ect) - there's rarely reason to really need a foreign account. Bar for the odd title that doesn't get localised. But I think you have to allow for a bit of this trading about, if a game is never imported, people won't learn about it, or be able to say "hey we want this too!". Still remember how Europe had to campaign and complain to Nintendo Europe about Animal Crossing GC. We got it then only because people knew what it was and called for it. Now it's a huge system seller worldwide.

I know that's not really the same thing, but technically importing is a bit frowned upon in markets. It sort of took mass-imports of American Animal Crossing to get the point across. There are still many games you have to import to enjoy, if you actively criminalise digital importing, then you take away one of the joys of gaming, being able to discover the unknown, unique or too-quirky-to-localise titles.

Colin.

CHEAP 3DS/XL anywhere? Maybe even bundled with Pokemon X/Y.

Would really appreciate it.

You can get a 3DS XL in all its basic colour variants for £125 from Amazon. And you can get Pokemon X/Y for £27.98 from Toys R Us with the code "9908080989998" The only bundle I know of involving that game is the £100 2DS bundle from Sainsburys that includes X/Y, but that is in store only, and stock will vary.

I thought this was a bargain thread, not a law thread.

If you buy something through illegal means just because it's cheaper, and you get in trouble with either the vendor or authorities for it, it will no longer be cheap and your purchase will no longer be a bargain. ;-) It might be a bit of a stretch, but as a cheap arse GAF'er it's good to fully realise what you're getting into before you jump on a "deal".

As 69wpm stated: "I know saving money is great and all, but please don't exaggerate. Using dubious services and committing crime is not the right way to save money. If you want to save a buck wait for the price to go down."

Gee

Really tempted by that Vita Tearaway bundle on amazon.de for 149 euros. I also have a 10 euro voucher. Having to spend at least another 25 euros on an 8 gig memory card is what's killing me though.

If you have ps+, 8GB won't cut it.
Just imported a 64gb from Japan (80e) including the fast shipping option.

Hurts a bit but you are set for the long run

Silex

About Borderlinx: I guess technically you're also committing address fraud, unless they actually buy your order for you. Then it would be as if you bought your order from them instead of the store they got it from, and it would be considered a normal financial transaction between you and Borderlinx. Also when they post your order to you, customs gets to review whatever you're importing and have you pay VAT and import taxes. Unless Borderlinx marks down the value of your order. They would then be liable of mail fraud.

Nothing is illegal here.
I know for a fact that at least Amazon is aware of such services, and approves them (or doesn't do anything against them). I'm talking about physical items of course, this has nothing to do with PSN.

Danj

Just a heads up - apparently GAME's digital download system is screwed up today according to their CS and it won't be fixed till Monday, so don't expect immediate delivery if you buy download games from there right now.

Tomodachi

ItalyGAF and beyond

2DS at 99€ on amazon.it, be quick to order it as it will surely go up again once it goes back in stock (on tuesday).

Zafir

Hi Guys, I don't post much here, but any deals for NFS Rivals or Madden for PS4?

Thanks
See the pages before for the discussion regarding US versions. US versions is about as cheap as you'll get.

If you don't want to mess around with US accounts, here's the cheapest I've found for retail copies -

Madden - http://www.zavvi.com/games-ps4/madden-nfl-25/10817174.html
NFS - http://www.base.com/buy/product/need-for-speed-rivals-ps4/dgc-nfsrps4.htm

Amazon did have NSF for £45 when I bought it from them around release, they've put the price up by £10 now though which is weird.

Only, Sony condones it and all of our tax collectors don't know about it or don't seem to care.
Our tax collectors should really be concerned about sorting out the large companies that are avoiding paying millions in tax by skirting around the rules and using up loopholes and offshore holdings, fake loans etc. as opposed to chasing after bedroom gamers that buy games from foreign digital stores.

Seems like Zavvi are sucking up to customers, potentially to make up for the Tearaway debacle.

Lewis Marsh ‏@lewismarsh1993 13m
I open my package from @zavvi and there was a big bar of maltesers in the box with my headphones. That's great customer service!

Jake Dawson ✌ ‏@JakeDawson7 1u
Wow @zavvi sent me a big bar of malteaser chocolate free with the Toy Story box set I ordered. LEGENDS!

So if you want free Maltesers, go buy something at Zavvi! ;-)

Son Of D

Yes, it is great for local multiplayer. And besides the sports, there are other fun modes like the Bullet Bill Race or the themed worlds.

Neat, might bite at that price then.

Seems like Zavvi are sucking up to customers, potentially to make up for the Tearaway debacle.

So if you want free Maltesers, go buy something at Zavvi! ;-)

Yeah I noticed that yesterday actually when the Blu ray I got from them came in. I feel that it's just a little Christmas thing though.

Also, for those who want an Xbox One and a lot of launch titles, look no further

Does anyone here know anyone who actually buys those bundles? Only person I know is my friend's boyfriend bought the £800 Xbox One bundle from Game because he really wanted one. She wasn't amused.

Addnan

Eh, be careful with the Maltesers. Someone may have accidentally sent them. Expect letter from lawyer asking for them back.

Zafir

Neat, might bite at that price then.

Yeah I noticed that yesterday actually when the Blu ray I got from them came in. I feel that it's just a little Christmas thing though.

Also, for those who want an Xbox One and a lot of launch titles, look no further

Does anyone here know anyone who actually buys those bundles? Only person I know is my friend's boyfriend bought the £800 Xbox One bundle from Game because he really wanted one. She wasn't amused.
Who knows.

I doubt they'll sell any today. The Xbox One is in stock at Tesco and on Argos' ebay store at the moment.

Edit: In other news I wish Amazon would package books better. I ordered that The Sky Final Fantasy artbook as it finally dropped in price. The box had pretty much fallen apart on arrival. The artbook box is mostly undamaged, but one of the corners is scuffed/pushed in slighty. Not very pleased. :(

jimi_dini

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut (Wii U) - 15pounds

Dark Souls Prepare To Die (PS3) - 15pounds
Dark Souls Prepare To Die (360) - 15pounds
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 (PS3) - 15pounds
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 (360) - 15pounds
Bomba: Two Souls (PS3) - 20pounds
Ni No Kuni (PS3) - 15pounds

and all of those but Two Souls are in 25pounds for 2 games sale as well

Saints Row IV (PS3) - 15pounds (not in 25pounds for 2 sale)

And in reality you're not buying just something worth $5 obviously.

Yes, I actually do. The only time I buy games digitally, when they are not available physically (which means typical $15-full-price-games, and I don't buy those at $15 price point) and when they are on sale. The $5 was actually accurate. I doubt anyone in their right mind would buy $60 full price games from US PSN. Because they could just import the physical game as well.

You probably already have a good deal of stuff on your Hong Kong account

I don't buy anything at all on HK PSN. My main account is from HK, because my PS3 is from HK. And PSN+ Asia sucks btw.

Iirc if you want to order a digital download from Amazon.com (either for PC or now in their new PlayStation Store), you have to provide them with a USA billing address. So there is no way to do that legally.

Friend in US buys a game using his address and his creditcard. He sends the code to me. I use it using my US PSN account. I don't do that, but it would be as legal as him placing his creditcard on my PSN account and I use it to buy a game/DLC. It would be a TOS violation because of the US PSN account. Just like just having a US account w/o buying anything.

geordiemp

Last gen on 360 I would often wait a month or 2 for retail to drop to £ 30 and then buy.

Just got our 2 x Ps4 for xmas (unopened) and wanting to buy some games.

But at £ 55 a pop Its a sticking point on principal, especially when some last gen games have already dropped to sub £ 30 (BF4 on 360 Special offer for example).

I have searched all over to find options, and everywhere is the same, Ac4, Bf4, Ghosts all within a £ 1 or so difference everywhere.

What do you guys think - will these prices drop after xmas - I just cant see everyone paying £ 55 for games 3 months after release ?

Friend in US buys a game using his address and his creditcard. He sends the code to me. I use it using my US PSN account. I don't do that, but it would be as legal as him placing his creditcard on my PSN account and I use it to buy a game/DLC. It would be a TOS violation because of the US PSN account. Just like just having a US account w/o buying anything.

Nice try, but no. :)

Look at the back of any box of your PS3 games. It states: "RESALE and RENTAL are prohibited unless expressly authorised by SCEE".

I doubt it would be any different with PSN codes. Unless your friend has permission from Sony USA to resell his code to you, what you're doing is also not legal.

Again: no judging, just saying it how it is.

Zafir

Last gen on 360 I would often wait a month or 2 for retail to drop to £ 30 and then buy.

But at £ 55 a pop Its a sticking point on principal, especially when some last gen games have already dropped to sub £ 30 (BF4 on 360 Special offer for example).

I have searched all over to find options, and everywhere is the same, Ac4, Bf4, Ghosts all within a £ 1 or so difference everywhere.

What do you guys think - will these prices drop after xmas - I just cant see everyone paying £ 55 for games 3 months after release ?
They'll keep their price as long as the console is selling like hot cakes. People need to buy games to be able to use their console after all.

Look at the back of any box of your PS3 games. It states: "RESALE and RENTAL are prohibited unless expressly authorised by SCEE".

I doubt it would be any different with PSN codes. Unless your friend has permission from Sony USA to resell his code to you, what you're doing is also not legal.

Again: no judging, just saying it how it is.
Then one can just buy the game, send the code to them, and it can be considered a gift.

Zafir

I can see that being a mistake. Last time they said the Killzone PS4 bundle had an extra controller, and some of the chat support people did confirm that it did because they took that PS4 page as truth and didn't actually know the product details. Of course after a while it was corrected on the site.

jimi_dini

Who is reselling anything?

A friend just entered his creditcard number in my PSN account. I bought something using his creditcard number. And at the same time I entered my creditcard number in his European PSN account and he bought stuff using my creditcard number. No resale happened. Sony sold a game to my + his PSN account and that was it. I could have also used PSN cards.

You are mixing up law and what Sony would like. "No resale nor rental" is also written on European PS3 games and I don't care about that, because the law overwrites Sony's wish. The law explicitly allows me to resell my games when I please to do so.

Tumas77

Neo Member
See the pages before for the discussion regarding US versions. US versions is about as cheap as you'll get.

If you don't want to mess around with US accounts, here's the cheapest I've found for retail copies -

Madden - http://www.zavvi.com/games-ps4/madden-nfl-25/10817174.html
NFS - http://www.base.com/buy/product/need-for-speed-rivals-ps4/dgc-nfsrps4.htm

Amazon did have NSF for £45 when I bought it from them around release, they've put the price up by £10 now though which is weird.

Thanks mate

Danj

Just a heads up - apparently GAME's digital download system is screwed up today according to their CS and it won't be fixed till Monday, so don't expect immediate delivery if you buy download games from there right now.

Seems to be fixed now, my stuff just came through.

You are mixing up law and what Sony would like. "No resale nor rental" is also written on European PS3 games and I don't care about that, because the law overwrites Sony's wish. The law explicitly allows me to resell my games when I please to do so.

Which law? The German law? You your-friend-using-your-credit-card-on-his-PSN was buying games in the US iirc. So that's under US law.

I remember the Nintendo site saying a site called gamesrocket offered them, but when I checked they were even more overpriced than GAME.

Prices seem ok, they're at least in line with the retail versions. Which can't be said for the prices on the eShop.

Edit: You're right about Gamesrocket though, their prices are only slightly cheaper than the eShop which is to say they aren't cheap at all.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
You can get a 3DS XL in all its basic colour variants for £125 from Amazon. And you can get Pokemon X/Y for £27.98 from Toys R Us with the code "9908080989998" The only bundle I know of involving that game is the £100 2DS bundle from Sainsburys that includes X/Y, but that is in store only, and stock will vary.

thanks!

whats the diff between 3ds and xl?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It's a new console launch, most stores will take advantage to get a decent margin, i doubt they'd drop in price that quickly.

For some games like BF4/ACIV it may be cheaper to buy the PS3 version and the upgrade for £10 to the PS4 version

thanks!

whats the diff between 3ds and xl?

XL:
+ bigger screens, which means better 3D.
+ longer battery life.
+ supposedly it's more ergonomical.
+ no screen scratching as was with the 3DS

- bigger screens, which also means that the image is stretched.
- doesn't come with charger. Is sold separately.
- I also believe that the boxes on the 3DS XL are slightly worse. Which can be remedied by using headphones.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
XL:
+ bigger screens, which means better 3D.
+ longer battery life.
+ supposedly it's more ergonomical.
+ no screen scratching as was with the 3DS

- bigger screens, which also means that the image is stretched.
- doesn't come with charger. Is sold separately.
- I also believe that the boxes on the 3DS XL are slightly worse. Which can be remedied by using headphones.
thanks man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom