• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chester Bennington is fronting Stone Temple Pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the rotating stage turned around following a joyous set from Vampire Weekend, the opening notes of Stone Temple Pilots’ "Vasoline" filled the Verizon Wireless Ampitheater. On the drum riser, a man stood with his back to the audience until it came time to deliver the opening line, "One time a thing occurred to me." And with that, the venue exploded as Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington turned and leaped into action, filling in on this night for the recently fired Scott Weiland.

Bennington brought his typical powerhouse vocals and abandon to the greatest hits set, which also featured a new track, "Out Of Time." Bennington did such an admirable job recreating Weiland’s vocals on songs like "Sex Type Thang" and "Wicked Garden" that one listener backstage thought it had been the former STP frontman, although the LP singer did step out vocally on a superb "Interstate Love Song." When the number finished, Bennington declared, "I fucking love that song," a sentiment he echoed after a standout "Dead & Bloated," where his trademark Linkin yell was brought into play on the ferocious ending.

In a statement, Bennington expressed his admiration for the band, which is in part how this collaboration came about. "I’ve loved STP since I was 13 years old and they’ve had a huge influence on me," explained Bennington. "When the opportunity came up to do something creative with them, I jumped at the chance. The guys in Linkin Park have been incredibly supportive of me undertaking this project while I’ve continued to work on new music with LP."

Potential band merge?

While Bennington remains busy with Linkin Park, he and STP were scheduled to play in the California's Bay Area today at a Live 105 radio show. Both Bennington and STP are also on the bill at the annual MusiCares event (where Bennington is being honored) in L.A. on May 30, so although nothing is confirmed, the big surprise on that night would be if they don’t play together.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...s-at-kroq-weenie-roast-20130519#ixzz2TlHjJvMI

If you dont remember what old singer sounded like
Plush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5UOC0C0x8Q

New Song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjnR-73BfzA

Live old songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHiEYrJJlZY

Tamanon

Banned
Could we finally see Shinoda take the reins at Linkin Park instead?

Never would've thought of Chester for STP, odd.

Holy shit, Chester actually sounds like Weiland.

RDreamer

I didn't even know Linkin Park were still around after Hybrid Theory.

Honestly, they're not a bad band overall. I know they get shit on a lot for the emo stuff, but they're really pretty alright. I feel like their sound changed enough on each album that they're not just floating by on that one success or aren't trying to be creative.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
jgfRrG4.jpg

This guy?

BigDug13

My friend makes up words to their songs. See if you can figure out the song:

"Douche it out, douche it deeper, just to douche it away."

Ramsiege

Honestly, they're not a bad band overall. I know they get shit on a lot for the emo stuff, but they're really pretty alright. I feel like their sound changed enough on each album that they're not just floating by on that one success or aren't trying to be creative.

I agree.

But back on topic.

This is surprising, but STP has always been Chester Bennington's favorite band so in a way it makes sense. The new song Out of Time isn't too bad.

goomba

Banned
How sad.

I mean he can sing fine but its just not Stone Temple Pilots without Scott.

Much like you couldn't replace Kurt Cobain from Nirvana or Chris Cornell from Soundgarden.

marrec

Banned
Scott's been holding STP back for over a decade now. And holy shit Chester learned to sing at some point between Hybrid Theory and now.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This is pretty cool and definitely fits Benningtons voice a lot better than Linkin Park ever did.

i dig it.

I didn't even know Linkin Park were still around after Hybrid Theory.

odd that you missed their last two megathreads that stuck around the front page for awhile and the LTTP threads that have been popping up since then.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think Chester can sing without autotune and processing because his natural live voice is really weak and thin sounding. Just listen to it.

IJoel

It doesn't sound bad, but it strikes me as him trying to sound like Weiland. One of the things I like about the new AiC lineup is that it sounds like AiC, without the frontman trying to sound like Staley.

tj hazuki

I don't think Chester can sing without autotune and processing because his natural live voice is really weak and thin sounding. Just listen to it.

Obviously you have not heard the guy sing live and not a recording from youtube either, I mean live in person. Guy has crazy range and great control to his voice. He is very diverse too.

I think I want to hear more of this side of Chester's voice often. This is what Dead By Sunrise should've sounded like.

Beardz

I was about to cry tears of sorrow... BUT, Chester sounds pretty awesome actually, and the song is pretty good tho... so

tumblr_l5se1iTR0T1qz4w1go1_500.jpg

Akahige

I agree, his vocal cords have been damaged though out the years with constant screaming, he needs a vocal trainer who specializes in that type of situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom