• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide

zulux21

I suppose these should be mentioned

6 albums have sold enough to get platinum
* "Minutes To Midnight" was certified four times platinum. It was previously certified double platinum on November 15, 2007.
* "A Thousand Suns" was certified platinum, having previously gone gold on January 11, 2011.
* "Hybrid Theory" has been certified eleven times platinum, having previously received a diamond award (ten times platinum) on January 7, 2005.
* "Living Things" has been certified platinum, having previously been certified gold on April 3, 2013.
* "Meteora" was certified seven times platinum, afer having been certified four times platinum on February 26, 2004.
* LINKIN PARK's collaboration album with Jay-Z, "Collision Course", was certified double platinum, having last been certified platinum on July 19, 2005.
Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/si...num-sales-milestones.html#3fhkR0Xe5vk88rRo.99

and 11 songs have also got platinum

The latest news is that 11 of the group's tracks have been certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America for sales of more than a million copies. The list includes: "What I've Done," "Bleed it Out," "In the End," "Leave Out All the Rest," "New Divide," "Burn it Down," "Numb," "One Step Closer," "Shadow of the Day," "Waiting for the End" and the group's "Numb/Encore" collaboration with Jay-Z.

Linkin Park sales soared by 5,332 percent during the days after Bennington's July 20 death, while the group recently became the first to hold the top three spots on the Billboard To Rock Albums Chart and to have 23 tracks simultaneously on the Hot Rock Songs survey.
http://wmmr.com/2017/08/14/11-linkin-park-tracks-certified-platinum-riaa-2/

not the way any of us wanted them to achieve this, but still noteworthy news.

LycanXIII

Update from the band

DH2tly4U0AAZkIC.jpg

https://twitter.com/linkinpark/status/900070103609262080

zulux21

Chester's ex wife Samantha Bennington doesn't have nice things to say about how the funeral was handled.

Samantha claimed that the private service distilled Bennington's life down to his time as a rock star, forgoing the other facets of his life, especially his family. She claimed that she was not given the chance to speak at the funeral and implied that there was only one photo of her and Bennington's son Draven. Furthermore, Samantha alleged that various family members were left off the program as well, while she also took a shot at the program itself saying it looked "like a cheap happy hour menu."

full story
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chester-benningtons-ex-wife-disgusted-with-funeral-w499434

Ashhong

Don't really feel like that kind of conflict needs to be out in the open. If you had a problem with the funeral take it up with whoever organized it, who I assume was his current wife.

LycanXIII

If you read her whole post, I can't tell what the main point of it is. Is it for Draven? For her? Attacking the rest of the band?

I have been a lady, I have kept my mouth shut. I hold my head up high but as my head starts to lower I'm not in my own truth.
Today I speak & I'm not looking for conflict but I will not sit on my hands any longer.
Today Dra is staying home with me. Yesterday was too soon. We have many thoughts & emotions on how everything & everything by all of his "wrecking crew" involved is handling this.

She posted on Wednesday, and Tuesday was when the band made the post about working on a benefit show.

I can understand wanting her son more involved in the funeral, but it comes down to who planned the service, and a lot of what was said wasn't needed publicly.

https://www.facebook.com/samantha.bennington/posts/10209954489194401

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It needs to be someone who has the same raw emotion like Chester. Otherwise, the songs lose all feeling.

Basically, don't do what Queen has done with their two awful fucking singers.

_Ryo_

It will be interesting to see who replaces Chester for this tribute. I'm not sure what they have in mind, though.

Dont expect them to replace Chester. Mike Shinoda has been taken a larger role lately as a vocalist and has been been getting better and better performing live.

If they continue it will either be as a studio band only or Shinoda will take over lead vocals completely. Either way, they will stay as a five piece.

Ashhong

It will be interesting to see who replaces Chester for this tribute. I'm not sure what they have in mind, though.

I didn't even think that it would be any kind of concert, but I guess that makes sense.

And there's no way Mike can sing Chester's parts. 1. He is needed for the harmony, and 2. He just doesn't have that kind of singing in him. IMO.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I could see Corey Taylor doing it.

Tingles down my spine right there. But between Slipknot and Stone Sour he's got enough on his plate, especially with all the drama that persists between both projects. I feel like he should just merge the two bands.

Darkatomz

There are hints that LP will still exist. As far as I am concerned, Chester is irreplaceable. The way I see it, Mike will step up to being the only lead singer.

---

Just wanted to say thank you to all our fans around the world for the tremendous outpouring of love, which has strengthened our spirit during this incredibly difficult time.

The five of us are so grateful for all of your support as we heal and build the future of Linkin Park.

We are working on a special public event in Los Angeles to honor Chester's memory, and look forward to sharing details with you soon.

Peace and love,

Phoenix and Linkin Park​

Chester's ex wife Samantha Bennington doesn't have nice things to say about how the funeral was handled.

full story
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chester-benningtons-ex-wife-disgusted-with-funeral-w499434

A) She's Chester's ex-wife, we know nothing about the circumstances there and her relationships with Chester's friends and other family
B) Making headlines on this while accusing the others of profiting off of Chester's death is insane, especially when bandmates and the like have done pretty much everything they can to NOT turn this into a public spectacle is fairly suspect
C) Airing these grievances publicly in an effort to slander and shame others is a dick move
D) This affair is none of our business and we know nothing of the Private life of Chester, and more importantly, we don't need to,
E) This is exactly one side of the story, from someone in a rather contentious position, who claims to know about the events of a funeral that she's complaining about not having been able to attend (how on earth could she give an unbiased and accurate account of those events if she wasn't there)
E) I need to say this again: This is none of our business and it's selfish of her to drag the public spectacle highlight onto herself and prance around declaring absolute moral righteousness as if she has the final word. Dragging this into the court of public opinion because she can't bring herself to deal with this anywhere else is fucking insane

jared leto honored chester at the mtv awards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9uK8T49aLI

Dammit I did not need these tears today

zeemumu

There are hints that LP will still exist. As far as I am concerned, Chester is irreplaceable. The way I see it, Mike will step up to being the only lead singer.

---

Just wanted to say thank you to all our fans around the world for the tremendous outpouring of love, which has strengthened our spirit during this incredibly difficult time.

The five of us are so grateful for all of your support as we heal and build the future of Linkin Park.

We are working on a special public event in Los Angeles to honor Chester's memory, and look forward to sharing details with you soon.

Peace and love,

Phoenix and Linkin Park​

That'd be interesting. Would probably be similar to Fort Minor, yeah?

That'd be interesting. Would probably be similar to Fort Minor, yeah?

No, Fort Minor is Mike's solo outfit and far more rap focused. His contributions to LP have been equal parts singing and rapping for years now, and the singing had begun to outpace the rapping. I'd expect that to continue into the future if the band keeps working together, and for other band members to contribute vocals, which we've seen a little of already.

zulux21

No, Fort Minor is Mike's solo outfit and far more rap focused. His contributions to LP have been equal parts singing and rapping for years now, and the singing had begun to outpace the rapping. I'd expect that to continue into the future if they keep working together.

I agree. beyond that if Mike wanted to do more rap he could just do another fort minor album (which he might do, I mean he did release a new single and the band might need some time apart, but given the event they already announced I have a feeling they are going to use each other for support not want time apart)

I also feel it's likely the next thing they do will be focused on honoring chester and try to reach as many people as possible.

and while something in the vain of hands held high chester focused could work something more like in between would be far more likely to reach more people.

Mario007

I agree. beyond that if Mike wanted to do more rap he could just do another fort minor album (which he might do, I mean he did release a new single and the band might need some time apart, but given the event they already announced I have a feeling they are going to use each other for support not want time apart)

I also feel it's likely the next thing they do will be focused on honoring chester and try to reach as many people as possible.

and while something in the vain of hands held high chester focused could work something more like in between would be far more likely to reach more people.
I still think they might release a cover of One More Light, maybe by the band or maybe by various artists like Kiiara who have been close with the band and want to honor it. Releasing One More Light as a single with Chesters vocals could a bit too weird.

LycanXIII

No, Fort Minor is Mike's solo outfit and far more rap focused. His contributions to LP have been equal parts singing and rapping for years now, and the singing had begun to outpace the rapping. I'd expect that to continue into the future if the band keeps working together, and for other band members to contribute vocals, which we've seen a little of already.

Yeah, I forgot that Brad did vocals on Until it Breaks.
https://youtu.be/ZEQJm49_9OE?t=2m23s

daTRUballin

Yeah, there's no way Mike will be able to sing Chester's parts, especially the heavy screaming parts. Although I'm willing to be proved wrong.

But as of now and how things currently stand, I have no idea how they're going to perform most of their songs live anymore without Chester unless they replace him with someone capable. Either way, it's never going to be the same anymore. :/

zulux21

Yeah, there's no way Mike will be able to sing Chester's parts, especially the heavy screaming parts. Although I'm willing to be proved wrong.

But as of now and how things currently stand, I have no idea how they're going to perform most of their songs live anymore without Chester unless they replace him with someone capable. Either way, it's never going to be the same anymore. :/

I mean.... they could also do new versions of them

there is no way that mike could pull off the original version of crawling but I could see him pulling off this version (tear warning :( )

plus the fans at least for the first tour likely wouldn't care about it not being the normal crawling, but instead to be with the band again and still be able to sing along.

zulux21

chester's family setting up a org to help stop copycat suicides

According to The Pulse Of Radio, the family of late LINKIN PARK frontman Chester Bennington is establishing an organization to help fans who are struggling to come to terms with the vocalist's suicide. Sources told TMZ that the organization will aim to raise awareness and provide resources to fans and young people contemplating suicide.

The Bennington family is said to be worried that fans may want to "glorify or somehow honor" the deaths of Bennington and his friend, SOUNDGARDEN singer Chris Cornell, by taking their own lives. Cornell hung himself on May 18, while Bennington ended his life the same way on July 20 — what would have been Cornell's 53rd birthday.

There is currently no timeline for when the organization will be established.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ch...bat-copycat-suicides.html#9O5DUVea7oViPv9y.99

Crispy

Since Chester died I've been listening to the albums I haven't paid attention to. While I understand why they didn't appeal to me years ago, I really like parts of them now. Especially 'waiting for the end' from ATS. Such an incredible song and preformance from Chester it gives me chills. This live studio version is great: https://youtu.be/pOnp32WlU3U

zulux21

Organized by Missing the Action singer Dylan Ross, ChesterFEST goes down September 23 at the Bungalow in Manchester, and will raise money for suicide prevention and mental health education group Hope For The Day. On July 20, Bennington took his own life and was found dead in his California home.

more info

Late Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington’s Dead By Sunrise bandmate Ryan Shuck discussed having dinner with Chester’s mother Susan after her son tragically passed away in July.

“[We] all took Susan to dinner, I fucking love that we did that, because I was going downhill. So we went to dinner and we started talking. Susan was super grateful, she was like, ‘Thank you so much. I didn’t know that I needed to get out, but I did. I’m so grateful that we’re having dinner together, and grateful.’ That’s a concept, grateful. I started feeling happy as Susan started telling us stories about Chester when he was a 2-year old.”

“She was telling me that he learned the entire Pop Eye movie at like 2 or 3 years old. He would sing and act out all the parts for everyone that came over to the house, the whole thing, and he would make them listen to the whole thing, he would make them sit. This is like little Chester, he probably weighed like 4 pounds, probably as big as a chihuahua. He was a little guy for a long time before he became [a big rock star].”

“We were all laughing at dinner, and we discovered something, that whenever we started talking about Chester, we couldn’t help but start laughing and having a good time. You can probably tell, I was pretty emotional when I came up, but as you start talking about him, you can’t help but start smiling. That’s what happened, and that gave me the direction to start writing something for his actual eulogy.”

a little bit more here

zulux21

Not really a fan of bumping this thread, but Mike posted on IG saying to stay tuned for some announcements this week.

I look forward to the announcements.

and I can get not being a fan of bumping it, but as far as I know there isn't another major linkin park thread on this site.

belushy

Banned

Nowise10

Damn, I want to go, I've never seen them live before. But I'm a broke college student.

Hoping it isn't their last performance ever.

Top Bottom