• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide

Strakt

Police released the 911 call made from chesters driver ; pretty hard to listen to as you can hear the housekeeper in the back yelling and crying :(

I listened to A Thousand Suns and was quite surprised with the album in comparison to what I know the band from (HT and Meteora). There's some pretty strong material on there. The last song in particular is quite sad in light of Cheaters suicide.

I feel A Thousand Suns is really overlooked as a whole. It's one of their better albums in their discography.

ZeoVGM

Banned
A Thousand Suns is my favorite LP album. I'm a sucker for when bands do something weird and different and experimental. If an album splits the fan base, it usually ends up being one of my favorites.

I should be able to rank the albums soon, once I'm done going through them all again.

Strakt

My official ranking

One More Light ( A lot of people hated this album, but it was amazing on my first listen and still is. Each song is packed with so much emotion and truth. I hope more people realize they werent "Selling out" and every single song was a struggle in one of their lives)
A Thousand Suns
Minutes To Midnight
Hybrid Theory/Reanimation
Meteora
Living Things
Hunting Party

A Thousand Suns is my favorite LP album. I'm a sucker for when bands do something weird and different and experimental. If an album splits the fan base, it usually ends up being one of my favorites.

I should be able to rank the albums soon, once I'm done going through them all again.

It's experimental but I think that's why I like it. The Follow up, Living Things isn't bad either.

ZeoVGM

Banned
2017-07-24_2123.png

Thought this was kind of neat. LP is the only artist with two remix albums in the top selling remix albums worldwide.

(Very well deserved on Reanimation, as well.)

RDreamer

I might rank them:

Hybrid Theory > Meteora > A Thousand Suns > Living Things > Hunting Party > One More Light > Minutes to Midnight

It feels nearly impossible for me to rank their albums though, which is kind of a statement in and of itself. Hybrid Theory and Meteora left so much of a mark but at the same time I played the shit out of them so much that I can't really listen to them the same way now. I feel like they're at the top, but are they really? Nowadays I listen to ATS and Living Things and they feel really fresh, but is that just because I wore out HT and Meteora so much? No real idea.

And over the last few days I've discovered Waiting for the End is definitely top like 2 or 3 LP songs.

Thought this was kind of neat. LP is the only artist with two remix albums in the top selling remix albums worldwide.

(Very well deserved on Reanimation, as well.)

That's cool, though I'm honestly not a huge fan of Recharged. Reanimation is fucking amazing, though.

Koopatrol

So cool to see Matt Heafy of Trivium do a cover of One More Light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sskSnJ2SCns

I still keep thinking that this isn't real and that Chester will come back. God I wish this wasn't real. Literally the night before he died I was talking with my mom about getting tickets for the show on October 22nd as she is a huge fan as well.

Also, after listening to One More Light album now... it hits pretty hard. I remember disliking Heavy and Good Goodbye when they were released. I feel so bad now though, I really should've given the songs Heavy and Battle Symphony a chance. I feel especially bad after watching that interview with Chester where he describes how there's another Chester in his own head, and how this Chester always tries to bring him down... and that's what the lyrics of Heavy describe. Hell, even the music video describes it. I remember liking LP because I knew Chester's struggles, and I felt I could really relate to the struggles he would communicate in his songs. It's why I didn't understand why people would call LP "edgy," because I knew the lyrics came from a very real place. It's almost like with this latest album that I forgot about that, and I feel really bad about dismissing some of the songs so quickly. One More Light and Invisible are still probably my favorite tracks on the record, those are really good songs. As for ranking the LP studio albums, my list might go something like this...

Meteora > Hybrid Theory > MTM > THP > ATS > OML > Living Things

But yeah, it's super hard for me to rank them. MTM, THP, and ATS are kinda interchangeable depending on what I'm in the mood for. I remember really loving Living Things when it came out, and it definitely still has some bangers like Lost In The Echo and In My Remains. Also really dig Until It Breaks and Mark The Graves.

Erv

Maybe Chester has done it before but I have watched a ton of lp performances and I never saw him let fans touch him like that. Maybe he knew he was going to commit suicide soon. Maybe not but it's very weird to see him in the crowd like that.

LycanXIII

Mario007

Talking to myself has over 29 million views in just over 5 days. Heavy has around 55 millions sincd February. People are really taking this as the last single, I guess.

Haruko

Talking to myself has over 29 million views in just over 5 days. Heavy has around 55 millions sincd February. People are really taking this as the last single, I guess.

I was hoping for Battle Symphony, Sorry For Now, or Halfway Right to be released as a single originally, but now I feel like they should just release One More Light with a tribute music video behind it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
"Battle Symphony" is such a huge catchy song and I think would have been a big hit.

Would be weird to release now though.

Seventy70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOnp32WlU3U

so good..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeGEFSLDB2s

his last performance of crawling.. you could tell he knew it was his last one by his body language.. :(
Really sad.

I don't think it necessarily means he knew what he was going to do. It's probably more that he knew Chris's birthday was coming up and he was really struggling emotionally going in. Trying to get through the day itself must've been hell.

Speculation is pointless though. I suppose it's just a way of trying to cope with it. Suicide is a very hard think to process mentally. This must have been what Chester had been feeling (to a much greater degree)

zulux21

I was hoping for Battle Symphony, Sorry For Now, or Halfway Right to be released as a single originally, but now I feel like they should just release One More Light with a tribute music video behind it.

regardless of events one more light should be released as a single.
it's the best track on the new CD
more people need to listen to it :/

Mario007

regardless of events one more light should be released as a single.
it's the best track on the new CD
more people need to listen to it :/
Yeah definitely. I kinda felt it was always going to be the last single as well. Not sure if or how to release it now, it's Chester singing about a friend dying. Kinda hard making that a Chester tribute song unless they'd rerecord the lyrics with the band members or maybe Kiiara.

zulux21

Yeah definitely. I kinda felt it was always going to be the last single as well. Not sure if or how to release it now, it's Chester singing about a friend dying. Kinda hard making that a Chester tribute song unless they'd rerecord the lyrics with the band members or maybe Kiiara.

I mean it was a song singing about losing someone in general and how even if others don't care he will.

there are hints towards it being about losing someone to suicide but it wasn't written with anyone in particular in mind that I know of.

people seem to have gotten the idea that it was written for Chris Cornell but the song was released before he took his own life so that isn't possible.

The number of people on my Facebook sharing that fake Chester Was Murdered (to cover up a pedo ring!!) article is freaking depressing. Who writes that kind of trash and is able to sleep at night? And how can people actually believe it?

The number of people on my Facebook sharing that fake Chester Was Murdered (to cover up a pedo ring!!) article is freaking depressing. Who writes that kind of trash and is able to sleep at night? And how can people actually believe it?

Dude there was reports that someone hacked Chester's wife's Twitter and started tweeting about how she encouraged him to kill himself and she cheated on him with Mike shinoda. People are sick in the head.

Haruko

I mean it was a song singing about losing someone in general and how even if others don't care he will.

there are hints towards it being about losing someone to suicide but it wasn't written with anyone in particular in mind that I know of.

people seem to have gotten the idea that it was written for Chris Cornell but the song was released before he took his own life so that isn't possible.

Here's some info on song's origin:

One More Light is the eponymous song on this album. Mike Shinoda sat down to describe the song in an interview with Zach Sang:

"The song, “One More Light”, was actually, it’s kind of sad…a friend of ours who worked for the label passed away. She got cancer and it was, like, really, really fast. It was super sad…I was in the studio with Eg [White], and we had been talking…I told him, “Dude, there’s nothing else on my mind today…he was telling me about one of his friends who had passed away, and we just got on this thing like, let’s just write about it…The point of the song is that through something really, really traumatic…one of the most important things you can do is to let people know that you care."

cyber_ninja

Beautiful picture.

This is from Fan's gathering in Russia to honor Chester.

I'm still super sad and angry at the same time... I had to stop listening to LP and it seem to help for now. Hope that it's not the end of Linkin Park and that band would carry on in some shape or form.

zulux21

I wonder how feasible it would be to work with people and work with a site like Humble bundle to create a music/music game bundle to help raise money to aid with suicide awareness.

ideally it could be tied into Seether's Annual Rise Above Fest next year (which is already the largest suicide awareness event in the world) but getting them on board to allow people who donate the humble bundle to get access to a live stream of the concerts could be tricky.

the whole thing would be tricky... but it would be cool if it could happen.

could honor the musicians who have left us via suicide, perhaps even other entertainers like robin willaims as well.

Here's some info on song's origin:

ah thanks.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I want the band to release "Sharp Edges" as a final single from the album. The moment I heard it, I had hoped for that because it just feels huge. It's very un-Linkin Park and the chorus is a monster.

But now I feel like it would be a really nice tribute to Chester.

I want the band to release "Sharp Edges" as a final single from the album. The moment I heard it, I had hoped for that because it just feels huge. It's very un-Linkin Park and the chorus is a monster.

But now I feel like it would be a really nice tribute to Chester.

It was his favourite song from the new album too I believe.

I'm debating a small tattoo of the Linkin Park Logo, a way to pay my respects to one of my favourite bands, and favourite humans. The fact I was at the final gig makes it even more special. Not sure where to have it though, probably wrist or behind my ear.

RIP buddy. :'( Still shook from all this a week later.

LycanXIII

It was his favourite song from the new album too I believe.

I'm debating a small tattoo of the Linkin Park Logo, a way to pay my respects to one of my favourite bands, and favourite humans. The fact I was at the final gig makes it even more special. Not sure where to have it though, probably wrist or behind my ear.

RIP buddy. :'( Still shook from all this a week later.

I was thinking of their new logo on my wrist as well, with one edge a different color, instead of just omitting it.

_Ryo_

Dude there was reports that someone hacked Chester's wife's Twitter and started tweeting about how she encouraged him to kill himself and she cheated on him with Mike shinoda. People are sick in the head.

I saw this happen in real time. I was fucking livid.

Prologue

Didn't realize he had so many kids, with most of them being young. And now they all have to live with that now.

Mental illness is a terrible thing, just a bit more sympathetic for the people left behind.

Oidisco

This happened with Chris Cornell too. I imagine the people who wrote about Chester are the same who wrote about Chris being murdered. They even used that pedo ring cover up as the reasoning.
The guy who wrote those articles harassed Chris's family and friends and he's probably doing the same to Chester, it's fucking horrible. Chris's brother Peter had to shut down his social media accounts because of these people and they even started calling his mother.

Haruko

Mike is tweeting:

One week. Feels like forever. I'm here for a couple updates.
https://twitter.com/mikeshinoda/status/890811295431237632
If you need a (local) place to celebrate Chester, look to http://tiny.cc/lpmemorial and the amazing fan sites I've previously mentioned.
https://twitter.com/mikeshinoda/status/890811777725771776
If you're having suicidal thoughts, we urge you to go here http://chester.linkinpark.com/
https://twitter.com/mikeshinoda/status/890812493500633088
If you're gonna buy merch in honor of Chester, consider who the purchase benefits. Don't give money to scumbag bootleggers & opportunists.
https://twitter.com/mikeshinoda/status/890813066618691584

pDiXnfs.png

x3SIFB5.png

Top Bottom