• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chester Bennington is fronting Stone Temple Pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.. thats a weird turn of events.

His voice actually isn't bad for this stuff at all. He sounds good, but I wont lie, its kinda jarring. Even so, I was able to enjoy it for what its worth.

Jburton

Banned
His voice is awful live ....... especially when trying to wail or scream, sound very little like the recordings.

He is no Scott Weiland.

What is this, Scott Whineland?

... Sorry.

Seriously, though. Weird news. Don't like the new song, but its not like I've given new music from STP any consideration since the 90s anyways. Sounds okay on the live, "old" songs. Certainly not appealing enough to consider going to a live show, but not a travesty.

What is this, Scott Whineland?

... Sorry.

Seriously, though. Weird news. Don't like the new song, but its not like I've given new music from STP any consideration since the 90s anyways. Sounds okay on the live, "old" songs. Certainly not appealing enough to consider going to a live show, but not a travesty.

I'm just glad I was able to see them when they were actually good. No way would I ever even consider seeing them live with this Chester bozo.

Just go back and listen to old stuff of Weiland's, his voice is miles beyond this guys. It's the same thing with Layne Staley. No one could replace him, no one should. Weiland is an idiot too but he was STP really.

Jburton

Banned
I'm just glad I was able to see them when they were actually good. No way would I ever even consider seeing them live with this Chester bozo.

Just go back and listen to old stuff of Weiland's, his voice is miles beyond this guys. It's the same thing with Layne Staley. No one could replace him, no one should. Weiland is an idiot too but he was STP really.

100%, agree totally.

TheMan

he's trying too hard to be weiland in the live videos, and in the new material he sounds too much like his regular self. supremely odd choice for a frontman, but STP's heyday was eons ago anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Oh, I agree. Even moreso for Alice in Chains. I haven't even listened to the new guy outside of a single or two. I know my brother enjoyed the first album they did, but I just have no motivation.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i heard that new song on the radio, i was surprised. it almost sounded like a classic rock song

i'm afraid to listen to the older STP songs with Chester's vocals though.

also, still a fan of Linkin Park. I listened to all of their music one day, 8 hours of different songs. it was a good day.

Andrew.

Banned
No fucking thanks. Wow, STP, why?

As bad as that dude fronting Alice in Chains.

As someone who just saw AiC a few weeks ago, get outta here with that shit.

Will sounds fucking amazing and if you closed your eyes at that show, you would've sworn it was Layne up there.

BFIB

Will sounds fucking amazing and if you closed your eyes at that show, you would've sworn it was Layne up there.

Agreed, and I really, really REALLY wanted to hate the new AiC album.

I think Bennington is a solid choice. Its just a shame that Weiland can't get his shit together.

Andrew.

Banned

He sounds like shit live and is a shill. Even comparing him to Layne is a travesty. Such a shame.

LakeEarth

He sounds like shit live and is a shill. Even comparing him to Layne is a travesty. Such a shame.

No one can sound like Layne, but I completely disagree though, I've seen them twice with the new guy and he sounds great.

I am also very thankful that the new AiC albums are quality. They don't quite hit old AiC levels, but I like them way better than the new albums from other 90s grunge bands.

I haven't listened to the live stuff, but for the studio track Chester's lacking the fullness of Weiland's voice. Not bad, but missing that crucial x-factor that makes old STP so great.

Andrew.

Banned
No one can sound like Layne, but I completely disagree though, I've seen them twice with the new guy and he sounds great.

I am also very thankful that the new AiC albums are quality. They don't quite hit old AiC levels, but I like them way better than the new albums from other 90s grunge bands.

New AiC is still better than 90% of the "rock" music out there nowadays anyway. Get off my lawn.

CloudWolf

Everytime someone mentions how 'great' Hybrid Theory and Meteora are supposed to be, I feel like I'm missing something. Surely I can't be the only one that has always hated those albums?

Agreed. Sure, he's not Layne, but Layne is dead. The new guy is pretty good for what it is and Jerry Cantrell is still as great as he was in the 90's and his guitar playing and harmonies play a major part in why I love AiC.

Grym

I dunno. I entered thinking "this is gonna be pure shit." Then I listened to the live old songs. It started out with me being pleasantly surprised at how well the songs were coming off; seemed like a okay emulation of Scott's vocals initially. But that slowly faded away as I listened to more songs. His voice is just not powerful enough to carry these vocals. Then I listened to the new song and...yeah, I dunno...feels empty to me somehow. Can't say I like it.

Big STP fan, I consider Purple one of the best albums of the 90s - I like where this is going. Surprising!

He just needs to put a little more UNF behind that voice - maybe gargle some whiskey.

Yeesh, we're this desperate for good rock/grunge now? Opinions and all that but I've heard it and it's nowhere near quality. But let's agree to disagree because many of these bands don't understand. It's happened to Janes addiction, Alice in chains, now STP. Soundgarden is about the only one giving us reliable stuff with original members. Maybe I'm a purist.

I seriously wonder how they found that AiC guy. Held a Layne Staley singalong contest?

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Well he's no Scott Weiland that's for sure. I believe I'll just continue listening to the old STP stuff.

I really like the new song. It's getting a lot of radio play here in LA.

If I get a chance to see this lineup play live, I'm definitely there.

MG310

I appreciate that he's trying to go in a different direction vocally than he normally does, and that part sounds good but then he starts to scream and turns into Cartman.

Alphahawk

I heard. The new Linkin Park single on one of my Pandora stations and it was just so bland. Like if it was awful, it'd at least be somewhat interesting, but it's just so... inoffensive and ho hum.

wetwired

I used to love these guys (still do), I had no idea the 2010 self titled album even exists?! how was it?

Gonna grab it anyway but curious to know how it stands up to long time fans.

As for this new guy, never liked linkin park but I'm not really offended by the idea as I thought they were long dead anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Obviously you have not heard the guy sing live and not a recording from youtube either, I mean live in person. Guy has crazy range and great control to his voice. He is very diverse too.

I think I want to hear more of this side of Chester's voice often. This is what Dead By Sunrise should've sounded like.

I've heard him many times, including live. He has virtually no control, and a thin, reedy, generally off-key voice. I don't know what you're listening to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom