• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChileGAF |OT| CTM weon que pulento el thread!

FuuRe

AiMCyFR.jpg

Hi, and welcome to the chilean GAF thread, if you're planning to pay us a visit feel free to ask us, and if you live here, kindly share your experiences and picadas with everyone.

Thread name suggestions:
- The country shaped like a Chili
- what does "la wea fome qliao" means?
[Please suggest more!]

About us

We're a small(ish) country located at the south eastern edge of South América, we have a pretty long coast so no seafood shortage in here, our capital city (Santiago) holds about 1/3rd (6m approx.) of the total population, with that said there's a clear unbalance in the distribution of the population but that doesn't mean cities are deserted, not at all.

Things aren't as cheap as our neighbor countries, but we have a fair share of nice things to eat, buy, visit and stay.

Some internationally well known Chileans:

- Pinochet and Allende, but pretty please try to avoid this pair, we're already on it and we still have a long way to go.
- Cote de Pablo, an actress... i guess
- The fat dude from Lost (i didn't watch it so i dunno his name)
- Kane Blueriver, the people's champ
- Don Francisco (His actual name is Mario Kreutzberger)
- Oberyn Martell
- Some youtuber named YoSoyGerman
- The 33 miners (minus 1, who is Bolivian)
- Pablo Neruda
- Violeta Parra
- Horatio Sanz
- Tom Araya, el angel de la muerte, monarca del reino de los muertos
- Alexis Sanchez (Arsenal) and Arturo Vidal (Bayern Munich)
- Manuel Pellegrini, the most loved MCFC manager ever
HAHAHAHAHAHHA
- Alejandro Jodorowski, a genius
- Nicanor Parra, another genius
- Claudio Arrau, a genius
- Claudio Bravo, hyperrealist painter
- Claudio Bravo, hyperrealist keeper

Ok so i just got here, what do?

First and foremost, our currency is named peso (shocker huh?), for more info here's an article on the cost of living in Chile (http://soundsandcolours.com/subjects/travel/cost-of-living-in-chile-10483/) and while it's from 2011 and has some inaccuracies (for $8000 two can eat comfortably in Santiago Centro) it's a good starting point to measure your expenses.

I wouldn't recommend Santiago though, yo gotta go north or south, avoid the middle and big cities, other than museums and historical places there's not much in them (YMMV).

For some LOTR-like experience go to Torres del Paine, some breathtaking landscapes there...
Seriously hot, Peter Jackson what were you thinking

Marble caves

Other places:
Valle de la luna (Moon Valley):
valle-de-la-luna-chile.jpg

Flowering desert:
maxresdefault.jpg

El Tatio Geysers:
El-Tatio-Geysers-Chile.jpg

Lauca National Park:
2-ParqueLauca.jpg

And obviously, Konami's inspiration, MGS V won't even exist if these dudes weren't chillin' quietly in our most well known offshore island:
CHL_EasterIsland_2Moai_.jpg

Chile is a lot of fun, but it won't knock on your door, you have 2670 miles (thanks google) of coast, valleys, and all the kinds of climate to explore and have fun.

Enjoy your stay and/or this thread!

I don't like the title :/. (I hate that guy)

Good OT, nonetheless. You beat me to it.

Let the empanadas and cazuela flow, now. This ground is ours.

Darren870

I didn't get a chance to go to Chile while I was traveling around South America. I ran out of time and money and wanted to go for at least two months. It's on my must go to list.

The missus and I have been talking about trying to move there in a year or two though. Would love to live there for a few years and explore. Looks like such an amazing country.

Hopefully I'll join this thread soon!

HUELEN10

Chile GAF?

Count me in! Anyone willing to ship me some RoRo or Ambrosoli green Gomitas De Eucalyptus or a Nestle Trencito bar?

Pleeeez

:3

Kandinsky

I have no idea who this Cote de Pablo lady isl, and you totally forgot the real star of Arrested Development, Marta Estrella :D

Dennis

Banned
I have a question:

I just received some Locos (abalone-type sea slug) from Chile. Confirm to me that this in fact some kind of Chilean delicacy. They were damn expensive.

I'm still waiting for Costa to bring back the Capri chocolate blanco relleno con frambuesa ;_;

I have a question:

I just received some Locos (abalone-type sea slug) from Chile. Confirm to me that this in fact some kind of Chilean delicacy. They were damn expensive.

Yes, they are.

PD: Oh, and I think this is an appropriate image to add to OP

Hello, guys. Welcome to the republic of Chile. Yes, Locos are a delicacy. Yes, Trencito milk chocolate is really good.

I have a question:

Chupé de loco is one of the best things you can prepare with them.

I have a question:

Locos with mayoinesse is something amazingly great.

|OT| There's people living Here, nature
|OT| Our national dance is about chikens

cLOUDo

ChileGaf |OT| Chileans, never mess with Chileans

Gustavo Fring is also chilean and that guy who won EVO in smash

There was a story about Mewtwo being developed in Chile, I remember a story about the earth zone in Destiny being between Argentina and Chile too. I'm trying to think about more nerd stuff related to Chile.

Goli

Wait you're Chilean?? Wowsers

Ok I respect this.

no sahnenuss though?

Yup.

There was a story about Mewtwo being developed in Chile, I remember a story about the earth zone in Destiny being between Argentina and Chile too. I'm trying to think about more nerd stuff related to Chile.

AFAIK a lot of developers come here to study the environment, because of our unique geography you can experience pretty much anything, from a desert, to frozen mountains, to volcanos, to lush green hills. You know how in games there's always an ice stage, a fire stage, a green/floral stage and so forth? Well, this country is sort of like that experience in one long narrow stripe of land.

Also, I know we're supposed to only talk in English, so I'll do that, but I'm curious about what other Chilean users here do?

I'll start, I guess. I'm 21, on my fourth year of graphic design at Universidad del Pacifico, which is like, a bad uni for anything other than design/publicity/PR.

AFAIK a lot of developers come here to study the environment, because of our unique geography you can experience pretty much anything, from a desert, to frozen mountains, to volcanos, to lush green hills. You know how in games there's always an ice stage, a fire stage, a green/floral stage and so forth? Well, this country is sort of like that experience in one long narrow stripe of land.

I don't know if a lot but is nice when they don't show Chile as just a jungle, and I was pointing out more "trivia" than just stages or levels, there are a bunch of those in things like Driveclub or BF.

Hola a todos los wnes!

I'm a plumber, I work in Santiago, and I like video games and empanadas.

I think I fought you the other day on Rising Thunder lol, I remember the your nick.

BTW, I live in Valdivia and I'm studying Ing. Informatica (Computer Science/Engineering?) at Universidad Austral de Chile.

Adnor

Banned
Oli :3
I'm from the suré, Temuco to be more precise. Don't come here, it must be the most boring place in all of Chile, there is nothing besides Cerro Ñielol.

I'm 22, and I'm not studying anymore. Vocational conflicts and stuff. For now, I'm just working at one of out not-so-loved Videogame flagship stores. From Santiago.

Lautaro

Hey, how do you recognize a chilean on the Internet: because he'll fucking tell you!

Aquí otro weón tratando de convertirse en desarrollador de juegos (con poco éxito por el momento).

Mexicano here, I gotta say Chile is on the top of my list of countries I'd like to visit.

What are some great things to check out?

Valparaíso, for sure. Eat some Chorrillanas there, they are delicious.

Chiloé is another wonderful place to visit.

Hey, how do you recognize a chilean on the Internet: because he'll fucking tell you!

Aquí otro weón tratando de convertirse en desarrollador de juegos (con poco éxito por el momento).

There's always one anywhere, típico chileno.

Kandinsky

Vivo en Buin, un pueblo a 20 mins (en auto) al sur de Santiago, es tranquilo y agradable, soy probablemente el Chileno mas viejo en gaf con orgullosos (lies) 38 años, 'casado' y con dos hijos, uno me salió medio Playstation/Sony lover pa sus weas, pero estoy trabajando en cambiar eso :p

Colocolino y piscolero obsly.

Saludos!.

My local HBO has the Profugos crime series and it's pretty cool even if the protagonists escape way too easily every time. Luis Gnecco as Moreno is pretty much the highlight, apparently he's a mostly known as comedian ? The show also takes you to all the most beautiful locations like it's paid for by the Tourism Board. The desert, beautiful Valparaiso, the parks and a ski resort that includes a little note '20 minutes from Santiago !'

Kandinsky

Season 1 is amazing, season 2 does not exist. But yeah Luis Gnecco is probably the best chilean actor ever, the guy is amazing.

n64coder

I would love to visit Chile one day. How's the skiing there? I see a number of people from Chile working on the mountais in the northeast during our ski season. How does the skiing compare to Argentina?

I would love to visit Chile one day. How's the skiing there? I see a number of people from Chile working on the mountais in the northeast during our ski season. How does the skiing compare to Argentina?

Boy, you're in for a treat. We have plenty of ski resorts and one of the few places in the world where you can ski while watching the sea :).

nin1000

Banned
Finally went back to Chile this march after 10 years!!!!
Both of my parents are Chilean and decided to immigrate to Germany in the late 70.
My 2 brothers my sister and me were born here in germany but spend almost every year in Chile. Fast forward to the late 90's and my parents ( who both were working at lufthansa at the time ) decided to quit their jobs and try again in Chile with us. We all went to the private german school in Valparaiso ( Deutsche Schule Valparaiso ) and everything was fine for almost 2 years. I was too young to realize ( 11 when we decided to leave Germany ) that my father had not yet founf a new job and all of our savings were gone :(
My parents had to make the tough decision to head back to germany since they did not want us to suffer more from their decisions than we already did by leaving all behind.
It took me almost 10 years to revisit chile ( since those tickets are incredibly expensive) but man, i will never make that mistake again to wait so long to get back to this country and all my family and Oh hell did the country change for the better !!!
We stayed in Quilpue , where my Grandmother has her house.
The moment i saw my grandmother, all of my cousins was breathtaking.
All of us went to Chile and we went to Santiago / Viña del mar / Chincolco and a lot more cities. I even climbed to the top of "la campana".
This country...i will never ever turn my back on this beautiful Country again.

VIVA CHILE CTM!

catbird

Neo Member
Hola Chile-GAF! I love the indie-pop in Chile playlist on Spotify. I discovered Gepe there and he is now one of my favorite artists. Any fans?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Come on with that thread title.

At least it should be:

ChileGAF |OT| The Jaguars of South America (lol)

Leonor Varela, who is the original actress that played the role of Marta Estrella in Arrested Development, and also it's the girl from Blade 2.

Finally, Cazuela is awful, and has nothing on Carbonada or Porotos Granados (which is the GOAT). Empanadas de Pino are WAAAAAAAAY inferior to Empanadas de Carne (Argies got it right, why the fuck would you want a fucking olive or a boiled egg inside your empanada is beyond me).

Also, although the Completo (sauerkraut, eugh) is the more traditional Hot Dog, everyone knows that the Italiano (Avocado, Mayonaisse and Tomato) is the best there is, not only for Hot Dog, but for Churrasco, Lomito and As too.

Also, we like to think we speak in spanish, but then we realize that our TV products are either subtitled or dubbed, because we speak like crap.

nin1000

Banned
Finally, Cazuela is awful, and has nothing on Carbonada or Porotos Granados (which is the GOAT). Empanadas de Pino are WAAAAAAAAY inferior to Empanadas de Carne (Argies got it right, why the fuck would you want a fucking olive or a boiled egg inside your empanada is beyond me).
Sorry but Pino is the GOAT , i will have to disagree right there :D

What are your thoughts on "Humitas" ?

Hola Chile gaf! I was born in the US but my family is from Valparaiso! My grandmother was Mapuche and I have a tattoo honoring her and my grandfather on my other side who was a merchant sailor who sailer to and from the south pacific (and Easter Island) for most of his life. I am very overdue to visit my family in Vina and Valpo.

I do get shipments of Trencitos from family there. I'd share but they are usually gone in about 30 seconds.

Do they still make lucuma ice cream? I can still taste it.

ChileGAF |OT| Hueveando aqui

FuuRe

Note: The thread title has more to do with the current political state of the country and a play of words and less to do with my political preferences.

Chorrillanas are nothing compared to the GOAT Pichanga Caliente ;). If you ever come to the south of Chile, eat some Pichanga.
If you want to know more about our traditional cuisine, ask me :D.
Sorry but Pino is the GOAT , i will have to disagree right there :D

What are your thoughts on "Humitas" ?

Humitas are delicious. Add some sugar if you want them sweet, or some tomatoes and olive oil if you want them tastier.

Do they still make lucuma ice cream? I can still taste it.

ChileGAF |OT| Hueveando aqui
Why, yes. We still do :)

Top Bottom