• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChileGAF |OT| CTM weon que pulento el thread!

nin1000

Banned
Humitas are delicious. Add some sugar if you want them sweet, or some tomatoes and olive oil if you want them tastier.

Why, yes. We still do :)

My man ! love that shit to the end of my days !

JLdaatT.jpg

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Sorry but Pino is the GOAT , i will have to disagree right there :D

What are your thoughts on "Humitas" ?
I'm neutral to them; honestly find them boring; Pastel de Choclo is a much better way to use the corn.

Edit: Also, you need to add salt AND sugar to them, the only right way; a little salt and a lot of sugar.

Spent a month in Chile late last year, had a blast. Did all the stereotypical tourist stuff: climbing Villarica, all the stuff around San Pedro de Atacama, etc.

But the highlights were definitely biking between villages in the Elqui Valley, exploring Chiloe, and hitchhiking around Chillan. And those three areas couldn't be any more different.

Also man you guys really love your hot dogs.

And mote con huesillo is much less scary than it looks.

FuuRe

I'm neutral to them; honestly find them boring; Pastel de Choclo is a much better way to use the corn.

Edit: Also, you need to add salt AND sugar to them, the only right way; a little salt and a lot of sugar.

The tomato (or even better, ensalada a la chilena) adds enough salt to them IMO

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Lentajas with grated cheese and longaniza or Fried egg is also, MUCH, MUCH better than Cazuela.

Caldillo de Congrio is another. Of all the delicious food we have, I never understood the tourist fascination with cazuela. Also, how the fuck do you eat a Cazuela without spilling everything?? you have a huge soup, need to eat the chicken with the bone, there is a fucking piece of corn there, etc etc.

Jeff-DSA

I just had to open up this thread a little too far from lunch. You're all making me miss Chilean food way, way too much.

Pastel de choclo would hit the spot perfectly right now. And on the humita debate, I side with team salty.

The thing that people don't know about Chile is that their locally grown fruits stomp all over the quality of locally grown fruits elsewhere.

FuuRe

Lentajas with grated cheese and longaniza or Fried egg is also, MUCH, MUCH better than Cazuela.

Caldillo de Congrio is another. Of all the delicious food we have, I never understood the tourist fascination with cazuela. Also, how the fuck do you eat a Cazuela without spilling everything?? you have a huge soup, need to eat the chicken with the bone, there is a fucking piece of corn there, etc etc.

My grandma used to put two dishes the day of cazuela, in one i put the potato, corn and chicken/meat and add some salad to it.

Eating simultaneously from both plates is awesome and also the only way to eat cazuela right.

Jeff-DSA

Cazuela is something I didn't think I would miss, but I do. I never had any issues spilling. I loved to spice it up quite a bit though.

Kandinsky

Ugh Cazuela de ave? no thanks, vacuno only.

Also I want some porotos con rienda now, and I only have pasta for launch, I hate you all D:

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Also, the land of incredibly cheap great quality wine.

For about USD $7 you get a bottle of Cavernet Sauvignon Casillero del Diablo, which is your safe bet for something reliable, cheap and goof; for about $20 you get a bottle of Cavernet Sauvignon Marqués de Casa Concha, which is GREAT quality, world class, still really cheap, or a Carmenere Casa Real for about the same. Both INCREDIBLE.

For $13 you get a bottle of great Sauvignon Blanc Amaral.

These are all safe bets, you can find better stuff cheaper probably, if you are willing to try.

You can also poison yourself with Gato or stuff in carton boxes, but even with the price, it still is good; much better than anything in the price range anywhere else in the world.

In beer, continuing with the safe bets, the GOAT IMO is the Kunstmann Torobayo (bottled, not canned, don't let anyone tell you they are the same, they are not); but there are tons of great "indie" beers, probably at a better price.

In regular shitty beer, I can't help you, I think the "Coronitas" are the best, and by far the best size, 250ml is better than 350ml in beer, IMO.

There is also tons of great Champagnes (the more Brut the better), Pisco, and other types of alcohol, which are mostly great and really really cheap.

We lack in Whisky, but that's OK, because Whisky is a lonely drink, and there is nothing sadder than getting drunk alone.

nin1000

Banned

Pastel de choclo is on another level Haha. That shit gets covered with sugar.

Also, the land of incredibly cheap great quality wine.

For about USD $7 you get a bottle of Cavernet Sauvignon Casillero del Diablo, which is your safe bet for something reliable, cheap and goof; for about $20 you get a bottle of Cavernet Sauvignon Marqués de Casa Concha, which is GREAT quality, world class, still really cheap, or a Carmenere Casa Real for about the same. Both INCREDIBLE.

For $13 you get a bottle of great Sauvignon Blanc Amaral.

These are all safe bets, you can find better stuff cheaper probably, if you are willing to try.

You can also poison yourself with Gato or stuff in carton boxes, but even with the price, it still is good; much better than anything in the price range anywhere else in the world.

In beer, continuing with the safe bets, the GOAT IMO is the Kunstmann Torobayo (bottled, not canned, don't let anyone tell you they are the same, they are not); but there are tons of great "indie" beers, probably at a better price.

In regular shitty beer, I can't help you, I think the "Coronitas" are the best, and by far the best size, 250ml is better than 350ml in beer, IMO.

There is also tons of great Champagnes (the more Brut the better), Pisco, and other types of alcohol, which are mostly great and really really cheap.

We lack in Whisky, but that's OK, because Whisky is a lonely drink, and there is nothing sadder than getting drunk alone.
we live in the land of craft beers and you choose Kuntsmann... Gran Torobayo is still great, though.

Jeff-DSA

The two things you just can't recreate here in the United States even remotely on the level of what the Chileans do are empanadas de pino and completos. Both are poor emulations of the real deal, no matter how hard you try.

I remember when I was living in Rengo, I loved going to this emapanada place in Rancagua that was out of this world amazing. It was near the end of an outdoor mall, right near the plaza with the O'Higgins statue. I crave it often.

Goli

Hey, how do you recognize a chilean on the Internet: because he'll fucking tell you!

Aquí otro weón tratando de convertirse en desarrollador de juegos (con poco éxito por el momento).

How? I'm curious about the vidyagaewm industry here as well.

Hola Chile-GAF! I love the indie-pop in Chile playlist on Spotify. I discovered Gepe there and he is now one of my favorite artists. Any fans?

I myself don't like him very much, but you should check out Alex Anwandter and Javiera Mena. Also Pali, but he's not on Spotify.

Adnor

Banned
Man I'd love to travel, the only tourist places I've gone are Carbugua and Villarica. I don't even know my own country!

You are all forgetting our lord and savior of taste, Merkén (a traditional spicy seasoning).

Maní con miel y merkén (peanuts, with honey and merkén) is one of the most addictive things ever. Also, Porotos con Mazamorra, with a touch of merkén, is the way.

Nothing beats Baltilocas for regular shitty beers.

FuuRe

I think it's fitting to introduce ourselves.

Name: Alejandro
Born in: Santiago, Chile
Currently living in: Santiago, Chile (Puente Alto)
Occupation: Software development and maintenance for an insurance company
(the next ones are optional since they don't apply to everyone)
Places where you lived or visited (for foreigners) in Chile:
Local communities you are/were active: lag.cl

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
If you are going to Tongoy, you NEED to buy the ostion empanada at El Negro Cero. I don't even like ostions, and I think this are some of the best Empanadas out there.

If you go to the most important port of the country (San Antonio), you will want to go and eat a Churrasco Italiano in La Juanita (not the restaurant, the small place in front of the Town Hall), in Pan de Molde (bigger in this case). This thing is monstrous.

If you are near Curico, then you'll want to stop by Cecinas Soler, and eat their Lomitos, the best in the world.

Kandinsky

If you are going to Tongoy, you NEED to buy the ostion empanada at El Negro Cero. I don't even like ostions, and I think this are some of the best Empanadas out there.

If you go to the most important port of the country (San Antonio), you will want to go and eat a Churrasco Italiano in La Juanita (not the restaurant, the small place in front of the Town Hall), in Pan de Molde (bigger in this case). This thing is monstrous.

If you are near Curico, then you'll want to stop by Cecinas Soler, and eat their Lomitos, the best in the world.

Ohh this weekend I'll probably visit San Antonio, I'll check that Churrasco out, thanks!

Jeff-DSA

Name: Jeff
Born in: Bountiful, Utah (Estados Unidos)
Currently living in: Utah
Places where you lived or visited (for foreigners) in Chile: Lived: Santa Cruz, Rengo, San Bernardo, Curico. Visited: Pichilemu, Siete Tazas, Valparaiso, Vina del Mar, La Bandera (Santiago), La Pintana (Santiago) Providencia (Santiago), San Fernando, Rancagua and lots of places in between. Spent most of my time within 2-3 hours of Santiago.

I haven't been back to Chile for years, but I still talk to Chileans at least once or twice a week. I've always said that if I was hypothetically forced out of the United States that I would head for Chile.

nin1000

Banned
Name : Stephan
Born in : Frankfurt am Main
Currently Living in : Mainz Germany
Places where you lived or visited : Was living in Quilpue for nearly 2 years and visited a lot of cities Santiago, la Cruz, Viña del Mar, Iquique, Chincolco, Quillota etc almost every city in the 5th region !

Since i spend almost 6 weeks this year in Chile i wll head back next year to finally head to the South of Chile! I never was there ;__; but almost everone i asked said that it is a must to go there !

hey! it's september guys, you know what that means :)

Any gaffer coming to our country this month? you'll find the awesomeness of the Chilean Chicha

I am away from Chile in Canada. Of course this happens when I am not there. Friend just messaged me she ran out of the mall in Santiago. Hope everyone is OK. :(

Did not even know a Chile GAF thread existed!

Top Bottom