• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/chistopher-nolan-mark-rylance-movie-1201662561/

The story is set during the legendary evacuation of the northern French city during WWII. Nolan and his casting department recently began testing teenagers in London for lead roles, but the director also wanted to nail down some choices for the few adult roles in the film before the holiday.

“We are thrilled to be continuing our collaboration with Christopher Nolan, a singular filmmaker who has created some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful films of all time,” Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production said. “‘Dunkirk’ is a gripping and powerful story and we are excited to see Chris, Emma and their cast realize it on the big screen.”

Warner Bros. has dated the film for July 21, 2017. The large-scale production will be shot on a combination of IMAX 65mm and 65mm large format film for maximum image quality and high impact immersion. Shooting will begin in May using many of the real locations of the true-life events, which form the background for the story.

DMczaf

I wonder if WB gave Nolan their prime summer spot before finding out what the hell it was.

"You want it? YOU GOT IT! PLS NOLAN."

*3 months later*

"...it's a time travel sequence, right?"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
"High-impact immersion" got a good laugh out of me. That's quite the buzz-phrase.

harSon

Banned
there's going to be like 2 french people in the entirety of the cast huh

one of which will be Marion Cotillard, the other probably Vincent Cassel

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well, I suppose a lot of people's wives died during the Evacuation of Dunkirk, so perhaps Nolan can find something to work with here.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Just from the small amount of info here, my first reaction: This will be Nolan's first major flop.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So it's just a WWII movie? That's pretty disappointing. I mean, I'll watch it since it's Nolan but I want crazy high concept movies from him.

Don't know how I feel about this

Not gonna lie first thought I got from this was "White people the movie: War time"

Maybe Nolan can surprise me with a diverse cast somehow even though it is set in 1940s Europe...

wut

Legendary? Uh

It was pretty impressive: 300,000+ men getting evacuated from a port in a matter of days.

It'll be interesting to see if Nolan's film focuses largely on the famous "little ships", the non-military boats which played a relatively minor part in the grand scheme of things, but make up a large part of the "legend" of the evacuation.

M52B28

Banned
Don't know how I feel about this

Not gonna lie first thought I got from this was "White people the movie: War time"

Maybe Nolan can surprise me with a diverse cast somehow even though it is set in 1940s Europe...
Agreed.

Despite being mostly white, weren't Africans somewhat prevalent in European countries? Especially France?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Nolan should definitely give some roles to French Africans to add diversity.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Nolan gearing up for his final form.

oiHI79c.jpg

(That's what my heart felt watching Inception. IT WAS ELECTRIC.)

Corpsepyre

Banned
SInce it's a summer blockbuster, I doubt it's going to be R rated, right? Needs to be R rated and as harrowing as possible.

That sounds amazing, Dunkirk is huge historical event that was a huge event in the course of the war.

edit - a huge number of british soldiers, along with french and belgian forces as well, were evacuated by the royal navy and large civilian vessels, fishing vessels, etc. It was fucking awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom