• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

Awesome. I ordered one. Ships Aug 2nd.

I had been contemplating getting one of the Android on a stick deals, but I figure it's best to go straight to Google.

3rdman

Awesome. I ordered one. Ships Aug 2nd.

I had been contemplating getting one of the Android on a stick deals, but I figure it's best to go straight to Google.

I'm in the same boat but unless I can definitely use it to play movies off my server, I'm holding off.

Alpha_eX

HDMI dongles can get power from the port?

Serious question. I thought they couldn't.

I wasn't saying they could, I wasn't sure but assumed you could draw power from HDMI. When I hear/read dongle I think a device that plugs into a port and powers itself through said port.

jvalioli

I wasn't saying they could, I wasn't sure but assumed you could draw power from HDMI. When I hear/read dongle I think a device that plugs into a port and powers itself through said port.

It powers either through the the USB port on your TV (not your computer) or an outlet if you have an older TV without USB ports.

Mrcapcom

I don't mind the power cable i mean what doesn't have a power source thats like this? And if it had a internal battery it would need to be charged all the time. Hopefully its the same connector you use with your cell phone. The i would have to buy tons of those cables because it would work with everything. N4 N7 Chomecast etc etc etc

SimleuqiR

But that's a limitation of said port.

I expect a USB dongle to get power from that port, as the tech supports power.

I never heard of an HDMI port powering a device.

SRG01

But that's a limitation of said port.

I expect a USB dongle to get power from that port, as the tech supports power.

I never heard of an HDMI port powering a device.

HDMI ports can definitely supply power. It's right in the spec. Nearly all VGA converters are powered this way.

It's also the reason why a lot of Raspberry Pis were popping, because some no name branded converters were drawing too much current.

Chairhome

Yeah! Amazon and Best Buy confirmed to include 3 months of netflix!
https://cast.google.com/chromecast/offer
1.Purchase your Chromecast either from Google Play, Best Buy or Amazon.
circle-stores.png

2. If you ordered online, you'll receive an email with your promo code after your order ships. If you bought in-store, your code is on your receipt.
circle-receipt.png

3. Redeem your code at netflix.com/chromecast
circle-netflix.png

4. Set up your Chromecast, and start casting videos from Netflix on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop to TV
circle-setup.png

SimleuqiR

HDMI ports can definitely supply power. It's right in the spec. Nearly all VGA converters are powered this way.

It's also the reason why a lot of Raspberry Pis were popping, because some no name branded converters were drawing too much current.

Then there has to be a technical reason (or possibly a cost reason) as to why they went on to use USB or an AC adapter for power.

Every Android HDMI dongle I see seems to use an external source for power.

I don't think the Roku stick needs a power supply, but it only works with like two TVs.

So it could be a short list of TVs that put out power through HDMI, the reason?

No that it matters to me. I know my TV has a USB port.

Van Owen

Banned
Then there has to be a technical reason (or possibly a cost reason) as to why they went on to use USB or an AC adapter for power.

Every Android HDMI dongle I see seems to use an external source for power.

So it could be a short list of TVs that put out power through HDMI, the reason?

No that it matters to me. I know my TV has a USB port.

It Roku's case I think it has to do with MHL standard or something, which might include powering thru HDMI, but I really have no idea.

Chairhome

Your mobile bandwidth will get destroyed.
Just get a phone with HDMI out, or hook your laptop up, and store videos on that, much more reliable.
This doesn't have as many uses as people might think, with an android phone or tablet, BubbleuPNP and a TV with DLNA you can do this anyway, my 6yr old Bravia does it. For rare occasions that I want a YouTube on the big screen you can push vids to the PS3 in YouTube apps/browser.

That said, for such a piddling amount of money, I'm in, just in case.

You will likely be using wifi when using this device, i don't think people are planning on using their mobile data when using this. This is ideal for people who want to bring something to a friends house or hotel, or even another tv in your house, you just have to bring the dongle and a cable and your phone.

Top Bottom