• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Citizens of Earth |OT| - Let's see... Plus the 7 ... Carry the 2 ... Carry the 1 ...

Choomp

Banned
I think I'm going to enjoy this game, judging by the 10 minutes I played of it. It's so much like EarthBound it can't possibly be bad.

AsfaeksBR

Sometimes (three times in 1 hour) some NPC's turn into "Missingno". And every time I try to take a screenshot, the game crashes...

JPS Kai

Review finally went live.

If anyone can tell me how to finish the last step in recruiting the
pharmacist and also citizen #40
one day, that would be awesome!

HBroward

Kind of weird there are so few trophies in the PS4 version when the Steam version has 50 achievements. Those don't factor into my decision making but it still stood out to me. Been waiting a while for this game though, already picked it up on the aforementioned platforms.

Dark_castle

Just started not too long ago. Really dig the idea of recruiting people to join your party, which reminds me of Suikoden/Chrono Cross. The Earthbound-ish setting is also great, more contemporary setting is always welcomed in my book. Battle system is turn-based and starts off fairly straight forward, but as more abilities are learnt, more commands are available. The writing is quirky/humour-based, which is pretty decent.

Definitely pick this up if you're a fan of JRPG, such as games like Earthbound, Suikoden, Pokemon and South Park.

Makonero

I downloaded this last night...looking forward to playing it today when I get home! (Wii U).

Hopefully the bugs get ironed out, since that and the too-frequent battles seem to compose most of the complaints. Thanks everyone for the impressions!

Ricker

Not sure...the demo didn't really sell me on the game...I didnt like the way the combat feels...it doesnt feel/look like you are attacking...you know,make a forward movement or something with the characters,not just on the opponents...

JCX

during the demo on ps4. it's like maybe almost instant. and definitely less than 2 seconds.

Yeah I tried PS4 first and was surprised by how much slower Vita is. Also had the game freeze when I tried talking to the mascot today. Thankfully there is a frequent quicksave, but freezes can be awful for an RPG in the middle of a dungeon.

Overall, I really like the game. Has a ton of charm. Just hope it gets a patch to fix some of these issues.

Gamecentral reviewed it today, were not fans:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/21/game-review-citizens-of-earth-is-a-love-letter-to-earthbound-5030091/

In Short: It looks like EarthBound, and to a degree it plays like EarthBound, but this has none of the charm or character of the SNES classic – and considerably worse combat.
Pros: The visuals are fantastic, both in terms of quality and variety. The side quest-focused game structure is an interesting idea.
Cons: The combat system is long-winded and dull, especially given how many unavoidable battles there are. Mediocre writing, unmemorable characters, and few decent jokes.

4/10

Although superficially the game bears a strong resemblance to Earthbound, in actuality, I find it feels a lot more like Pokémon due to the strong focus on combat & gathering the ultimate team. There's silliness to be found in dialogue here and there, but honestly, unless you really like combat & customizing your team, you're not going to like this game.

Luckily, I really like combat & customizing my team. More than most RPGs, the combat abilities here are pretty interesting & character skillsets are unique & don't necessarily fall under your stereotypical RPG class roles.

Haven't run into any bugs (playing the Steam version).

Can't decide whether to go with the 3DS or Wii U version of this... I'm in America, so it looks like I can't take advantage of whatever that cross-buy thing for Europe was that someone mentioned on the first page...

(btw, it looks like the Miiverse community for this game seems to be only for the 3DS version of it so far it has 2 separate Miiverse communities instead of one shared one...)

Edit: There's a Steam version of it, too? I guess I should add that to the options that I need to decide between as well, although I don't really play games on my computer that often any more...

Double Edit: nvm about the previous edit; turns out the Steam version is Windows-only...

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
So, wait, there is no cross-buy promotion in North America for WiiU/3DS?

Really tempted to get it for 3DS as I've been wanting to scratch the portable EarthBound itch

So, wait, there is no cross-buy promotion in North America for WiiU/3DS?

Really tempted to get it for 3DS as I've been wanting to scratch the portable EarthBound itch

Cross-buy isn't really a thing in general on the WiiU/3DS. Only game I know of that does it is that upcoming Mario puzzle game.

No cross-buy on the PS4/Vita version either.

Corpekata

Banned
Game really needs a patch to allow you to skip the loot notifications. Or a mod on Steam if the devs can't be arsed. Thing feels like it takes up nearly as much time as some of the easier battles.

Enjoying myself so far, especially just running around and exploring to try and find every citizen. Complaints that the game's humor falls flat is not an issue to me; in fact, I've chuckled a few times in my 5 hours spent with it. Also really enjoy the characters that you can recruit, and those battle animations are well done.

Having a feeling that most of the mediocre scores stem from people wanting this to be more like Earthbound and less it's own game. My only gripe are with the frequent encounters and even those are easy to avoid.

reminder

Bought it for PS4, having fun so far. But man, the german translation is bad. Some trophy descriptions doesn't even make sense. And that's in 2015.

gazele

Banned
I'm thinking about buying this on Friday on PSN although some of the reviews have me concerned, I didn't have an issue with the combat when I played it but I did ou play for about he first 30 minutes of the game

ChrisMoses

Neo Member
I wanted to buy this ASAP, but restrained myself to use the PSN 10% discount this weekend.

Going PS4, as it as has more space available than the Vita.

I'm a big EarthBound fan - I'll be defeating Giygas for the umpteenth time tonight after work. I may have pushed the titles too close together, setting a precedent that Citizens of Earth won't possibly be able to meet, but the colder than normal December temperatures in Texas dictated that I visit Winters. What was I supposed to do?!

Shizuka

Brian★;148538456 said:
On their Facebook page, they said they ran out of time for crossbuy (etc.)

166.gif

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I have been playing this game for the last 4 hours and love it, but it just froze up and crashed on 3DS.

Please Atlus, patch this up soon.

nampad

Thinking about picking this up for Vita when the PSN discount code arrives. Hope we have more impressions here so I can decide better.

GunBR

After playing the demo I definitely will buy this one
Yeah, the jokes are kind of lame, but everything else is great.

nikos

Played the demo on PS4 and it was definitely enjoyable. Trying to decide whether I should pick it up for the PS4 or Vita but I'm leaning towards Vita.

terrisus

Didn't realize this already had an OT.
I should've figured that it did.

I recommend this game extremely highly!

When it was first announced, with mentions of "Inspired by Earthbound," I expressed incredulity on here (fee free to read through that topic at your leisure, or skim for my comments throughout), since "Inspired by <Beloved classic game>" seemed to be a catchphrase that piles of Kickstarter games were using to draw people in.

The developers took the time to reach out to me on here, answer questions and concerns that I had, and were just really great people in general. They also gave me the opportunity to participate in the Alpha for this game a year ago.

Unfortunately, at the time the Alpha was going on, I had some other stuff going on in my life (moving), which prevented me from giving as much time to it as I would like, and so I wasn't able to continue on with further testing.

Even from what I played in Alpha a year ago though, this game was great. And knowing the dedication that the developers were giving to this game, how much effort was being put into the testing, and everything else, I'm sure it's even better now.

This is the kind of game that people should support. A spectacular game, by extremely dedicated and passionate people. From a personal point of view, I absolutely love that we're getting another turn-based RPG, which I adore, and that it's coming to Wii U and 3DS (when I was testing it, it was just PC).

I really hope this does extremely well, so that we continue to get more games like this.
And, of course, I hope many people get this, so they can experience what a great game it is.

Again:
I recommend this game extremely highly!

Started to enjoy it based on the beginning. Then I got to the god awful turned based fighting and deleted the demo.

Not for me. A shame really as I liked what I saw of the rest of it.

Top Bottom