• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CLANNAD Official English Release Kickstarter (Funded | Stretch goals announced)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I am a fan of the anime but it should never be a game. The typical juvenile harem rubbish was possible to overlook in the anime but will surely be the whole point of any game.
Not really; Clannad is very focused in most of its paths and the girls don't inherently fawn over Tomoya like a typical harem anime (they don't fight or interact in the name of love), plus you might not even see certain heroines if you choose certain choices. Obviously they give you the most chances to interact with Nagisa since she's the main heroine.

AsianOni

My initial pledge (85$ w/o shipping) is starting to get out of control... 175$ at the moment with shipping cost.

Is the side story Hikaru Mamoru Sakamichi worth its 30$ ?

Zakard

I am a backer of the 50$ physical copy of Clannad. Since I have never played this game before, should I also get the Manga and the Side Stories?

Mailbox

I thought the anime was ok.
After story was amazing until the last episode where they fuxked it all up. (Seriously... Wtf)

If this was announced for ps vita, I'd be all over that along with steins;gate :)

HawthorneKitty

I am a backer of the 50$ physical copy of Clannad. Since I have never played this game before, should I also get the Manga and the Side Stories?
Unless you are a huge-huge fan of the anime or really want to support Clannad/Sekai more, probably not.

Wiktor

Visual novels are incredibly niche. You're not going to get crazy numbers of backers for a KS, they work because of the really high pledge per backer.

Yep. It's the same deal with board games and PnP RPGs Kickstarters. They can reach high numbers, but it's all done by high pledges from small group of fans

Yaari

Only just now started with the anime, and I love it, it's awesome. But I probably don't have to tell any of you about that, haha. Still a good bunch of episodes to go though.

I will probably support this just because of that. I hope the anime left a lot out from the VN, so that there's still new things to experience.

Corgi

Banned
whats the tier they need to reach to offer optional new art based off the superior kyoani designs :p

key games are fine, but the art is just... uuguu.

iavi

I actually hate the Clannad story overall, but it was a VERY good VN. Glad to see that it's getting brought over in style. Will support.

If you want to support Sekai Project with a different game, NEKOPARA Vol.1 releases today at 6pm Pacific/9pm Eastern.

Nya~

Bought it, and then wandered over to dlsite and bought the 18+ version as well.

Visual novels are incredibly niche. You're not going to get crazy numbers of backers for a KS, they work because of the really high pledge per backer.

Yep. It's the same deal with board games and PnP RPGs Kickstarters. They can reach high numbers, but it's all done by high pledges from small group of fans

Well I'm glad people are passionate about it. I know my pledge was pretty large, so I imagine you're right.

chrono01

So I've decided to back this [$50 physical version], plus grab one of the add-on. Right now I'm trying to decide between the physical copy of the side story game [Hikaru Mimamoru Sakamichi de] or the 3CD OST. I'm not too familiar with the side story game, which is why I wanted to ask here first.

For those knowledgeable about it, which would you recommend? I know little of the game, so I'm unfamiliar with both the side story game as well as the OST. I'm not sure which I should go with. :/

Edit - Or maybe the Kickstarter exclusive shikishi might be the better option. Would be a nice collectible...

Ventara

So I'm finalizing my pledge and deciding what add-on to get, and damn, things are getting pricey quickly. Including the shipping out of USA, it"s $60 for the physical copy, $40 for the OST, $35 for the physical sidestory and $20 for the manga.

I'm probably gonna drop the OST. I'm on the edge with the sidestory and the manga. Also debating getting a second physical copy for collectible purposes.

Kerrinck

This is probably on the KS page but I can't seem to find it. If I back the $50 boxed version, do I get a steam key as well?

chrono01

So I'm finalizing my pledge and deciding what add-on to get, and damn, things are getting pricey quickly. Including the shipping out of USA, it"s $60 for the physical copy, $40 for the OST, $35 for the physical sidestory and $20 for the manga.

I'm probably gonna drop the OST. I'm on the edge with the sidestory and the manga. Also debating getting a second physical copy for collectible purposes.
I'm thinking I'll pass on the OST too.

I might go with:

- Physical Copy
- Physical Side-Story
- Physical Manga [maybe]

I've more or less decided on the first two, but I'm not sure if I should go ahead with the manga or not. It's an extra $20, and given the USD --> CDN exchange rate, that's an additional $24 or so. :/

just saw this now! wasn't aware of it! The game is already well funded! At what price will it be on steam? more than 40 $? I hesitate if i should back it or not, since i'm short on money right now

I already thought the physical won't get the Steam key, I thought I read that a while back or the wording on it point out that the physical won't be getting steam keys. I guess I was the only one, I still bought the physical with that in mind.

Dezner

Eep, gotta mess with my pledge before the deadline still. $85 for now, but I want to get physical versions of the side story stuff and maybe the manga as well.

o_o

Josephl64

I already thought the physical won't get the Steam key, I thought I read that a while back or the wording on it point out that the physical won't be getting steam keys. I guess I was the only one, I still bought the physical with that in mind.

same, I love my physical. Although I also dislike DRM which is why I don't really use Steam if I can help it.

chrono01

You can alter it later with that backerkit site.
When you say "alter it", do you mean add on stuff then too?

The reason I ask is because I want a few of the extra items [OST, side-story, manga, etc.], but since the USD --> CDN conversion is bad at the moment, I'd like to buy/commit to as little as I can. If so, I'll pledge for the physical copy, and then add-on/order the OST, side-story, etc. later on.

When you say "alter it", do you mean add on stuff then too?

The reason I ask is because I want a few of the extra items [OST, side-story, manga, etc.], but since the USD --> CDN conversion is bad at the moment, I'd like to buy/commit to as little as I can. If so, I'll pledge for the physical copy, and then add-on/order the OST, side-story, etc. later on.

From earlier in the thread:
For those who haven't seen backerkit before, you login via an email that gets sent to the email you backed with, and from there you can add on individual items and change (I think you can only add) to your pledge amount.

And the website:
https://www.backerkit.com/sales
Allow backers to upgrade after the campaign is over

When backers get another look at your rewards, they just might want more of them. BackerKit provides another chance for backers to move into a higher reward tier.

So, yeah.

chrono01

Physical Edition officially ordered/backed.

I'll wait until later to see which add-ons I'll purchase. I'm pretty sure on the physical side-story add-on, but I'm not entirely sure about the OST/manga. I'm glad they give you an option to choose later.

Could someone respond to my question? It would be nice to know, i'll probably back it but i'm still not sure, so help me to decide, thanks guys!

Kyonashi

unfortunately cancelled my pledge today. can't afford to spend $60 on the physical edition if it doesn't come with a steam key, don't want to buy it twice just to play it.

will it still be available to purchase in future?

unfortunately cancelled my pledge today. can't afford to spend $60 on the physical edition if it doesn't come with a steam key, don't want to buy it twice just to play it.

will it still be available to purchase in future?

Why not back it at the $40 digital level, then? And hopefully the physical edition will be for sale later for the people who missed out on the kickstarter, but there's probably no guarantee.

Why not back it at the $40 digital level, then? And hopefully the physical edition will be for sale later for the people who missed out on the kickstarter, but there's probably no guarantee.

The kickstarter exclusive physical edition will try and be as similar as the first press edition with the physical arrange ost and booklet etc. That's the draw. I just wish physical would mean a steam key as well since most kickstarter games work like that. I dont like the idea of having to spend $90 for physical + steam key.

bleh still don't know what to back aka preorder

edit- side stories is a separate thing? and $35~? daaaaang. right now I'm thinking the physical game and side stories,w hich I'll never open, and buy it off steamw henever they're $5~ however long that'll take

HawthorneKitty

edit- side stories is a separate thing? and $35~? daaaaang. right now I'm thinking the physical game and side stories,w hich I'll never open, and buy it off steamw henever they're $5~ however long that'll take
That's what I'm planning also; go for it.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Just read through the Key AMA answers on Reddit, and this little thing here bothers me:

Q: I hear over and over again how many VN makers don't even know that they have an ---enormous--- number of fans here... How conscious is Key about their popularity? Like did Key realise how incredibly big the number in question is? They are actually famous worldwide!

A:Really? I didn't know that. I never had the opportunity to find out.

Like, this I don't get. Of course the VN audience will be Japanese-directed, but how is it that these companies are NOT aware of international interest?? I don't understand... I remember reading several similar things of companies like Square and GUST saying things like "oh westerners WANT Japanese language on their games??" Like, how are they this blind? Do they not like into international markets for potential?

That's why it's hard for us not to shout and bug companies for what we want. We ONLY have localizers as a sort of mediator between the Japanese companies for the most part, and still many Japanese companies are unaware of trends around the world. Cater to Japan, sure, but understand that there is a MUCH BIGGER MARKET outside of the one country.

Sekai Project

Neo Member

Pledge $1 dollar so you'll be able to access BackerKit while the game is in production to finalize/upgrade/add on your choices.

Shizuka

Pledge $1 dollar so you'll be able to access BackerKit while the game is in production to finalize/upgrade/add on your choices.

I'm sorry if this is repetitive, but I want to confirm before I miss the chance: if I pledge for a physical copy now, Kickstarter will charge me for it when the campaign is over, right? Does that mean I could pledge $1, become a backer and pledge for the same physical copy of the game sometime before the actual game is released? That way, I could get it when I have the money and still get the KS version, is that correct?

I'm sorry if this is repetitive, but I want to confirm before I miss the chance: if I pledge for a physical copy now, Kickstarter will charge me for it when the campaign is over, right? Does that mean I could pledge $1, become a backer and pledge for the same physical copy of the game sometime before the actual game is released? That way, I could get it when I have the money and still get the KS version, is that correct?

Correct. Sometime later on, after the Kickstarter is over, Sekai will send out a backerkit survey that will ask what add-ons you want and the like as well as give you the ability to adjust your pledge to back it at a higher level, get more add-ons, etc.

Shizuka

Correct. Sometime later on, after the Kickstarter is over, Sekai will send out a backerkit survey that will ask what add-ons you want and the like as well as give you the ability to adjust your pledge to back it at a higher level, get more add-ons, etc.

That's awesome, I didn't know there was such a thing! I'm backing the project now.

nasanu

Banned
The harem aspect was made for the anime adaptation, it's not even in the game.

Yeah actually I judged it based on its siblings. The first two Key games are pure trash (cleaned up for other adaptations), thought this was also but it seems for the most part they managed to keep their hands out of their pants while making it somehow.

I might actually play this.

Chariot

I hope my payment makes it in time. I have a pre-paid creditcard, so it's always a bit of a hassle, especially when I am feeling lazy again like this time.

Shizuka

I hope my payment makes it in time. I have a pre-paid creditcard, so it's always a bit of a hassle, especially when I am feeling lazy again like this time.

You could always pledge $1 to make sure you're a backer of this project and pay it later when you're available.

Top Bottom