• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
6MZeGTP.jpg

Have at it guys.

what... so he was trying to play while still online then... LOL

Edit: Yep, he didn't know where the 'go offline' option was.

screenshot2013-11-112iyubh.png

mrg6290

All this because some guy on Twitter couldn't play offline while connected to the internet with a banned account on a console using unfinished code 2 weeks before release.

I want to frame this thread and hang it on a wall.

Console Wars 2013

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Who plays games offline nowadays?

One big "community" so to speak would have been various members of the military when deployed overseas, who was a huge supporter of the Xbox360 brand.

That and not everyone has a stable enough internet connection to be constantly online.

PBY

Banned
Remind me why everyone believes CBOAT again? Genuine question.

Hes got a very good track record. His latest stuff, especially that leaked PM though, seems to imply more of an agenda than I hoped originally, but as long as the info is good who cares.

This thread was his low point, imho.

Steel

Banned
He hinted at devs being able to do something that they're already able to do this gen.

I kinda thought he was hinting at more than that, as optional online only is always the case.

So wait, with all this, "Albert Penello's the pre-release patch did it" stuff was just tales from my ass?

Amir0x

Banned
Hes got a very good track record. His latest stuff, especially that leaked PM though, seems to imply more of an agenda than I hoped originally, but as long as the info is good who cares.

There's nothing low about it. What CBOAT said is true, it's just everyone was reading into it.

Just like PS4, the Xbox One DOES have mechanisms in place so that devs can implement DRM on a case-by-case basis. The only question is if any dev will dare to implement it on PS4 or XBO.

PBY

Banned
I kinda thought he was hinting at more than that, as optional online only is always the case.

So wait, with all this, Albert Penello's the pre-release patch did it stuff was just tales from my ass?
Personally, I actually believe Albert here, we just don't have all the info. We do know though that the twitter dude is clueless.

PBY

Banned
There's nothing low about it. What CBOAT said is true, it's just everyone was reading into it.

Just like PS4, the Xbox One DOES have mechanisms in place so that devs can implement DRM on a case-by-case basis. The only question is if any dev will dare to implement it on PS4 or XBO.

I know its true. But the delivery method- and its relation to the point of the OP- stirred up a lot of shit unnecessarily.

SRTtoZ

So wait, with all this, "Albert Penello's the pre-release patch did it" stuff was just tales from my ass?

Yes. Like I said earlier, no one really knew the reason it was happening, Albert made up an excuse and a couple guys here ran with it. It turns out, the guy was still ONLINE the entire time. We should have known because this guy has been tweeting for a few days now and hes not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to troubleshooting. He doesn't even know what resolution his TV is. But yes, him having an 'expired OS' making the system brick is made up.

Games which require internet, such as Destiny, likely will. I don't see a problem with that.

But if a dev adds this to their game if it doesn't require a connection, that's their fault for being silly.

Steel

Banned
Personally, I actually believe Albert here, we just don't have all the info. We do know though that the twitter dude is clueless.

Just thinking Albert Penello was clueless too, or he wouldn't have been implying that this is the result of patches. In fact he would've just told the dude and the story would've ended itself. This thread has been hilariously pointless though.

PBY

Banned
Just thinking Albert Penello was clueless too, or he wouldn't have been implying that this is the result of patches. In fact he would've just told the dude and the story would've ended itself. This thread has been hilariously pointless though.

Its definitely possible.

Parakeetman

I saw it more as him testing someone to see if they were worth communicating with. As we never got a confirmation on the OP in that thread if he did infact have permission to share the PM with the public. Give a person "useless" information and see if they go spreading it around trying to puff themselves up as being the cool kid on the block. If they do then you know they aint worth communicating with further.

The last post by the OP I remember after having been absent for 90% of the thread was

"I have been on school, but Im back again.

The reason I posted it was simply because I guess you guys wanted an new CBOAT update."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88919018&postcount=510

So basically that being said pushed my personal view of the OP did it for more personal gain rather than relaying a personal message to the public which was cleared by CBOAT.

With how long CBOAT has been in the game am sure that he tests people like this to see if they are worth conversing with or not. Hell anyone who deals with information its a pretty standard thing to do when communicating with new contacts.

If CBOAT does have an "agenda" hes been pretty good about not letting it get into the way of his posts when he does bring information forward to the public.

iammeiam

I do wonder if Penello was giving the guy too much credit, and was assuming he'd encountered a bug in one of the daily builds. People (myself included--I apparently read his response way wrong) took this to mean some kind of expiry, when really he may have just meant that they're constantly releasing new builds and whatever this guy hit was a temp but at best. I can understand why he'd have been hesitant to either unequivocally state that's not how it works (since somebody is saying it does and people are quick to view a as as lying), or just leave it unanswered so the shitstorm could continue growing.

But seriously MS should fix the OS ban handling.

Steel

Banned
I feel like Cboat played us for giggles. I mean he wasn't technically lying so much as he could have been interpreted any number of ways....

If so, well played Cboat. Well played.

Darknight

WTF happened here lol.

Anyways Im glad this was just a mess up on that twiddler's part. Good to know MS didnt have some DRM juice left in the BIG ONE.

Anyways, I believe in DA BUTT over Panello and his crew. (cant blame pr peeps I suppose)

he knows he has god status here and can say anything he wants and it sends GAF into a frenzy.

he says one word and people try to interpret it like he was a prophet or something. the fact is, if a dev wants to implement their own "DRM', they are free to do that even on current gen. so how that is "news" is a mystery to me. but whatever.

BibiMaghoo

Is it though?

That implies the guy has an old OS and that's the reason why he is unable to play any games...

Of course it's open to interpretation, so feel free to interpret as you see fit. If you feel it's a tales from an ass excuse, that's more than fair, but that's the only 'legit' info we have to go on and that's what peterboy is referencing. So I'm not sure your post was particularly justified in its claims.

To me, that implies he has an old OS and they do not want people to see it. That is totally fair enough. My point of contention is that this means they can shut down your console for offline play at their discretion. There is nothing to imply some kind of timer on the OS that prohibits gameplay without updating firmware. The user was banned, and could not play offline. That is horrendous.

Its what Penello- really the only solid source of info we have on this subject- said. A software dev came in the thread and said this stuff is typical. You can ignore that, and believe what you want, but I choose to stay away from the conspiracy talk. I'm not a MS apologist- in fact, I've said its really dumb to ship a brick in the way they did- but I'm not gonna follow you down the conspiracy path that many have thrown out in this thread.

Penello did not say what you said. That the OS had 'expired'. That is simply not true. Read the quote again. He is saying the OS is not finished, and that they do not want people to see it.

It's quit clear who has the agenda here in this thread and it's you. We need a mod in here, this throwing around accusations of astroturfing and shills seems to be a way of discounting someone opinions without having to justify why your ignoring it.

I have agenda if ANY of these console manufactures have a switch to brick a console I may buy. Yes. I do not like this at all. I have accused no one of astroturfing.

PJV3

They were better off leaving the bloke to play online, I doubt there's any real secrets left to spoil. he would probably sign an NDA as he seems to be pally with Nelson.

PBY

Banned
To me, that implies he has an old OS and they do not want people to see it. That is totally fair enough. My point of contention is that this means they can shut down your console for offline play at their discretion. There is nothing to imply some kind of timer on the OS that prohibits gameplay without updating firmware. The user was banned, and could not play offline. That is horrendous.

Penello did not say what you said. That the OS had 'expired'. That is simply not true. Read the quote again. He is saying the OS is not finished, and that they do not want people to see it.

I have agenda if ANY of these console manufactures have a switch to brick a console I may buy. Yes. I do not like this at all. I have accused no one of astroturfing.

Last gen console manufacturers had the power to brick consoles too. All you have to do is push a firmware update that breaks the OS.

BibiMaghoo

Last gen console manufacturers had the power to brick consoles too. All you have to do is push a firmware update that breaks the OS.

You keep saying this as if it is something that happened. That at any point, someone was banned, and could not play their console at all, in any way.

That has never happened. Ever.

My gripe was that for the first time ever, a console manufacturer has the ability - which they used before the console even launched - to brick a console. To reduce its function to nothing, making it 100% worthless.

You can say this 'could' or 'may' have been possible in the past. But it certainly never happened.

Parakeetman

Well you could say the same thing about PCs really. Or more like any piece of hardware that uses updates in general.

At least PCs we can roll back stuff easily which is the main reason as it not being as bad as bricking ones console or handheld. Which would require it to be sent back to the manufacturer most of the time.

PBY

Banned
You keep saying this as if it is something that happened. That at any point, someone was banned, and could not play their console at all, in any way.

That has never happened. Ever.

My gripe was that for the first time ever, a console manufacturer has the ability - which they used before the console even launched - to brick a console. To reduce its function to nothing, making it 100% worthless.

You can say this 'could' or 'may' have been possible in the past. But it certainly never happened.

The bolded is false- because they did have the ability. And in this case, they didn't brick it.

I don't understand your issue?

DarkCloud

If CBOAT does have an "agenda" hes been pretty good about not letting it get into the way of his posts when he does bring information forward to the public.

I'd buy that more if it weren't for the fact that all of his posts since e3 have been negative leaks when regarding the XB1. You can say that there's been no good news to post but that's not true. DRM removal, region free, headset in the box, consoles as "dev kits", indies having all access to the system that a major pub has, and the (minor but still better than nothing) spec bump on the gpu and cpu. Basically all the lol 180 stuff.

He didn't post about any of that. Instead we get MS will make devs pretend ps4 versions don't exist at e3 (didn't happen), low yields leading to downgrades (low yields maybe but downgrades no), snapgate, resgate, impending "ass storm", and stupid 1 word drive-bys like 60sigh, and imagine designed to make people flip out.

Personally I'm not sure if he has an agenda or is playing to the current majority on gaf. But he definitely has a bug up his butt when it comes to the Xbox One.

PBY

Banned
You got a source on that? Serious question.

Source saying they didn't brick it?

Penello said he was banned from Live- it gets unclear form there, whether the issue is an expired OS or dumb user error, but he's playing single player now. So its not a brick?

ascii42

I'd buy that more if it weren't for the fact that all of his posts since e3 have been negative leaks when regarding the XB1. You can say that there's been no good news to post but that's not true. DRM removal, region free, headset in the box, consoles as "dev kits", indies having all access to the system that a major pub has, and the (minor but still better than nothing) spec bump on the gpu and cpu. Basically all the lol 180 stuff.

He didn't post about any of that. Instead we get MS will make devs pretend ps4 versions don't exist at e3 (didn't happen), low yields leading to downgrades (low yields maybe but downgrades no), snapgate, resgate, impending "ass storm", and stupid 1 word drive-bys like 60sigh, and imagine designed to make people flip out.

Personally I'm not sure if he has an agenda or is playing to the current majority on gaf. But he definitely has a bug up his butt when it comes to the Xbox One.

I don't think Cboat ever said anything about downgrades.Not that I recall, at least.

BibiMaghoo

The bolded is false- because they did have the ability. And in this case, they didn't brick it.

I don't understand your issue?

Where is the evidence of this? What proof do you have that was the case? I don't understand how you can say that with a straight face, and provide nothing to prove it true.

I realise now it is irrelevant, because it was not the case here, but you have said things as facts that are not - OS clearly hadn't expired had it - and people took it as truth straight off.

PBY

Banned
Where is the evidence of this? What proof do you have that was the case? I don't understand how you can say that with a straight face, and provide nothing to prove it true.

I realise now it is irrelevant, because it was not the case here, but you have said things as facts that are not - OS clearly hadn't expired had it - and people took it as truth straight off.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying- theres nothing to "prove," its just basic. Any online connected device that can dl firmware updates can be bricked. Theres nothing to debate there.

As to your 2nd point- we don't know about the OS, because we don't have all the info- what we do know is MS banned him from live, and from there- either through user error, or through an expired OS- he THOUGHT he couldnt play offline. But he can. So theres no brick.

The problem is?

Parakeetman

Generally with information good news is never really leaked out as its comes out on its own regardless. Things like the bad stuff that nobody knows about is what doesnt generally make light of day.

A real world example outside of gaming is why some people call Edward Snowden a "hero". Not something Id exactly agree with but thats beside the point Im trying to make here.

Good news is what all companies want people to see. Bad on the other hand or things that can negatively effect the consumers are not. Which is why when someone does bring forward such information it forces the hand so to speak of said parties responsible to make an announcement to the public if the outcry over it is large enough.

Another bit is with how GAF is pretty adamant on preventing "bullshit" in general if they thought that CBOAT was a negative element in terms of information he discloses they would have given him the boot a long time ago. So I think that says something too since we all know how fast people who spread general false information / overly negative constantly last around here.

Amir0x

Banned
I know its true. But the delivery method- and its relation to the point of the OP- stirred up a lot of shit unnecessarily.

Right, but honestly, it's just tensions are flying high right now. A lot of people are either going to be very wrong or very right about these systems. Problems both Sony and Microsoft were trying to tamp down will be revealed. People have actual money invested and jobs on the line.

It's no surprise why even the littlest comment stirs shit.

I will just say not to blame him for that in this case, because his comment was basically the type of largely harmless thing anyone here would post, but because he's cboat, it gets amplified a thousand fold. In this case he was just confirming what everyone knew.

Games which require internet, such as Destiny, likely will. I don't see a problem with that.

But if a dev adds this to their game if it doesn't require a connection, that's their fault for being silly.

I don't either, and I agree with you. As always, we must be vigilante and now take individual developers to task who attempt it for no reason.

DarkCloud

I don't think Cboat ever said anything about downgrades.Not that I recall, at least.

I'm pretty sure he alluded to games at e3 looking worse when we get them at launch. Saying they were going to downgrade the visuals either due to e3 machines being more powerful hardware and or horrible devtools.

Ryse looks better than E3 as does Killer Instinct. Forza 5 is a wash. So yeah didn't happen.

Top Bottom