• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ |OT| Don't you know that I'm toxic?

gaiages

Banned
I'd suggest some titles but maybe they wouldn't be your cup of tea.
If you don't mind searching a bit, check out this link. It's from an online store, but the Otomate site shows only upcoming/recently released games,
and on that store site you get to see cover art and a title (to see the next page, you have to scroll back up btw). In addition, here is a list of Otomate releases or upcoming ones on their own site.
If you find one that seem interesting, dump the title in the search bar of vndb.org. That site has a story synopsis and character profiles in English so you can find out if it's something you'd want to play.
The database will mention developers and publishers, so if it says Otomate, it can be suggested.

It seems the majority of people post titles of games they'd want to play, rather than games they have played and thought were great, so you can't go wrong with what you suggest as long as it's an Otomate game.

Ooo thanks for all the links~! <3

Kirie

That AND vampires? Christ.

Well, I'll never play DL ever then.

I don't want to know the amount of sheer rage I'll get from a game like that.

Also, I thought Otomate made an Atelier game of some sort, so I was gonna vote for that, but I don't see it on their website :(

I know how much you hate (Amnesia spoilers)
Toma and his cage
so I would say that is deeeeeeefinitely one you'd want to stay away from if it ever somehow is localized xD

I think for the Otomate facebook page thing, I'm going to ask for Wand of Fortune, Binary Star, Glass Heart Princess, Trigger Kiss and the Amnesia fandiscs. For games announced at the Otomate Party, I'm really interested in Collar x Malice too.

Rayen

Neo Member
I don't know too much about what otome games are out there, but I have heard about Diabolik Lovers and its... er, interesting take on romance. I hope it doesn't come over because I want to support as many otome games as I can but, yeah, I don't want that one.

I still haven't gotten very far in Code: Realize and Amazon sent my Norn 9 out early so it'll be here on release day. I need more hours in my day so I can finish all of these games I foolishly ordered the last few weeks!

Early impressions (through to chapter 6), I really like Impey and Lupin. I hope their routes are good ones! I'm super unimpressed with Victor and Van Helsing (but he's so pretty!) so far.I don't really have an opinion on Saint-Germain, I don't know. I don't really like him so far but I haven't really seen very much with him actually doing anything and I've seen a lot of people liking his route in this thread. I have high hopes for him! I like that Cardia actually does things! It always annoys me in otome games when the main character is just dragged around by her love interest. I hope none of the routes do anything to change her attitude.

What about the look from Sweet Fuse did you like specifically? Just curious :D
Mainly the artstyle, the variety of dudes (having older and more muscular options particularly), and how proactive the heroine is. The concept of being trapped in a rigged theme park is pretty cool too.

Mainly the artstyle, the variety of dudes (having older and more muscular options particularly), and how proactive the heroine is. The concept of being trapped in a rigged theme park is pretty cool too.

Sweet Fuse was my first otome ever so it was a rough transition after being able to call out dudes for being sexist assholes, haha. I think Sweet Fuse and Amnesia also had the most replay value for me out of everything I've ever played just because each path was so different, but Sweet Fuse really handled the "same circumstance different paths" thing so well.

Sweet Fuse was my first otome ever so it was a rough transition after being able to call out dudes for being sexist assholes, haha. I think Sweet Fuse and Amnesia also had the most replay value for me out of everything I've ever played just because each path was so different, but Sweet Fuse really handled the "same circumstance different paths" thing so well.
Yeah, I love Saki so much. And even when the dudes are doing questionable things, they're still overall a pretty great group of guys (except the secret route...) so I tend to use it as a benchmark for otome games. (Which is probably why I have trouble finding other ones that really interest me, since Sweet Fuse is a bit of an anomaly.)

Being a gay guy playing these just makes me want to see the English expansion of BL/bara happen even faster, but there's still not a lot of selection, and finding ones that are worthwhile among those that exist is even tougher.

gaiages

Banned
Yeah, I love Saki so much. And even when the dudes are doing questionable things, they're still overall a pretty great group of guys (except the secret route...) so I tend to use it as a benchmark for otome games. (Which is probably why I have trouble finding other ones that really interest me, since Sweet Fuse is a bit of an anomaly.)

Being a gay guy playing these just makes me want to see the English expansion of BL/bara happen even faster, but there's still not a lot of selection, and finding ones that are worthwhile among those that exist is even tougher.

I'd love to see more bara love as well, it's sad that there aren't any English ones I can even name offhand. But, if VN popularity/localization efforts continue the same way they have been over the last couple of years, it's only a matter of time before some good ones make it over :3

Kirie

I can definitely understand this when it comes to otoge--bishounen type art reigns supreme with the masses, so very rarely does anything deviate from that. Though a few otome games that I've played have had some muscular type choices (guys like Hideyoshi from Geten no Hana comes to mind) it's definitely not the norm.

I have to admit that I'm one of the ones that disliked SF for it's style of guys and vastly prefer bishounen as a personal preference. But I'd really love to see more people get types that they want in games like these, since everybody should be able to enjoy the genres <3 Also keeps things from getting stale. Like Gaiages said, only a matter of time at this point as the VN/Otoge/BL genres continue to grow!

I'd love to see more bara love as well, it's sad that there aren't any English ones I can even name offhand. But, if VN popularity/localization efforts continue the same way they have been over the last couple of years, it's only a matter of time before some good ones make it over :3
Well, there's Coming Out on Top and No, Thank You!!! and the upcoming Super Health Club and Fantastic Boyfriends: Legends of Midearth, but we've known about those games for a awhile now, and there's been nothing announced since. (And Fantastic Boyfriends is now on the backburner since the IG campaign didn't go through, so we might be waiting quite a while for that one.) I know the BL/bara market isn't that expansive to begin with, and you have to sift through the low quality stuff to find the ones worth while, but we still could be a lot further along IMO.

It would be nice to see more localization firms branch out a bit more and actively pursue the market, and see more support for new developers trying to break into the genre.

I can definitely understand this when it comes to otoge--bishounen type art reigns supreme with the masses, so very rarely does anything deviate from that. Though a few otome games that I've played have had some muscular type choices (guys like Hideyoshi from Geten no Hana comes to mind) it's definitely not the norm.

I have to admit that I'm one of the ones that disliked SF for it's style of guys and vastly prefer bishounen as a personal preference. But I'd really love to see more people get types that they want in games like these, since everybody should be able to enjoy the genres <3 Also keeps things from getting stale. Like Gaiages said, only a matter of time at this point as the VN/Otoge/BL genres continue to grow!
Yeah, it's pretty hard for me to find anyone I really like in the typical otome game, at least from a visual standpoint. There might be one or two that are slightly my style, but usually they're just bordering on anything beyond the standard bishounen and are really more of a compromise as opposed to someone I get actually amped about. Though there's almost always a few non-datable NPCs that are exactly my type, but you can never do anything with them. That Geten no Hana game you mentioned actually looks pretty cool though. I'd never heard of it before and I actually like the artstyle quite a bit, and there's at least two dudes that interest me just from a cursory glance. Why can't we get those games? D:

I don't begrudge the genre having a large focus on bishounen types, as that's obviously what sells to their core demographic, but otome games have a real tendency, at least in my experience, to be very cookie cutter from a visual standpoint. I keep hoping to see more shake ups, but they're still few and far between. It may seem more pronounced to me because I'm "intruding", in a sense, on this genre, because games made from a gay male perspective are still incredibly rare. Of course anyone can enjoy these games, but I know I'm not their target audience so it can feel a bit discouraging sometimes.

Shizuka

Well, there's Coming Out on Top and No, Thank You!!! and the upcoming Super Health Club and Fantastic Boyfriends: Legends of Midearth, but we've known about those games for a awhile now, and there's been nothing announced since. (And Fantastic Boyfriends is now on the backburner since the IG campaign didn't go through, so we might be waiting quite a while for that one.) I know the BL/bara market isn't that expansive to begin with, and you have to sift through the low quality stuff to find the ones worth while, but we still could be a lot further along IMO.

It would be nice to see more localization firms branch out a bit more and actively pursue the market, and see more support for new developers trying to break into the genre.

I did my part and bought NTY! physical limited edition. It's the only physical PC game I own, actually.

Kirie

Yeah, it's pretty hard for me to find anyone I really like in the typical otome game, at least from a visual standpoint. There might be one or two that are slightly my style, but usually it's they're just slightly bordering on anything beyond the standard bishounen and are really more of a compromise as opposed to someone I get actually amped about. Though there's almost always a few non-datable NPCs that are exactly my type, but you can never do anything with them. That Geten no Hana game you mentioned actually looks pretty cool though. I'd never heard of it before and I actually like the artstyle quite a bit, and there's at least two dudes that interest me just from a cursory glance. Why can't we get those games? D:

I don't begrudge the genre having a large focus on bishounen types, as that's obviously what sells to their core demographic, but otome games have a real tendency, at least in my experience, to be very cookie cutter from a visual standpoint. I keep hoping to see more shake ups, but they're still few and far between. It may seem more pronounced to me because I'm "intruding", in a sense, on this genre, because games made from a gay male perspective are still incredibly rare. Of course anyone can enjoy these games, but I know I'm not their target audience so it can feel a bit discouraging sometimes.

It always works out that way doesn't it? I hate it when the sub-characters are actually way more interesting and desirable than the actual main cast of a game, lol.

Geten no Hana is one of my all-time favorite otoge series! The main heroine Hotaru is a kickass kunoichi who is sent to infiltrate Azuichi Castle to figure out who is trying to plan an assassination plot against Nobunaga. She ends up posing at Nobunaga's vassal Mitsuhide's sister, and the story goes on from there. She has a strong personality, kicks major butt in combat and can actually shapeshift into different things (a bird, a man, a frog, etc) I would kill for it and its fandisc to get localized. I love historical otoge so it's perfect for me (don't like Hakuouki weirdly enough) but a lot of the Japanese is kind of hard for me to read since there's a ton of old terms in it, so it makes it rough at times. (Thanks for letting me gush about these games for a second, they're so good lol) I wish one of these localization companies or that Koei themselves would release some of their Neoromance otoge over here as they are just super amazing.

I completely agree with you on the "playing it safe" thing that most otome games have going on. It's really quite rare that we get something that deviates from the "norm" so I definitely understand what you're saying. I'm really sorry that it makes you feel discouraged though and please don't feel like you're "intruding" :( I can imagine how frustrating it is especially being a genre of games that you really enjoy and having it be difficult to find certain things that appeal to you within it.

I know Shizuka is planning on making an otome game community later on in the month, maybe it could also be a place to welcome discussion on BL games too?

I did my part and bought NTY! physical limited edition. It's the only physical PC game I own, actually.
I was thinking about getting that, the artwork for that game is so nice. It's too bad portions of the narrative are so problematic, because the rest of the game is awesome.

It always works out that way doesn't it? I hate it when the sub-characters are actually way more interesting and desirable than the actual main cast of a game, lol.

Geten no Hana is one of my all-time favorite otoge series! The main heroine Hotaru is a kickass kunoichi who is sent to infiltrate Azuichi Castle to figure out who is trying to plan an assassination plot against Nobunaga. She ends up posing at Nobunaga's vassal Mitsuhide's sister, and the story goes on from there. She has a strong personality, kicks major butt in combat and can actually shapeshift into different things (a bird, a man, a frog, etc) I would kill for it and its fandisc to get localized. I love historical otoge so it's perfect for me (don't like Hakuouki weirdly enough) but a lot of the Japanese is kind of hard for me to read since there's a ton of old terms in it, so it makes it rough at times. (Thanks for letting me gush about these games for a second, they're so good lol) I wish one of these localization companies or that Koei themselves would release some of their Neoromance otoge over here as they are just super amazing.

I completely agree with you on the "playing it safe" thing that most otome games have going on. It's really quite rare that we get something that deviates from the "norm" so I definitely understand what you're saying. I'm really sorry that it makes you feel discouraged though and please don't feel like you're "intruding" :( I can imagine how frustrating it is especially being a genre of games that you really enjoy and having it be difficult to find certain things that appeal to you within it.

I know Shizuka is planning on making an otome game community later on in the month, maybe it could also be a place to welcome discussion on BL games too?
The frustration mainly comes from constantly being told to "be patient", that we'll get content geared towards players like me eventually. So I have to try and seek it out elsewhere in the meantime in other related genres, but I'm basically scrounging for little scraps of something in a sea of content that really wasn't meant for me in particular, not that I still can't enjoy it regardless, and I do. (And this certainly isn't specific to otome games/VNs, but all gaming.) I'm excited to see otome games get more exposure and I'm looking forward to the OT. I would like to have a place to discuss BL/bara stuff too, since there's a lot of potential for crossover between the genres, but I don't want to railroad the OT. Usually when I bring it up bara games or whatever in the Visual Novel OT I don't get much of response besides the few others here I know that like it, or some random person telling me how ugly they think the style is.

Your discription of Geten no Hana makes it sound really awesome though, so I hope we see that in English in the future. (I don't know if Koei has any interest in translating their otome games sadly.)

Shizuka

How is "skip already read" supposed to work? I finished a playthrough for Impey, started a new game, but I hit the "skip already read" button and it's not skipping anything.

c-murph

So, I preordered this game because I had some sort of mild interest in it, I guess. Forgot about it and amazon shipped it to me. Figured I'd give it a shot.

So, this is basically just a visual novella game right? Is the story any good? How long to finish reading? How long to plat?

Shizuka

So, I preordered this game because I had some sort of mild interest in it, I guess. Forgot about it and amazon shipped it to me. Figured I'd give it a shot.

So, this is basically just a visual novella game right? Is the story any good? How long to finish reading? How long to plat?

It's a visual novel, yes. The story is pretty great, even if you're not into the romance aspect of the game. It's a bit long if you want to read all the routes, over 30 hours or so. If you want to plat, you can skip all dialogue and get it in less than 10 hours.

Prelude.

Not really IT, but there's no otome thread (afaik) so I'll just post it here.
I just noticed that it's going to release soon an Angelique remake for the Vita, I think it's pretty likely that it's gonna end up localized this time. It's pretty much the Otome OG and the times are ready.

Kirie

I just noticed that it's going to release soon an Angelique remake for the Vita, I think it's pretty likely that it's gonna end up localized this time.

I have this preordered! I was sad when it got delayed, but I'm glad it's almost out now. Really nice that they got the original seiyuu back for it too.

I would kill for this and Haruka 6 to be localized though. The Ruby Party otoges are all just too good.

jzbluz

I just noticed that it's going to release soon an Angelique remake for the Vita, I think it's pretty likely that it's gonna end up localized this time. It's pretty much the Otome OG and the times are ready.

I wish, since it feels like one of those games that otome fans should play, but this is KT and they probably feel that the game won't sell enough to make the localization worthwhile. Unless they let another company (maybe NISA) license the game.

On a related note, I'm not sure if you guys heard but apparently Petit Reve is interested in the English market. Their Buccaneers game wasn't reviewed that well, but their recently released Goes! might be better.

Prelude.

I wish, since it feels like one of those games that otome fans should play, but this is KT and they probably feel that the game won't sell enough to make the localization worthwhile. Unless they let another company (maybe NISA) license the game.
They said in the past they were interested in localizing it if there was enough demand and now it seems a pretty favorable time to localize otome. Who doesn't know about it, after all? But considering the quality of IFI localizations it'd be better if someone else did it.

Saphirax

I hope we do get it. But, I haven't seen that much demand for the game.

Saphirax

Guys, the Otome OT will go up this weekend, hopefully tomorrow! Stay tuned!

tumblr_njr9nvsWeW1si3gq6o1_r1_500.gif

Shizuka

While we're at it, any suggestions for a title? No title? I'd go with something from a Taylor Swift lyrics, just because.

Kirie

Excited for the Otome OT!

Although C:R is by far my favorite of the three main otoges released this year, Amnesia (barring the typos) had my favorite localization quality-wise. C:R was decent, but I'm still annoyed at the naming conventions and it also had plenty of typos. Apparently it was outsourced though. Norn9's I've already complained about, but there's a lot that annoyed me with it.

Aksys blocked a few people on Twitter who were outspoken about not being happy with Norn9's localization. :/ While I understand people get overly passionate and vocal about it, they probably should have just ignored them instead. It just riles people up even more.

adz2ka

So, few questions. This is currently up on sale (if you can even call £20 a sale) on PSN. I'm slightly reluctant to get it because there's no resale value in digital blah blah blah.

I'm more interested in the story than the relationships between the characters. I understand they go hand in hand, but I'm not fussed if the main character spends half her time trying to woo half the cast. Steins;Gate was a good balance between story and character relationship building for me.

After coming from Danganronpa and Steins;Gate, both have interesting thematic ideas, which helps I guess breaking into this genre of game. Anything similar here?

Finally, how long is it? Took me a good couple of weeks for the above 2 considering I was playing at a leisurely pace - maybe a couple of hours every other day

Shizuka

So, few questions. This is currently up on sale (if you can even call £20 a sale) on PSN. I'm slightly reluctant to get it because there's no resale value in digital blah blah blah.

I'm more interested in the story than the relationships between the characters. I understand they go hand in hand, but I'm not fussed if the main character spends half her time trying to woo half the cast. Steins;Gate was a good balance between story and character relationship building for me.

After coming from Danganronpa and Steins;Gate, both have interesting thematic ideas, which helps I guess breaking into this genre of game. Anything similar here?

Finally, how long is it? Took me a good couple of weeks for the above 2 considering I was playing at a leisurely pace - maybe a couple of hours every other day

The story is pretty interesting, romance aside. It's around 30 hours long, since it has multiple routes.

Top Bottom