• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 3| Kiffen/Brown Farewell Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres the thing I dont get. Wiscy players knew they were going to kneel the ball, they know the clock keeps running with that. Why didnt they hurry up and try to setup for a spike, they acted like they had no intention of lining up at all until 2 seconds left.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Guess I'll post my picks...

(THU) TCU @ Texas Tech by 6
Louisville @ Kentucky by 21
UCLA @ Nebraska by 4
Fresno State @ Colorado by 4
Boston College @ USC by 4
Alabama @ Texas A&M by 7
Georgia Tech @ Duke by 7
Ohio State @ California by 6
Mississippi State @ Auburn by 4
Ole Miss @ Texas by 9
Oregon State @ Utah by 6
Wisconsin @ Arizona State by 7

I did ok I think. Should get a ruling that Wisconsin gets the win here that they should have, cause they got fucking robbed.

Jamesways

I have no love lost for Wisconsin, but not even I can get any amusement out of seeing them get blatantly screwed by bad officiating. And then seeing those coward refs scamper out of the stadium as quickly as possible - how infuriating.

And those miserable shitstain Bielemas can get fucked. Keep trying to convince yourselves that living in Arkansas is somehow better than living in Madison. Enjoy being an SEC bottom dweller, you idiot fat-faced fuck.
Thank you for this post BertramCooper. I know there's not a lot of love between Wis and OSU fans, but this really makes me feel better this morning.
And I'm with you on Bielema, I already feel more positive about this season since he's not here anymore. And Barry put it best saying "Not one person has said they were sorry he left". Good f'n riddance.

Heres the thing I dont get. Wiscy players knew they were going to kneel the ball, they know the clock keeps running with that. Why didnt they hurry up and try to setup for a spike, they acted like they had no intention of lining up at all until 2 seconds left.
Agreed, they should have hustled and got in formation. The red stopped them from snapping it but at least Stave could have stopped arguing and got in formation.

Still, what a bunch of bullshit.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If not for that BC over USC pick I would have had a perfect week.

Shame about MOV points though, I'm not sure if I got any.

Enfinit

Noles jumping the Dawgs to #8. All hail our lord and savior Famous Jameis.

Eh, I dunno.

They still had to attempt a FG, and I've heard their kicking is suspect.
Still, it would have been a field goal of under >30 yards. The percentage of that hitting the mark is pretty high. Wisconsin should've won.

That's because he wasn't running off of the field. The offense was going to spike the ball, then the kicking team would come out on 3rd down. It's a complete display of referee ineptitude. If this happened to an SEC team I'd love to see the outrage it gets compared to this - but ESPN creates the news and ignored this last night with a lack of effort.
I watched Sportscenter for an hour after the game and for about two hours this morning as I had it on in the background while getting some work done. Granted, I might've missed it, but I saw zero coverage of the questionable ref calls. If something like this had happened in, say, the A&M/Bama game, the collegiate football world would be crumbling.

Offensive lines were great in the game. Defensive lines pretty bad.

I'm just glad we didn't UCF it and were able to hold on.
UCF's really solid. I'll be in Orlando next weekend, and I was originally going to go to the game, but my girl wants to go to Disney for her birthday. My dad and a couple other Gamecock alum will be there, and I'm kinda glad I won't be around for the upset.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
AP Poll

Code:
1	Alabama (59)	2-0	1,499	1
2	Oregon (1)	3-0	1,413	2
3	Clemson	        2-0  	1,347	3
4	Ohio State	3-0	1,330	4
5	Stanford	2-0	1,241	5
6	LSU	        3-0     1,134	8
7	Louisville	3-0	1,092	7
8	Florida State	2-0	1,058	10
9	Georgia	        1-1	1,051	9
10	Texas A&M	2-1	1,001	6
11	Oklahoma State	3-0	848	12
12	South Carolina	2-1	821	13
13	UCLA	        2-0     757	16
14	Oklahoma	3-0	692	14
15	Michigan	3-0	672	11
16	Miami (FL)	2-0	641	15
17	Washington	2-0	496	19
18	Northwestern	3-0	487	17
19	Florida       	1-1	412	18
20	Baylor	        2-0	355	22
21	Mississippi	3-0	300	25
22	Notre Dame	2-1	277	21
23	Arizona State	2-0	229	26
24	Wisconsin	2-1	87	20
25	Texas Tech	3-0	60	-

Just cracked the top 25, and we have Texas State, bye week, Kansas, and Iowa State on our schedule the next 4 weeks so we should be able to stay in there for a while. The next game after that is @WVU which I think will be a test for us.

...though I worry about that Kansas game more than most, I think. I still say they'll upset somebody this year that they shouldn't, the game is in Lawrence, we've had more trouble with them lately than we should have, and we still can't run the ball for shit. That game begins the window where a lot of people think Brewer will be back at QB, though, so we may not be starting a true freshman by then.

desh

I watched Sportscenter for an hour after the game and for about two hours this morning as I had it on in the background while getting some work done. Granted, I might've missed it, but I saw zero coverage of the questionable ref calls. If something like this had happened in, say, the A&M/Bama game, the collegiate football world would be crumbling.
ESPN had coverage of the ASU-WISCY blown call on three different programs: college football final (Reece thought Spade never kneeled), sportscenter u, and this morning on sportscenter.

AntoneM

I did ok I think. Should get a ruling that Wisconsin gets the win here that they should have, cause they got fucking robbed.
Illegal men down field on the fake punt not called. Blown call on the WR who stepped out of bounds around the 50 so Wiscy wouldn't have been in fg range anyway. Yeah, they got robbed...

mcgruber

AP:
Others Receiving Votes: Michigan State (3-0) 59; Fresno State (2-0) 27; UCF (3-0) 25; Northern Illinois (2-0) 24; Georgia Tech (2-0) 17; Nebraska (2-1) 15; Arizona (3-0) 11; Auburn (3-0) 9; Boise State (2-1) 4; Virginia Tech (2-1) 3; TCU (1-2) 3; Arkansas (3-0) 2; Navy (2-0) 1

TCU still getting votes at 1-2? Really?

Everyone forgetting they they got screwed by the refs too? They would beat all the other teams receiving votes

Coaches' Poll

Code:
1	  Alabama	2-0	1549	61	1
2	  Oregon	3-0	1477	1	2
3	  Ohio St.	3-0	1398	0	3
4	  Clemson	2-0	1331	0	5
5	  Stanford	2-0	1314	0	4
6	  Louisville	3-0	1128	0	7
7	  LSU	        3-0	1121	0	8
8	  Florida St.	2-0	1113	0	9
9	  Texas A&M	2-1	1033	0	6
10	  Georgia	1-1	1022	0	10
11	  Oklahoma St.	3-0	908	0	11
12	  Oklahoma	3-0	839	0	13
13	  S. Carolina	2-1	811	0	14
14	  Michigan	3-0	743	0	12
15	  UCLA	        2-0	699	0	17
16	  Northwestern	3-0	582	0	16
17	  Miami	        2-0	559	0	18
18	  Florida	1-1	398	0	20
19	  Baylor	2-0	375	0	22
20	  Washington	2-0	361	0	23
21	  Notre Dame	2-1	331	0	21
22	  Mississippi	3-0	303	0	25
23	  Arizona St.	2-0	176	0	NR
24	  Michigan St.	3-0	131	0	NR
25	  Fresno St.	2-0	75	0	NR

Others Receiving Votes
Nebraska 55; Wisconsin 53; Texas Tech 49; Georgia Tech 37; Arkansas 34; Central Florida 33; Arizona 29; Northern Illinois 26; Auburn 15; Virginia Tech 9; Brigham Young 8; Southern California 7; Kansas State 6; Boise State 5; Utah State 5; Rutgers 2.

Westonian

Basing this off of what? a terrible half?

One win doesn't make ucf good

TCU has only one win, and that one against a regional state school in Louisiana. Sure, there were a couple of bad calls, but none of those were while TCU was driving. They were kept from scoring by themselves and Tech's defense.

mcgruber

Are you actually saying that TCU should be ranked? I can't even tell.

No, of course not. I wasn't sure if he was implying that ucf was better. Most of those teams haven't played anyone. Not like week 3 polls really matter that much anyway

Has a week 4 title been decided?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
sunseri.gif

Basing this off of what? a terrible half?

One win doesn't make ucf good

My statement was simply about yours saying TCU would beat everyone in the receiving votes category. Really wasn't saying anything about UCF.

And we have 3 wins, btw. Hell Akron almost pulled the upset in the Big House and of course we took out a strong PSU team in their place. That counts for something.

mre

I love the ball bouncing off the helmet. Gets me every time.

As does the bad tackle attempt at the 8 yard line, doesn't wrap up or anything, just lets Sunseri bounce off him and keep going.

The ball was punched by #20 for Bama, Jarrick Williams. Didn't hit the receiver's helmet.

ag-my001

Pros: game was awesome, competitive, and exciting.

Cons: we lost.

Great game for Alabama, wish they'd have shown more of Saban's meltdown, but I have a feeling you guys should be very afraid of Oregon. Saban hasn't figured out the spread with a mobile QB, and there's no way anyone else has as soft a defense as us.

Except Texas, naturally.

UCF's really solid. I'll be in Orlando next weekend, and I was originally going to go to the game, but my girl wants to go to Disney for her birthday. My dad and a couple other Gamecock alum will be there, and I'm kinda glad I won't be around for the upset.

Defense makes me nervous still but yeah the offense is pretty good this year.

As for USC, that game is in two weeks. Both teams will be coming off a bye. Very nervous for that one but it should be a good game.

I'm pissed I might miss it depending on when the kickoff is. I'm hoping for a later kickoff because I have a work assignment in Gainesville until 3 that day. If it's 12, I'm fucked. If 3:30 I'll at least be able to find some sports bar to go to. If it is anytime after, I'll be able to make the drive to UCF and go to the game.

mre

Great game for Alabama, wish they'd have shown more of Saban's meltdown, but I have a feeling you guys should be very afraid of Oregon. Saban hasn't figured out the spread with a mobile QB, and there's no way anyone else has as soft a defense as us.

Except Texas, naturally.
Saban has faced, and beaten, talented mobile QBs before. See Tebow, Tim. There's not another QB in the nation like Manziel, not even Mariota from Oregon. There were several times when any other QB would have been sacked for a ridiculous loss, but Manziel stayed on his feet and made some unbelievable throw.

I'm not worried about Oregon. At all. I know that your defense is horrific, but after watching that game I'm convinced that our o-line was working with very vanilla blocking schemes against VA Tech--as suggested by rumors from "people who should know"--and that they are a very, very good group. The only team I'm going to stress about from here on out is LSU.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Except Texas, naturally.

Unless they have a 6'5" wr, not as worried.

Their spread is run based, and doesn't work as well when the oline is blown up in the middle (see Stanford and LSU games)

It's months away, and anything could happen to either teams.

andycapps

Except Texas, naturally.
They don't play Oregon this year.

stevekick.gif

Fun fact:

Cal football APR: 935
Ohio State football APR: 982

But honestly, this "we're smarter than you" argument is such bush-league bullshit. The columnist is quite obviously one of those bitter ex-Ohioans with a nonsensical ax to grind.

Writer sounds like a B1G fan. Or a Georgia Tech fan.

It's just one game.

You sure? So far SEC defenses have given up:

- 467 yards to Clemson (Georgia)
- 509 yards to Rice (A&M)
- 432 yards to OkSt (Miss St.)
- 687 yards to Oregon (Tennessee)
- 492 yards to Louisville (Kentucky)

In some all-SEC matchups, we've seen:
- 992 combined total yards, 71 points total in South Carolina @ Georgia
- 1196 combined total yards, 91 points in Alabama @ Texas A&M
- 847 combined total yards, 60 points in Vandy @ South Carolina
- 874 combined total yards, 44 points in Miss St @ Auburn

That's just at a glance. Just saying, those "vaunted" SEC defenses aren't seeming so vaunty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom