• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 3| Kiffen/Brown Farewell Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madtown_

A stupid ending.

Just spike the ball.

If your K sucks so bad you have to center a 30yd FGA or its a total adventure, replace him. We once got a kid out of the stands and signed him up to be our K at Texas Tech.
Spike the ball? The clock wasn't running. Sure, maybe they should have just tried the field goal but they didn't.

4k resolution please, wouldn't be able to use that to overturn anything, same with the heel out of bounds call from earlier in the game.

Also, there's nothing that needs to be conclusive, nothing to be overturned. The referees called the play dead, but let the defense lay on the ball and then didn't let Wisconsin spike it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Not gonna lie. This ending is the best thing about this CFB weekend. That Jen Beliema tweet alone will keep the muckrackers at the world wide leader busy for the next week.

Also we really need Wisconsin to play LSU as soon as possible

Getting Arkansas back on the map!

Well, only because they recently hired her husband.

Madtown_

Haha, yeah. At first I was looking for the left knee to be down. Not sure why the other angle wasn't on tv right away.

Because sportscenter was immediately following the (and every) ESPN broadcast. Just awful, especially when they really could have talked about the ending for a few minutes.

Because sportscenter was immediately following the (and every) ESPN broadcast. Just awful, especially when they really could have talked about the ending for a few minutes.

ESPN's crappy "Thou shalt not let a sporting competition or actual sports programming of any kind interrupt or delay SportsCenter" is the reason we have stuff like shitty 6:30 starts for Texas Tech vs TCU on a Thurs. night, instead of a sensible 7:00 start.

Gotta get that SportsCenter in.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
And Remember:

tamucaughtballoutofbounds9-14-13.jpg

This is a catch now.

Chris R

ESPN's crappy "Thou shalt not let a sporting competition or actual sports programming of any kind interrupt or delay SportsCenter" is the reason we have stuff like shitty 6:30 starts for Texas Tech vs TCU on a Thurs. night, instead of a sensible 7:00 start.

Gotta get that SportsCenter in.

I thought they didn't want to run head to head against the NFL?

Has it been mentioned that shaggy requires you to register to watch them meltdown?

I think it's because they've been in and out of server hell since the game started getting out of hand. Even now, they're just barely holding the site together.

I'm a member. There's nothing going on there that hasn't been going on there since last year. The meltdowns are the same.

So since I was away today, my thoughts:

- Completely different USC offense showed up today. Supposedly USC President Max Nikias called the opening play for USC, which was to "throw it deep and the fans will cheer no matter what." Turned out to be true, since even though it was an incompletion people were fired up to put that conservative "no throws past 5 yards" bullshit behind us.

- Kessler looked like spring camp Kessler. A lot more poised, put together. Guess that whole "confidence from being named the guy" thing actually does mean a lot. Too bad Lane never learned that from Pete Carroll, who always named a starting QB as soon as possible so that the guy could grow into the role and be comfortable and confident in his position.

- Starting USC defense still hasn't given up any touchdowns. That being true and us being 2-1 is a fucking travesty.

- Oregon played well, but nobody can say they looked good. Holy hell those were some duck-ugly uniforms. The highlighter yellow has never been a good look.

- Solid week for the Pac-12 against the B1G once again. Cal's not going to have a good year but they're going to scare some teams. They're not a 1-11 Colorado type of team.

- Dat SEC defense. Alabama gives up the most yardage in school history and still wins. May the "SEC defense" myth rest in piece. These teams have just never had even semi-decent offenses until recently.

- What can you say but :jnc to Texas? Mack Brown town

- That ASU game ending was hilarious. You know those refs didn't see the kneel down, nobody did. It was like.. what the fuck do we do with a guy that just places the ball on the ground?

- #karma

just saw the end of the arizona st game...wtf was that?

1. the qb actualy spiked the ball, the refs didt stop the clock and then prevented the snap

or

2. the qb has no fucking clue how to spike the ball and instead fumbles and arizona st recovers

I think the refs were so confused by the shitty qb decision that once it set in they knew they made the wrong call on the play and then ran off the clock

That Wisconsin QB was having a laugh.

I saw it live and thought, gee, I thought you had to drop the knee so it touched the ground.

Just stupid and noob decision, even I knew that.

They didnt have a timeout, they should have kicked for the field goal when they got the first down with about 40sec left. Once they got the point in front, they would have to back their defence to defend for the 20 or so secs.

haha, from that angle he knee is clearly down.

I saw it live and they didnt replay or show from a different angle and I watched until the umpires were running off the field.

Surely under the circumstances of the game, the umpires would be able to check television replays.

edit: the other thing was that it wasnt like he dropped the knee and ran off for the kicker to come on. He just stayed out there, which may have made the umpires think that he dropped the ball.

Im not too fussed, I had money on Wisconsin +5.5pts so I won my money.

Madtown_

haha, from that angle he knee is clearly down.

I saw it live and they didnt replay or show from a different angle and I watched until the umpires were running off the field.

Surely under the circumstances of the game, the umpires would be able to check television replays.

edit: the other thing was that it wasnt like he dropped the knee and ran off for the kicker to come on. He just stayed out there, which may have made the umpires think that he dropped the ball.

Im not too fussed, I had money on Wisconsin +5.5pts so I won my money.

That's because he wasn't running off of the field. The offense was going to spike the ball, then the kicking team would come out on 3rd down. It's a complete display of referee ineptitude. If this happened to an SEC team I'd love to see the outrage it gets compared to this - but ESPN creates the news and ignored this last night with a lack of effort.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's because he wasn't running off of the field. The offense was going to spike the ball, then the kicking team would come out on 3rd down. It's a complete display of referee ineptitude. If this happened to an SEC team I'd love to see the outrage it gets compared to this - but ESPN creates the news and ignored this last night with a lack of effort.

Or if the game wasn't ridiculously late at night.

I guess yesterday was just a wonderful day for bad reffing.

Schmitty

Well, I was prepared for my Nittany Lions to lose so last night wasn't that upsetting. UCF's O Line just controlled the game and our defense couldn't tackle.

Too bad we had to fumble in those last 8 min, we could have came back. Still good to be back in State College after graduation.

Well, I was prepared for my Nittany Lions to lose so last night wasn't that upsetting. UCF's O Line just controlled the game and our defense couldn't tackle.

Too bad we had to fumble in those last 8 min, we could have came back. Still good to be back in State College after graduation.
Offensive lines were great in the game. Defensive lines pretty bad.

I'm just glad we didn't UCF it and were able to hold on.

The Lamp

Hmm...even the Jizz Jar? PEACE.

This is my fourth year at the school and I had never even heard of that until GAF and I have yet to be able to verify it to be a real thing. Lol.

Anyway, yesterday was amazing. We may have lost to Bama but it was a good game (sans our sucky defense), absolutely thrilling to watch from the best seats in the student section. Man, it was worth not selling my ticket.

Schmitty

Offensive lines were great in the game. Defensive lines pretty bad.

I'm just glad we didn't UCF it and were able to hold on.

I really think we could have pulled it off without that fumble. There have been too many under the lights comebacks in recent years.

Can't be too mad though because Zwinak scored 3 TDs. I'm hoping this motivates the team for Mich and Neb at home to make up for the loss. Mich didn't look so hot yesterday.

I'm still in Berkeley for another day (I've got a midnight flight tonight; hooray!), but here are my thoughts so far.

-Great college town. Beautiful campus. Good bars. Nice people. All of which I pretty much expected.

-Gorgeous stadium. It's basically a smaller, more scenic version of the Big House. Very impressed. But man, those rows are super-narrow. I'm 6"1' and I was struggling not to knee the people in front of me the entire game. Luckily, they were OSU fans, so they didn't mind. I know they've renovated it to make it safer in the event of an earthquake, but man, if that place ever needed evacuated, it would be an absolute mess.

-Holy shit, it never ceases to amazes me how well we travel. Scarlet and gray everywhere in Berkeley before the game, and the stadium was at least 50/50, possibly more. Got a couple of a Stadium O-H-I-Os going, which was fun. (I wish I could take credit for that Vine, but I can't.) Cal's student section tried unsuccessfully to drown us out, which was amusing.

-Cal's got a pretty good band, but I was astounded by how little they played during the game. Our band plays constantly, reacting to every significant play, as do most B1G marching bands. Are all Pac 12 bands this quiet? I can't imagine, since I've seen USC's, so I know they're not. Get into it, Cal Band.

-Oski is such a wonderful little weirdo. It's kind of hilarious to see him prowl the sidelines the entire game. I was hoping to see a bit of playful sparring between Brutus and Oski, but it never materialized.

-As for the game, most of what I could say has probably already been said. The D continues to be a huge concern, but since it was our first road game and Jared Goff is legitimately great (future NFLer, no question; maybe the Browns will draft him), I'm not going to freak out or anything. Cal is going to have a rotten season, obviously, but their O is definitely capable of pulling off an upset. I'd love to see them give Oregon a scare in a couple of weeks.

So all in all, a fun experience. Thanks, Berkeley!

I have no love lost for Wisconsin, but not even I can get any amusement out of seeing them get blatantly screwed by bad officiating. And then seeing those coward refs scamper out of the stadium as quickly as possible - how infuriating.

And those miserable shitstain Bielemas can get fucked. Keep trying to convince yourselves that living in Arkansas is somehow better than living in Madison. Enjoy being an SEC bottom dweller, you idiot fat-faced fuck.

clav

Northwestern fans want a College Game Day in Evanston. I assume it might happen if Northwestern does not lose next week.

Paches

I have no love lost for Wisconsin, but not even I can get any amusement out of seeing them get blatantly screwed by bad officiating. And then seeing those coward refs scamper out of the stadium as quickly as possible - how infuriating.

And those miserable shitstain Bielemas can get fucked. Keep trying to convince yourselves that living in Arkansas is somehow better than living in Madison. Enjoy being an SEC bottom dweller, you idiot fat-faced fuck.

That is the thing that got me most. They literally ran away.

AP Poll

Code:
1	Alabama (59)	2-0	1,499	1
2	Oregon (1)	3-0	1,413	2
3	Clemson	        2-0  	1,347	3
4	Ohio State	3-0	1,330	4
5	Stanford	2-0	1,241	5
6	LSU	        3-0     1,134	8
7	Louisville	3-0	1,092	7
8	Florida State	2-0	1,058	10
9	Georgia	        1-1	1,051	9
10	Texas A&M	2-1	1,001	6
11	Oklahoma State	3-0	848	12
12	South Carolina	2-1	821	13
13	UCLA	        2-0     757	16
14	Oklahoma	3-0	692	14
15	Michigan	3-0	672	11
16	Miami (FL)	2-0	641	15
17	Washington	2-0	496	19
18	Northwestern	3-0	487	17
19	Florida       	1-1	412	18
20	Baylor	        2-0	355	22
21	Mississippi	3-0	300	25
22	Notre Dame	2-1	277	21
23	Arizona State	2-0	229	26
24	Wisconsin	2-1	87	20
25	Texas Tech	3-0	60	-

Westonian

AP:
Others Receiving Votes: Michigan State (3-0) 59; Fresno State (2-0) 27; UCF (3-0) 25; Northern Illinois (2-0) 24; Georgia Tech (2-0) 17; Nebraska (2-1) 15; Arizona (3-0) 11; Auburn (3-0) 9; Boise State (2-1) 4; Virginia Tech (2-1) 3; TCU (1-2) 3; Arkansas (3-0) 2; Navy (2-0) 1

TCU still getting votes at 1-2? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom