• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Five: We got to see them BOTH lose!

george_us

Ohio state corners didn't allow any completions against them. Team as a whole only allowed 3 completions, 0 in the second half.
Insane that this defense is a couple of steps ahead of last year with all of the losses. I know the competition isn't the best but tOSU wasn't completely stonewalling offenses like they have been at this point. Here's hoping Urban can hang onto Schiano for a couple more years.

cashman

Banned
For the record, I believe Tennessee will lose their next two games. Playing sloppily in the first half is going to bite us in the ass eventually, and once again poor play calling at the end of the game is what put us in the situation of needing a Hail Mary in the first place. We aren't going to continue to get those breaks. At some point or another, we are going to have to out couch the oppostion, and I don't think this coaching staff is capable of that.

But with that said, if the Vols do the unthinkable and sweep both A&M and Bama, wouldn't we be deserving of the #1 spot? Because right now the rankings don't seem to be playing out that way. We have now beaten three teams that at one point or another were ranked in the top 25. Yet as of today, we are sitting at the same place in the rankings as we were going into season; #9.

I know in the end it won't matter, if the Vols win out or go 1-1 over the next two weeks and make it to SEC championship game unscathed from there, then a win in Atlanta would in all likelyhood put us into the playoffs. But the AP ranking still rubs me the wrong way when none of teams ahead of us have been penalized for playing down to their competition like we were opening week.

What im trying to say is that if we somehow pull these next two weeks off, we will easily have the most impressive resume of the remaining unbeatens. At that point we better start getting the proper amount of respect for thr guantlet we just conquered, and be placed at the top of the rankings like we deserve. Or else.... shit what do I even care for? The AP is bullshit anyways. Bring on the committee rankings.

Well, duh. If Tennesee beats A&M and bama they would likely have the best resume of any team at that point.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So the Atlanta Braves played their final game at Turner Field tonight.

Here's one potential rendering of Turner's future as Georgia State's football stadium (via reddit/r/CFB's twitter):

CtzptiTUEAEGKNq.jpg

His username literally has wvu in it.

It's a backwards alphabet and a countdown. He obviously knows something about the cosmos the rest of us do not know, probably an extinction level event. He says they won't drop out next week, so we probably have some time, but then he also called it a bye week.

tl;dr we're all dead.

Ganhyun

Yeah, really bad. Guess they practice that the end of practice every Thursday. The guys knew what to do, just didn't do it. College football in a nutshell. UGA football in particular.

This picture is fantastic.

dmqithqh.jpg

And this picture from UGA wide receiver Reggie Wilkerson is interesting. Don't think he's played at all this year, but maybe the older members of the team like him haven't bought into what Kirby is selling.

g733QHAh.jpg

I'd imagine most of the older players are not happy. Afterall, they got to go from Richt's philosophy to Kirby's, which I'm sure is not too far from Saban's if its any different. Looks liek alot of players who were expected to be big players haven't stepped up and at times have quit on plays and such.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Well, duh. If Tennesee beats A&M and bama they would likely have the best resume of any team at that point.

It seems like a no duh situation, but I guarantee you if such a scenario unfolds then the talk after the game will be more about Alabama and/or the SEC being overrated, resulting in Tennessee not moving past #3 in the AP (unless Clemson, Michigan, and Ohio State fall in the next two weeks).

I would say wait and see but then again we are talking about a dream scenario here.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Well, the Louisville teams he coached were tough on D, right?things couldn't get much worse for Texas D, so it isn't a bad idea, and one that will save his chances of running a premiere program ever again.

andycapps

I'd imagine most of the older players are not happy. Afterall, they got to go from Richt's philosophy to Kirby's, which I'm sure is not too far from Saban's if its any different. Looks liek alot of players who were expected to be big players haven't stepped up and at times have quit on plays and such.
For sure, I've thought for some time now that there could be a real problem in the locker room because of the culture change. Let's face it, playing for Richt would have been like going to a country club. Richt didn't correct guys at practice and coach them up. He stood there and watched them and maybe later he'd talk to their position coach about something wrong that they did. Kirby is coaching kids up immediately, he's throwing passes in practice for kids to practice with. He's way more hands on and way more intense than Richt was. And he has no loyalty to play older guys just because they've been there longer. They have to earn playing time every week.

I could see all of that rubbing guys the wrong way that weren't recruited by Kirby.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
- The referees inside Bryant-Denny Stadium called two accepted penalties (15 yards) against Kentucky yesterday evening, but on the season, Alabama’s opponents have been flagged 16 times for 142 yards (28.4 penalty yards per game). No team in the country has watched its opponents be penalized less per game than Alabama’s 3.2 average (128 out of 128).
Fucking refs, man.

jjasper

If there is any justice in the world. This Saturday we will be down 4 with about 2 mins to go with the ball and I will get to experience Dobbs marching the ball down the field 5-10 yards at a time against John Chavis's mustang package prevent defense.

andycapps

If there is any justice in the world. This Saturday we will be down 4 with about 2 mins to go with the ball and I will get to experience Dobbs marching the ball down the field 5-10 yards at a time against John Chavis's mustang package prevent defense.
Who knows. I think Tennessee has Auburn's lucky rabbit foot that they had a few years ago.

Insane that this defense is a couple of steps ahead of last year with all of the losses. I know the competition isn't the best but tOSU wasn't completely stonewalling offenses like they have been at this point. Here's hoping Urban can hang onto Schiano for a couple more years.

I assume he will stay at least 1 more season due to Urban's request to stay for 2 seasons. If the defense continues to improve though I just don't see him staying longer than that, I also don't see Fick staying that much longer I mean someone has to offer him a HC job he would like at some point.

Karl2177

I think you're on to something here. I haven't looked at any other games get but I wouldn't be shocked if that's the one.
Coming up with next week's pick 'em games is revealing quite a few. Purdue/Illinois is the other game of 2 stinkers, plus a whole bunch of probable blowouts.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, one good thing that Tennessee holding onto being undefeated this long in the season: They are vacuuming up the 5 hour CBS games.

For that, I'm appreciative, as Alabama by now would have been on CBS 3 times.

Lonestar

@RedditCFB
Hmm... Urban Meyer hit 1 million followers yesterday and Jim Harbaugh mysteriously gained 5,000 egg followers overnight to match that...

Ct2lbmYVMAERuZg.jpg

I also bet urban has a gazillion egg followers. WHO CAN GET THE MOST EGGS?!

ryseing

I poll for /r/cfb and thought you guys might like to see my ballot. I have an odd way of looking at the sport so I figured this would be an easy way to share my observations from the week.

Notes- I still have a predilection for undefeated teams this early on. That factors less and less as the season goes on obviously. While Washington had the most impressive win of the week thus earning them the two spot, I think Louisville is a better team than Stanford, thus earning Clemson the 1 spot. I'm a bit higher on Colorado and G5 teams than most. I don't believe in the "quality loss", but Oklahoma losing to two bonafide top six teams and beating a borderline t25 team in TCU earns them their ranking IMO. The same goes for Ole Miss to an extent, though I am now of the belief that FSU will be an 8-4 team at best. Taking Bama to the late 4th and beating what I consider a top 30ish team in Memphis makes up for that though.

Lonestar

OSUn and Alabama have given up 1 rushing TD combined. One broken tackle against Mississippi away from 0 :(

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Nothing else seems to be working for Oregon might as well try an old school name

Ct2TOqSVYAIhT8T.jpg

1. Ugly
2. is their mascot gonna get replaced with a Land Before Time character or something?
3. why the fuck did they put Oregon's flag on the helmet? It's one of the US's plague of shitty, shitty, shitty blue Seal-on-a-Bedsheet monstrosities
4. ugly
5. literally no green and wrong yellow. none of these colors are oregon's colors. are these supposed to be faux-throwbacks?
6. ugly

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I poll for /r/cfb and thought you guys might like to see my ballot. I have an odd way of looking at the sport so I figured this would be an easy way to share my observations from the week.

Notes- I still have a predilection for undefeated teams this early on. That factors less and less as the season goes on obviously. While Washington had the most impressive win of the week thus earning them the two spot, I think Louisville is a better team than Stanford, thus earning Clemson the 1 spot. I'm a bit higher on Colorado and G5 teams than most. I don't believe in the "quality loss", but Oklahoma losing to two bonafide top six teams and beating a borderline t25 team in TCU earns them their ranking IMO. The same goes for Ole Miss to an extent, though I am now of the belief that FSU will be an 8-4 team at best. Taking Bama to the late 4th and beating what I consider a top 30ish team in Memphis makes up for that though.

I don't think anyone else can see that link. Or at least it tells me permission denied in Chrome and just doesn't load in Firefox.

jjasper

Well, one good thing that Tennessee holding onto being undefeated this long in the season: They are vacuuming up the 5 hour CBS games.

For that, I'm appreciative, as Alabama by now would have been on CBS 3 times.
Unfortunately for you the TSIO is gonna be the handoff we aren't going to play anyone with a pulse and are going to be regulated to the Jefferson pilot game for the rest of the year.

Edit: Speaking of this year Jalen Hurd/Hurts is going to be the death of Verne.

Top Bottom