• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Two: You get a cupcake, and you get a cupcake...

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Theres more dawg fans lurking!!!

Well don't lurk! Participate. We are too full of Bama and Gata fans.

Well, I am not American and pretty much every school I have rooted for (still does not sound right saying that) has been admonished in this thread. So I can tell you not to support the following teams:

Notre Dame, Ole Miss, The University of Miami, Georgia Tech, Michigan/Harbaugh

That would be awesome, but I think TAM will get him.

If the choice is between LSU and A&M he would have no reason to choose A&M. In LSU he can get a top 5 recruiting class every year because those Louisiana kids don't leave the state. LSU can compete for the division every year.

What has A&M done exactly since joining the SEC? How many times have they won the conference? The division? Their best teams were with Manziel and even then they couldn't win even the division. Sumlin has proven to be a decent coach but was made to look much better when Manziel was there.

But I think he goes to Auburn. Because I like chaos. I hope he doesn't go there because we'd have to face him every year, but I'm just saying that because Auburn recruits well and they will pay whatever it takes to get what they think is the best option at the time. That doesn't mean they'll get him, but they'll try.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Well, I am not American and pretty much every school I have rooted for (still does not sound right saying that) has been admonished in this thread. So I can tell you not to support the following teams:

Notre Dame, Ole Miss, The University of Miami, Georgia Tech, Michigan/Harbaugh
To be fair, Andy and his fellow Georgia fans are the only ones who give Georgia Tech fans shit. Nobody else cares.

The other schools, though, you are correct. You should feel bad for pulling for them. Especially Notre Dame. I can't even fathom why you'd pull for them, given your criteria for picking schools to pull for.

Just curious what is biggest group of non-UGA fans you see in Athens? In Knoxville it is by far Bama and UK fans, with a few UF fans. Of course you only see the UK fans come basketball time. When I lived in Johnson City (100 miles east) it was UF and VT fans. VT fans because near Virginia border, and UF fans since Steve Spurrier is from Johnson City.

If the choice is between LSU and A&M he would have no reason to choose A&M. In LSU he can get a top 5 recruiting class every year because those Louisiana kids don't leave the state. LSU can compete for the division every year.

What has A&M done exactly since joining the SEC? How many times have they won the conference? The division? Their best teams were with Manziel and even then they couldn't win even the division. Sumlin has proven to be a decent coach but was made to look much better when Manziel was there.

But I think he goes to Auburn. Because I like chaos. I hope he doesn't go there because we'd have to face him every year, but I'm just saying that because Auburn recruits well and they will pay whatever it takes to get what they think is the best option at the time. That doesn't mean they'll get him, but they'll try.

I dunno if Auburn is that much better of a choice than A&M at this point.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I find myself falling back into the A&M hype train. Luckily, I can boost my pre-season predictions and still say the Aggies will go 6-6.

Gig'em!

All you have to do is remember we tried to give UCLA a win and failed. That should sober you up. Oh, and the thought that Trevor Knight is our #1 QB....shudder.

The good news is that Texas won so Charlie will still be driving the dumpster fire truck for a little while. I really hope Texas goes 8 and 4 so they will give that moron an extension and have a merry Fran era! Meanwhile we fire Sumlin and give Herman all the monies he wants.

Dreams.

Herman wants to coach in Texas. TU is where he really wants to be but he likes A&M as well. The only way he goes to LSU is if TU and A&M are not available, but, honestly, he will just stay at Houston. If the Big 12 picks up Couger High he has no reason to leave and every reason to stay. The big 12 is a cake walk conference. Houston is just going to become Red Baylor (minus the religion!), and can beat up on Purple Baylor, Baylol and Texas every year.

Yeah i watched the ND-UT game. I actually like Baylor cause RG3 got me interested in college football.
If you have ever been to Waco, or met Baylol "Fans", then you would know "You never go full Baylol". Gross.

Greenymac

Just curious what is biggest group of non-UGA fans you see in Athens? In Knoxville it is by far Bama and UK fans, with a few UF fans. Of course you only see the UK fans come basketball time. When I lived in Johnson City (100 miles east) it was UF and VT fans. VT fans because near Virginia border, and UF fans since Steve Spurrier is from Johnson City.

I dont live around Athens, Im from South Ga and here its a mix. Mostly if not UGA, FSU or UF fans. But theres a ton of Bama and Auburn fans too.

Im actually closer to FSU and UF where Im located. 90 mins from Tallahassee and about the same from Gainesville. Im 3.5 hrs from Athens though.

andycapps

I don't live there anymore, but it's definitely Auburn fans. Tech fans don't exist there. I think there would be more Tennessee fans as you get a little further north closer to the border. And same with Florida as you get around the Valdosta area.

I dunno if Auburn is that much better of a choice than A&M at this point.

At least Auburn has won a MNC and the conference within the last decade. Auburn has a ton of talent to work with, and Herman has worked with much less at Houston. He would be terrifying for the SEC West no matter where he goes. Or the East, but I don't think there will be any openings he'd be interested in. Kentucky doesn't have much/any pull.

Greenymac

Another Georgia fan? Cyan, move us to Community before more find us!

Is that so? Subscribed!

And to Andy Capps Im in Valdosta. UF and FSU outside of UGA fans around here. Been that way since I was in college and pretty consistent. Makes sense with V-Town being closer to the Florida schools

To be fair, Andy and his fellow Georgia fans are the only ones who give Georgia Tech fans shit. Nobody else cares.

Georgia didn't give a shit about GT either until they decided they were all big and bad and decided to destroy our stadium.

mre

Is that so? Subscribed!

And to Andy Capps Im in Valdosta. UF and FSU outside of UGA fans around here. Been that way since I was in college and pretty consistent. Makes sense with V-Town being closer to the Florida schools

I was going to guess Valdosta/Tifton

mre

Georgia didn't give a shit about GT either until they decided they were all big and bad and decided to destroy our stadium.
Yeah, nobody cares about in-state rivals, especially ones that used to be in the same conference.

Yeah, nobody cares about in-state rivals, especially ones that used to be in the same conference.

They win so rarely it's easy to forget about them.

dark_cool_face_wallpaper_by_cd_imei-d4bp8r6.png

andycapps

I don't give GT a lot of crap anymore. I leave that up to everyone else. It's low hanging fruit for me. They beat us rarely enough that it's not a very fun rivalry anymore. Doesn't matter much when we win, but when we lose they never let us hear the end of it.

I don't give GT a lot of crap anymore. I leave that up to everyone else. It's low hanging fruit for me. They beat us rarely enough that it's not a very fun rivalry anymore. Doesn't matter much when we win, but when we lose they never let us hear the end of it.

All of this. Little brother.

Krejlooc

Banned
Then there is the hate list. Teams you can't stand, teams you love to hate. The Ole Misses, Texases, Iowas and Miami of the world. You always root for them to lose unless it's in your team's best interest.

What is interesting here is the overlap between "hate" and "impossible to beat."

The rooting doesn't seem correct in here.

You definitely root for alma mater, hometown / home state team.

I would also argue that it is responsibility to root for your conference while in non-conference play. You also root for or against other teams based on the best interest of your team

This frequently can cause a large disconnect between brain and heart. Like if you're a Michigan fan and rooting for Ohio State in non-conference play, or rooting for Ohio State to stay unbeaten so you can be the one to knock them off and leapfrog back in.

So team first, conference/team's best interest in other games second (possibly hate/rival exception here... but really that's more of a divided house thing).

Then you can have teams you have some level of respect for and root for in other conferences when not against your own best interests. Georgia would be a team like that for me in the SEC. Virginia Tech another team. Washington State + Mike Leach.

Then there is the hate list. Teams you can't stand, teams you love to hate. The Ole Misses, Texases, Iowas and Miami of the world. You always root for them to lose unless it's in your team's best interest.

Then and only then, do you go full chaos mode and always root for the upset / underdog.

I root for my one and only team and then root for everyone else to lose. I WANT EVERYONE ELSE TO FAIL.

tebunker

Banned

Roll Tide! WOOOOO!

Still get bugged when people find out I like Alabama and think I even care about Georgia Western Ag schools. Our rival is UT. It always has been and always will be. LSU has crept up in the last 15 years but before then it wasn't so much a rivalry.

It isn't a rivalry when one school refuses to play for decades because "them cheatin bammers will only play us in Legion field Pawl!" Or whatever other made up excuses some schools make.

The Iron Bowl used to not be that big of a deal. It used to be a late Saturday night game on ESPN or the deuce. Not because the teams weren't good, but because in the grand scheme of things it means very little. In general when one school is consistently chasing the other for relevance its not a rivalry or all that interesting.

Sorry got off on a tangent and kind of made it seem like I care about fAU. I don't. I have a much darker place in my sports heart for Peyton Manning and Fat Phil.

Witnessing Pey Pey lead Rocky Barf in legion field after a comeback as a young impressionable college student tends to scar you and stick with you.

mre

Roll Tide! WOOOOO!

Still get bugged when people find out I like Alabama and think I even care about Georgia Western Ag schools. Our rival is UT. It always has been and always will be. LSU has crept up in the last 15 years but before then it wasn't so much a rivalry.

It isn't a rivalry when one school refuses to play for decades because "them cheatin bammers will only play us in Legion field Pawl!" Or whatever other made up excuses some schools make.

The Iron Bowl used to not be that big of a deal. It used to be a late Saturday night game on ESPN or the deuce. Not because the teams weren't good, but because in the grand scheme of things it means very little. In general when one school is consistently chasing the other for relevance its not a rivalry or all that interesting.

Sorry got off on a tangent and kind of made it seem like I care about fAU. I don't. I have a much darker place in my sports heart for Peyton Manning and Fat Phil.

Witnessing Pey Pey lead Rocky Barf in legion field after a comeback as a young impressionable college student tends to scar you and stick with you.
I hate Tennessee way more than I hate Auburn, but let's not pretend that Auburn isn't a rival.

It says on their website that it was a thing the guy and his buddies came up with so they started with the best team they had been alive to see at that point.
Yeah, I read that on the description page. I also read a little further to where they said that due to feedback, they went back and researched the lineage starting with either of the two logical starting points (first collegiate football game and first consensus National Champion) and found that all three lines (1st game, 1st NatChamp, random point in the 70's when there was a really good team) converged at the 1971 Orange Bowl.

My question is, if you're going to go to the trouble of making a website, loading up the database with so many game results, and keeping it updated, why would you undercut all that work by leading your description with such an arbitrary starting point for the lineage?

Ole Miss, Texas, Miami, I can see? Iowa? We don't beat anyone with enough regularity to be anyone's love to hate team.

My head ultimately rules though. What's best for the B1G is best for Nebraska.
OIC now. Meh, it's a manufactured rivalry, you guys have bigger fish to consistently lose to. Don't judge us on Counciltucky or the Cyclowns.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Fun fact - The Texas Tech versus Arizona State series is tied 1-1, even though both schools were in the same conference for over 20 years, and neither of those 2 games were conference games (OOC in 1999 and bowl in 2013). Tech only averaged a little over 3 conference games per season the years they were in the Border Conference for some reason.

We did play Arizona pretty much every season in that conference, though. About 18 games with them while in conference, and another 14 OOC.

jjasper

I am pretty sure we are the first team in history to fall almost 10 spots after winning an opening game against a team that won 11 games the year before and is pick to win their conference and 9-10 games again this year (yes I understand there are lots of reason why they fell that far in the polls, also I don't really give a shit what they are ranked)

andycapps

Congrats, you've mentioned 2 of the 3 average size cities in South Georgia! Only one left is Albany.
Are we considering Macon middle Georgia? Because to me, that's South Georgia. My brother lives in Albany. Way too hot there and it's below the gnat line so that sucks.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Are we considering Macon middle Georgia? Because to me, that's South Georgia. My brother lives in Albany. Way too hot there and it's below the gnat line so that sucks.

Columbus, Macon, Savannah - Middle Georgia. They're on the Fault Line, well, except Savannah, but that Cities just an extension of South Carolina.

cashman

Banned
The good news is that Texas won so Charlie will still be driving the dumpster fire truck for a little while. I really hope Texas goes 8 and 4 so they will give that moron an extension and have a merry Fran era! Meanwhile we fire Sumlin and give Herman all the monies he wants.

I don't think this will quite work out for you

Reminds me of UF/UGA in the 90s. 1997 I got a LOT of phone calls from family in Georgia. People say it's more of a fun rivalry now, but to hell with that noise. And to hell with Georgia.

andycapps

....another one checking in right here.....
This is glorious. I'm not all alone anymore. Before it was just me and then during the season we had Ghanyun and maybe Enron. Putting up the bat signal for them.

True on Macon and Columbus. Savannah is a really cool town though. Augusta is literally part of South Carolina. At least North Augusta.

Here's what Cyan relayed to me, in short, about OT v. community after discussing it with the powers that be. We're in OT for the first quarter or so of the season. So week 4ish. After that we move to community to die off for the year.

Still, baby steps and all. So let's give Cyan a high five for lobbying for us to be in OT for a month!
Um guys...

WQUqkTE.png

jfkgoblue

I am pretty sure we are the first team in history to fall almost 10 spots after winning an opening game against a team that won 11 games the year before and is pick to win their conference and 9-10 games again this year (yes I understand there are lots of reason why they fell that far in the polls, also I don't really give a shit what they are ranked)
App State is good for a Sun Belt team, also Arkansas state was the preseason favorite to win the Sun Belt until they got blown out at home by Toledo. The Sun Belt is bad, by far the worst FBS conference, so no App State is not good

Shit, my mom guilt tripped me into coming home to Bristol to experience the "spectacle." Really have no desire on Saturday other than to stay home alone in my parents den with my ps4 and some beers.

Good news is my birthday is next week so maybe I'll get some early gifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom