• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Messi

I finished Snotgirl vol 1.

this_is_bullshit_the_wire.gif

I am confused, angry, upset among other things. It feels like O Malley is writing cheques he can't cash. The break feels like it happened mid arc and I have no idea what is even real in the story. There are multiple characters I am convinced aren't really there.

I got to the end like

7BM8mYB.gif

Leslie Hung is fantastic and her sketches for the scrapped Halloween issue twist the knife on it being scrapped.

Well, it was O'Malley's first ongoing. Everything he's done before was essentially a complete volume before it released. Maybe he just works better that way.

DirtyLarry

Was able to snag The Ashcan of Redneck from my local comic book store. Really digging the potential there even if it is "another" vampire movie. Figure you have to have faith that if anyone can take a trope that has been done to death and put a spin on it, it is Skybound.

Also really dug Grass Kings. Royal City. Savage Things. Extremity. Blood Blister. Underwinter. Just felt like this past month or so was particularly good for new titles.

I finished Snotgirl vol 1.

this_is_bullshit_the_wire.gif

I am confused, angry, upset among other things. It feels like O Malley is writing cheques he can't cash. The break feels like it happened mid arc and I have no idea what is even real in the story. There are multiple characters I am convinced aren't really there.

I got to the end like

7BM8mYB.gif

Leslie Hung is fantastic and her sketches for the scrapped Halloween issue twist the knife on it being scrapped.
It's an ongoing story arc. The ride isn't over.

Sandfox

Again, it's very suspicious how much Nick Spencer is into
nazis being better at everything than everyone else.

There aren't really any characters that fall under that description in this story. If anything
the characters known to be opposed to Nazis are the ones showing superiority.

caliph95

Again, it's very suspicious how much Nick Spencer is into
nazis being better at everything than everyone else.
Doesn't seem like
since the no one likes them and even Hydra, at least one of the important factions doesn't like the Nazis and HydraCap hates Red Skull and doesn't care about race

Sandfox

Doesn't seem like
since the no one likes them and even Hydra, at least one of the important factions doesn't like the Nazis and HydraCap hates Red Skull and doesn't care about race
I think he just wanted to accuse Spencer of being a nazi supporter.
I would be surprised if there would not be a twist in the end regarding that first paragraph.
Going by the comments I'm not sure how accurate that paragraph is. I would expect a twist either way though.

I think he just wanted to accuse Spencer of being a nazi supporter.

Going by the comments I'm not sure how accurate that paragraph is. I would expect a twist either way though.

I could have sworn that the whole
'Allies using a Cosmic Cube to win WW2' has been used before though. Was it in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes? Because I could have sworn I've seen this plot before, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that them using the Cube was true, but Steve being Hydra was not. Because Zemo clearly doesn't buy what's going on, and neither does Selvig. It's why Zemo is forming the Masters of Evil: his agenda is completely different. Cap still hates Red Skull (interesting that Kobik would leave that in even though she did it at the behest of Skull) as well, so that's certainly something. On top of that, you also have Skull, who thinks Rogers is working for him, yet he still has his own plans. Then you have the whole bit with Madame Hydra (Elisa) reforming the heads of Hydra.

Hydra is so fractured at this point that I think it's obvious that it is going to be its own undoing.

Cap isn't going to be Hydra by the end of all this, though I do want him to be going back to Old Man Rogers.

caliph95

'Allies using a Cosmic Cube to win WW2' has been used before though. Was it in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes? Because I could have sworn I've seen this plot before, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that them using the Cube was true, but Steve being Hydra was not. Because Zemo clearly doesn't buy what's going on, and neither does Selvig. It's why Zemo is forming the Masters of Evil: his agenda is completely different. Cap still hates Red Skull (interesting that Kobik would leave that in even though she did it at the behest of Skull) as well, so that's certainly something. On top of that, you also have Skull, who thinks Rogers is working for him, yet he still has his own plans. Then you have the whole bit with Madame Hydra (Elisa) reforming the heads of Hydra.

Hydra is so fractured at this point that I think it's obvious that it is going to be its own undoing.

Cap isn't going to be Hydra by the end of all this, though I do want him to be going back to Old Man Rogers.
Yeah it was in
EMH but i think cap used to save bucky but he ended being the winter soldier.

It seems Hydra always had different factions because Skull and his cronies were full blown Nazis but in secret wars i don't remember any of them acting like Nazis but just some super villain Organisation.

Kobik seems to only turn cap into a hydra agent but didn't bother to actual make him loyal so you still get cap but Cap for the other side.

Sandfox

There's a lot of stuff going on with this event. You didn't even touch on what's currently going on in Deadpool and Thunderbolts.

Yeah it was in

It seems Hydra always had different factions because Skull and his cronies were full blown Nazis but in secret wars i don't remember any of them acting like Nazis but just some super villain Organisation.

Kobik seems to only turn cap into a hydra agent but didn't bother to actual make him loyal so you still get cap but Cap for the other side.

Hydra is based on Spectre from James Bond, who aren't aligned with any nation or political ideology. Hydra predates the Nazis and in the current ongoing Madam Hydra was shown to be opposed to the group supporting Hitler and the Nazis as well as a hatred for the Red Skull. She's trying to restore Hydra to it's original state, which is why her followers wear the classic uniform, while the Skull's faction has costumes based on the movie look, as well as her recent recruiting spree. Red Skull being a leader of Hydra is a recent thing.

Yeah it was in

Yeah that's what it was.
There's a lot of stuff going on with this event. You didn't even touch on what's currently going on in Deadpool and Thunderbolts.

Hydra is based on Spectre from James Bond, who aren't aligned with any nation or political ideology. Hydra predates the Nazis and in the current ongoing Madam Hydra was shown to be opposed to the group supporting Hitler and the Nazis as well as a hatred for the Red Skull. She's trying to restore Hydra to it's original state, which is why her followers wear the classic uniform, while the Skull's faction has costumes based on the movie look, as well as her recent recruiting spree. Red Skull being a leader of Hydra is a recent thing.
That's because I'm not reading those.

But let's mention for a bit Madame Hydra:
her endgame is very clearly different from Zemo, Cap, and Skull. Skull sees Hydra as another extension of the Nazis and that's it. He's never really been Hydra until recently, like you said. Zemo just wants the Masters of Evil because that's how you get to be the biggest dick G on the block: controlling a massive army of supervillains and beating everyone else. Really, he and Skull don't give a fuck about Hydra, they just see it as a branded platform for their own factions. Cap and Madame actually want it for what it is: Hydra. But they clearly aren't on the same page. We know Cap wants it to be a superior unification and world peacekeeping force. People will be happy through assertion and acceptance of superior control. Through Cap's eyes, Hydra is benevolent. Madame Hydra is Elisa, who we see has some sort of cosmic inheritance. She's old, and I don't mean age, I mean some eldritch bullshit. I mean, look at her assembled group: sure Viper and Kraken (assumedly) are human, but Gorgon, Zola, and Hive are all preternatural in their nature and abilities. Elisa also has powers which she claims came from the Demiurge (Many-Angled Ones, Cthonn, Shuma Gorath, Cancerverse motherfuckers). I assume she's using Hydra as prep for something cosmic, and the Chitauri wave is part of that endgame. She also wants it to happen, and I assume it's why she hasn't stopped Steve. I also assume Steve won't work with her because of her cosmic nature. He doesn't like that and views it as far too frightening and threatening to what he wants to achieve.

From Tony Isabella(AKA Black Lightning's father):
DC Comics/Entertainment has authorized me to release this statement on the company's behalf and my own:

DC Comics/Entertainment and Black Lightning creator Tony Isabella have reached a mutually-beneficial agreement on Tony’s past and future contributions to the company. DC is pleased it will again have access to Tony's talents and insights. Tony is thrilled to be once again associated with one of the top entertainment powerhouses of our era. This is good news all around.

With my numerous March professional and personal commitments now completed, and the publication of the above statement, I can return to full-scale blogging. Thanks for your patience during my hiatus.

I’ll be back tomorrow with more stuff.
Guess he'll be more involved with the show now and maybe do a small book.

So no progress since DC announced Milestone was coming back? My guess is they're waiting to see how Wildstorm does.

Feels more like they're just waiting on an opening. Everything behind the scenes seems done and they're just waiting for something. The new printings of the Static Shock seasons seems to point to DC/WB being all ready to go.

This week's haul (now with added Poochy and Yoshi)

Sheriff of Babylon is definitely the good stuff, hard hitting, funny and tragic all at the same time. Has me really interested in what there going to do with the follow up when they get to it. Is it still going to be based in the same place with the same characters or something completely different?

I was going to comment on the other books but got distracted by the Yoshi and Poochy :) ha

Dr. Strange #1 - #3 (Aaron) was pretty cool. Nice quick introduction to the world and the threat it is facing. The art looked great and the body horror aspects really creeped me out. I did have some issues with the layout/eye flow though. It looked a little too busy at times.

Messi

Dr. Strange #1 - #3 (Aaron) was pretty cool. Nice quick introduction to the world and the threat it is facing. The art looked great and the body horror aspects really creeped me out. I did have some issues with the layout/eye flow though. It looked a little too busy at times.

Bachalo in a nutshell. Love him.

Mafro

How was Bendis's New Avengers run? Noticed the Omnibus is going for 48$ on Amazon, but not sure I should bother since there's probably never going to be a Vol. 2.

Never read the run accept for a few tie ins here and there for Civil War and other events. Heard it's great but not sure if I should pick up the Omni or not.

Is there a good guide for the Bendis Avengers run, including all the events and what not. From Breakout to Civil War, Secret Invasion, and ending right at the Heroic Age?
Really enjoyed the first arc (Breakout) but though the quality was all over the place after that. Post-Civil War I actually preferred Mighty Avengers.

Lazarus #26 is this week?!

0244ee12_larry-david-faint1qqx.gif

Sheriff of Babylon is definitely the good stuff, hard hitting, funny and tragic all at the same time. Has me really interested in what there going to do with the follow up when they get to it. Is it still going to be based in the same place with the same characters or something completely different?

I was going to comment on the other books but got distracted by the Yoshi and Poochy :) ha

I can't wait to read Sheriff Of Babylon, it's definitely going to be near the top of the pile. Also, I had no idea there was more coming. I tried to take the pic without those guys, but they muscled in, they can be like that sometimes.

Yea, I really liked how he very much aligned how Strange looks at the magical world with how a surgeon or doctor would look at a parasite, good and bad. It seems obvious but personally I haven't read a lot of Strange and it can be little things like that, that make a character make sense. Very much agree on Bachalo. Great artist, not sure if there were fill ins on the first 3 issues, but when there were, I really missed him, despite having the same issues.

I'm getting Angela or Gamora from her.

Get Angela. Gamora will be a popular choice after the movie while Angela will be unique. Which clothes would you want them in? Guessing Queen of Hel for Angela and the Original Sin combat armor for Gamora.

Edit: Speaking of Gamora, the CMX Realm Of Kings sale ends today.

Top Bottom