• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

New Swamp Thing Winter Special #1 to feature posthumous story from co-creator Len Wein

Before he died, Wein had completed the script for the first issue of a new series about the vegetation-covered monstrosity formerly known as Alec Holland, which would be illustrated by his 2016 Swamp Thing miniseries partner Kelley Jones. While we won’t ever see this series come to fruition, EW can exclusively reveal that fans will get a chance to read the first issue of the planned series in 2018 when DC Comics releases Swamp Thing Winter Special #1 (on sale Jan. 31), which will present the story in both its original script form with art by Jones.

Picking up where the 2016 miniseries left off, the story finds Swamp Thing reestablishing his dominance over the Louisiana swamps outside of Houma while his friend Matt Cable, who has woken up from his coma, becomes a private investigator. However, trouble comes to Houma when Solomon Grundy arrives in town with an infant he kidnapped from Gotham City. (We bet you can imagine who is following closely behind him.)

“[Wein’s] major plan was pretty much a straight horror title. He kept stressing that angle to me — that bringing up a lot of those DC horror characters was what would make the book more unique,” Kelley tells EW. “His main thing was to stress that Alec was turned into Swamp Thing. He really wanted to stress that again. He felt that there was a lot of story potential in that.”

Additionally, Swamp Thing Winter Special #1 will be rounded out by a brand-new one-shot story two of comics biggest creators: writer Tom King and artist Jason Fabok, who previously teamed up for the Batman-The Flash crossover “The Button.” This new story, which both of them describe as a passion project, tracks a decaying Swamp Thing as he and a lost boy struggle to survive in the frozen tundra.

“This is not a story about hope. This is a story about anxiety,” says King. “This is like when you go to the movies to see IT. You’re not going for the romance and the laughs and the friendship. You’re going to get close to the darkness so that when you come out you can smile at the light. So, that’s what I want them to get from it. I want them to be cold enough that when they put it down, their house feels warm and it feels like a relief.”

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I would love to see a big 30 issue story arc in which Batman gets lured to cross the line and kills one of his bigger villains. I want to explore what this would do to the Batfamily, to his relationship to Gordon and the Police and Gotham and its citizens. Let there be multiple sides, like people who celebrate Bats for killing one of the gruesom monsters of Arkham and people who strongy go against Batman. Let us explore what this would do to Bruce Wayne, we just explored all the time how he fights „the simple way“
Make it a big Crossover thing, which involves Superman breaking his friendship with Batman, parts of the Batfamily turning against Batman while others like Damian or Jason stay at his side.
I am fine with it beeing part of a scheme of the Joker in the end, the famous two sides of a coin thing.

Most important thing: Make it the Main Universe Batman.

geomon

I would love to see a big 30 issue story arc in which Batman gets lured to cross the line and kills one of his bigger villains. I want to explore what this would do to the Batfamily, to his relationship to Gordon and the Police and Gotham and its citizens. Let there be multiple sides, like people who celebrate Bats for killing one of the gruesom monsters of Arkham and people who strongy go against Batman. Let us explore what this would do to Bruce Wayne, we just explored all the time how he fights „the simple way“
Make it a big Crossover thing, which involves Superman breaking his friendship with Batman, parts of the Batfamily turning against Batman while others like Damian or Jason stay at his side.
I am fine with it beeing part of a scheme of the Joker in the end, the famous two sides of a coin thing.

That kind of thing almost ruined Wonder Woman though.

Silver Age Joker wasn't one of the 3 shown previously. That was the Golden Age Joker, The Killing Joke Joker, and The New 52 Joker.

Hmmm. Probably not Golden Age Joker then, , doesn't really look like the way they draw New 52 Joker either. I guess it might work for Killing Joke Joker and there is some visual similarity in the hair style.

That kind of thing almost ruined Wonder Woman though.

It probably would end Batman. Not killing is far too intrinsic to what Batman is. Also it'd almost certainly get retconned in double quick time because the pool of people who don't want to write Killer Batman for the mainline titles is probably pretty large.

Whats the Wonder Woman thing that compares to Batmans No Killing rule?

Wonder Woman killing Max Lord just before Infinite Crisis was a pretty big deal and No Killing was a principle she'd largely upheld to that point but wasn't central to her identity.

Or maybe the literal Daughter of Zeus vs Made from Clay thing ? Or the Truth / War thing ? Actually Wonder Woman has had a fair few violations of her traditional character lately.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I dont know as much about Wonder Woman as I know about Batman, but the No Killing Rule is more prominent for Batman and the Fans bring it up on a regular basis. I think it would be very interesting to see it unfold. I am just a bit sick about Batman babbeling all the time with himself about not crossing the line and that it cant be done the easy way. I would really like to see a well planed, long run with this premise. Lets it be Batmans Superior Spider-Man Run.

I dont know as much about Wonder Woman as I know about Batman, but the No Killing Rule is more prominent for Batman and the Fans bring it up on a regular basis. I think it would be very interesting to see it unfold. I am just a bit sick about Batman babbeling all the time with himself about not crossing the line and that it cant be done the easy way. I would really like to see a well planed, long run with this premise. Lets it be Batmans Superior Spider-Man Run.

And if this goes horribly wrong and tanks sales what's your out ?

(And this is a pretty major practical consideration because the Batbooks are DCs biggest sellers and also one of their major licensing lines for other media and accessories)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
And if this goes horribly wrong and tanks sales what's your out ?

(And this is a pretty major practical consideration because the Batbooks are DCs biggest sellers)

Then I dont care because I my income doesnt rely on DC (and Marvel) selling any comic at all.
Also, it wont tank, Its Batman.
And risks are sometimes needed when you do creative work.

Edit for your edit: Spider-Man killed a few years ago Massacre with a gun.
Spider-Man continued to go well with kids and Batman is even more aimed at a more mature audience.

geomon

Then I dont care because I my income doesnt rely on DC (and Marvel) selling any comic at all.
Also, it wont tank, Its Batman.
And risks are sometimes needed when you do creative work.

Batman is not above failing. I don't mind the idea of Murderer Batman but not in the mainline books, sorry.

Man I do not understand this mojoverse crap in the X-Men gold and blue books at all.

Am I just extremely out-of-touch or is this a really dumb move for both books?

Aizo

Banned
People just got used to the 2-3 month breaks for image books. Some books take longer. I'm sure that art takes ages. Plus this issue is oversized.
I just thought that at the end of the last issue it said it'd return in the Fall. Obviously plans change anyway, but I was curious if I was misremembering.

Mojo stories should be the crown jewel of any line they appear in. This is not.

Yeah I mean I'm all for Mojoverse stuff, just the timing [people sick of events] and right in the middle of two major arcs [Gold's Omega Fucking Red being back, Blue's Ms. Sinister stuff], along with the delivery [Longshot is dumb as hell here] has me like eh.

Some Nobody

....Nah. You good fam.

But a long time ago I had this idea that someone would finally get fed up with the villains of Gotham. I wrote up a whole detailed outline about it, but the gist was that there were these three cops who finally got tired of villains and the revolving door thing and finally said they were going to shut them down for good. Batman couldn't keep up with them, and one by one they took out all the major villains in Gotham--even the Joker's bitch ass.

The whole goal of it was to convince Bruce he can't save Gotham alone, and embrace the "family". James Tynion rendered that pointless, but 'Tec is so good I can't get mad at the guy.

And yeah, I had an exit strategy for bringing those villains back if necessary.

....Nah. You good fam.

But a long time ago I had this idea that someone would finally get fed up with the villains of Gotham. I wrote up a whole detailed outline about it, but the gist was that there were these three cops who finally got tired of villains and the revolving door thing and finally said they were going to shut them down for good. Batman couldn't keep up with them, and one by one they took out all the major villains in Gotham--even the Joker's bitch ass.

The whole goal of it was to convince Bruce he can't save Gotham alone, and embrace the "family". James Tynion rendered that pointless, but 'Tec is so good I can't get mad at the guy.

And yeah, I had an exit strategy for bringing those villains back if necessary.

Cops going around taking the law into their own hands?

That sounds like it would play poorly.

Some Nobody

Cops going around taking the law into their own hands?

That sounds like it would play poorly.

I'm as sensitive as can be to the plight of police brutality. I get nervous when cops drive by 'cause I'm definitely not the right skin tone for conversations with the police.

Having said that? Who the fuck feels sorry if the Joker catches two in the back of the head from a cop? Two-Face? Zsasz is literally a serial murderer and at this point the Mad Hatter is a rapist. Nobody's going to miss them.

Either way public reception was going to be torn. Plus the way I set the story up no one would know it was cops until the end.

Top Bottom