• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covers that sound better than the original songs

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxWzsrj8bZE

Real answer

Paranoid Android

Radiohead (Original)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnfXvPBV1dA

Weezer (Cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nTo8rjo-lM

God Tier

Berlin - Sex (Original)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luMoGdwixTM

Rorschach Test - Sex (Cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJmZdFjMREc

227839420.gif

People never believe me when I recommend the Shatner version too. The most unexpectedly legit great cover by Shatner that is great for reasons besides Shatner being Shatnery. I love Pulp and prefer the Shatner/Ben Folds version.

It's a really strange sensation to enjoy a song with Shatner in an unironic way. When the two singers start singing at the same time it's really good. Backup vocals too.

Vast.

Banned
'better than the original songs'
oh please, the tears for fears version sounds like a teeny bop song compared to Lorde's version. And typically I like the 80s originals, but the music and sound of the new version really is makes it a whole another song.

Anyway, another one...
Original: Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah
Cover: Rufus Wainwright - Hallelujah

Cut out Jeff Buckleys, since it was already posted. I prefer Rufus Wainwright's version anyway.

jambo

The Beatles - With A Little Help From My Friends

Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends

It's so different and I love it. Huge Beatles fan as well.

Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt.

"I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. I felt like I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore... It really made me think about how powerful music is as a medium and art form. I wrote some words and music in my bedroom as a way of staying sane, about a bleak and desperate place I was in, totally isolated and alone. Somehow that winds up reinterpreted by a music legend from a radically different era/genre and still retains sincerity and meaning - different, but every bit as pure." -Trent Reznor

I'm sorry, but no.

wfuas4p.gif

kirblar

I like the Disturbed version over the Genesis one- I think this may boil down to style preferences (I'm really not a giant '80s fan.)

HTupolev

I actually sort of disagree with this one. Jules' version sounded phenomenal when I first heard it, but it got old on my ears. I actually first heard the TFF original after the Jules version, and at first I didn't like it, but it's never stopped growing on me. A lot of TFF songs have been like that for me, really.

They're two very different pieces of music, though.

:/

Vast.

Banned
I actually sort of disagree with this one. Jules' version sounded phenomenal when I first heard it, but it got old on my ears. I actually first heard the TFF original after the Jules version, and at first I didn't like it, but it's never stopped growing on me. A lot of TFF songs have been like that for me, really.

They're two very different pieces of music, though.

:/
Funny thing is I agree with you entirely about Mad World. But for the life of me I can't like the Tears for fears music for 'Everybody wants to rule the world'. Lorde's vocals might be muted and average but the grim and somber tone of the new version is far more appealing to me.

Try making this video with the Tears for Fears Original (Game of Thrones Show Spoilers)
Is this a joke? This has to be a joke.

That was terrible. It has no emotion, nothing.
It's kinda the point bruh. Slow, somber and muted.

Captain Nemo - Dive

not bad but:

Captain Nemo - Sarah Brightman

was just amazing.

and while I have trouble saying that these are absolutely better than their originals, they are right up there with them:

Sarah Brightman - Scarborough Fair

though I suppose that pretty much any recorded version of this song is a cover.

Who Wants to Live Forever - Queen

was covered by her too:

Who Wants to Live Forever - Sarah Brightman

I mean, she makes her living off of a lot of covers each album, but damn is she good at it.

Ovid

I grew up with the Tears For Fears version and the Lorde version sounds like shit. I guess I'm an old man yelling at the clouds.

Nothing against the people that like it though.

Funny thing is I agree with you entirely about Mad World. But for the life of me I can't like the Tears for fears music for 'Everybody wants to rule the world'. Lorde's vocals might be muted and average but the grim and somber tone of the new version is far more appealing to me.

Try making this video with the Tears for Fears Original (Game of Thrones Show Spoilers)

I actually tried watching that video and I closed it about twenty seconds in because of that song. And of course the original wouldn't fit, don't be silly.

B.O.O.M

Dear lord, no.

Viva la Vida

Coldplay

Pet Shop Boys

well shit..I didn't even know it was a cover. Pet shop Boys were so awesome damn

I know this is not the best place to ask but would any of you know a song, it was all black and white and it's a kid in a vehicle staring outside as the scenery passes him by. It's all music no words. I just remember this music video from the back of mind from ages ago..just can't put a name to it. Rather than make a new thread I thought I would try my luck here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom