• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 (XB/PC, Sumo Digital) E3 Trailer out Nov 7th

Yah... I watch that video... and while a "Cloud" PC might have the necessary power to process that destruction, to me the bottleneck is the net-code to communicate that destruction to all game clients in the session. How the actual fuck will that work out...

Like any other netcode? The physics data being sent back and forth isn't the burdensome part. Doing the math to output all of that final physics data to send is the intensive part. That's kind of the whole point of a lot of these type of services, no? Offload these kinds of tasks that wouldn't normally be feasible locally due to hardware limitations. I'd guess streaming something like 4k video would be much much much more of a strain than a few numbers that need to be plugged in locally for an Xbox to finish rendering a Crackdown scene... Not even a comparison.

I do wish they gave it more stage time, but I thought the trailer looked great. Exactly what I expected a current gen Crackdown to look like. Hopefully they do show a bunch of mp throughout the week though.

E92 M3

Just going to clear up some questions, though again understand there are many, many things I can't talk about as unless it's out there in public, I will get a pretty severe telling off :)

All of the above are elements that have been confirmed though, it's worth watching Clint's interview here if you haven't seen it already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pJvD7YawwI

Is there is a full day night/cycle - Yes, the game is not set in perpetual darkness! What you saw in the E3 Stage Presentation was footage captured from the E3 show floor demo. This starts at sunset, but at it's a time limited demo of ten minutes with accelerated levelling (much like the original Crackdown demo) most of the footage got captured as it transitions to night time and you don't quite get to sunrise in 10 minutes!

Multiplayer/Destruction - Campaign was designed to be played offline in single player, but can also be played online in 4 player Co-Op. Both don't feature the large scale world destruction as we wanted to make it accessible to as many people as possible. The competitive multiplayer will feature large scale destruction, MS will show it I'm sure when they're ready, but E3 is all about the Campaign side of the game. It is also a conscious gameplay choice for Campaign, razing the city to the ground doesn't feel like the kind of thing the good guys should do.

Who is working on the game - We (Sumo) have been involved with the game from the start and we're principally handling the Campaign side of the game. It's a group effort though with Reagent and Cloudgine who are principally handling the competitive multiplayer. Some elements are shared, some are unique based on the gameplay needs.

Why didn't you show more in the E3 Presentation - We were one of the 52 games on show, plus we're on the show-floor and we've got many press presentations booked over E3. I suspect they felt we could let the game talk more by itself! Plus don't forget that Crackdown is a very freeform game, it's hard to get that across as we're very definitely trying to avoid it being a scripted experience. Any given situation can be approached in a number of ways depending on the skills you've chosen to focus on.

Does the announcer (Voice of the Agency) return - Absolutely. Some things are Crackdown DNA, this is one of then.

Length of game/number of maps - This one I have to leave out specifics till MS talk more about the game, but we're expecting it to be comparable to previous Crackdown games.

Like I say, I know there are multiple interviews happening so more should be revealed over the next few days and I'll be surprised if there isn't any show floor footage as folks get into the booth.

I also appreciate folks remembering All-Stars Transformed which was my previous major gig before this one :)

Thanks for the confirmations! Not sure if you could confirm transformable vehicles or not :p

I LOVED driving up buildings with the SUV. Tons of fun.

element

Given the switch of developer, and presumably all the creative staff, my assumption would be that the original vision for the game simply did not work at scale.
there was never a change of developer. Again, reagent and cloudgine are technology companies and very small. Sumo has been working the title for well over two years.

Z3M0G

Like any other netcode? The physics data being sent back and forth isn't the burdensome part. Doing the math to output all of that final physics data to send is the intensive part. That's kind of the whole point of a lot of these type of services, no? Offload these kinds of tasks that wouldn't normally be feasible locally due to hardware limitations. I'd guess streaming something like 4k video would be much much much more of a strain than a few numbers that need to be plugged in locally for an Xbox to finish rendering a Crackdown scene... Not even a comparison.

I do wish they gave it more stage time, but I thought the trailer looked great. Exactly what I expected a current gen Crackdown to look like. Hopefully they do show a bunch of mp throughout the week though.

When streaming video we have the luxury of buffering. It's OK if we only see a frame 30-60-more seconds after it is received.

In gameplay, we would call that lag. It's not OK if we even have 2-3 seconds between a building falling and a player jumping off of that building before it crumbles.

When I watch that video, I see one building crumble, hit another building that also crumbles, while the same thing could easily happen many times over to other buildings in the distance due to other players performing similar actions... yet somehow all that physical data must be communicated to each client and processed quickly enough to keep that gameplay sequence coherent for all players involved. I just can't wrap my head around that.

I just can't wait to see final multiplayer sessions after release. It will either be a sight to behold, or complete comedy.

I'm thinking that the game's multiplayer will require a massive minimum connection speed to even allow you to play... I wonder how that will go over with the public.

So I'll stick my head over the parapet for a minute...

First things first, E3 is not just the opening presentations.

You may or may not know but we're fully playable on the E3 show floor, plus we've got folk on the ground doing press presentations and more. We're certainly not hiding the game away! In fact we're eager to see peoples hands on comments.

It's hard to show everything you're doing in a short video, especially when it's in a presentation with another 51 games :)

It was our goal to do a proper Crackdown Campaign game and whilst we might not be dropping buildings, there is a hell of a lot of destruction in the game. I'm sure soon enough you'll see some of the new toys we've made let loose on the world, not least what happens when you destroy a street full of traffic.

If you can hold judgement till you get a better look at some actual gameplay, you might just be pleasantly surprised.

We've got an amazing team on the game - it's a real labour of love.

Right back to work, these games don't make themselves :)

I'll withold judgment but I have to tell you that trailer was terrible. Whoever is doing the marketing is not doing you guys any favors.

Just going to clear up some questions, though again understand there are many, many things I can't talk about as unless it's out there in public, I will get a pretty severe telling off :)

All of the above are elements that have been confirmed though, it's worth watching Clint's interview here if you haven't seen it already:

Is there is a full day night/cycle - Yes, the game is not set in perpetual darkness! What you saw in the E3 Stage Presentation was footage captured from the E3 show floor demo. This starts at sunset, but at it's a time limited demo of ten minutes with accelerated levelling (much like the original Crackdown demo) most of the footage got captured as it transitions to night time and you don't quite get to sunrise in 10 minutes!

Multiplayer/Destruction - Campaign was designed to be played offline in single player, but can also be played online in 4 player Co-Op. Both don't feature the large scale world destruction as we wanted to make it accessible to as many people as possible. The competitive multiplayer will feature large scale destruction, MS will show it I'm sure when they're ready, but E3 is all about the Campaign side of the game. It is also a conscious gameplay choice for Campaign, razing the city to the ground doesn't feel like the kind of thing the good guys should do.

Who is working on the game - We (Sumo) have been involved with the game from the start and we're principally handling the Campaign side of the game. It's a group effort though with Reagent and Cloudgine who are principally handling the competitive multiplayer. Some elements are shared, some are unique based on the gameplay needs.

Why didn't you show more in the E3 Presentation - We were one of the 52 games on show, plus we're on the show-floor and we've got many press presentations booked over E3. I suspect they felt we could let the game talk more by itself! Plus don't forget that Crackdown is a very freeform game, it's hard to get that across as we're very definitely trying to avoid it being a scripted experience. Any given situation can be approached in a number of ways depending on the skills you've chosen to focus on.

Does the announcer (Voice of the Agency) return - Absolutely. Some things are Crackdown DNA, this is one of then.

Length of game/number of maps - This one I have to leave out specifics till MS talk more about the game, but we're expecting it to be comparable to previous Crackdown games.

Like I say, I know there are multiple interviews happening so more should be revealed over the next few days and I'll be surprised if there isn't any show floor footage as folks get into the booth.

I also appreciate folks remembering All-Stars Transformed which was my previous major gig before this one :)
Sounds good to me. Even though there wasn't some big destruction moment, I still thought it looked fun and as long as it's fun with my friends, I don't care. I do have one question though:

Is Terry Crews in the game?

When streaming video we have the luxury of buffering. It's OK if we only see a frame 30-60-more seconds after it is received.

In gameplay, we would call that lag. It's not OK if we even have 2-3 seconds between a building falling and a player jumping off of that building before it crumbles.

When I watch that video, I see one building crumble, hit another building that also crumbles, while the same thing could easily happen many times over to other buildings in the distance due to other players performing similar actions... yet somehow all that physical data must be communicated to each client and processed quickly enough to keep that gameplay sequence coherent for all players involved. I just can't wrap my head around that.

I just can't wait to see final multiplayer sessions after release. It will either be a sight to behold, or complete comedy.

I'm thinking that the game's multiplayer will require a massive minimum connection speed to even allow you to play... I wonder how that will go over with the public.

Still saying the video would be much more intensive to stream. They probably have ways to compensate for any lag or dropped packets also, like plugging in semi-accurate numbers locally based on the data that was received properly etc. Players seeing destruction that is 90% (that's the fake percentage I'm going with) accurate wouldn't know the difference anyway unless all players are in the same exact room with multiple sets in their view... Either way, might as well just wait for MS to show off the multiplayer. Pointless arguing until then.

Murder

What?

You either have the large scale destruction in online co-op or you don't. Are you telling us there is only the destruction in online "competitive" multiplayer? What the hell?

EvB

Thanks for the confirmations! Not sure if you could confirm transformable vehicles or not :p

I LOVED driving up buildings with the SUV. Tons of fun.

It's already confirmed

https://www.crackdown.com/gameinfo/
Enter Crackdown 3's sandbox of mayhem and destruction and become a Super-Powered Agent dedicated to Justice by any means necessary. Explore the heights of a dangerous futuristic city, cut through gang-infested streets in a transforming vehicle, and wield amazing abilities to dismantle a ruthless criminal empire. Developed by original creator Dave Jones, Crackdown 3 will deliver cooperative chaos and an all-new multiplayer mode where destruction is your ultimate weapon against friends and rivals online. Whether you're playing the all-new Campaign or enjoying a truly revolutionary competitive experience, you'll never look at open-world gaming the same way again.

You either have the large scale destruction in online co-op or you don't. Are you telling us there is only the destruction in online "competitive" multiplayer? What the hell?
They've said exactly that from the beginning, but it really didn't sink in to much of the wider audience, that's for sure.

Probably because its on its face counter-intuitive after Crackdown 1 and 2.

The two best things I've heard about this game so far: A return of the transforming Agency cars and a building twice the height of the original Agency building. That almost makes my palms sweat to read.

I wonder if gliding or flying is in this. Wingsuit gliding took some time to get used to, but when you did it was awesome.

Visually I'm still disappointed. It looks like Crackdown, definitely, but not a next gen one when it comes to animations, driving and a lot of the small things that could have been improved without breaking things.

LostDonkey

Don't the agents wear super body suits.

It's like a suit of armour if I recall. I can't imagine that would be too supple.

What?

They have been saying this from the start. Nobody just wanted to listen so they could turn around and complain now.

Seriously, how is it feasible to have that kind of destruction in single player or co-op?

"Uh, hey guys. So, uuummm, the building the Quest Log is pointing us at... The building, the whole neighborhood, has been completely leveled already. Please stop doing that or something so we can proceed."

Seriously, how is it feasible to have that kind of destruction in single player or co-op?
Without keeping it persistent except for boss HQs and story specific destruction. That's the how.

But I'm fine with having a Crackdown I can play offline if I want, without depending upon having a consistently great connection to the game's servers to enjoy it.

Really appreciate you posting this, it's definitely helped calm some of the initial fears. Hopefully we'll see some meaty gameplay demos over the next few days.

Sounds good to me. Even though there wasn't some big destruction moment, I still thought it looked fun and as long as it's fun with my friends, I don't care. I do have one question though:

Is Terry Crews in the game?

He is, but they haven't said if he's playable yet. I'm thinking he'll be presented as an NPC captain at first, that can be unlocked for us to use once we achieve something.

shandy706

Sounds awesome, wish it was coming sooner :(.

Polish it up, haha.

If any developers of the game are reading this thread, I'd take the time to ask some questions, because I don't think some of the posts in this thread are helpful.

1) Marketing - Good job, whoever decided bring Terry Crews on board. That guy.. he has a lot of good will. There aren't many celebrities that make me actively want to listen or consume a product they are pushing, but Terry is one of those dudes.
From a public stand point, and marketing to people who don't play a lot of video games or know crackdown, it's a really good marketing idea.
Is there other celebrities involved in the project we don't know about?

2) I cannot say to be sure, but the acceleration of the characters control still seem very stiff. Crackdown 1 was difficult for me to control, because the game had a really stiff and short acceleration, between the walking and running cycle. Is there any work being further done to smoothen out how people go from walking to running to sprinting?

I know Just Cause also had a similar problem, where the reticle is super sensitive while moving and that makes it difficult to aim compared to some other games.

3) Does playing the single player / co-op campaign unlock any features in competitive multiplayer or vice versa?

4) What are the limits of character customization, and is it possible to bring a single player character and/or its data/stats into competitive multiplayer?

5) Being Agents and enforcers, is there any movies, comic or books you were inspired by when you crafted the story? What is the tone of voice behind the feel of the story you're going for? Is it Saints Row off-the-wall-balls? or is something with more rooted in seriousness?

Trup1aya

2-3 seconds of lag is detrimental in any game- it isn't any more so for Crackdown. Just like in any game with server-based physics (halo for example) The servers perception of the scene is the 'correct' one. the players with solid connections will have a more immediate image of what the server sees. Players with bad connections will have a delayed or choppy image. The end result will be the same.

a player with a shitty connection might see physical particles stuttering on their way to the ground, but he'd still be getting rendering the exact same scene as a player with a good connection. The only difference between this and halo is that there would be more particle stuttering as they fall.

If a player lags for 2-3 seconds, and doesn't realize that the building started falling, when he recovers, The scene would rubber band to what the server knows to have occurred. Everyone else with a good connection would have seen what really happened.

iMax

It's just physics data. The bottleneck is the calculation of it, not the transmission.

You fire a rocket, seconds before the rocket actually hits the building the cloud already knows when the rocket will hit (because it has all the physics for the rocket also were you were aiming when you shoot), by the time the destruction is need you will have plenty of buffered data to play the destruction.

What?

That was always the case.

For balancing issues, imagine blowing up the last boss out of its building.

SPDIF

Z1dsTuc.png

Hopefully we get a lot more gameplay footage later today.

What?

I don't get this either. No one thinks of pvp when they think of crackdown. 2 had some pvp that everyone agrees was hot garbage.

Thanks for this. Super hyped, Can't wait to play the game at launch.

Re watching the trailer I actually don't think it was that bad. Could have done with more variety though, like showing the transforming vehicles, orb hunting, and maybe pulling back more to show the scale of the city.

The worst part was just throwing the trailer in between some indie stuff and then moving on. And not showing the multiplayer :(

LOLCats

Banned
not happy with the art style at all. Oh well. Everything cant be to my taste. But this is no way a day 1 anymore, In fact its like a 20$ game for me now.

Sinfamy

I'll believe it when I see it.
Last time someone said that part of the games processe's are offloaded to the cloud (SimCity 2013) it was all a lie.

Other then that, I just don't understand how a game with so many years in development looks worse visually and plays more stuff then Infamous 2 from 2011 on PS3. The car windows don't even have reflections. The cell shaded effects also makes it feel very dated and ugly, with overbearing and grotesque faces.

Phloxy

Sony's presser will be filled to the brim with AAA. Nintendo's presser will have Mario 3D. This E3 will be fine, just not for Xbox gamers.

Don't speak for Xbox gamers as a whole, a few of my friends were over yesterday. They, my wife and I are all pretty excited for the Xbox X and the stuff they have coming out like Forza and Crackdown especially.

That plus all of our Xbox stuff getting a nice boost and more BC is really cool and I'm excited to hop in and get my hands on it.

Don't speak for Xbox gamers as a whole, a few of my friends were over yesterday. They, my wife and I are all pretty excited for the Xbox X and the stuff they have coming out like Forza and Crackdown especially.

That plus all of our Xbox stuff getting a nice boost and more BC is really cool and I'm excited to hop in and get my hands on it.

I'm excited for you. There's truly a niche in which the Xbox One X makes sense, but if I had to put my finger on the pulse of the Xbox community right now, I don't think I'd feel one. Sorry :(

Phloxy

I'm excited for you. There's truly a niche in which the Xbox One X makes sense, but if I had to put my finger on the pulse of the Xbox community right now, I don't think I'd feel one. Sorry :(

.... Lol gaf wil stay gaf I guess. Always the extreme minority and usually wrong in so many ways.

KodiakGT

.... Lol gaf wil stay gaf I guess. Always the extreme minority and usually wrong in so many ways.

Don't you know that almost everyone has a gaming PC? Who would want the best looking multiplats or the 22 games they showed yesterday that will be exclusive to or timed exclusive on Xbox? Obviously you must be niche.

Phloxy

Lol Yeah I know. Guess I should just build one of these 500 dollar super computers that will match the Xbox X in specs and toss out my TRASH BOX! Anyways, that whole mindset is silly, I'm very excited for some Crackdown. Lot's of cool indie stuff hitting this fall as well.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I am really disappointed that this was not the showcase for the XOX. I was banking money that they would feature the game and it's supposed destruction heavily.

Really fucking bummed.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I am really disappointed that this was not the showcase for the XOX. I was banking money that they would feature the game and it's supposed destruction heavily.

Really fucking bummed.

multiplayer mode, duder. destruction is in multiplayer. expect it to be shown off around gamescom.

Top Bottom