• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 (XB/PC, Sumo Digital) E3 Trailer out Nov 7th

Azerth

The games single player is basically a simple premise of gangs. It was like an expansion of GTA2.

You wipe out gangs and eventually there's the gang bosses and a final boss. You can, for example, fight the top dude the second you find him.

Thing is... in a destructible environment you'd be able to take him down right away without needing to level your stuff because you could just take down the building he's in.

That's why there's this separation. The single player would be broken with destruction.

MP mode is 10 players

plus your playing a char who is trying to save the city not destroy it

I don't get it though. If the campaign DID have destruction why would that make it unplayable?

By the way, do we know how many players it is online with destruction?

For one, the campaign would be online only, and the game was announced in 2014, when people was still soared on xbone being online only. That alone should be a reason for no destruction in campaign as no way they would make 2 different campaigns.

Then, there's the balancing issue, how to make the campaign challenging when you can just blow up a tower and killing the bad guy instead of dealing with him (and a huge part of crackdown 1 was climbing these towers to face the enemies which were already a challenge in itself with the gazilion of enemies attacking you.

Bulby

The games single player is basically a simple premise of gangs. It was like an expansion of GTA2.

You wipe out gangs and eventually there's the gang bosses and a final boss. You can, for example, fight the top dude the second you find him.

Thing is... in a destructible environment you'd be able to take him down right away without needing to level your stuff because you could just take down the building he's in.

That's why there's this separation. The single player would be broken with destruction.

MP mode is 10 players

I dont buy this, theres ways to bullshit your way around it. Limit weapons, shields around buildings, specially re enforced buildings that you cant knock down.

I think the only reason you cant destroy everything is cause they cant do it on an Xbox One. PR about being the good guys be damned

Coda

Single Player looked a little bland from a gameplay perspective, like it didn't look much different from Crackdown 1 and 2. I bet it will still be fun and the multiplayer is what could make it shine, but right now it didn't really get me excited.

MP mode is 10 players

That does make sense yeah.

But man, only 10 players? That's not a whole lot at all. You'd think with a big city it would at least be 20? But I especially want that because I have a lot of friends who would be in my team.

I don't get it though. If the campaign DID have destruction why would that make it unplayable?

By the way, do we know how many players it is online with destruction?

For one example it would bork the orb collecting. If there's a orb on top of a building that you didn't see, you've effectively made it impossible to reach if you destroyed the building. So now you'll have to reload the game to get it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
That does make sense yeah.

But man, only 10 players? That's not a whole lot at all. You'd think with a big city it would at least be 20? But I especially want that because I have a lot of friends who would be in my team.

Well the "cities" aren't going to be as large as main game. I would expect they will be small enough to walk through.

I also suspect there'd be no pedestrians or cars, either. Just a bunch of agents with guns and lots of buildings ready to fall.

We don't know the exact details, though.

Okay, that was much, much better. City looks good, visuals aren't too shabby either and I'm liking the addition of heat vents to boost your jumping.

I don't like the thrust, feels like it'll take some of the challenge out of platforming and the pacing seems off, almost as if the gameplay is running at twice the speed it should be.

Still no transforming vehicles. I don't care if they've said they are in the game. Show me.

The singularity weapon...we Red Faction now.

Theorry

WavyAdolescentAlligatorgar.gif

ShorttermPepperyChimneyswift.gif

UraMallas

God I've missed going off my nut trying to hunt down orbs, can't wait!

The sound of it. I'm jumping across buildings and then I think I hear the whirring of an orb so I pull up quick and just start swing the camera like a madman. Nothing there. I swear I heard it! 5 minutes later I find it and it breaks apart into mini-orbs that my body sucks in.

I'm ready. My body is ready.

Not every game needs to be eye-burning

We're at a point where most everything looks good, so I'm just looking for a good time with good art style.

Very true. I've got no problem playing the OG Crackdown these days, as despite it being 10 years old, climbing a tall building and looking over the city is still thrilling to me.

Chris1

Graphics still look pretty bad but yeah that does look better

Why is MS so fucking horrible at showing off their games at conferences? I don't get it

Why is MS so fucking horrible at showing off their games at conferences? I don't get it

Quantity over quality.

They think the number of games they show is important, I suspect it goes back to when they were getting blasted for not showing enough games.

MS and moderation don't mix.

Jumeira

Banned
Just watched it, still looks rough, i cant get used to the poor animations, these agents are skating around and nothing has weight to it, throw a heavy metal block and it follows a straight line (not a trajectory arc) with barely any impact, massive wide areas obviously scaled for destruction but the people that reside there look like ants, there so much space between everything, agents reach a platform edge and just float around until the game pushes them ontop, it looks and animates like a 360 game. I liked CD1 but always hoped it would grow into something great, not feeling it so far. Fingers crossed feedback is positive despite my personal disappointment.

That's what I want to know, what we've seen of Crackdown right now, was much better than what we got last night. Phil needs to crack down on the E3 production team.

MP mode is 10 players

So change the design of the game so destruction works. They were able to figure it out 10 years ago in rfg but I guess it's too hard now and everyone just accepts whatever they give us.

ResoRai

Baffles me they didn't do a least a little walk through explaining some of the mechanics and what-not at E3. SOT got 9 minutes onstage, but this is looking fun. Animations are a bit rough, but the city looks pretty wild and it looks like there's a lot of ways to mess shit up.

Those are only mid tier Agents too at best. Shit get's much crazier!
True, I can't wait to see more.

Chris1

Quantity over quality.

They think the number of games they show is important, I suspect it goes back to when they were getting blasted for not showing enough games.

MS and moderation don't mix.

That's what I want to know, what we've seen of Crackdown right now, was much better than what we got last night. Phil needs to crack down on the E3 production team.

This isn't just an E3 2017 thing though, it's been going on for years.

Go back to 2015 when Gears 4 was first shown, was dark and looked bad. Scalebound showings were bad too but the gameplay vids shown behind closed doors etc looked much better. There has been other games aswell but I'm struggling to think.

MS has had this problem for a while, even if the games are good they have a hard time showing it off at conferences.

VeeP

So change the design of the game so destruction works. They were able to figure it out 10 years ago in rfg but I guess it's too hard now and everyone just accepts whatever they give us.

With Red Faction Guerilla specifically, I think the company owns a patent on that form of destruction tech. It's why you don't see more games using it/implementing something similar.

I could be completely wrong however.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

red faction guerrilla's destruction is absolutely nowhere near the level of Crackdown 3.

Just watched it, still looks rough, i cant get used to the poor animations, these agents are skating around and nothing has weight to it, throw a heavy metal block and it follows a straight line (not a trajectory) with barely any impact, massive wide areas obviously scaled for destruction but the people that reside there look like ants, there so much space between everything, agents reach a platform edge and just float around until the game pushes them ontop, it looks and animates like a 360 game. I liked CD1 but always hoped it would grow into something great, not feeling it so far. Fingers crossed feedback is positive despite my personal disappointment.

Watched it a couple more times. There's a real lack of weight to all the movement. They also seem to have removed momentum from jumps too, maybe because of the thrust?

There are aspects to be hopeful about, but the lack of weight and odd pacing are worrying. Those are core aspects that should have been nailed down before anything else.

This isn't just an E3 2017 thing though, it's been going on for years.

Go back to 2015 when Gears 4 was first shown, was dark and looked bad. Scalebound showings were bad too but the gameplay vids shown behind closed doors etc looked much better. There has been other games aswell but I'm struggling to think.

I know that and have mentioned it in Scalebound threads before. Just referencing the most recent example.

Yeah the Studios games that aren't from the first party studios have had bafflingly poor effort into showing them off. State of Decay 2 similarly yesterday had a oddly edited, pretty messy trailer for what I assume will be a very good game.

On the other hand, for FP Rare had a lengthy, well thought out and edited demo for Sea of Thieves. As they don't have that many FP studios, they need to work on better promotion for the Studios games that fall under Shannon.

-----------

That said, luckily this footage on the live show today has my worries about the game subsided, looks fun.

Chris1

Yeah the Studios games that aren't from the first party studios have had bafflingly poor effort into showing them off. State of Decay 2 similarly yesterday had a oddly edited, pretty messy trailer for what I assume will be a very good game.

On the other hand, for FP Rare had a lengthy, well thought out and edited demo for Sea of Thieves. As they don't have that many FP studios, they need to work on better promotion for the Studios games that fall under Shannon.
It's not just third party studios, as said above, Gears 4 had this problem when it was first shown off aswell.
I know that and have mentioned it in Scalebound threads before. Just referencing the most recent example.
Scalebound was the worst for it. I agree with you though, whoever does their E3 trailers needs a kick up the ass

that looks hideous, not just graphically but the art direction is bland. Gameplay looks something taken from the PS2 era. There is no ammount of destruction that is going to revive my interest for the game.

Jumeira

Banned
Watched it a couple more times. There's a real lack of weight to all the movement. They also seem to have removed momentum from jumps too, maybe because of the thrust?

There are aspects to be hopeful about, but the lack of weight and odd pacing are worrying. Those are core aspects that should have been nailed down before anything else.

Agreed with all points. There's a sense of satisfaction you get when your character & the world sells struggle/danger through weight, movement and mobility. Drake/Link are examples of masterful movement and interaction. Even the guy in Athem showed this earlier, which is comparable to CD interms acrobatics.

see5harp

For one example it would bork the orb collecting. If there's a orb on top of a building that you didn't see, you've effectively made it impossible to reach if you destroyed the building. So now you'll have to reload the game to get it.

They could easily just implement a "rebuild" system if you go to sleep or save the game.

that looks hideous, not just graphically but the art direction is bland. Gameplay looks something taken from the PS2 era. There is no ammount of destruction that is going to revive my interest for the game.

This is how Crackdown's always been though. Janky and low budget, but incredibly fun in a fire fight. Even more fun with friends. The visuals, however...they're just downright outdated.

oldergamer

They could easily just implement a "rebuild" system if you go to sleep or save the game.
That wouldn't work. If u could level buildings in the campaign you could finish the game in a matter of a few hours. The problem u are trying to solve is an age old game design problem tht has no solution but head to head combat.

jelly

Thanks.

It's Crackdown for sure and looks quite fun but it's really close, they obviously added, tweaked things but the base is so Crackdown 1. Is that a bad thing, I dunno, Microsoft obviously pissed about with the IP and went for a rush job in the end so it's great that it looks that good but it lacks the innovation and upgrade a new game usually has. Crackdown being stiff wasn't compelling design, it's just what it was at the time. Crackdown 3 to me needed that leap to next gen with the core ideas intact not the actual core.

Zyae

I like the art style, graphics arent good but they are serviceable.colors are nice. could be dog shit or really fun

Top Bottom