• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy |OT| N.Teresting and N.Tertaining N.Fographics With-N

farisr

2 hour session trying to get a gold relic in high road.

Didn't get it. Will try tomorrow.

Literally messed up the last jump in a run that would've gotten me a platinum. It was basically my first time seeing that section since I initially beat the level in a normal playthrough.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Got this the other day, started Crash 1. Screwed up an embarrassing amount of times getting used to the character control on the first level, but Native Fortress and Road to Nowhere weren't too bad by the time I reached them. Then out of a masochistic curiosity I tried doing my first relic run on Road to Nowhere. Gave up after what must've been close to two hours, though I did get very close to the end twice. Nearly had it, but then I didn't press and hold X fast enough for the last tortoise jump, and fell into the abyss.

I wasn't that frustrated all things considered. There was a nice rhythm to landing the jumps. Only the timing and positioning of the warthogs seemed like BS. Basically had to save the Aku mask from the beginning for the third warthog, and rope jump for the second one.

theaface

I know it's already been said but for newcomers who are struggling, use the D-pad. 90%+ levels control better with it. For me, the only exceptions have been some of the 'running towards screen levels' where a bit more ducking and weaving is needed.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Damn, this game froze on me yesterday, when loading The High Road. Couldn't do anything except press the PS button, which made my PS4 freeze entirely. Had to pull the cord, and for the second time in a week I'm getting screamed at by my PS4 not to do that because it can corrupt and destroy data.

Well... I still love you, Crash!

Can someone jog my memory on how gems work on Crash 1?
There are also a load of invisible platforms littered around the place. I know some require coloured gems, but do all of them?

I've also reached the point which I got to on the original, which is the level after Road to Nowhere (which I didn't find difficult once I remembered the broken planks would snap instantly). The relic is awkward if only for trying to break the 3 crate between the two TNTs at the start so you can save your mask in case you mess up the 3rd boar.

*Splinter

Can someone jog my memory on how gems work on Crash 1?
There are also a load of invisible platforms littered around the place. I know some require coloured gems, but do all of them?

I've also reached the point which I got to on the original, which is the level after Road to Nowhere (which I didn't find difficult once I remembered the broken planks would snap instantly). The relic is awkward if only for trying to break the 3 crate between the two TNTs at the start so you can save your mask in case you mess up the 3rd boar.
Slightly different to the original but:

Clear gems - collect all boxes (including any in bonus stages)
Coloured gems - collect all boxes without dying. You are allowed to die before the first checkpoint or in bonus stages.
Keys -
complete Cortex bonus stages on Sunset Vista and... Jaws of Darkness?
These unlock
Whole Hog and Fumbling in the Dark
Invisible platforms - sometimes coloured gems, sometimes bonus stages. If you are breaking every box you should find all the icons for bonus stages, although a few (particularly N. Brio and N. Cortex stages) are hidden.

As for the crate between two TNTs, just press jump and then immediately spin. Can be done consistently once you get a feel for it, and if you keep jump held you should be able to destroy the middle crate AND pass over the top crate. It's possible to do this without slowing down, but feel free to stop at the crates if you keep hitting the TNTs.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Just finished Bee-having. I'd suppressed how bad it is. All I could think of was this.

hnGNH.gif

Slightly different to the original but:

Clear gems - collect all boxes (including any in bonus stages)
Coloured gems - collect all boxes without dying. You are allowed to die before the first checkpoint or in bonus stages.
Keys -
complete Cortex bonus stages on Sunset Vista and... Jaws of Darkness?
These unlock
Whole Hog and Fumbling in the Dark
Invisible platforms - sometimes coloured gems, sometimes bonus stages. If you are breaking every box you should find all the icons for bonus stages, although a few (particularly N. Brio and N. Cortex stages) are hidden.

As for the crate between two TNTs, just press jump and then immediately spin. Can be done consistently once you get a feel for it, and if you keep jump held you should be able to destroy the middle crate AND pass over the top crate. It's possible to do this without slowing down, but feel free to stop at the crates if you keep hitting the TNTs.

Ta.
I'm finding the camera to be a bit awkward on the sections where you're moving towards the screen, but I'm finding it easier than when I played the original.

Just finished Bee-having. I'd suppressed how bad it is. All I could think of was this.

hnGNH.gif

I still enjoy the bee levels. They're really fun relics to go for, when you're just running through and just avoiding/spinning the bees, rather than going underground to avoid them.

Combichristoffersen

Just run and do a spin if a bee gets close. Also, slide jumping really helps boost you away from the bees.

Once you revisit it post-game with the running shoes, it becomes trivial.

Yeah, but it's still a pain in the ass trying to spin away 5-6 bees while you need to slide under those electric currents, haha. Did finish it with both crystal and white gem tho.

I know it's already been said but for newcomers who are struggling, use the D-pad. 90%+ levels control better with it. For me, the only exceptions have been some of the 'running towards screen levels' where a bit more ducking and weaving is needed.
Yeah I'm guessing it's because crash 1 at least was clearly built around the dpad. Something about the analog controls in that one feels off. Crash 2 and 3 are just fine though.

HoJu

Beat all the games and it was fine.

This is coming from someone who hasn't played the originals. Physics and hit detection are off in the first game, and it has some of the worst levels, but also probably the best. Second game has more variety in levels. Probably the best of the trilogy, but flying levels were junk and some of the levels were repetitive. levels also depended more on throwing annoying enemies at you than platforming. Third has the most boring platforming level design and the vehicle levels ranged from terrible to bad. Only the tiger levels were fun.

Presentation wise, the game was pretty great. Everyone had character and the animation was detailed and fun to watch.

Crash 1- 5/10
Crash 2 -6/10
Crash 3 - 4/10

Never felt any desire to go back and replay the levels. Getting all the boxes honestly sounds like the worst thing to try to do. It's like a Mario game saying break every brick. No thank you. Just a cheap way to extend the length of the game. Tried time trial and it was kinda fun though.

wiibomb

Crash 1 is such a bullshit game on the last island levels, also batshit insane on difficulty. Is crash 2 like that?

I'm at N. Brio fight and I've been trying to get all colored gems I can (4 up to this point), that has made some wear on me

I know about crash 3 (my favorite one), but I still think crash 2 is like 1.

Combichristoffersen

Crash 1 is such a bullshit game on the last island levels, also batshit insane on difficulty. Is crash 2 like that?

I'm at N. Brio fight and I've been trying to get all colored gems I can (4 up to this point), that has made some wear on me

I know about crash 3 (my favorite one), but I still think crash 2 is like 1.

Crash 2 is overall easier than Crash 1.

Just started Crash 1 today. On a few of the early levels there as transparent round platforms, how do I make those go solid?

You need to unlock special coloured gems to make the transparent platforms visible. To acquire these gems, you must complete specific stages without dying and destroying all the boxes in the process.

Mariip

After two days i've finally beat Native Fortress! had to grind some lives till i had 30 becaus that game over screen pisses me off(and not keeping checkpoints made the experience way more punishing than it should)
Started the level at 32 lives, finished at 30, i'm pretty proud tbh

Then i lost 25 lives on the next leve...l but screw it, they won't help me beating ripper hoo anyway ¯_(ツ)_/¯

*Splinter

Having just gotten there I see what you mean it took me forever to figure out HOW this was possible let alone pulling it off. -________-

Once you figure out the flow of the level its not that hard its just... really annoying.
Wait for piston.
Wait for enemy to change.
Wait for piston.
Wait for piston.
Wait for enemy to change.

It's the level that made me realise why I wasn't enjoying Crash 2. They massively improved enemy design in Crash 3, even if it made the game easier overall.

.Anema

Some time trials in Crash 2 are a little hell! I had a very frustrating (and funny) time with Hangin Out, not because I suck, its the fucking time! Got the relic after like 45 minutes lol.
I got all the relics on Crash 2, just a few white gems for the platinum trophy (got platinun trophy on Crash 1 a few days ago) and the for Crash 3! Yay!

Vertti

Crash 2 doesn't like to give you any extra lifes. Had probably 99 lifes at this stage on Crash 1 but I had 30 max on Crash 2 and now I've got plenty of game overs.

4th world was surprisingly frustrating. Spent two hours getting through while the first three took me 3 hours. Some sloppy playing but still. And I didn't even get the Cold Hard Crash gem yet. Ugh.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Finally finished Crash 2, it's okay but I greatly prefer the original and will probably stick with the original for future playthrough.

I started Coco 3 and honestly unlike Crash 2 where I enjoy playing the game and finish up the first warp room before ending it for the day for Coco 3, I just got up to the Dinosaur level before deciding to end it as I was just getting bored of the level theme and wasn't exactly looking forward to playing the jetski level twice.

Also the swimming control just feels off and it messed me up during the time trial.

Crash 2 doesn't like to give you any extra lifes. Had probably 99 lifes at this stage on Crash 1 but I had 30 max on Crash 2 and now I've got plenty of game overs.

4th world was surprisingly frustrating. Spent two hours getting through while the first three took me 3 hours. Some sloppy playing but still. And I didn't even get the Cold Hard Crash gem yet. Ugh.

I find that funny as I have played Crash 2 many times and never noticed it as I rarely got game over even when purposely killing myself to speed run the level or because I missed the box but it was only in the remaster version where I was burning up life at greater pace and saw the lazy game over screen over and over and over.

Most of it were due to the god awful polar bear control and the dodgy hit detection.

CrocoDuck

Got the plat for Crash 2 yesterday (not gonna attempt 1 'till later, lol) and started 3. I quickly finished the first world and was much easier than I remembered when I was a kid.

Sullichin

I'm enjoying the challenge of Crash 1 time trials but holy shit. With 14/26 out of the way now, the rest are all grueling for me and hours-long commitments each

Crash 1 seems a lot easier than when I was a kid. I've yet to get a game over and I'm on the Pinstripe boss.

13 gems (3 of them colored) and 10 relics (8 Platinum, 2 gold).

I haven't played an old school platformer in years, honestly. Forgot how much fun they can be.

Roo

There's a trick in Bee-Having where you can make up to 99 lives in less than 10 minutes (if you do it right, of course) by slide-spinning the bees away before all of them come out of the beehive.

You most likely won't need all of them but it'll prevent the game over screen from appearing over and over again.

farisr

Got the gold in The High Road, was like 1.something off from a platinum but I don't care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fag8l_WDpS0

Notice the drastic difference in how I play the first and second half of the stage. LOL. One or two different jumps would've gotten me a platinum. But my goal was to actually complete the level for once (and this was the only time I actually managed to complete a run). Got a gold and that's good enough for me. Got the gem right after, and I am not going to revisit this level ever again.

After getting the platinum trophy in all three games, this is how I would rank them:

1. Crash 1 / Crash 3
2. Crash 2

Crash 1 was pure and tough platforming.
The levels are a lot of fun and memorable, especially in time attack, even if some of them were very frustrating (but fun at the same time).

Crash 2 had less memorable levels to me. There were also some enemies I didn't liked (some with super strange hit boxes).
Playing the levels on time attack felt strange or wrong sometimes. Had more fun with the time attacks in Crash 1. Oh, and too much backtracking for some gems.

Crash 3 had cooler levels again, maybe one or two motorbike levels too much. Still more memorable and fun than Crash 2 in my opinion.
Time attack was also more enjoyable than Crash 2.

Anyway, the Trilogy is great and all 3 games are worth playing :)

Top Bottom