• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 pulled from Steam Store, [Move To New Thread, See Last Post For Link]

Status
Not open for further replies.

szaromir

Banned
loblaw said:
It's much, much different. EA owns a lot of individual developers. Once you start making decisions for those developers and picking and choosing when to make them exclusive to your form of distribution, it looks a hell of a lot worse than a private company (Valve) keeping their own games on their platform.
It really is not different. EA owns developers, therefore they decide their fate altogether - what games they make, how long, what is their headcount, sometimes about the shutdown, too. Deciding on the where the game is sold seems like the smallest concern for those developers. Ultimately at Valve someone makes the same management and marketing decisions as people in EA.

sflufan

Banned
szaromir said:
It really is not different. EA owns developers, therefore they decide their fate altogether - what games they make, how long, what is their headcount, sometimes about the shutdown, too. Deciding on the where the game is sold seems like the smallest concern for those developers. Ultimately at Valve someone makes the same management and marketing decisions as people in EA.

The significant difference is that Crysis 2 is still available for sale on other DD outlets. That's the key here, not the fact that it's been pulled from the Steam Store.

I would never have posted this topic if it had been pulled from Steam and made an Origin exclusive.

Edit: Yay! I'm famous:

http://kotaku.com/5811996/crysis-2-pulled-from-steam-now-only-on-eas-origin

Ashes

Banned
Acosta said:
In this example, Sony wouldn't allow Gamestop to sell their stuff because they want people to go to the Sony Store. So yes, that would be pretty anti-competitive. But it doesn't happen.

For all we know it could just be a temporary glitch, or contractual talks behind the scenes between Valve and E.A.

Haven't seen a mass scale meltdown for some time on GAF.

on your point:

If they are taking a stab at steam, then good on them, bad on steam lovers though, which is like 90% of the market. <<< Which is why I don't believe BF3 will be Origin exclusive. Their biggest ip of the year will reach 90% of the pc download space. Lesser titles, or older titles maybe not so much.

cicero

szaromir said:
Yes there are but if 90%+ are used to buy on Steam only, the publishers might have an active interest to teach the consumers to look for games in other places so that they're not too reliable on one store in case anything bad happen.
Publishers aren't out doing this. They aren't out fighting against the most successful service around trying to keep money out of their own pockets to try to teach some weird "lesson" to consumers...

Acosta

venne said:
Pretty much my thoughts.

I'm an economical gamer, if Steam has the cheapest version of what I want I buy from them. If Direct2Drive does, I buy from them. If *gasp* Games for Windows Marketplace is the cheapest, I buy from them.

I have most of my PC games from Steam, but I am by no means willing to accept it as my only source of games.

Now wonder why most of your PC games come from Steam.

And now you can start feeling pissed that you won't have that option anymore.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
sflufan said:
The significant difference is that Crysis 2 is still available for sale on other DD outlets. That's the key here, not the fact that it's been pulled from the Steam Store.

I would never have posted this topic if it had been pulled from Steam and made an Origin exclusive.
They seem to be moving to that model instead, since SWTOR is a straight up retail/Origin exclusive.

coopolon

ZombieSupaStar said:

Could you tell me how you got to this link from the Origin home page? Or where it is offering Extended Download Service for purchase? I think this is just a old website they never deleted, I can't get to it from the home page nor do I see it offered anywhere in the store, only find it via googling it.

loblaw said:
For 5 years, yes. Unless you pay a fee, it's gone after that.

Could you show me where they are selling the extended download service you are referencing? And I think you actually aren't reading that bit right. When you bought the extended download service, you were allowed to download the game for 5 years. If you didn't buy it, you only got like 6 months or a year. This was back when they were partnered with Digital River, which was years ago.

Corto

szaromir said:
Pulling C2 from Steam (it it's indeed the case) is a bit extreme, but ultimately not much different from Valve nut publishing their on other DD services.

There's a world of difference. Valve has no incentive to bring their titles to other DD services as its service has a larger audience so it would be absurd to give a margin of the sale price to other DD providers. EA taking out their games could make sense if Origin had a significant user base which is not the case. As it is at the moment this kind of decision on EA's is just absurd.

noise36

I dont care which store its on, steam is no better than anywhere else.

The only thing which matters to me is pricing...if you price new games at 70-90USD for Australians then we wont buy your games on Origin/Steam or where ever else you sell them for those prices.

Likely outcome for BF3 is...

Origin $70-90USD
Origin keys sold on other DD for <$50USD

Dambrosi

Banned
Iztli said:
yay ^^ I'm gonna buy the retail version of BF3 :) thnx for the help ea
Make sure to pre-order it from Amazon for added disrespect!

loblaw: That isn't true, and hasn't been for years. I don't know why it's still in the EA Store/Origin TOS, though - maybe they just forgot to take it out?

Nirolak: Do we actually have any kind of statement from either Valve or EA regarding this affair? Would help to clear the air somewhat, because all we have right now is a game that's disappeared from Steam and lots of feverish speculation.

Symphonic

Dambrosi said:
Make sure to pre-order it from Amazon for added disrespect!

loblaw: That isn't true, and hasn't been for years. I don't know why it's still in the EA Store/Origin TOS, though - maybe they just forgot to take it out?

Nirolak: Do we actually have any kind of statement from either Valve or EA regarding this affair? Would help to clear the air somewhat, because all we have right now is a game that's disappeared from Steam and lots of feverish speculation.

My bad, then. I just assumed.

szaromir

Banned
cicero said:
Publishers aren't out doing this. They aren't out fighting against the most successful service around trying to keep money out of their own pockets to try to teach some weird "lesson" to consumers...
Some of them are if the games can reliably sell elsewhere - see Starcraft 2 and WoW. Don't be surprised to see more of such examples as time goes on. Paradox have their own DD store (and have had for a long time) and decide to publish their stuff on Steam as it is a great outlet for them, but games that are going to have strong marketing push (TOR or BF3) might require you to purchase them elsewhere, just like Valve requires you to buy their games on Steam as their games are marketed enough that they don't need any presence elsewhere (Steam's huge marketshare notwithstanding).

There's a world of difference. Valve has no incentive to bring their titles to other DD services as its service has a larger audience so it would be absurd to give a margin of the sale price to other DD providers. EA taking out their games could make sense if Origin had a significant user base which is not the case. As it is at the moment this kind of decision on EA's is just absurd.
It's not as their games have huge consumer awareness.

Durante

ARXIN said:
You know for as much a PC gamers say they love how open and free PC is compared to consoles way too many praise steams monopolization of DD content. I agree steam is fantastic and by far the best store PC has to offer but I always felt it was a slippery slope that they get so much power over the marketplace.
I agree with this, and I've posted similar thoughts before.
Ideally, community features should be completely decoupled from any store front and publisher. And based on free software. Someone should get on that :p

noise36 said:

The only thing which matters to me is pricing...if you price new games at 70-90USD for Australians then we wont buy your games on Origin/Steam or where ever else you sell them for those prices.

Likely outcome for BF3 is...

Origin $70-90USD
Origin keys sold on other DD for <$50USD

Steam isn't better? LOL. Well different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Acosta

Ashes1396 said:
For all we know it could just be a temporary glitch, or contractual talks behind the scenes between Valve and E.A.

on your point:

If they are taking a stab at steam, then good on them, bad on steam lovers though, which is like 90% of the market. <<< Which is why I don't believe BF3 will be Origin exclusive. Their biggest ip of the year will reach 90% of the pc download space. Lesser titles, or older titles maybe not so much.

Yes, I'm aware of that possibility. But it´s not the first time we have this kind of discussion with EA and Valve involved. So this move wouldn't surprise me at all.

But hey, I hope so. I would be happy if all this proves to be nothing.

noise36 said:

Same here. I go where it's cheapest, and most often it's GamersGate - it doesn't artificially inflate prices for NZ, unlike Origin which sells most games at $US90. LOL good luck EA.

For example, I can get Alice Madness Returns from GG for NZ$50, or $NZ110 on Origin... hmmm.

If they make games Origin exclusive, well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

epmode

Dambrosi said:
EA has offered little more than half-assed excuses when interviewers have brought up their recent anti-Steam behavior. So no official confirmation of a strategy change even though it's obvious to, well, everyone.
noise36 said:
Right. Except for how it really is better than any other client on the market. Far better, even.

XeroSauce

You know what is stupid?

They just gave MW3 full reign on Steam.

And wasn't EA the distributors for L4D2 and portal 2? What in the heck?

venne

Acosta said:
Now wonder why most of your PC games come from Steam.

And now you can start feeling pissed that you won't have that option anymore.

It would be hypocritical for me to complain about EA keeping its games to itself when I don't complain about Valve doing the exact same thing.

Corto

szaromir said:
It's not as their games have huge consumer awareness.

I would prefer that EA tried to leverage its DD service with better deals compared to other services than with selective exclusivity.

XeroSauce said:
You know what is stupid?

They just gave MW3 full reign on Steam.

And wasn't EA the distributors for L4D2 and portal 2? What in the heck?

What I find interesting (again, assuming that the title is accurate) is EA is basically removing product and profit from Valve by doing this and yet Valve at least as of yet hasn't ended its relationship with EA for distributing its games retail even for console versions. Why? Valve is smart. They aren't going to bite their nose to spite their face. EA seems to be doing just that.

coopolon

ZombieSupaStar said:

The more I think about it, the more obvious this is not accurate anymore. This is nowhere in the actual TOS for using Origin. And it's that TOS you agree too, not some hidden website on their store. Users never agree to this (unless it's somewhere else int he store that you also have to agree too, but I can't find it anywhere.)

In the actual TOS relevant to Origin, they do say if you don't use it for 24 months they may cancel your account. Which again is weird and scary.

LovingSteam said:
What I find interesting (again, assuming that the title is accurate) is EA is basically removing product and profit from Valve by doing this and yet Valve at least as of yet hasn't ended its relationship with EA for distributing its games retail even for console versions. Why? Valve is smart. They aren't going to bite their nose to spite their face. EA seems to be doing just that.

You are assuming they're going to lose money. I think you're probably right, but it's not actually proven yet. It is conceivable (even if we all think it is unlikely) that they'll actually make more money from this venture.

thebeeks

Banned
Ashes1396 said:

on your point:

I certainly hope so, ME3/BF3 unavailable on Steam is a pretty big deal-breaker for me.

While Origin doesn't actually suck, I wish I could just use one service to have all my PC games.

This just kinda frustrates me to have to maintain two services with games.

I'll probably just use Origin like I did EA Download Manager and then launch all games through Steam anyways.

You guys do realise that Salsashark may have the correct answer over in the Steam topic, which is that Crysis 2 might have been taken down because they ran out of keys, right?

This is rather big thread for such an open 'jump to conclusions' topic.

coopolon

Zeitgeister said:
You guys do realise that Salsashark may have the correct answer over in the Steam topic, which is that Crysis 2 might have been taken down because they ran out of keys, right?

This is rather big thread for such an open 'jump to conclusions' topic.

Even if that is the case with Crysis 2, TOR is definitely not coming to Steam.

cicero

szaromir said:
Some of them are if the games can reliably sell elsewhere - see Starcraft 2 and WoW. Don't be surprised to see more of such examples as time goes on. Paradox have their own DD store (and have had for a long time) and decide to publish their stuff on Steam as it is a great outlet for them, but games that are going to have strong marketing push (TOR or BF3) might require you to purchase them elsewhere, just like Valve requires you to buy their games on Steam as their games are marketed enough that they don't need any presence elsewhere (Steam's huge marketshare notwithstanding).
The point I was responding to was your assertion that "the publishers might have an active interest to teach the consumers to look for games in other places so that they're not too reliable on one store in case anything bad happen." The idea that this is part of some lesson is silly.

Ceebs

lastplayed said:
Same here. I go where it's cheapest, and most often it's GamersGate - it doesn't artificially inflate prices for NZ, unlike Origin which sells most games at $US90. LOL good luck EA.

For example, I can get Alice Madness Returns from GG for NZ$50, or $NZ110 on Origin... hmmm.

If they make games Origin exclusive, well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Not to mention GG has the Blue Coins reward program. You actually get a bit of first month price collapse protection with that as well.

It's the better deal over Steam every time outside of the Steam Sales.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dmented said:
Maybe not but when it comes to EA, Valve uses EA as their retail distribution. If EA stops putting games on Steam, then EA isn't using Valve for anything at all while Valve at least uses EA for retail.

EA could be shitting on a partnership.

I think that relationship soured when EA bitched to Valve about the latter's intention to unlock Portal 2 early. It'll be interesting to see if their retail partnership extends to Valve's next release.

szaromir

Banned
Corto said:
I would prefer that EA tried to leverage its DD service with better deals compared to other services than with selective exclusivity.
I would prefer if I could buy Valve games on GG or GOG or whenever. I would prefer if no PC games had any sort of DRM, aka no securom, no steamworks, no uplay etc. But it's impossible and I need to decide in every individual case if the contract that publishers offer me is a suitable option for me. The world isn't ideal, everybody is defending their interests and I'm not going to blindly stand by any side.

Salazar said:
Huh. I would not be surprised to find complacency alongside malignity.

What does the page say? It says its only on Origin. Is it on D2D and GG? Yes? Then it's not only on Origin and therefore that page is incorrect.

Zimbardo

regarding the thought that they might have just run out of keys ...

i've had that happen to me once on Steam, where when i bought something it said that they ran out of keys. it gave a message stating that they'd issue me a key as soon as possible ...something to that effect.

anyway, that didn't cause them to completely take down the store page for that particular game tho.

so the fact that the store page for Crysis 2 is completely gone, and gone for the last handful of hours is interesting.

Salazar

LovingSteam said:
What does the page say? It says its only on Origin. Is it on D2D and GG? Yes? Then it's not only on Origin and therefore that page is incorrect.

Which is the substance of the post you quoted.

burgerdog

Xamdou said:
EA pulled Crysis 2 from the steam store because they know of the upcoming steam summer sale which will make mark the game's price anywhere from 30%-50%.
You don't know how the sale system works.

Xamdou

Well Origins just launched, so what better way to get more customers to use the service than to have exclusive games on it? Crysis 2 as a starter but then Battlefield 3, SW:TOR as well as Mass Effect 3 are the biggest exclusives in EA's lineup.

sp3000

I don't buy games on DD unless they are less than 20 anyway. Steam pulled the exact same tactic to get people on Steam with HL2 and everyone threw a hissy fit. If they had made Steam optional, it probably wouldn't exist today.

Let's be honest, Steam was so bad it was malware when it first was released, and I didn't even bother with HL2 until years later because of it.

How come I can't buy Portal1+2, L4D1+2, Team Fortress 2 or the Half-Life games on any other DD service? Damn, Valve is super evil and greedy! Fuck them!

Blizzard

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Or, it's GOING to be only on Origin, but D2D and GG are slower to react to EA's directive to pull the game from the store.

sflufan

Banned
Zimbardo said:
regarding the thought that they might have just run out of keys ...

i've had that happen to me once on Steam, where when i bought something it said that they ran out of keys. it gave a message stating that they'd issue me a key as soon as possible ...something to that effect.

anyway, that didn't cause them to completely take down the store page for that particular game tho.

so the fact that the store page for Crysis 2 is completely gone, and gone for the last handful of hours is interesting.

And couple that with the fact that the new Alice game isn't available on Steam, but is available on other DD services.

Surely they didn't run out of keys for that piece of crap!

venne

coopolon said:
You are assuming they're going to lose money. I think you're probably right, but it's not actually proven yet. It is conceivable (even if we all think it is unlikely) that they'll actually make more money from this venture.

I think they'll ultimately make more money. EA has to sell 43% more games on Steam to generate the same amount of revenue that it does by selling them itself.

Assume EA intends to make $350 of revenue from a $50 title. On the EA store it would need to sell seven copies. On Steam, it would need to sell ten. Get that into the hundreds of thousands or millions of copies and you are looking at an incredible incentive to do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom