• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 - XBOX 360 Demo [Out Now]

I reached the maximum rank and deleted the demo. I really enjoyed it and can't wait for the PC demo now (the platform that i'll be buying it on).

I am really eager to try it with a KB+M because I think on a controller the slide move + aiming is pretty much impossible to do - I needs my Ctrl key.

I also noticed that for killstreaks you have to pick up dog tags rather than just get kills, which is yet another excellent design decision to ward off campers. I am really loving the balance and thought that they've put into this - it's like they've taken the feedback from other games and implemented it into their own.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
bounchfx said:
it is.

Ugh.
yeah I have the same problem it sucks. Its stupid tho b/c I have a shitty wi max connection so I can move the device but I'm lazy.

This game rocks.

Heard they're working on a fix though

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
wwm0nkey said:
I keep DESTROYING people at this game for some reason.

I do the same until I play against someone or a group of people that all they do is melee. So annoying, saw a guy go 20 and 2 the other day. I swear he didn't fire a shot the entire match.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
adelante said:
I like how the particle effects react to the wind direction, although that may have been preanimated
It's probably real time. KZ2 also did this so it wouldn't surprise me if Crytek did.

The question Im preparing to ask should make it obvious but I'm still going preface it by saying I don't know shit about the technical aspects of online gaming so go easy and explain it like Im a 1st grader.

Why would a wireless connection cause a problem like this? I would kinda understand if it affected low bandwith connections on both wired and wireless connections but that doesn't appear to be the case here. One friend of mine has a crappy wired dsl connection and can run it fine while a second friend has a superfast wireless cable connection and can't run it at all.

Gui_PT

Not a Jellyfish said:
I do the same until I play against someone or a group of people that all they do is melee. So annoying, saw a guy go 20 and 2 the other day. I swear he didn't fire a shot the entire match.

Sprint ----> Slide ----> Melee = Profit

(No, I don't do it, but it works)

wwm0nkey

Love when I get into a non laggy match :D

I keep on wrecking people. Apparently they think I cant see them in camo even though I have the perk that lets me see them lol.

Nizz

Klocker said:
YES. not Blops, but much better than FC2
Thanks for answering :) The acceleration in Far Cry 2 was pretty bad. So Crysis 2's acceleration isn't as bad, good.

Rebel Leader said:
Meanwhile, at crytek's ps3 division:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4301/locator338emptyroom.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]
LOL! I really, really have my doubts on that version.

dork

Banned
played 1 game and it was so easy haha.

started with a 6-0 kill streak (didnt even look at the controls to learn them) .

How do you use your kill streak rewards? I thought the menu said you got one at like 3-5-7 or something.

Klocker

dork said:
played 1 game and it was so easy haha.

started with a 6-0 kill streak (didnt even look at the controls to learn them) .

How do you use your kill streak rewards? I thought the menu said you got one at like 3-5-7 or something.

After a kill, you need to pick up the dogtags (white light shining up from dead body) to earn your killstreaks

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
i like how "health critical" or whatever flashes on the screen when you are low on health

thnx 4 update

arena08

For those interested this will be happening in just under 2 hours :)

http://www.ea.com/crysis-2/blog/game-with-devs

This Saturday, January 29th, is your chance to play with Crytek. We'll be hosting a Game with Developers event from 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm PST/11:00 pm - 2:00 am GMT on Xbox LIVE. The event is open to all Xbox LIVE Gold members, but don't forget that this weekend is Xbox LIVE's Free Gold Weekend. This means that ALL members, including Silver (Free), will be able to hop online, download the demo and battle with Crytek!

dejan

Afrikan said:
do yall really believe Crytek, of all 3rd Party companies, would struggle working on their PS3 version? They have talked about having a dedicated PS3 team for years......in a secret room no less...lol.

However, I don't expect it to look much different than the 360 version. Which is a shame, cause I would love to see a 3rd Party Dev try to go head to head graphically with Sony's 1st Party Studios.

Some quotes from a community interview back in august with Crysis 2 Level Designer Daniel Phillips:
AKka: Does the hardware difference between the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 allow one of these version to look better?

Daniel: When I worked on A:CM I would have said yes to this question. During that project we found that the PS3 gave far better visuals than the 360. But having worked on Crysis 2, I have found that the quality is all dependant on the programming team. As it stands right now, the quality is near identical between the 360 and PS3 for Crysis 2 (and amazing)

AKka: What was the lead console at the beginning of Crysis 2's development?

Daniel: At the start I believe it was the Xbox 360 that was used as the console benchmark. As of now though, we’ve switched to the PS3 as our “low end” benchmark. Not because it’s inferior to the 360, but because it’s just so much harder to develop on. It has very different specs compared to the 360.

Some interesting (albeit probably a bit biased) stuff about engine differences:
Jostix/AKka: As a Level Designer, what is the best engine to work with?

Daniel: I have worked with 3 of the industry's top gaming engines.

id Software's Radiant: This engine is all about efficiency. John Carmack is probably the world's leading innovator when it comes to utilizing and implementing cutting-edge technology. The downside to using Radiant is it’s a bit cumbersome to navigate and build worlds. The tools to do so are there and once you learn the ropes (as with any engine) it becomes easier. Also, unless id Tech 5 is changing it, Radiant is based on the “vacuum” approach. When you compile BSP and lighting, it does tracing throughout the entire map. Any “leak” found will result in the compile stopping. This was always a time sink. I certainly hope they’ve moved away from that old technology (Hammer, Valve’s editor, uses the same method).

Epic’s Unreal Engine: There is a reason the vast majority of the gaming industry uses this engine to develop their games. It’s robust, offers a wide range of development tools, has a fairly short learning curve, and produces outstanding visuals. But, nothing is perfect. The engine is still based on the ancient BSP tree model. Couple that with baked lighting and iteration can become very cumbersome. While working on A:CM it took up to 2-3 hours to do a complete rebuild and compile of BSP, lighting and navigation. This is a huge hindrance on iteration.

Crytek's CryEngine 3: As you’ve guessed, I’ve saved the best for last smile I really can’t say enough good things about this engine. The first thing is no compiling! Absolutely every light you see in game is either deferred or dynamic. There is no baked shadows or lighting. This by itself is enough to take the crown, but it doesn’t stop here. CryEngine 3 is NOT based on the old BSP tree model. There is a tool within Sandbox that allows the user to create Solids (CryEngine's version of BSP), but they require no compiling! All of this equals one very important thing - Rapid iteration. While I could go on and on about other features, I do want to mention that Flowgraph is by far the most powerful scripting GUI I have used. It lacks a few key features that Kismet (UnrealEd) has (such as Remote Events Print to Screen debugging). But this is compensated for by the sheer quantity of operations provided (Math, Vec, Int, String, etc). This gives the scripter literally all the tools they need to do what ever your crazy mind can think of.

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=31588

Gui_PT said:
Sprint ----> Slide ----> Melee = Profit

(No, I don't do it, but it works)
Hit them once with a shotgun and they are down. Shotgun is the best remedy if anyone is trying to engage you in close quarters.

Edit: On PC its probably going to be different. Mouse aim and headshots are going to force a different playstyle.

Gui_PT

Lostconfused said:
Hit them once with a shotgun and they are down. Shotgun is the best remedy if anyone is trying to engage you in close quarters.

Edit: On PC its probably going to be different. Mouse aim and headshots are going to force a different playstyle.

I'm awful with the shotgun. And the shotgun being bad itself doesn't help :p

But I'll try it, thanks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Rebel Leader said:
Meanwhile, at crytek's ps3 division:

locator338emptyroom.jpg
LMAO, oh so true. And the lack of info from them is BS and they are hurting that version by not showing us anything on it. If by some miracle it turns out to be as good if not better (lol) then it's BS, the behind the scenes decisions Crytek has made behind the PS3 version.

So Ive played this demo quiiiiiiiite a bit now. I was once a total greifer hating on the melee system, but now I understand the beatdown system and completely agree with it. 1 hit kill for non-armored people shows they were vulnerable because they were either unprepared, not fast enough, or risked using invisibility. Armor requires 2 beatdowns for a kill, a balance that rewards the players choice of perk in a given combat situation.

If they switched the melee system to be a standard non-armored kill to need 2 beatdowns, it would then require 3 melees to kill an armored person. This would be awkward and give too much of an advantage to the armored person.

I think they should really keep the beatdown system the way it is, but Perhaps increase the power of the weapons to discourage people from using beatdown as a crutch.

pmj

They should stop advertising the demo to silver members due to this free weekend when you still need gold in order to actually download it.

No download links? Although I'd hate to possibly ruin someone else's experience because it takes much longer for me to load the map from a disc.

I finally made a bit of progress playing this today, and it was a blast.

I use the cloak as much as I can, pop out as soon as I have someone in the crosshairs and squeeze off a few shots.

I finished with five kills, two assists and for deaths. Yes, those are pedestrian numbers... but they are a huge improvement for me. I normally finish with one kill and ten our so deaths.

FunnyBunny said:
I finally made a bit of progress playing this today, and it was a blast.

I use the cloak as much as I can, pop out as soon as I have someone in the crosshairs and squeeze off a few shots.

I finished with five kills, two assists and for deaths. Yes, those are pedestrian numbers... but they are a huge improvement for me. I normally finish with one kill and ten our so deaths.
My first couple games I had like 2-3 kills and 11-12 deaths (I have no online FPS experience at all). I put in a few hours and in my last game I had 14 kills, 1 assist, and 10 deaths and was the highest scorer and MVP in a game of Crash Site. Not great or anything, but a huge improvement for me.

The biggest areas I improved (other than relatively smart use of the nanosuit) was to try to stick with my teammates as much as possible and make sure I have a bead on someone before pulling the trigger.

Like George Costanza, I like to exit when I'm on top so with that I've 'retired' from the demo as I know I'll be buying this for PC anyway.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Major Williams said:
So Ive played this demo quiiiiiiiite a bit now. I was once a total greifer hating on the melee system, but now I understand the beatdown system and completely agree with it. 1 hit kill for non-armored people shows they were vulnerable because they were either unprepared, not fast enough, or risked using invisibility. Armor requires 2 beatdowns for a kill, a balance that rewards the players choice of perk in a given combat situation.

If they switched the melee system to be a standard non-armored kill to need 2 beatdowns, it would then require 3 melees to kill an armored person. This would be awkward and give too much of an advantage to the armored person.

I think they should really keep the beatdown system the way it is, but Perhaps increase the power of the weapons to discourage people from using beatdown as a crutch.

Crysis 2 falls into the same trap as most online shooters do. There are a some cool powers/abilities, but none really allow you to escape combat. Stealth cloak is a pre-combat power. With cloak you become an ambush predator. You can't really cloak and run away, the person that noticed you will carve you up with his gun. It is all about getting the drop on someone.

I do like how quickly guys get dropped; it really rewards the player who can get the drop on another.

I enjoyed Halo:Reach, but hated how players were bullet sponges. It's very hard to learn how to play an online shooter when it's next to impossible to kill a talented and experienced rival.

As a total aside, is there a good place to improve at online FPS without spending an entire match dead?

Skenzin

Banned
Oh gosh.

First impressions. Controls feel like I'm in a nightmare and underwater. The engine looks like it has been so scaled down to run on the 360 that the end result looks like a visual mess. Watching it I know there are some impressive things happening under the hood but I cant tell what I just saw. Reminds me of someone getting ray tracing running on C64 with just a couple sprites. Impressive but ultimately pointless engineering feet. All this would be mute if it was actually fun to play.

Major Williams said:

Oh wow so armor makes it a 2 hit melee kill? What about from behind?

That's good news and relieves much of my concern about the MP sandbox

Erasus

Backfoggen said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrtOkNOgm1Q

Average FPS: 29.991fps
Min FPS: 29.0
Max FPS: 30.0
Tearing: 0.023%

For anyone saying this demo runs at 20 fps.

Good info. Just shows how everyone needs to wait for an analysis and not saying stuff like "it feels slow"

Here is some more engine info from Beyond3D
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1517029&postcount=1377

Looks like 360/PS3 version is what would be classed as medium for Crysis 2 if going by class numeration since 2 is medium (possibly modified sub category values), 3 high and 4 very high in Crysis/Warhead.

Also in comparision it ends up from low to very high with most on medium ballpark if compared to Crysis default configs.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Erasus said:
Good info. Just shows how everyone needs to wait for an analysis and not saying stuff like "it feels slow"

Here is some more engine info from Beyond3D
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1517029&postcount=1377
From that link, the PS3 version is currently configured to run at 704p (r_Height = 704) and has many downscaled variables compared to the 360 version.

However, what doesn't make sense is the fact that Mazinger reported the width to be 1115, but the consoles config says:
r_Width = 1280
r_Height = 720

and the 360 doesn't have an r_Width=1115 line.

sinnergy

And they seem to think the X360 version overrides some config files to use the hardware more. Testelation. (perhaps)

Also, if you look at the files it does not have v-sync, not in the files anyway. But if you look at the video, it clearly is.. weird

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
yes, I was waiting for this config to be opened.

Now I want somebody with modded xbox to modify settings and burn it on the disc. You could tweak a lot of variables in Crysis to make it run better without sacrificing a lot. But I guess that this demo was already optimized and tweaked to death.

sinnergy

subversus said:
yes, I was waiting for this config to be opened.

Now I want somebody with modded xbox to modify settings and burn it on the disc. You could tweak a lot of variables in Crysis to make it run better without sacrificing a lot. But I guess that this demo was already optimized and tweaked to death.

Could be a old demo ; )

subversus

(looking at configs)

damn, I would tone down DOF and removed motion blur and probably sunshafts.

godhandiscen

sinnergy said:
And they seem to think the X360 version overrides some config files to use the hardware more. Testelation. (perhaps)

Also, if you look at the files it does not have v-sync, not in the files anyway. But if you look at the video, it clearly is.. weird
The 360 does have vsync, look:
360:
r_VSync = 2
PS3:
r_VSync = 1

subversus

godhandiscen said:
360:
r_VSync = 2
PS3:
r_VSync = 1

I forgot why they have "2" here. Numbers after parameters meant an extent to which a parameter was implemented. As far as I remember r_Vsync had either 0 or 1.

sinnergy

godhandiscen said:
360:
r_VSync = 2
PS3:
r_VSync = 1

Okay, my bad, so 2 means on? Why isn't it: 1 = on, 0 = off. What does's 1 mean for ps3? Or does it mean that PS3 has soft v-sync? It loses v-sync if it drops to much?
(or is this just on/off)

godhandiscen

sinnergy said:
Okay, my bad, so 2 means on? Why isn't it: 1 = on, 0 = off. What does's 1 mean for ps3? Or does it mean that PS3 has soft v-sync? It loses v-sync if it drops to much?
(or is this just on/off)

I don't know, I am not familiar with Crysis cfg files, but vsync is definitely there. I like the fact that now you can cap the fps easily, it will help me if my PC can't handle the game for some reason.

subversus

sinnergy said:
(or is this just on/off)

might be this.

Erasus

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=503195#p503195

This guy went through the CE3 cfg and put the values in Crysis Wars.

Here's some screens with the CONSOLE.cfg AND CONSOLE HDR:
00001p.png

00002n.png

00005w.png

Here's some screens with CONSOLE.cfg and DEFAULT HDR:
00007w.png

00008e.png

Here's a direct comparison between Console.cfg and default medium, both with default HDR. This should show how C2 handles textures, LOD, etc... as far as CE2 is concerned.
CONSOLE.cfg
consolemedium.png

Default medium
defaultmedium.png

subversus

godhandiscen said:
Wow, so this guy applied the X360 config to Crysis 1, and the results are pretty good.

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=32336&p=2

For 30fps locked at 720p, thats 8800 or better performance right there.

looks like a good mix of med-high settings. 8800 GT was able to run such config in 720p at 30 fps with some drops on ice levels and open environments.

No wonders here, folks.

edit: damn, nice stealth edit lol!

godhandiscen

subversus said:
looks like a good mix of med-high settings. 8800 GT was able to run such config in 720p at 30 fps with some drops on ice levels and open environments.

No wonders here, folks.

edit: damn, nice stealth edit lol!
Yes, but now consider that the Xenos is a GPU with performance in between the HD2000 card and the HD3850, and it is actually a feat of optimization.

edit: meant to say HD3850

Top Bottom