• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

In that video, no, it's a glitched hurt box. It'll get fixed.

Alright, cool.

The attack's still kind of unintuitive, though. Players would naturally assume that they would have to run to the opposite side, so I don't get why there isn't a vertical wall of fire or something that appears that forces you to duck under the arcs if that's what you want them to do.

1upsuper

Alright, cool.

The attack's still kind of unintuitive, though. Players would naturally assume that they would have to run to the opposite side, so I don't get why there isn't a vertical wall of fire or something that appears that forces you to duck under the arcs if that's what you want them to do.

My very first reaction was to slip underneath him. The fact that he slowly undulates makes that pretty clear, IMO. If he were going faster like
the cat's paws
then it'd probably read differently.

joesmokey

I'm about to give up on doing Rugged Ridge's
pacifist run. Even with a Whetstone, the beginning sequence enemies are incredibly difficult. Their attack speed is too fast.

Edit: I also feel like there should be some tweaks to the rating system. It's very poor that you have to slow down how fast you kill some bosses just to give them time to dish out three parry attacks. The pink castle lady is the worst offender of this.

pacifist run. Even with a Whetstone, the beginning sequence enemies are incredibly difficult. Their attack speed is too fast.

Edit: I also feel like there should be some tweaks to the rating system. It's very poor that you have to slow down how fast you kill some bosses just to give them time to dish out three parry attacks. The pink castle lady is the worst offender of this.

I think this could be alleviated in
the Baroness's fight by letting you Parry off the castle itself. It is pink, after all!

Or the rolling ball in that same phase (also pink!).

You actually CAN Parry the peppermints, but I don't think they count towards the bonus?

Some things simply don't count as Parries for the end score. So far I've noticed Ribby and Croaks' Slot handle, The Baroness's peppermints, the Phantom Express's bulb, Sally Stageplay's meteor, King Dice's die, and Brineybeard's Ship's laser.

Valahart

I'd rather get some tweaks on the attack frequency of parriable attacks. That's an important part of the game, so it'd be great if the bosses would just throw parry opportunities at us until we got the 3/3.

In some bosses, delaying the fight can get really annoying. Sometimes they just won't use the the parriable attacks at all.

The bullet bills from the bee boss appear to have been scientifically designed to move in such a way that my brain is completely incapable of dodging.

Anustart

I'd say remove the parry requirement all together.

Wamb0wneD

The bullet bills from the bee boss appear to have been scientifically designed to move in such a way that my brain is completely incapable of dodging.

Haha seriously. I think it's their pattern combined with the fact the stages moves vertically. It really screws with my brain.

Love how the devil can hit you with absolutely nothing if he does his snake head thing going from right to left. Such bullshit. Ends so many S attempts and A+ for that matter because it's infuriating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b_0SoeULpg&feature=youtu.be

People in that love drunk phase where the game can do no wrong despite the many bullshit scenarios it throws at you.
Egregious hitbox for hitting you that far notwithstanding, literally all you have to do is jump. Hardly "bullshit" that kills your A+ or S rating "90%" of the time.

Baronness von Bon Bon isn't even close to being the worst example; she at least gives you opportunities to parry on a relatively consistent basis throughout all three phases. Bosses like Cali Maria on the other hand only give maybe one shot throughout the whole shebang, and that one time might not even spawn all three puffer fish either! If you proceed to wait afterwards, it's a dice roll how long it'll take for the next batch and you'll simultaneously lose out on pseudo-optimal time as well. Then there exist bosses like where it's very easy to have the pink patterns overlap with another attack + platform, or maybe even linger around the very edge of the screen where it's almost impossible to realistically connect a parry. This is on top of the limited amount of time given to the player like the aforementioned example. Cali Maria is one of the most difficult bosses to specifically S-rank on Expert for these reasons - she's a cakewalk otherwise - with other bosses like the bee queen, Hilda Berg or the dragon among others being far more gruelling than Baronness, no contest. None of this is even much of a problem (or at all really) if you're looking to 'just' beat them.

The amount of luck, the type that's arguably out of the player's control, that bosses like Cali Maria require is disproportionate to how thoughtful the rest of the game is, regardless of them being fringe cases rather than the norm. Hilda Berg, the dragon and the bee queen I managed to S-rank by now as well, but the strategy behind those kind of bosses is significantly more opaque than the Simon Says method of telegraphing employed for everything else. The run 'n gun stages also exhibit noticeable randomness even if your timing is identical, to the point that even some stationary enemies can be positioned elsewhere between one run and the next, which forces you to slow down in a way that feels unnatural compared to the rest of Cuphead.

I harped on this before, but I'm not trying to be a broken record. It's honestly just an element that really sticks out (in a game that is otherwise very carefully crafted around mechanical skill) as soon as you attempt to play at around max efficiency.

Link_enfant

I'm really tempted to buy the game full price right now, seems to be worth it.
Does it support DualShock 4 V2 without issues or compromises?
I usually don't play on PC and don't have any Xbox One controller.
I also got a 8bitdo SFC30 but I'm not sure it has enough buttons for this game.

Meanwhile at Teeth house

joakim-von-anka-badar-i-pengar.jpg

Finally beat this last night at 407 deaths. :)

King Dice was an issue until I equipped P. Sugar, which helped significantly with getting the dice rolls I wanted and with the cards at his final phase. The devil was a good challenge, but ultimately felt much easier than the toughest bosses.

Absolutely beautiful game, with such a consistent and brilliantly executed style. Such a good OST too.

Love loved loved this game.

Nabs

I'm really tempted to buy the game full price right now, seems to be worth it.
Does it support DualShock 4 V2 without issues or compromises?
I usually don't play on PC and don't have any Xbox One controller.

It's plug and play with the DS4. You can also enable Steam Input support (Steam Settings > Controllers) and play it (and any other game) that way.

damn, i love this game

using DS4 and X1 controller in the same time and i got this

5E712EAE3CF42C13032E2E9EB40CBDBA191B9289

Kent

An SNES controller should have just enough buttons for it - the default configuration for an Xbox controller doesn't use the triggers, but does use all four face buttons and the bumpers.

Though for me personally, I use a trigger for weapon swap, and use LB/RB for dash/lock. Mostly because that's the kind of thing I'm used to from a lot of other 2D action games (Castlevanias, Gunstar Super Heroes, Mega Man X/Zero, Gunvolt, etc.).

Ok, final boss beaten :( Didn't really want to see this end... I enjoyed it so much that I'll at least clear expert mode, maybe go for the last 5 achievements I'm short. Managed to A rank all the bosses, the final bosses first phase was definitely the tough part of the fight. Took me a while to get it down proper but after a few tries I was beating it with no damage. The other phases are fairly straight forward really in comparison, but still fun none the less.

Definitely one of the best indie games I've ever played (I put it up there with Shovel Knight, which I consider as close as perfect as you can get). The difficulty is perfect for me, the bosses are almost all excellent fun to fight and I really enjoyed getting those A ranks and learning the bosses back to front!
Also kudos on the sound department, its definitely up there as one of the best soundtracks I've heard. The graphics go without saying. Drop dead gorgeous!

I've done the first 3 bosses on expert so far, fairly straight forward stuff for the most part. Got my S rank against the veggies since they don't really get all that harder.
Out of the three I enjoyed the Frog Duo fight the most (again!). The change of attack pattern on the first two phases was really interesting. It works really well, a nice way of buffing the difficulty without making it silly.

ItIsOkBro

Love how the devil can hit you with absolutely nothing if he does his snake head thing going from right to left. Such bullshit. Ends so many S attempts and A+ for that matter because it's infuriating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b_0SoeULpg&feature=youtu.be

People in that love drunk phase where the game can do no wrong despite the many bullshit scenarios it throws at you.

to be honest, you deserve that hit for apparently ducking his hand clap attack

Lima

Are you for real?

I don’t have a tattoo, never considered getting one either.

I’m so in love with this game that I bought a bunch of shirts and merch which I never do and actually think about getting a tattoo of the superior character, Mugman.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Wow, cool! If you don't mind me asking, which frame? Or are you going to use them as a base for your own pose or expression?
Most likely a centered frame with an old english "13" underneath.

Anyone considering a cuphead tattoo should do it, its a really great style that translates well to bold tattoos. Take that from an apprentice!

Ultimadrago

Speaking of cups shaped like Cuphead. Any theories on what those giant Cuphead/Mugman heads without eyes represent? They show up during the Special II and I'm like "Wat.", they also show up late-game during one of the Game Over cards and cracked and busted.

Is it a manifestation of their souls?

Finally beat him! You can do it too!

I was about 45 minutes on the dragon tonight and got to the final stage most of the time and 3 or 4 times I got to within touching distance of the end and I mean touching distance :(

Going to leave it for tonight and try again tomorrow. It will not beat me!!
hopefully

Spman2099

Man, I went through a period of time where I was really struggling to finish a game... now I am spending time trying to improve my scores on bosses I have already beaten in a game that I have already beaten...

This game is crazy good. I hope all the people who worked on this game stay together and make another game as good as this one. It is pretty fucking special.

Ravelle

Any tips for the Genie? I don't seem to be able to dodge his first phase, it seems too random and get hit two times in a row.

Hit a wall with "Rugged Ridge". Been trying to beat it for three days now, can get almost to the very end

Literally just after this post I beat it with only one hit

Lima

Any tips for the Genie? I don't seem to be able to dodge his first phase, it seems too random and get hit two times in a row.

Keep restarting until you get the sword phase (or whatever you feel is easiest) tbh.

It’s what I did for S ranking expert. I could only get it done with the swords.

Ravelle

Keep restarting until you get the sword phase (or whatever you feel is easiest) tbh.

It’s what I did for S ranking expert. I could only get it done with the swords.

Yeah that one seems to most predictable, the trinkets and cats always get me.

Keep restarting it until you get the swords initially, lol. The treasure chest is super difficult to dodge, the cats are annoying and random (sometimes easy, sometimes hard), but the swords can always have the one glowy counter sword which makes your life a lot easier, and even if you don't counter it, it's at least predictable to dodge.

The second phase is easy with a bit of practice.

Third phase I find is super easy to switch to bombs and stay high / right. You will stuff it up a few times but you'll quickly get the hang of this phase and when to move back or forward to avoid the attacks. You can finish sarcophagus megafast with bombs if you do it right.

No particular advice for fourth and final stages.

Top Bottom