• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

Zajora

Finally got these printed, thanks GAF! :D

sp2YCyF.jpg

Awesome, I'm glad you liked them enough to print them! It really validates the time it takes to make the covers. :)

kuYuri

Awesome, I'm glad you liked them enough to print them! It really validates the time it takes to make the covers. :)

Thanks again! Glad I could validate your work. :D

Actually, I wanted to ask, remember that Blue Dragon cover you made for me awhile back? Could you just make one change? Leave the front cover as is, but make the back cover completely white. If you could do that, I would appreciate it!

Zajora

Thanks again! Glad I could validate your work. :D

Actually, I wanted to ask, remember that Blue Dragon cover you made for me awhile back? Could you just make one change? Leave the front cover as is, but make the back cover completely white. If you could do that, I would appreciate it!

Sure:

hurzelein

Ps4 Full Boxart Revealed

Quality isn't high enough to make a decent Non-minimal template I think, but now we know the actual height&width. At least I hope they are correct.

PS3 is 26,9x14,9 cm

Givent PS4 has the same width of 14,9cm, it would have a height of 15,9cm.

No guarantee, I just assume PS4 has the same width and I converted the 59,73x35,28cm size of the Killzone image.

Thoughts?

So, it looks like the template I made a while ago, based on placing the Killzone cover in it, was just under 5/32nds of an inch to big. Should I remake my few PS4 covers or would the 5/32nds not make much of a difference?

Hiteryan

Neo Member
Hurzelein, love your TLOU cover, I got no Photoshop experience, would it be possible for you (if it's not too much of a hassle) to make a version of the cover with the PS3 logo in white on the spine? And if possible, a small NaughtyDog logo on the corner?

Much like this:

622bg23100000e69b3g3.jpg

The contrast would make it look better on my shelf :p

hurzelein

Hurzelein, love your TLOU cover, I got no Photoshop experience, would it be possible for you (if it's not too much of a hassle) to make a version of the cover with the PS3 logo in white on the spine? And if possible, a small NaughtyDog logo on the corner?

Thanks, sure. Let me know if you want something changed!

Haven't printed it yet, hope it's not too dark. Had my laptop always on highest brightness and discovered that what looks good on it in highest setting is often much too dark after it is printed...

Hiteryan

Neo Member
Thanks, sure. Let me know if you want something changed!

Haven't printed it yet, hope it's not too dark. Had my laptop always on highest brightness and discovered that what looks good on it in highest setting is often much too dark after it is printed...
It's perfect, thank you!

I'll post it here after I get it printed, as well as my other covers. Probably will only have time next week. Once again thanks for taking the time :)

dubq

So, my WWE2K14 game came with a print error (no game name on the spine). I decided to make a simple replacement cover based on an idea I saw someone on CAWS.ws had done. Took me a while to track down the original photo of the Shield together in high-res, but I found it eventually! Anyway, see below. I haven't printed it yet, fwiw.

RedSwirl

Took a look at Xbox One and PS4 boxes at GameStop.

The Xbox One case art might be the exact same size as a Blu-Ray case art (maybe that's already confirmed somewhere?). I compared it to a PS3 box and it looked basically the same sized except the spine on the Xbox One case was slightly thinner. The PS4 case is basically the same size as a PS3 case, but the case art takes up more space, being taller. So, for PS4 we're probably gonna need to come up with a new template, but for Xbox One we might be able to get away with modifying a standard Blu-Ray template.

hurzelein

Interesting! Would be amazing if someone could find official sizes of the cover or if someone already has a Ps4/One game measure the exact lenghts and width, especially the spine.

I'm running out of space for all my games and Blu Rays and am seriously considering just buying up a shitload of standard CD jewel cases as they're smaller than DVD cases.

My GF doesn't like the idea, and to be honest I'm not too thrilled either, but I have 2 huge bookcases filled with Xbox, Xbox360, PS2, PS3, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, DS and 3DS games, and another one just for Blu Rays and the shelves are not only full, but I've had to stack stuff in the small space between the top of the cases and the bottom of the shelf above.

Spare cases are dirt cheap if you get them from the right place (I like to use these guys - www.rivieramultimedia.co.uk), but there's a severe lack of slim Blu Ray cases.

Anyone wanna talk me out of it?

Kansoku

I'm running out of space for all my games and Blu Rays and am seriously considering just buying up a shitload of standard CD jewel cases as they're smaller than DVD cases.

My GF doesn't like the idea, and to be honest I'm not too thrilled either, but I have 2 huge bookcases filled with Xbox, Xbox360, PS2, PS3, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, DS and 3DS games, and another one just for Blu Rays and the shelves are not only full, but I've had to stack stuff in the small space between the top of the cases and the bottom of the shelf above.

Spare cases are dirt cheap if you get them from the right place (I like to use these guys - www.rivieramultimedia.co.uk), but there's a severe lack of slim Blu Ray cases.

I was actually thinking of doing it too, but I gave up because the lack of (good) spines on CD cases and the fact that I would stack them, it would be a pain in the ass to get to the game I want. + I would have to store manuals and stuff in another place.

vvise

I did something like this last year and bulk ordered a huge amount of cases. UPS dropped the shipment off in-front of my house without a sig and someone stole the package. I never ended up getting it back, it was divine intervention.

Then Zellers went under and I bought a PlayStation commercial video games display case for $150. Game storage problem solved.

I hope you get a clear answer like I did.

cafemomo

thank you

side note, I printed so many covers at my local staples that they offered me a job to work at the print & copy center.

a nice side job on the weekends + covers all day erryday and all thanks to this thread.

Wizball

Neo Member
I think there have been no AC4 covers yet.

So here's a very clean and calm design I made for the very beautiful PS3 version of the game. I'm having such a blast with it right now, just had to make this. :)

Enjoy.

Wizball

Edit: Dropbox Images don't show? :-/
NqwmPYt.jpg

RedSwirl

Edit: Actually, does anybody know the pixel dimensions of the front, back, and spine of a 3DS box art individually? The current template doesn't separate between them at all.

Edit 2: The front and back seem to be exactly the same as the dimensions for the original DS. The Spine is just thinner.

RedSwirl

This is a test for an Xbox One minimal template. I'm not sure at all if this is the actual right size. So, if anyone in this thread is getting an Xbox One (I'm not) it'd be nice if you printed this out and tested it. Make sure to keep it at 300 pixels per inch when printing.

I pretty much just borrowed one of the cover arts from VGBoxArt and then cut it to make the minimal version. I had to personally resize it to 300ppi, then bring it back to its original pixel dimensions, which I'm not even sure were correct to begin with. From there I just estimated everything else.

I can't figure out a PS4 template yet because I don't know what it's dimensions are. And I can't rip one from VGBA because they use different resolutions than what we've been using in this thread. Somebody really needs to solve that mystery.

Blowdrum

Neo Member
Interesting! Would be amazing if someone could find official sizes of the cover or if someone already has a Ps4/One game measure the exact lenghts and width, especially the spine.
I can't figure out a PS4 template yet because I don't know what it's dimensions are.... Somebody really needs to solve that mystery.
Just did the measurements for the PS4 cover.

The entire cover is 27.3cm x 16cm. The spine is 1.3cm thick.

_machine

Probably a bit too many requests, but I'd be super happy if someone were to make covers for the PS3 versions of Skate 3 (preferably with the same spine text in the same spot as this), Sega Rally and Midnight Club LA with the clean spine

RedSwirl

That's pretty close to my PS4 template. I had it at 27.31cm x 16.14cm with a 1.45cm spine. (I'd just based the spine width off the PS3's)

I made the spine a bit thinner, so this one should work:

Here's the updated template.

Yeah, when I eyed it at GameStop the spine was definitely thinner than the PS3 spine.

Edit: Well if one of you guys actually has PS4 cases in your possession, couldn't you just print out a blank one and test it to see if it fits?

Zajora

Would anyone be able to make a minimalist Wii U cover for Super Luigi Bros? I would really appreciate it!

What do you think of these?

Edit: Well if one of you guys actually has PS4 cases in your possession, couldn't you just print out a blank one and test it to see if it fits?

If anyone wants to give it a shot, here is a blank white PS4 cover with black borders to make it easier to tell if the spine is the right width.

\
New%20Super%20Luigi%20Bros%20U%20(2).jpgsmall.png
[/url]

If anyone wants to give it a shot, here is a blank white PS4 cover with black borders to make it easier to tell if the spine is the right width.

Really digging this one. As for the blank template, I'll see if I can print it out later and stick it in one of my boxes.

As for the Xbox One cases, I compared an actual, non place holder box to a blu ray case and it looks like they are the same size except the Xbox One cases are squared.

Blowdrum

Neo Member
Yeah, when I eyed it at GameStop the spine was definitely thinner than the PS3 spine.

I just did it. The cover fits quite nicely. (I lost some quality on the first image during the upload process. I have no idea why.)
UpzVbf5l.jpg

mmcpaNRl.jpg
\
gMA2jCNl.jpg

Grief.exe

Makes it easy to make these covers when Nintendo just releases such high-res source material.

Usually we have to go digging around wallpaper sites and try to deduce whether they are upscaled or not.

RedSwirl

Makes it easy to make these covers when Nintendo just releases such high-res source material.

Usually we have to go digging around wallpaper sites and try to deduce whether they are upscaled or not.

Zelda in particular has been incredibly easy since I stumbled upon History of Hyrule's Flickr. Literally thousands of high-res images of old Zelda art.

I love custom covers but never slipped them into my PS3 games. That's going to change with my physical PS4 library from here on tho, so I'm looking forward to seeing what comes down the line!

Top Bottom