• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

repost for not being burried as last post of previous page : I have a request and I know it will be a bit of work but gaf never cease to amaze me so I give it a shot. A friend is a huge fan of the Atelier series and we kept jocking at how young and inexperience the new Lara Croft is in the last Tomb Raider so when I found this artwork of moe Lara I had to make something of it.

7oxQKIo.png

Full res here : http://i.imgur.com/zAHRlNy.jpg

The idea is to make a custom cover for the last TR with this artwork and the traditional Atelier logo but with the new titles to fit TR like : Atelier Lara: The Adventurer of the Solar Goddess' Island

Meruru_LOGO.jpg

Atelier_Rorona_logo.jpg

Yep, I know its a huge request but if anyone if up to the challenge. (PS3 btw)

okay Wolfgang Jr that last one was more SS than WW but really, they're all really tight work, good job man! keep em coming!

Thanks man; I haven't done custom covers for years, so it's great to get back into it :)

I'm not really sure on the edge title for The Wind Waker; I'm going to keep them uniform with that font and size, so obviously not all titles are going to fit. I'm not 100% happy with "LoZ: The Wind Waker HD", but "Zelda: The Wind Waker HD" is too big. Maybe just "The Wind Waker HD"; everyone already knows it's Zelda anyway.

Zajora

I added all the newly posted covers to the Dropbox.

Alright then, don't mess with the #1 request. :)

As for the back cover, here's the comparison between the original image that I downloaded and the one I saved after modifying the colors a bit:

The original file I got from the net is the one on the left. The only step I took to get the image on the right is this: I opened the image in Irfanview, went to "color correction", substracted 7 points to both the green and red values, and added 7 points to the blue one. The image you provided, however, has even more green in it (I am unsure as to the red). Maybe you'll have to add and substract higher values to get the image I got. Please try to make it look as close as the image on the right here, as I thought I had gotten something with the right color balance; the colors not too warm nor too cold, but colder than warmer. The film is called Blue Is The Warmest Color, after all. ;)

In any case, thank you for your work. Don't worry about time. You concentrate on your exams. The film isn't coming out until mid-February anyway.

edit: on second thought, the colors on the front cover seem colder than the one on the back (that you provided). Before trying to make the back cover similar to the one I whipped up, could you try making it similar in tone to the front cover ? Maybe look at the skin tones from both Léas as a measure ? The important detail is that there shouldn't be any red or green noticeable in Léa's hair on the back cover. Again, sorry for being super anal about this. I appreciate your work. :)

Alright, attempt #2:

Something seems to be a bit wonky with the colour profiles on my monitors. The back image looks too red to me, but I'm not sure if that's just a problem on my end.

Something seems to be a bit wonky with the colour profiles on my monitors. The back image looks too red to me, but I'm not sure if that's just a problem on my end.

No you're right. There's more red and the image is also darker, as if it was running on the Xbox One (lol). The blacks are crushed and it doesn't look natural.

Do you absolutely need the higher resolution file ? I find the one I provided to be the most appropriate. I think it being of a lower resolution wouldn't really be noticeable when printed, no ?

Zajora

No you're right. There's more red and the image is also darker, as if it was running on the Xbox One (lol). The blacks are crushed and it doesn't look natural.

Do you absolutely need the higher resolution file ? I find the one I provided to be the most appropriate. I think it being of a lower resolution wouldn't really be noticeable when printed, no ?

Do you just mean darker in the preview? That might just be because of the shadow to make it look 3D.

Regardless, I replaced the preview/cover with a new version including your changes to the back. The upscaling probably won't be noticeable since the images are sort of artistically low quality.

Do you just mean darker in the preview? That might just be because of the shadow to make it look 3D.

No I meant the actual image. It suffered from crushed blacks, enough that the eyes were hard to see.

Regardless, I replaced the preview/cover with a new version including your changes to the back. The upscaling probably won't be noticeable since the images are sort of artistically low quality.

This looks better ! But there's a little bit too much contrast. Compare the two:

Notice how the image on the left has more natural colors. The skin in particular, and the hair is less dark. Could you try to make it more like that ? (I'm only talking about the back cover ! The front is perfect, don't touch it !)

note: damn, it's weird. The image doesn't look the same when opened with my Mac's preview. It has more yellow. I'll take Chrome as displaying the real thing. :/

Zajora

No I meant the actual image. It suffered from crushed blacks, enough that the eyes were hard to see.

This looks better ! But there's a little bit too much contrast. Compare the two:

Notice how the image on the left has more natural colors. The skin in particular, and the hair is less dark. Could you try to make it more like that ? (I'm only talking about the back cover ! The front is perfect, don't touch it !)

note: damn, it's weird. The image doesn't look the same when opened with my Mac's preview. It has more yellow. I'll take Chrome as displaying the real thing. :/

I think I figured out the problem. The Blu Ray template I based the dimensions off was in CYMK instead of RGB. It also had a weird colour profile. I replaced the file in the Dropbox. Is this any better?

I think I figured out the problem. The Blu Ray template I based the dimensions off was in CYMK instead of RGB. It also had a weird colour profile. I replaced the file in the Dropbox. Is this any better?

YES ! It's perfect ! :)

Thank you very much, my friend. You've made a man happy.

You're contribution to this thread has been more than stellar. You should have a tag as a reward. Had I been a mod I would have given it to you.

Thanks again. You rock. :)

Zajora

YES ! It's perfect ! :)

Thank you very much, my friend. You've made a man happy.

You're contribution to this thread has been more than stellar. You should have a tag as a reward. Had I been a mod I would have given it to you.

Thanks again. You rock. :)

Glad you like it!

repost for not being burried as last post of previous page : I have a request and I know it will be a bit of work but gaf never cease to amaze me so I give it a shot. A friend is a huge fan of the Atelier series and we kept jocking at how young and inexperience the new Lara Croft is in the last Tomb Raider so when I found this artwork of moe Lara I had to make something of it.

7oxQKIo.png

Full res here : http://i.imgur.com/zAHRlNy.jpg

The idea is to make a custom cover for the last TR with this artwork and the traditional Atelier logo but with the new titles to fit TR like : Atelier Lara: The Adventurer of the Solar Goddess' Island

Meruru_LOGO.jpg

Atelier_Rorona_logo.jpg

Yep, I know its a huge request but if anyone if up to the challenge. (PS3 btw)

Well, now that Gaf is back up..

That logo took longer than I'd like to admit. ;0

I've been wanting to ask: why is it that when we print those, they come out with the right dimensions, despite the files being of a higher resolution ? When I printed a batch last year, they nearly all came out right; only two or three had the cover zoomed-in with parts of the image cut off.

Zajora

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77336523&postcount=2362

Could we get this posted to the OP? Seems everyone is looking but it's really hard to find. Cheers :)

I've been making a bunch of templates with a consistent style for awhile now. I originally had planned for some kind of logical repository for them, but it might be a good idea to get them all in one place. Some of them are heavily based on other people's templates with only slight modifications.

Just for reference, here are the various templates and their sizes. (All at 300 PPI)

WOW you are my new god

Glad you're happy with it. :)

I've been wanting to ask: why is it that when we print those, they come out with the right dimensions, despite the files being of a higher resolution ? When I printed a batch last year, they nearly all came out right; only two or three had the cover zoomed-in with parts of the image cut off.

Which covers printed incorrectly? My guess is a mismatch between the PPI and the pixel dimensions.

Which covers printed incorrectly? My guess is a mismatch between the PPI and the pixel dimensions.

I don't recall, it was last year. But why do they usually come out right ? I don't understand why files with such large dimensions come out printed in the correct size of a blu-ray cover. :/

I don't recall, it was last year. But why do they usually come out right ? I don't understand why files with such large dimensions come out printed in the correct size of a blu-ray cover. :/

Because the printing dimensions are set in the PSD file. You can then change the PPI (pixels per inch) to whatever you want; the higher number the more detail you can add in (therefore higher file sizes) per inch.

Laymans terms, Lower PPI = Blurrier, less detail, lower file size. Higher PPI - sharper, more detail, higher file size.

Whatever the printing size is set at is is what size it prints at; the higher the dimensions within the file, the more detail you can get it to print at :)

Because the printing dimensions are set in the PSD file. You can then change the PPI (pixels per inch) to whatever you want; the higher number the more detail you can add in (therefore higher file sizes) per inch.

Laymans terms, Lower PPI = Blurrier, less detail, lower file size. Higher PPI - sharper, more detail, higher file size.

Whatever the printing size is set at is is what size it prints at; the higher the dimensions within the file, the more detail you can get it to print at :)

Ah, I see. Thanks.

What is the PSD file and how can I access it ? I still have those cover files from last year; I could find the ones that printed wrongly.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

What is the PSD file and how can I access it ? I still have those cover files from last year; I could find the ones that printed wrongly.

The PSD file is the original file produced by Adobe Photoshop; it contains all the applied filters, adjustments and layers required to export the file picture file: eg. jpg, bmp, png etc.

If you have Photoshop, you can just adjust the image's printable dimensions in there and try printing it again.

_machine

Anyone mind up doing a simple Skate 3 PS3 Cover? I'll print up a new batch on the christmas break and it'd be nice to have a proper cover for the game as it's one of my favorites on the platform.

nillapuddin

I am pretty much in love with the Xbox One game cases, a part of me wants to completely buck logic and reason and move my entire collection into Xbox One game cases someday.

Not soon mind you, or even in the foreseeable future, but its a pipe dream of mine.

How do y'all think I would go about it?

I remember my friend would always buy cheap 360 games and return them to GameStop without the case when he needed a replacement.

But it will be a very long time til any trade ins on next gen games would be reasonable to take a hit on, even still.

I don't believe I will be buying any more games on disc... ever, which exacerbates the issue. Any thoughts?

Edit: also, is there still an ongoing repository for our covers. just wondering if my Halo suite will have an ever present home in the thread

Zajora

I am pretty much in love with the Xbox One game cases, a part of me wants to completely buck logic and reason and move my entire collection into Xbox One game cases someday.

Not soon mind you, or even in the foreseeable future, but its a pipe dream of mine.

How do y'all think I would go about it?

I remember my friend would always buy cheap 360 games and return them to GameStop without the case when he needed a replacement.

But it will be a very long time til any trade ins on next gen games would be reasonable to take a hit on, even still.

I don't believe I will be buying any more games on disc... ever, which exacerbates the issue. Any thoughts?

Edit: also, is there still an ongoing repository for our covers. just wondering if my Halo suite will have an ever present home in the thread

You can usually buy empty cases in bulk on various different online shops. I doubt any of them are selling X1 cases yet, but they probably will be eventually.

Yes, I'm still updating the dropbox backup. Demosthenes added a quote with a link & explanation to the top of the OP:

Here is a link to the Dropbox backup I created. It contains all covers that I was able to download (that had working links) from both the Custom Cover Art thread and the original PS3 redesign thread.

To get to the full size covers, go to "Custom Covers/[System of your choice]/Large". The "Small" folders are for the 3D Box Previews. "Printed Covers" is for pictures people have taken of the covers from this thread that they've printed.

To download the full resolution of a cover, click the thumbnail/filename, then right click it and select "Download". Although Dropbox will display a scaled preview, the file you download will be full size.

It is possible to change the view between the thumbnail grid and detail view of filenames with this button:

jP52EX1k0xVpL.PNG

The detail view is useful to find particular games within the folder for systems with large numbers of covers, since you can use Ctrl+F to search for a particular games.

All covers in the Dropbox should be correctly named with their corresponding game, in JPEG format, and tagged with their author. If you notice a cover that has incorrect metadata or is a duplicate, please PM me, Zajora. If you notice a cover that was created by a member and posted in one of the threads but is not included in the Dropbox, please let me know. :)

Also: Please do not link directly to any covers in the Dropbox. I can't guarantee that I won't change the folder organization or the filename, which would lead to a broken link.

nillapuddin

You can usually buy empty cases in bulk on various different online shops. I doubt any of them are selling X1 cases yet, but they probably will be eventually.

Good business, Its probably awhile out, but I will always make an effort to keep my Halo/Metal Gear/Metroid games in cases, on the shelf, even if they are empty lol

Yes, I'm still updating the dropbox backup. Demosthenes added a quote with a link & explanation to the top of the OP:

Cool, yall do enough work, not meaning to bug ya

Zajora did some excellent work on covers, on top of building that dropbox backup. He cannot be thanked enough. Mods should absolutely give him a tag, linking to the dropbox backup. :)

Question: wouldn't it be better for covers to be created and saved in .PNG instead of .JPG ? I thought .PNG was the ".flac" format for pictures (i.e.: lossless compression) ?

Zajora

Question: wouldn't it be better for covers to be created and saved in .PNG instead of .JPG ? I thought .PNG was the ".flac" format for pictures (i.e.: lossless compression) ?

PNG is indeed losless, but just like flac files are often too large.

The Dropbox has a limited amount of storage. It starts at 2GB, and increases as you do things like refer other people. Right now it has 4.38GB, which was basically entirely used up before I went through and re-saved all PNG covers as JPEGs. (Right now it's at 2.6GB used)

There's also not really any difference between a high quality JPEG and a PNG when it's at a printable resolution, but there are huge file size savings. In general, the covers would go from a 15MB PNG to a 0.5MB JPEG, which I think makes it worthwhile.

firebird06

Neo Member
Been a while on this thread fellas, but I need some assistance. Where would someone go to find a cheap but true copy of a reliable image editor to deal with making covers? If it is especially good with photos, all the better.

Zajora

Been a while on this thread fellas, but I need some assistance. Where would someone go to find a cheap but true copy of a reliable image editor to deal with making covers? If it is especially good with photos, all the better.

Photoshop would be ideal, but alternatively the free program called Gimp would work. I believe it also has the ability to open PSD files (which is the format for all the templates)

Here you go Son of D. I'm pretty happy how this new one turned out - hope you like it :)

EDIT: Sorry, the cut-outs are pretty poor - I'll try to re-do them cleaner a bit later when I have some more time.

3bdelilah

Banned
Does anybody by chance have a dual cover for Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask? Basically I'd like a GameCube cover for the Zelda Collector's Edition (with the first TLoZ, Zelda II, OoT and MM), because the stock one is butt ugly.

I'm easy to please, but the cover should just focus on Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, with maybe just a small mentioning on the front like "includes The Legend of Zelda and Zelda II: Adventure of Link". Also if it isn't too much to ask, I'd really like a front cover for OoT and MM that really "clicks" together so to speak, like they belong with each other, in stead of two separate feelings. I've got something pretty sweet in mind, but it's kinda hard to put in on text. This is what I got: http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/3074/ra0i.png. Note that I did this just for the structure, it's not like I'm going to print this hideous thing I made in 15 minutes. :p

Do please use your own creativity, you don't have to use exactly the same pictures or with those specific instruction, but I'd appreciate it if the structure is kinda like that one. A blank template can be downloaded here, credit to Sarashi from VGboxart. I had to say it, otherwise he'd eat my soul, lol.

vvise

ill be back to make some PS3 covers soon and restore the balance. I have a stack of JRPGs but it takes time to get through them :p

Top Bottom