• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

Grief.exe

Where is the best place to buy a single PS3 case?

I am going to pick up the PS3 Black Friday Bundle with Arkham Origins and Last of Us. Apparently those games come in sleeves and I want to have Last of Us in a case, going to just turn around and sell AO.

vvise

I am going to pick up the PS3 Black Friday Bundle with Arkham Origins and Last of Us. Apparently those games come in sleeves and I want to have Last of Us in a case, going to just turn around and sell AO.

PS3 sized cases are a little tricky, I think someone on amazon sells small quantity orders (like 3 or 5) if i remember correctly. I haven't checked in a few months though.

Grief.exe

PS3 sized cases are a little tricky, I think someone on amazon sells small quantity orders (like 3 or 5) if i remember correctly. I haven't checked in a few months though.

Maybe I will just use my MGS4 case since I will no longer be needing it as I have the legacy collection.

GusRocket

Neo Member
Hi Guys,

I just want to show you guys some of my custom cover arts.

I have more than 60 custom cover created and printed.

I also create a back cover art so when the box is opened, we can see a nice picture inside.

You'll also notice that every custom cover I create has the developer logo in the bottom left, I think it's a nice way to see who has created the game you are playing.

Below you'll find some of my work. I hope you all like it.

Assassin's Creed III

Front:
Z1Pdfee.jpg

Back:
xzFa6Eg.png

Bioshock Infinite

Front:
iNqageI.jpg

Back:
dz6Ab81.png

Deus EX Human Revolution

Front:
BybR8lE.png

Back:
j6SKyex.jpg

God of War Ascension

Front:
roOiTNu.jpg

Back:
EQCRc3i.jpg

Gran Turismo 6

Front:
h5Wo0iz.png

Back:
gZwe0n6.jpg

GTA V

Front:
DV4vuZG.png

Back:
CpYmMWG.jpg

The Last of Us

Front:
7qKSyMU.jpg

Back:
jRmBogn.jpg

JDHarbs

I didn't know where else to ask this, but does anyone know where I could find printable versions of the original TLoU and Arkham Origins covers? I bought the PS3 bundle last night and the games came in some cardboard sleeves instead of cases. I'd like to purchase some cases and print off the covers to keep them in instead.

Grief.exe

I didn't know where else to ask this, but does anyone know where I could find printable versions of the original TLoU and Arkham Origins covers? I bought the PS3 bundle last night and the games came in some cardboard sleeves instead of cases. I'd like to purchase some cases and print off the covers to keep them in instead.

Read that OP. right at the top.

Zajora

Yeah, this thread isn't for original covers. I'd recommend you check out The Cover Project which has a lot of scans of different covers.

That is exactly what I am looking for Zajora, that looks so low res though.

Oops, meant to edit that in to my other post.

Well, here is another attempt. It's still not great, I can't really find any good source material for this, all the scans are really terrible quality. (Not to mention covered in text and stickers and crap)

hurzelein

Well, here is another attempt. It's still not great, I can't really find any good source material for this, all the scans are really terrible quality. (Not to mention covered in text and stickers and crap)

That should absolutely be big enough for the front! If not, just make the black borders a little bit bigger the the image in the middle would be smaller = resolution would be less of a problem.

Grief.exe

Thanks for the help Zajora, I just want to say I'm not hating on you or I don't appreciate your work when I say something negative about a graphic you have found for me.

That looks very upscaled though

That should absolutely be big enough for the front! If not, just make the black borders a little bit bigger the the image in the middle would be smaller = resolution would be less of a problem.

Ya, that's what I would do.

JDHarbs

Oh *original. Ya we don't care about Original covers.

Google can help you though

Where are you getting your extra PS3 cases? I got that same bundle last night as well!
That one might work. The OP had a link to extra cases on Amazon. I'm probably going to head over to my local Micro Center and see if they have any. I remember seeing Xbox cases there so I'm hoping they got PS3 as well.

Yeah, this thread isn't for original covers. I'd recommend you check out The Cover Project which has a lot of scans of different covers.
I checked it out, but the site didn't have either one.

Zajora

That looks very upscaled though

That's because it is. Since I couldn't find any scans that were high quality, I upscaled the previous one and tried to sharpen it using parts of the best scan I could find.

Didn't turn out very well, unfortunately. here is probably the best scan, and even that's not very good.

You just need to find someone with the game and an amazing scanner. :p

Grief.exe

That's because it is. Since I couldn't find any scans that were high quality, I upscaled the previous one and tried to sharpen it using parts of the best scan I could find.

Didn't turn out very well, unfortunately. here is probably the best scan, and even that's not very good.

You just need to find someone with the game and an amazing scanner. :p

Then I have to take all of the writing off which will ruin it.

The white PS4 icons are a little bit irritating imo, most of the cover ist black-yellowish, white has a strong contrast. But I dunno if black would look better, maybe white is the thing to go. Overall looking good!
what i think could look cool is to match the ps4 icons to the same shade as the infamous logo and then kinda do like the black box type thing around it.

patcrazystar64

Neo Member
Are there any European or UK gamers here that could possibly scan the reversible covers of both the Wind Waker HD: LE and A Link Between Worlds? Would love to have these versions on my cases.

Mista Koo

Inspired by the KH box arts posted a while ago, I wanted to give other series similar treatments that makes them look more like a box set.

I tried to start with Assassin's Creed but I'm a little stuck:
I like the second design more, but the colors don't quite work. Any ideas?
I tried other colors but it didn't feel like AC anymore. I feel like white is the series trademark color.

Could one of you whip up a custom cover for a blu-ray film ? Does a template exist ? There's a movie coming out in a couple of months and I'd very much like a custom cover.

Zajora

Could one of you whip up a custom cover for a blu-ray film ? Does a template exist ? There's a movie coming out in a couple of months and I'd very much like a custom cover.

I could give it a shot.

Here's a Blu Ray template I found on Deviantart. Is that what you had in mind?

It looks like the dimensions are virtually identical to that of the PS3 template, so I could always just add a Blu Ray logo to that, instead of having all that extra stuff that person included in their template.

Yeah something like that, but I thought the middle part (what ends up being the "side" of the case) was thinner ? Cases for blu-ray films are thinner, after all. Maybe that template is fine though; what do I know. :/

Yeah, only keeping the blu-ray logo is fine, but only on the side (spine) of the case. I do not want any logos on neither the back nor front.

If you'd be so kind as to work on my commission, here is the material with which you will work, and the instructions I would like you to follow. I am unsure how difficult of a task it will be as you'll need to use photoshop or a similar software, but please try your best.

Above is the front of the case. I would like to see all of the text disappear, except for the name of the actresses seen at the top. The text under the two ladies might pose a bit of a problem as the background fluctuates from white to gray unevenly, but I've seen your magic before and I'm sure you can patch it up so it doesn't look photoshopped at all.

Here's the logo I want in place of the text under the ladies' chins. It is the original French title of the film without any background, which should make it easy to put on top of any other image. Here's what I want you to do with it. Insert it somewhere under the ladies' chins where the german text used to be. Meddle with its size to get something that is not too big nor too small, and that respects some sort of symmetry. What I mean by that is the distance between the title and the left border should be around the same as the one between the title and the right woman's neck, and the same thing for the distances between the title and the left woman's chin and the one between the title and the bottom border. In other words, the title should be placed where it looks natural.

Here's the back cover. I want all of the text to disappear from it. It might prove difficult, what with the shades of skin being varied, but please try to make it look natural. If it proves to be impossible, do tell me and I'll try to find something else for the back.

As for the spine, I want the French title to be at its center, with the blu-ray logo untouched from the template at the top. As for the background, I guess you could fill it with the grey-ish white from the space near Léa's mouth and nose on the back cover, so that the back cover and the spine blend and converge naturally. Or maybe you could take the grey-ish black from the bottom left of the front cover. Whatever looks more natural and beautiful.

Here's a nearly blank case as seen from a "3D perspective". Once you're done, could you put your finished work on it so I can get a feel for how it would look in real life ? You can use another one if you already have some; I'm just trying to make your work easier.

I've done a google image search of these images and got the best "versions" that I could find. I've even modified the wanted back cover so its colors were colder. You guys have proven in the past to be way better at finding material on the net than me, so you are welcome to do a search yourself. If you do find something, please post it here so I can get a look at it.

I apologize in advance for being extremely specific and anal about this. It's just that I am completely batshit obsessed with this film, and I would like a blu-ray case cover for it that is as high-art and pristine as the content of the film itself.

Thank you very much !

I know this isn't about covers but does anyone know how to go about making labels for cartridges? I just bought a copy of Pokemon Leaf Green and it had no label. Any suggestions?

JoshHood

Inspired by the KH box arts posted a while ago, I wanted to give other series similar treatments that makes them look more like a box set.

I tried to start with Assassin's Creed but I'm a little stuck:

I like the second design more, but the colors don't quite work. Any ideas?
I tried other colors but it didn't feel like AC anymore. I feel like white is the series trademark color.

Damn those are nice - I tried to do something similar before but couldn't quite get them to work either. I'd also found gold easiest to work with for Revelations art work. I'd suggest maybe a pale blue for III, and a red for either II or Brotherhood, maybe just different tones. Brown would likely work best with the environmental artwork for Liberation, and probably a deep blue for IV.

Zajora

Yeah something like that, but I thought the middle part (what ends up being the "side" of the case) was thinner ? Cases for blu-ray films are thinner, after all. Maybe that template is fine though; what do I know. :/

Yeah, only keeping the blu-ray logo is fine, but only on the side (spine) of the case. I do not want any logos on neither the back nor front.

If you'd be so kind as to work on my commission, here is the material with which you will work, and the instructions I would like you to follow. I am unsure how difficult of a task it will be as you'll need to use photoshop or a similar software, but please try your best.

Above is the front of the case. I would like to see all of the text disappear, except for the name of the actresses seen at the top. The text under the two ladies might pose a bit of a problem as the background fluctuates from white to gray unevenly, but I've seen your magic before and I'm sure you can patch it up so it doesn't look photoshopped at all.

Here's the logo I want in place of the text under the ladies' chins. It is the original French title of the film without any background, which should make it easy to put on top of any other image. Here's what I want you to do with it. Insert it somewhere under the ladies' chins where the german text used to be. Meddle with its size to get something that is not too big nor too small, and that respects some sort of symmetry. What I mean by that is the distance between the title and the left border should be around the same as the one between the title and the right woman's neck, and the same thing for the distances between the title and the left woman's chin and the one between the title and the bottom border. In other words, the title should be placed where it looks natural.

Here's the back cover. I want all of the text to disappear from it. It might prove difficult, what with the shades of skin being varied, but please try to make it look natural. If it proves to be impossible, do tell me and I'll try to find something else for the back.

As for the spine, I want the French title to be at its center, with the blu-ray logo untouched from the template at the top. As for the background, I guess you could fill it with the grey-ish white from the space near Léa's mouth and nose on the back cover, so that the back cover and the spine blend and converge naturally. Or maybe you could take the grey-ish black from the bottom left of the front cover. Whatever looks more natural and beautiful.

Here's a nearly blank case as seen from a "3D perspective". Once you're done, could you put your finished work on it so I can get a feel for how it would look in real life ? You can use another one if you already have some; I'm just trying to make your work easier.

I've done a google image search of these images and got the best "versions" that I could find. I've even modified the wanted back cover so its colors were colder. You guys have proven in the past to be way better at finding material on the net than me, so you are welcome to do a search yourself. If you do find something, please post it here so I can get a look at it.

I apologize in advance for being extremely specific and anal about this. It's just that I am completely batshit obsessed with this film, and I would like a blu-ray case cover for it that is as high-art and pristine as the content of the film itself.

Thank you very much !

What a specific request!

I should really be studying for an exam right now, but this took a bit longer than I was expecting (Mostly on the 3D box part, I think)

The box converter is still a bit messed up but I have an exam in a few hours and I should really be preparing, so I'll fix that later.

What a specific request!

I should really be studying for an exam right now, but this took a bit longer than I was expecting (Mostly on the 3D box part, I think)

The box converter is still a bit messed up but I have an exam in a few hours and I should really be preparing, so I'll fix that later.

Wow, thanks a lot ! I'm sure you worked hard on it, so thank you very much.

That said, here's three little corrections I would like:
1. the front cover is zoomed-in a little, which makes it that part of the image is cut off at the top and bottom. Is it because you had to resize it without messing with the ratio ? If yes, then it's fine. I don't want the image to be distorted, after all. If not, could it be fixed ?
2. did you use the back cover that I provided ? The modified one you provided has more green and red colors than it should. Compare it to the image from my request post, where the colors are colder. Could it be fixed ? Could you make the back cover look like the one I provided, please ?
3. There's still a little bit of blue text on Léa's back on the back cover, near her neck and chin. Could it be fixed ?

I don't want to undermine the work that you've done. The place where the text used to be on the front cover is beautiful and no one could tell that it's been modified; same for Léa's back skin on the back cover. I also very much like that you used part of the front cover for the spine. Beautiful. Thank you for this !

edit: if the 3D box part is what took a lot of time, then don't waste your time with it. The cover is really what I want, and seeing it flat as seen when clicking on the box is more than satisfactory.

Zajora

Wow, thanks a lot ! I'm sure you worked hard on it, so thank you very much.

That said, here's three little corrections I would like:
1. the front cover is zoomed-in a little, which makes it that part of the image is cut off at the top and bottom. Is it because you had to resize it without messing with the ratio ? If yes, then it's fine. I don't want the image to be distorted, after all. If not, could it be fixed ?
2. did you use the back cover that I provided ? It has more green and red colors than it should. Compare it to the image from my request post, where the colors are colder. Could it be fixed ?
3. There's still a little bit of blue text on Léa's back on the back cover, near her neck and chin. Could it be fixed ?

I don't want to undermine the work that you've done. The place where the text used to be on the front cover is beautiful and no one could tell that it's been modified; same for Léa's back skin on the back cover. I also very much like that you used part of the front cover for the spine. Beautiful. Thank you for this !

edit: if the 3D box part is what took a lot of time, then don't waste your time with it. The cover is really what I want, and seeing it flat as seen below is more than satisfactory.

No problem,

1) It has to be cut off like that in order to preserve the aspect ratio. It could be less zoomed out if there was something else on the spine, but I don't think that would look as good.

2) I found a higher resolution version, but I hadn't realized you'd made changes. I'll see if I can approximate what you changed.

3) Yeah, I just noticed that myself. That's an easy fix.

It might be a bit before I'm able to make these changes though. (I probably shouldn't have worked on it this morning, heh)

No problem,

1) It has to be cut off like that in order to preserve the aspect ratio. It could be less zoomed out if there was something else on the spine, but I don't think that would look as good.

2) I found a higher resolution version, but I hadn't realized you'd made changes. I'll see if I can approximate what you changed.

3) Yeah, I just noticed that myself. That's an easy fix.

It might be a bit before I'm able to make these changes though. (I probably shouldn't have worked on it this morning, heh)

Alright then, don't mess with the #1 request. :)

As for the back cover, here's the comparison between the original image that I downloaded and the one I saved after modifying the colors a bit:

The original file I got from the net is the one on the left. The only step I took to get the image on the right is this: I opened the image in Irfanview, went to "color correction", substracted 7 points to both the green and red values, and added 7 points to the blue one. The image you provided, however, has even more green in it (I am unsure as to the red). Maybe you'll have to add and substract higher values to get the image I got. Please try to make it look as close as the image on the right here, as I thought I had gotten something with the right color balance; the colors not too warm nor too cold, but colder than warmer. The film is called Blue Is The Warmest Color, after all. ;)

In any case, thank you for your work. Don't worry about time. You concentrate on your exams. The film isn't coming out until mid-February anyway.

edit: on second thought, the colors on the front cover seem colder than the one on the back (that you provided). Before trying to make the back cover similar to the one I whipped up, could you try making it similar in tone to the front cover ? Maybe look at the skin tones from both Léas as a measure ? The important detail is that there shouldn't be any red or green noticeable in Léa's hair on the back cover. Again, sorry for being super anal about this. I appreciate your work. :)

CronusofASoul

Neo Member
My first contribution! I hope it comes across well.

Zero Escape - Virtue's Last Reward (3DS):

The front cover of the original was fairly fine as is, I just wanted to remove most of the text and other logos. Still not sure where to put the Zero Escape emblem though...

As for the back cover, The manual of the game has a nice compilation of the cast on the back of it, and I really liked how it would work for the case, so I used the press-kit available off the game's site (free, official, hi-res character PNGs!) and mocked up something similar to it.

I have a tiny issue though. One thing I really like about official 3DS covers is that the spine has a small image between the 3DS logo and the Title which shows the icon of the game as it appears on the system's menu. Anyone know where/how I can get my hands on decently sized pics of those?

Also, I want to do inner covers for the 3DS as well, but I'm having a hard time making my own template with locations of the little 'windows' in the case. Anyone have a ready-made template for those?

Zajora

zcs4hnysikiv8nyfg.jpg

The front cover of the original was fairly fine as is, I just wanted to remove most of the text and other logos. Still not sure where to put the Zero Escape emblem though...

As for the back cover, The manual of the game has a nice compilation of the cast on the back of it, and I really liked how it would work for the case, so I used the press-kit available off the game's site (free, official, hi-res character PNGs!) and mocked up something similar to it.

I have a tiny issue though. One thing I really like about official 3DS covers is that the spine has a small image between the 3DS logo and the Title which shows the icon of the game as it appears on the system's menu. Anyone know where/how I can get my hands on decently sized pics of those?

Also, I want to do inner covers for the 3DS as well, but I'm having a hard time making my own template with locations of the little 'windows' in the case. Anyone have a ready-made template for those?

The 3DS Template I made includes a layer with the inner windows.

RedSwirl

zcs4hnysikiv8nyfg.jpg

Are these the same case dimensions I used for that test Zelda cover? Has anyone confirmed those to fit?

RedSwirl

Didnt check your template, but just checked IRL, and my Blu Ray (Ninja Turtle Trilogy Pack) and my Xbox One (Battlefield 4) cover art's, are identical in dimensions.

That means we can pretty much just use the Blu-Ray template posted above. Someone just needs to change it for Xbox One imagery. It'd still be nice if someone tested the basic template I already have set up.

Grief.exe

zcs4hnysikiv8nyfg.jpg

That looks amazing.

AztecSoul

All right GAF, I don't post frequently here, but I decided to make a small contribution to this thread:

(click on the image to download)
I used the original 3SD template, with some help of the DS 3D cover script for the preview image.
Hope and you guys enjoy it!

hurzelein

I used the original 3SD template, with some help of the DS 3D cover script for the preview image.

Looks amazing! I very much like these "used" looks.

The spine left me chuckling though: I think you switched the title to the wrong side. The 3Ds logo is aligned to the right, the title to the left. Maybe you did this on purpose, but I have to say it looks a little bit weird :D

Mista Koo

Damn those are nice - I tried to do something similar before but couldn't quite get them to work either. I'd also found gold easiest to work with for Revelations art work. I'd suggest maybe a pale blue for III, and a red for either II or Brotherhood, maybe just different tones. Brown would likely work best with the environmental artwork for Liberation, and probably a deep blue for IV.
I tried using colors originally but:
  1. It ruined the idea that it's a box set or a shared theme.
  2. Any color beside white doesn't exactly represent the series.

The original plan was to have an Animus inspired background, though the only one I found was small. Might redraw it myself when I have time.

Have you never bought PSN cards? The boxes are the same.

Rafy

to anyone looking for cases look on amazon or ebay for Amaray bluray cases with a 14mm spine. They are bluray cases so they are blue instead of clear. I searched for PS4 ones, so far nothing.

Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0025KD5AU/

Transparent amaray bluray cases(not blue): http://www.mediaprostore.com/Amaray-Single-Blu-Ray-Case-Clear-25-Pack.html (EU only)

For you that are in the US, they are pretty cheap on ebay.

Also, could you please look on the inside of your PS4 game cases and see if there are any brand markings/logos?

RedSwirl

All right GAF, I don't post frequently here, but I decided to make a small contribution to this thread:

(click on the image to download)

That original template is based on the UK boxes I believe. I think the spine on that one is larger than what it's supposed to be for US boxes. We still haven't had one tested yet to see if it even fits on a US box.

JoshHood

I tried using colors originally but:
  1. It ruined the idea that it's a box set or a shared theme.
  2. Any color beside white doesn't exactly represent the series.

The original plan was to have an Animus inspired background, though the only one I found was small. Might redraw it myself when I have time.

Oh I agree! I meant for the colour of the banner stripe bit.

Top Bottom