• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Give us smooth, Give us silky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Do you guys think a GTX 660 Ti will be enough to max out this game? I was thinking about getting a 770 but would also like to hold on until the next series gets released before doing a big upgrade.

I have a 660ti as well and I'm expecting to crush this game's requirements. I run everything else on high/max so this should be a breeze.

As someone with a 570, I hope it runs well on 660's.

Garcia

But the way these games work is that it boils down to starting gear, right? Like you could pick a knight and turn it into a swordsman as soon as you find a couple weapons.

For example, I'm considering choosing bandit but turning it into a swordsman because swordsman has a bunch of starting int I probably don't need, or am I thinking incorrectly?

I gambled between 2 builds during my 1st. walkthrough and the game seemed to be pretty flexible (at least between classes that aren't too far away from each other). I remember reading some people suggesting just what you just said: To choose a particular build only to get the benefits that are absent from other classes.

I have a 660ti as well and I'm expecting to crush this game's requirements. I run everything else on high/max so this should be a breeze.

Sounds nice, then I'm off to go. =)

Garcia

I'm so hyped for this game. My PC is a little old but I should still be able to play at 1080p with a good frramerate.

The only thing I've heard that I don't like is that
you can be invaded at any time. :(

Don't worry too much about invasions. I only got invaded once during my first run (and the place was vibrant, packed with activity). I've heard those are pretty abundant once you reach the true NG: NG+.

NG is all about jolly cooperation, bowing to your allies, helping each other to grind thousands of souls and syncing war cries at the end of boss battles and sunbro signals. =)

Garcia

You'll have to jump through a few hoops like clicking install and launching the game from steam.

It could get pretty intense.

I'd suggest adding some pepper spray on the surface of the mouse just to increase the difficulty of the process.

Don't worry too much about invasions. I only got invaded once during my first run (and the place was vibrant, packed with activity). I've heard those are pretty abundant once you reach the true NG: NG+.

NG is all about jolly cooperation, bowing to your allies, helping each other to grind thousands of souls and syncing war cries at the end of boss battles and sunbro signals. =)

Well that sounds good. I played DS1 on PS3 and got invaded not long after I restored my humanity so I played the rest of the game as a hollow.

I suck at PVP and I'm not a competitive person. :p

Could always just go offline.

I could but I want to see the messages people leave.

I don't even know what I'm gonna start with, initially swordsman sounded the coolest but I don't know.

I used a 1h sword + shield in my DS1 playthrough and I still don't really feel like doing any sort of caster type character yet.

It's probably either between swordsman and bandit, I really don't know, I just want a fast character with bleeding weapons or something. Someone halp.

I was going to go swordsman

[Minor mechanical gameplay spoilers]
But I'm going deprived, because there's an npc that can reset your stats back to base. Deprived starts with even stats on everything but swordmaster has more offensive stats with low vit

Garcia

Well that sounds good. I played DS1 on PS3 and got invaded not long after I restored my humanity so I played the rest of the game as a hollow.

I suck at PVP and I'm not a competitive person. :p

My online experience with DS2 was overwhelmingly positive. I spent 70+% of the time either summoning allies to grind souls or helping others to beat bosses or clear some areas. I honestly wish I had that much fun with the original Dark Souls when I played it (damn you GFWL, rot in hell). Dark Souls 2 feels alive. You will always, constantly find summoning signs and messages scattered throughout the world: Close to bonfires, next to fog gates, pointing out to hidden paths, you name it.

My excitement grows mainly because I know what a vast improvement the reduced loading times represent for this game. As much as I complained about the horrible performance of the PS3 disc version, I enjoyed every single Co-op moment, 100% of the time.

Agauos

Neo Member
Is it the 25th yet?

HuQuJyU.gif

Phinor

I really hope they invasions are more fair, less buggy and not latency crippled this time around. Couple of months ago I tried playing DS1 (on PC) with a new character and I got invaded almost immediately after unhollowing, just about every time. The only exceptions were when the invader failed to connect, that would give me couple of minutes of free time. Although bonfires didn't work when they were attempting to connect so... That alone would be very annoying but the fact that so many invaders were lagging, warping, getting backstabs in even though they were way in front of me made it even worse. Then there were few nearly invincible guys that lost maybe 2% of their health bar if I got some good solid hits in. Didn't feel very fair or balanced. Game balance is quite important if you are going to force everyone into PvP. All in all, absolutely miserable experience and I quit that character less than ten hours into the game. If that had been my first character, I wouldn't be waiting for DS2 at all. Nor would I have played Demon's Souls while waiting for DS2. Actually I never got invaded at all during my NG+ run either, it's almost as if people were trolling the early game players only.

I know many people love the invasions and abus.. using every possible mechanic in the game to their advantage but for a lot of people the invasions are rarely fun. I mean feel free to hate my post but at the very least I hope the latency issues are fixed so that people from international space station with 56Kbps modems aren't trying to connect into my game making it impossible to ever touch them.

JLeack

Banned
How do I get my PS4 controller to work on the PC version? I'm at the main menu right now and can't figure it out.

eot

Banned
Everyone should start as deprived.

I think I'll try deprived + the covenant that
makes the game harder
. Maybe I'm overestimating how well DkS skills transfer, but I'm worried that the game won't be as memorable if isn't challenging enough. You want the game to force you to be on your toes.

sixghost

I'm so hyped for this game. My PC is a little old but I should still be able to play at 1080p with a good frramerate.

The only thing I've heard that I don't like is that
you can be invaded at any time. :(

Well if the console versions were any indication, outside of a few specific areas invasions aren't too common.

JLeack

Banned
I don't think Dark Souls 2 likes the DualShock 4. DS4 to XInput Mapper 1.2.2 shows that the controller is working, but I can't navigate the menus. RAWR! I really don't want to play this game with K&M.

JLeack

Banned
PSA: Yeah guys. If you're planning on playing with a controller, I don't think the DualShock 4 works. I don't have a PS3 anymore so I have to play with K&M.

erawsd

PSA: Yeah guys. If you're planning on playing with a controller, I don't think the DualShock 4 works. I don't have a PS3 anymore so I have to play with K&M.

Does it not work in the actual game? I think the GB Quick Look mentioned something about the menus only responding to KB/M.

masterkajo

I don't think Dark Souls 2 likes the DualShock 4. DS4 to XInput Mapper 1.2.2 shows that the controller is working, but I can't navigate the menus. RAWR! I really don't want to play this game with K&M.

Did you try the "hide DS4" option? I couldn't get Dark Souls 1 to work without it.

Frodo

I hate and I love the OT title!

Hate because I can hear the voice saying it (and I've traded loooooooooads of prism stones) and love because it is absolutely genius!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom