• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Press Event Discussion: Embargo - 8am CST (03/01/)

AmyS

In the last year and a half, in the following order I've bought:

* Demon's Souls - PS3
* Dark Souls - PS3
* Bloodborne - PS4
* Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin - PS4
- Artorias of the Abyss for Dark Souls
- The Old Hunters for Bloodborne

Bloodborne and DSII SotFS were the only two I bought at launch. DSIII will be the third :)

KHlover

Banned
e8wtQGt.jpg
Loved and still love Oblivion. It was the first "holy shit this game is huge" game for me.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1198833

?

That being said, Dark Brotherhood still was a exceptionally good questline.

OT:

Watching all those vids being uploaded it seems enemies no longer track you as hard as in DSII? Blessss

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I can't believe everything is happening on release... DkS3 release. Final exams need to be turned it. And much more. Fuck, I'll be a mess.

idonteven

anyone ever used offgamers.com ? want to buy jp psn cards there but i dont know if i would risk it

(cant use visa or paypal ) off gaming has paysafe cards so thats why

Jobbs

Banned
If you just want to play and worry about lore later, you can still play the JP version. The kanji for all the stats will be the same as in previous games, and there are translated menus out for those. And NPCs will still be voiced in English. It can be a good way to get familiar with the early game, so that when the English version comes out you'll have gotten gud already. I did this with Dark Souls and I had a great experience.

Or play Salt & Sanctuary while waiting. It's actually pretty good.

I would consider the JP version, but without the ability to read item descriptions the experience would be fatally flawed. I won't play it as an incomplete experience just to get it a bit sooner.

Jobbs

Banned
Can one simply make a Japanese PSN account on a NA PS4 and buy the game this week? Is it really just that easy?

If it is, can anyone tell me how this is done?

Vic_Viper

Still trying to decide which starting gift to get. I like the life ring and fire stone but I'm thinking the coins are the way to go, does anyone know how many you get though?

Also having a
respec option is a huge relief for me since I always tend to change my mind once I get half way through these types of games.
. Anyone have an idea of how limited they are or how you get them yet?

anyone ever used offgamers.com ? want to buy jp psn cards there but i dont know if i would risk it

(cant use visa or paypal ) off gaming has paysafe cards so thats why

They're a pretty reliable website, I've used them myself in the past till they changed payment providers and their new one doesn't accept my debit card for some reason.

I've mainly bought US PSN cards from them and it was always a painless experience, JPN cards shouldn't bee any different.

Sanctuary

i'm so sad that everything is gonna be found by the time the games comes out for the rest of the world :( this sucks so bad man,spoilers everywhere

If you're talking about it sucking due to discussions upon launch, then sure. But it shouldn't have any effect on your own first playthrough, unless you're spoiling it for yourself by watching videos or reading what everyone else has to say. Even then, it's not too terrible if you happen to stumble upon a text spoiler here or there accidentally, because it's not quite the same as the visual impact these games have.

That one time out of 400 hours will get posted on the Internet 10,000 times though, and will be assumed to be the norm. :/

Oh please. You can easily find at least twenty instances (a few that are very common) where there are issues with a simple Youtube or Google search. I personally experienced five of them that were glaringly bad. It wasn't as bad as Dark Souls 2, but it was worse than the first Dark Souls in that regard. It's more like the people who gush so hard for the game choose to ignore the issues, or they were lucky enough to never see them (somehow), so they love to downplay their existence.

400+ hours and only remembering one instance? Really awful memory, simply not that perceptive or just one of the luckiest players alive.

That's rich coming from the guy who only remembers dying 15 times in their first blind playthrough of Dark Souls.

Bamm, punches thrown! :D

I kind of adjusted to DS2's "different" hitboxes...I used rolling much more effectively than in DS1, for some reason. I really like that the directional rolling from DS2 seems to be back. (Right?)

pager99

Hi guys important question I want to get darksouls 3 early digitally, where should I buy Japan psn, Hong Kong is it even coming out early there, what should I do
PS I can't speak Japanese

grimmiq

Damn it..I think I'm going to end up getting the JP version, picked up The Division to kill time but really not getting into it.

ramyeon

Ugh... My hype for this is through the roof. I'm very seriously considering double dipping on the Japanese version but the better side of me is saying to hold out until the 12th :(

pager99

Ugh... My hype for this is through the roof. I'm very seriously considering double dipping on the Japanese version but the better side of me is saying to hold out until the 12th :(
Is that the consensus if you want early what about Hong Kong version?

Hi guys important question I want to get darksouls 3 early digitally, where should I buy Japan psn, Hong Kong is it even coming out early there, what should I do
PS I can't speak Japanese

My apologizes, but are you asking if the Hong Kong version is releasing on March 23? If you are, if I do not believe the Hong Kong version is not releasing that date. As far as I know, only the Japanese version is releasing March 23.

Here is a link to create and buy Japanese PSN cards.

There are plenty of us who can not read Japanese but are getting the game early :)

pager99

Japanese version releases first, everywhere else is April 12 after that as far as I know.

Only the Japanese version launches this week.

My apologizes, but are you asking if the Hong Kong version is releasing on March 23? If you are, if I do not believe the Hong Kong version is not releasing that date. As far as I know, only the Japanese version is releasing March 23.

Here is a link to create and buy Japanese PSN cards.

There are plenty of us who can not read Japanese but are getting the game early :)
Thanks guys I'm so preordering this fucking thing.early, Japanese account at.the ready

He did quite a bit in 5 hours. The game will no doubt be packed.

Yeah, and he didn't even fight a single Lord of Cinder.

I guess what remains to be seen is if the game can maintain the level of density seen in High Wall/Undead Settlement - the latter of which may be the single most intricate Soulsborne area ever at this point. There's soooooo much to do in it.

I'm still not too hyped about this. After Bloodborne rolling just seems...clumsy and stupid. I'll probably give it a try anyways.
I'm still excited to explore the world, but I share your lack of enthusiasm about the combat mechanics.

For me personally (because I know and understand lovers of swords and boards etc.) Bloodborne raised the bar for Souls mechanics by a mile, and what I've played of Dark Souls 3 just doesn't come close.

It was genuinely hard to go back, and it really did feel like going backwards.

Sanctuary

That's rich coming from the guy who only remembers dying 15 times in their first blind playthrough of Dark Souls.

Rich? Only if my death count was much higher than that, which it wasn't. Not until AotA anyway, but that wasn't my first playthrough. But then I'm sure you also believe that no one can beat O&S on their second attempt too.
Did you even use Iron Flesh before it was nerfed?

Oh please. You can easily find at least twenty instances (a few that are very common) where there are issues with a simple Youtube or Google search. I personally experienced five of them that were glaringly bad. It wasn't as bad as Dark Souls 2, but it was worse than the first Dark Souls in that regard. It's more like the people who gush so hard for the game choose to ignore the issues, or they were lucky enough to never see them (somehow), so they love to downplay their existence.

400+ hours and only remembering one instance? Really awful memory, simply not that perceptive or just one of the luckiest players alive.

Twenty? Maybe I'm lucky then.

The one I'm talking about is this one at 8 seconds. Which is weird since you can dodge that attack even closer and not get hit.

One attack that I really hate though is the Ebrietas charge because of her stupid tentacles, I really hope they don't put shit like that in DSIII.

Sanctuary

Twenty? Maybe I'm lucky then.

The one I'm talking about is this one at 8 seconds. Which is weird since you can dodge that attack even closer and not get hit.

One attack that I really hate though is the Ebrietas charge because of her stupid tentacles, I really hope they don't put shit like that in DSIII.

All of the Souls games have had various issues with clipping and hitbox/hurtbox problems. The only reason I was even talking about Bloodborne is because a lot of people act like those same problems didn't exist, or that they were less frequent than in any game prior (which they weren't). The gif showing an accurate hitbox/hurtbox doesn't really show whether or not it will have the same issues that have plagued the previous games to some extent, only that in that instance, it was accurate.

It's kind of like any large Bethesda game. There will be bugs. People expect them, and they aren't disappointed. FROM isn't immune to this either, and it's not strictly an A vs B team issue either. How much it detracts from your overall experience though is going to vary, but to say that they don't exist is ridiculous.

Rich? Only if my death count was much higher than that, which it wasn't. Not until AotA anyway, but that wasn't my first playthrough. But then I'm sure you also believe that no one can beat O&S on their second attempt too.

It's funny that you think "beating Dark Souls with only 15 deaths" and "beating a single boss in 1 or 2 tries" are even remotely close to being comparable in terms of believability.

I believe that you THINK you beat Dark Souls with 15 deaths. I think death is so routine and common in Souls games that people can severely underestimate how many times they've died.

Or maybe you are a top-tier player. You know what you should do... stream your first playthrough of Dark Souls III. With your cumulative Souls experience you should be able to beat the game with <10 deaths this time! I think I speak for everyone when I say that observing high-level play is a real treat.

EDIT:

Did you even use Iron Flesh before it was nerfed?

Oh, so you unknowingly cheesed the game using a completely broken ability. I see. That's slightly more believable. Even then I think you're underestimating your death count. It's pretty funny that you implied it was your previous experience with Demon's Souls that enabled you to complete the game with such few deaths when the actual reason was "Iron Flesh."

Sanctuary

It's funny that you think "beating Dark Souls with only 15 deaths" and "beating a single boss in 1 or 2 tries" are even remotely close to being comparable in terms of believability.

I believe that you THINK you beat Dark Souls with 15 deaths. I think death is so routine and common in Souls games that people can severely underestimate how many times they've died.

Or maybe you are a top-tier player. You know what you should do... stream your first playthrough of Dark Souls III. With your cumulative Souls experience you should be able to beat the game with <10 deaths this time! I think I speak for everyone when I say that observing high-level play is a real treat.

Your argument is completely ridiculous and not related at all. You can't prove or disprove someone's claim about their death count, but you can prove that a particular game has hitbox problems. When someone makes the claim "Well, I played X hours and never saw..." they are using that as their "proof" that these problems don't exist.

I don't need to prove anything to you about my playstyle either, but my death count was very low compared to the 60 - 200+ players. I also happened to use a Pyromancer and liberal applications of Iron Flesh, while playing very cautiously. Honestly, it doesn't matter what you believe. Just like it doesn't matter if I believe whether or not this 400+ hour player experienced any problems. Maybe he didn't, but that also doesn't mean anything about whether or not they actually exist.

Top Bottom