• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Press Event Discussion: Embargo - 8am CST (03/01/)

Sanctuary

Like I said to Sanctuary, you should stream your first Dark Souls III playthrough. I'd love to see how brainless your playstyle makes the game.

Hey, I never claimed that I breezed through DS2 at least. In fact, I said that I died a lot during my first playthrough. More than either of the previous two games, mostly thanks to not raising agility at all aside from what you would gain from ATT. Plus that bullshit tracking. Anyway, I hope that it has a death counter.

Grassy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro-HfETpzhc

it's pretty good even of not 100% accurate.

Thanks, I had a bit of a play around with today with the Dark Souls 3 JP videos on Youtube. I think it will be nice to have on hand.

I'll probably grab the Japanese version tonight or tomorrow and then double dip in April. Forgive me Velka, for I have sinned.

Also anyone importing and worried about not understanding Japanese, there's already quite a few guides in the making for DS3. And thus, I shall provide:

The Wiki!
Items!
Menus and such!

These will all be updated as people progress in the game. If worse comes to worse, there's trial and error. I've imported quite a few games with little knowledge of the language and I don't have too much an issue.

Edit: Should probably mention that those links may or may not have spoilers! Click at your own risk!

Thankyou! That items/icon list is exactly what I was after. BRB pre-ordering.

AmyS

I'm waiting til April 12th for the domestic release, and tide myself over with "The Dark Souls of driving games" (DiRT Rally) on April 5th.

April is Dirt 'n Dark Souls month :)

Jobbs

Banned
So how are people planning on dealing with the menus/item descriptions/status effects/ring properties etc if they don't know Japanese? I don't know if I can wait another 3+ weeks...

Some mixture of guesswork and looking shit up (when it comes to what spells are and stuff).

I don't usually do this, I just have a busy april coming up and I would rather "play the japanese version totally fresh" than "play a kinda spoiled USA version (because I ALWAYS end up caving) in a month when I don't have as much time to play games".

bigjig

Ummed and ahhed about which version to get, and eventually cancelled my JP PS4 preorder and got the steam version. I didn't want to get half way through the game only to start over on the PC. Now to bunker down and try and dodge spoilers for 2 and a half weeks haha

roytheone

The only thing I will look up/ask to players of the Japanese version is how interconnected the world ended up being, since that is still a major concern for me.

Mutombo

always good to see that there are people more excited to play Dark Souls 3 than me. I mean I'm hyped and it's the only thing that gives me prepubescent feels of excitement, but I can wait two more weeks. Playing with friends who're figuring out the same stuff as me is part of the appeal.

Sanctuary

The only thing I will look up/ask to players of the Japanese version is how interconnected the world ended up being, since that is still a major concern for me.

Well, one of the early previews mentions how it's laid out. There could be more to it, but it's essentially a hub style layout, but each "zone" is huge and interconnected. It's more like what Dark Souls 2 tried to do, but failed miserably.

Also, to those who have reservations about going back to the "Dark Souls" slow style of gameplay after playing Bloodborne...

The entire dynamic changes in a moment, and suddenly… Look, I’m not going to beat around the bush any longer: most of us probably know where this is going. At this point, Dark Souls 3 turns into Bloodborne 2. There’s no ambiguity about it.

As my play-style changes, the game makes more admissions. Forgetting that I even have a shield, ferocity and motion are my tools, and the latter reveals hitherto hidden offensive capability. It turns out that I can stagger certain enemies by rolling directly into them, giving me an impromptu stun move not a million miles away from the function of Bloodborne’s pistol shot. It’s a strange feeling, recognising one game’s flow in another’s mechanics, but there’s no doubt that this is Bloodborne’s gameplay as channelled through Dark Souls’ systems.

ogbg

So how are people planning on dealing with the menus/item descriptions/status effects/ring properties etc if they don't know Japanese? I don't know if I can wait another 3+ weeks...

I'm going to take photos of my screen and use the google translate photo feature. I tested it out with some existing screens and it just about made sense. There's also this page which is specifically for translations: http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Japanese+Version+Help

Mendrox

No problem. Since the age of imports I will just use trial and error, gamefaqs/reddit/gaf and nowadays the google live translation app. Playing imports has never been easier these days.

2 days to go. Today I will start buying snacks and set everything up for at least 24 hours in a row. Let's go!

No problem. Since the age of imports I will just use trial and error, gamefaqs/reddit/gaf and nowadays the google live translation app. Playing imports has never been easier these days.

2 days to go. Today I will start buying snacks and set everything up for at least 24 hours in a row. Let's go!

Why must you tempt me so.

idonteven

so when the game is about to unlock on my jpn account en need to be logged in on my jpn account, start the game,exit and then i am ok to go to my main eu account right ?

i had some trouble in the past with unlocking games

so when the game is about to unlock on my jpn account en need to be logged in on my jpn account, start the game,exit and then i am ok to go to my main eu account right ?

pretty much, yes. When the game unlocks, try to go to settings and use the restore licenses option before starting the game, as a guarantee.

ogbg

I've never had to actually start a game from another account for it to unlock on my region account. Sometimes I need to go back and forth between the two before unlocking or log out and log back in though.

Mifec

Like I said to Sanctuary, you should stream your first Dark Souls III playthrough. I'd love to see how brainless your playstyle makes the game.

What's the issue here? Are you made uncomfortable by the fact that some people have an easier time with the games then you? Don't be I'm just good at videogames.

Would gladly stream but, I live in the country that has the worst internet in the European union and 3rd worst in Europe.

nOsGH.jpg

What's the issue here? Are you made uncomfortable by the fact that some people have an easier time with the games then you? Don't be I'm just good at videogames.

Would gladly stream but, I live in the country that has the worst internet in the European union and 3rd worst in Europe.

nOsGH.jpg

Nope, I'm an average-skilled gamer and I'm fine with that. But you have to know that what you're claiming is absolutely absurd and unless you have proof, nobody's going to believe a number that low. For a first-time blind playthrough anyway.

HGH

Banned
Thank you mother Russia for these spoilers! Is very interesting, da.
I live for spoilers, can't wait for more leaks.

Sanctuary

Nope, I'm an average-skilled gamer and I'm fine with that. But you have to know that what you're claiming is absolutely absurd and unless you have proof, nobody's going to believe a number that low. For a first-time blind playthrough anyway.

I hope you realize that with the staggered release, even if the people that you seem to think need to prove themselves to you did actually stream, you could just then claim "You didn't do this blind, you watched people that had the Japanese version" or just say that they also played the Japanese version first if they do actually happen to have a low death count blind run. So it's a no win scenario.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hopefully this early JP release means we will know all the stat soft caps and whatnot by the time the game hits the west

I like to know that shit going in, especially if theres no respecs

hopefully this early JP release means we will know all the stat soft caps and whatnot by the time the game hits the west

There is apparently a way to respec, though I agree that knowing stat caps ahead of time is super useful.

Sanctuary

They were all known in Dark Souls 2 before the official launch. So there's not really any doubt that the caps will be known way before the rest of the world gets the game.

Top Bottom