• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Press Event Discussion: Embargo - 8am CST (03/01/)

Sanctuary

Oh, so you unknowingly cheesed the game using a completely broken ability. I see. That's slightly more believable. Even then I think you're underestimating your death count. It's pretty funny that you implied it was your previous experience with Demon's Souls that enabled you to complete the game with such few deaths when the actual reason was "Iron Flesh."

Knowingly cheesed? I knowingly used an ability that seemed extremely powerful yes, but your tone suggests that I knew about it prior, which I didn't. In this instance, not only was I lucky for playing a Pryomancer (which played nothing like I expected), I was lucky that the ability was so good initially. Would my death count have been a lot higher without it, and closer to what seems to be the average? Most likely yes. So this says nothing about actual "skill" and more about just being prepared and sticking with what's been working. And please, Demon's Souls experience did carry over. To act like it didn't, or wouldn't is pretty disingenuous. It's not like I had Iron Flesh up 24/7 or some shit. It was primarily for bosses, and elite type enemies. I'm not sure how that's any more cheesy than casting Soul Arrow repeatedly though. But hey, I also used Fireball liberally too, so there's that.

edit: Actually, if you've ever played any of the Diablo games in Hardcore mode, then you'd know about how I approached Dark Souls.

Luigiv

If you have seen his three Press Event-videos, there is nothing new.

But as the other poster said; bosses, weapons, locations and characters.

Cheers for the response. I only watched his first vid and then decided to draw the line there, so yeah, I think I'll skip this then.

Knowingly cheesed? I knowingly used an ability that seemed extremely powerful yes, but your tone suggests that I knew about it prior, which I didn't. In this instance, not only was I lucky for playing a Pryomancer (which played nothing like I expected), I was lucky that the ability was so good initially. Would my death count have been a lot higher without it, and closer to what seems to be the average? Most likely yes. So this says nothing about actual "skill" and more about just being prepared and sticking with what's been working.

You should re-read my post carefully. Specifically the fourth word.

grimmiq

edit: Actually, if you've ever played any of the Diablo games in Hardcore mode, then you'd know about how I approached Dark Souls.

I used to approach Hardcore Diablo by being a huge coward and overlevelling myself.

"Oh, I should be level 20 for this area."
*grinds to 30-40*

test_account

XP-39C²
Is the PS4 collector's edition completely sold out? Any words on that? I see that some stores have the Xbox One version up for pre-order, but not anything on PS4 (or PC either for that matter).

Grassy

totally done and done

I intend to stream it on wednesday. Since I can't understand menus and item descriptions, it may be nice to have people around.

CeBqQ49WEAUj9Vj.jpg:large

So how are people planning on dealing with the menus/item descriptions/status effects/ring properties etc if they don't know Japanese? I don't know if I can wait another 3+ weeks...

grimmiq

So how are people planning on dealing with the menus/item descriptions/status effects/ring properties etc if they don't know Japanese? I don't know if I can wait another 3+ weeks...

I'm currently on the fence about it.. If I do jump in with the Jp version I'm sure there'll be a wiki for translations and people in the import OT will likely be able to help.

Sanctuary

I used to approach Hardcore Diablo by being a huge coward and overlevelling myself.

"Oh, I should be level 20 for this area."
*grinds to 30-40*

Pretty much what I did, although that was in regards to leveling up the Pyromancy Flame. Otherwise it was just taking things rather slowly.

Is there really anything that actually requires reading in these games though (not talking about for "lore" reasons) aside from equipment requirements? Not knowing what you need to use an item would get annoying, but you can still get around it by simply dumping points in a non optimal spread until it works.

ramyeon

Decided to hold off on the Japanese version - would rather get the complete experience on my first playthrough and I know not understanding the item descriptions etc completely would really frustrate me.

I'll probably grab the Japanese version tonight or tomorrow and then double dip in April. Forgive me Velka, for I have sinned.

Also anyone importing and worried about not understanding Japanese, there's already quite a few guides in the making for DS3. And thus, I shall provide:

The Wiki!
Items!
Menus and such!

These will all be updated as people progress in the game. If worse comes to worse, there's trial and error. I've imported quite a few games with little knowledge of the language and I don't have too much an issue.

Edit: Should probably mention that those links may or may not have spoilers! Click at your own risk!

There is one Gamestop near where i live, so i will try that :) Hopefully i wont miss out. I kinda forgot that the game was coming out now. Really hope that i wont miss out on the collector's edition :(
I checked the online store for you, so you should have some luck!, if not you could try importing from the Canadian GameStop (ebgames)

hiryu

Man, I'm so tempted to double dip with the Japanese version. I know I'm not going to be able to resist watching streams.

grimmiq

Paused a video with japanese menu text from DS3 to check out that app...doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, those links to item descriptions would work great though.

Sanctuary

are there people that are going to buy the Japanese version instead of waiting 3 weeks for the international release?

That's what they've been discussing. Some that are, are also doing so because they can actually read Japanese.

Many, https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3JPN/ all info are there...

I'm sooooo near to pay 25$ more just for having this in 3day xD

I'd probably consider doing that as well, if I had not just spent a ton on a PC upgrade early to play this. Not going to go from the console experience to PC like I did with Dark Souls 2.

TitusTroy

That's what they've been discussing. Some that are, are also doing so because they can actually read Japanese.

Many, https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls3JPN/ all info are there...

I'm sooooo near to pay 25$ more just for having this in 3day xD

I'm a huge Souls/Bloodborne fan (I actually bought a PS4 just for Bloodborne) but I have no interest in buying the Japanese version...I can wait 3 weeks...but cheers to those who need to play it sooner

I'm a huge Souls/Bloodborne fan (I actually bought a PS4 just for Bloodborne) but I have no interest in buying the Japanese version...I can wait 3 weeks...but cheers to those who need to play it sooner
I'm in the same boat man. I just hope I can keep myself distracted instead of spoiling the rest of the game for myself.

Nere

Are you going to take measures to defend yourself from spoilers when the japanese version launches? or are you going to embrace them? I for one am going to spoil myself fully, I am sorry but I don't have patience.

TitusTroy

I'm in the same boat man. I just hope I can keep myself distracted instead of spoiling the rest of the game for myself.

I'm going into lockdown mode once it gets released...even now I'm just skimming through videos as I don't want to be spoiled...even then I regret watching those few seconds as I saw a few things I didn't want to know about...

the last video showed that Mimic Cry chests would be back for DS3

Are you going to take measures to defend yourself from spoilers when the japanese version launches? or are you going to embrace them? I for one am going to spoil myself fully, I am sorry but I don't have patience.
I don't even know how. I want to since its the last souls game and I might not have this chance again since I fully spoiled DS1 and Bloodborne for myself. But uh.it's a struggle
I'm going into lockdown mode once it gets released...even now I'm just skimming through videos as I don't want to be spoiled...even then I regret watching those few seconds as I saw a few things I didn't want to know about

the last video showed that Mimic Cry chests would be back for DS3
I've spoiled the first 3 bosses, areas and some quests and NPC's so I feel like I've seen way more than enough. But I crave more.

That's why i'm going for the jap version.

I even search for early jap stream to watch how the game is right nowwww ( Japan seem better at "keep their game secret" lol, every major game have early streamer normally... Now 2-3 day from the release and still nothing.. :( )

I might wait to see the stream on 23 at 11h am eastern ( release date/time for japan ).... But i'm too hype... When i will see some people pre-loading the game for the 23.... i will surely go and buy it.. xD

And i still believe they will patch english in, they did it with BB. But that would mean i had to buy the DLC on the Jap store later too.. lol

ramyeon

I got spoiled on a bunch of Bloodborne stuff by watching streams when it was released and it was still one of my favourite games in recent memory. I'd like to know less this time around but if I get spoiled then I don't feel like it'll detract from my enjoyment in any significant way at least.

TitusTroy

I've spoiled the first 3 bosses, areas and some quests and NPC's so I feel like I've seen way more than enough. But I crave more.

I did that for Dark Souls 2 and I'm never doing it again...the Souls game for me are about exploration and combat and I don't want to cheat myself out of 3-4 hours of the game...I do wonder how long the game will be though and if it'll be longer then DS2

Sanctuary

Once the Japanese version goes live, I'm out completely. Even though there will be an OT specifically for it, that won't stop some from posting spoilers in more general threads.

I don't even know how. I want to since its the last souls game and I might not have this chance again since I fully spoiled DS1 and Bloodborne for myself. But uh.it's a struggle

I am doing a complete blackout regarding screenshots and gameplay. The few segments I've seen so far are more than enough. I'm not overly optimistic with the way the game is going to look (yeah, graphically it's a step up, but enough about that) and want to go in with the expectation that not much will change; hopefully being wrong as hell, as well as surprised.

I did that for Dark Souls 2 and I'm never doing it again...the Souls game for me are about exploration and combat and I don't want to cheat myself out of 3-4 hours of the game...I do wonder how long the game will be though and if it'll be longer then DS2
I think it'll probably be a decent length, then we're getting two expansions, hopefully AOTA size or bigger so overall we're in for a pretty large game with dense areas and plenty of combat.

I don't have the will power to hold off from spoilers but i don't mind as i will still enjoy the game regardless

Mifec

Spoilers can't ruin any piece of media for me. So I'll probably watch streams.

Sanctuary

the only reason not to spoil yourself is that it'll make you want the game more.

And because not many people enjoy knowing the ending of a movie or book, or a major plot spoiler before seeing it for themselves?
Have you seen The Force Awakens yet?

BTW:
gotcha!

grimmiq

Spoilers can't ruin any piece of media for me. So I'll probably watch streams.

You take no enjoyment from figuring out how to beat a boss on your own? I didn't have a console back when DS2 released and watched the first half of the game on streams while I waited for the PC version, regretted it a whole lot.

Screw it, got $100 worth of PSN gift cards from people for my birthday, going to use that to drown the guilt of double dipping with the JP version.

Hypron

So, is there going to be a psn preload for the JP version? I just upgraded to fibre so it shouldn't be an issue either way but it'd still be fun to play it asap.

Mifec

You take no enjoyment from figuring out how to beat a boss on your own? I didn't have a console back when DS2 released and watched the first half of the game on streams while I waited for the PC version, regretted it a whole lot.

Screw it, got $100 worth of PSN gift cards from people for my birthday, going to use that to drown the guilt of double dipping with the JP version.

Not really that hard so nah. This is how I played DS2 and only died 7-9 times (normal not SOFTS)

I came into a boss room, then I dodged/blocked for a minute or two and then I just saw how all it's moves worked and I killed it. It's pretty brainless with a sword and board/fast roll.

Not really that hard so nah. This is how I played DS2 and only died 7-9 times (normal not SOFTS)

I came into a boss room, then I dodged/blocked for a minute or two and then I just saw how all it's moves worked and I killed it. It's pretty brainless with a sword and board/fast roll.

Like I said to Sanctuary, you should stream your first Dark Souls III playthrough. I'd love to see how brainless your playstyle makes the game.

all those reviews will probably only be Japanese review sites

There is a guy on reddit, with a PC review copy ( he post photo and ask for what people want to see in future video )

The way he talked, the embargo was "soon". People asking about the review for april, and he was like "sonner then that".

With the IGN "live stream" and seeing "revivewers", like the PS4 debug one, getting the english copy. Make me think it will be 23 march for all around the world review.

Maybe Bamco wish for stellar review and use it for the marketing + people would just translate the review/video from the asia.

Streaming will be allow to Twitch too, same with Youtube. lol DsK3 footage/video will be allllll around the web.

( I'm french btw, that's why my english suck :p )

Top Bottom