• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III Press Event Discussion: Embargo - 8am CST (03/01/)

Aces&Eights

I think the odds are finally in my favor for rolling a dex character. Have always had to fight tooth and nail in the first half of the games but this one looks to really offer strong dual wielding characters. Some of those move sets just look out of this world good.

Mana Sin

I think the odds are finally in my favor for rolling a dex character. Have always had to fight tooth and nail in the first half of the games but this one looks to really offer strong dual wielding characters. Some of those move sets just look out of this world good.

I'm torn between the choice of a quality (str/dex) sword and board guy, or a dex build.

I would like a viable dagger and bow build, though the
Uchigatana
also looks pretty sweet. Yet, I also like to have my first run to allow me as many weapons as possible. The struggle is real.

bbd23

well im playing dark souls 2 right now (first souls game)

hope pyromancy is really good in 3. its just so much fun.

that mercenary class looks real fun though

Poppincaps

Neo Member
The bow is looking as sexy as ever. Probably gonna go 2 hand katana for my first build and then a bow only for the second.

I really like the change to dual wield weapons.

Sanctuary

WWKfwPD.gif

At least people won't complain about hitboxes this time.

One example of good hit/hurtboxes doesn't really prove that there won't be issues. You don't need to look any further than Bloodborne to see that it had its fair share of problems in this area too.
(inc 100 posts about how it's the epitome of everything and flawless)

https://twitter.com/fiddlecub

You can get more detailed impressions here from Kevin. Seems like he digs it.

Silly silver tongued serpent. He's a well known Souls fanboy, so you can't trust his unabashed gushing. Although he sold me with his original Demon's Souls review, and it wasn't wrong.

One example of good hit/hurtboxes doesn't really prove that there won't be issues. You don't need to look any further than Bloodborne to see that it had its fair share of problems in this area too.
(inc 100 posts about how it's the epitome of everything and flawless)

In 400h+ of Bloodborne I only remember one time where I detected problems with the hitboxes. If DSIII is at the same level I will be happy.

well there goes any chance of me importing.

it's not so much the extra wait time, it's how hard it'll be to avoid looking/reading about the game

If you just want to play and worry about lore later, you can still play the JP version. The kanji for all the stats will be the same as in previous games, and there are translated menus out for those. And NPCs will still be voiced in English. It can be a good way to get familiar with the early game, so that when the English version comes out you'll have gotten gud already. I did this with Dark Souls and I had a great experience.

Or play Salt & Sanctuary while waiting. It's actually pretty good.

Bl@de

Ok. I stopped caring about performance and used my Steam credits to preorder. Doesn't matter how solid it keeps the 60fps. I can't wait for this game -.- I will now say goodbye and bail out. No more Dark Souls 3 content (except glorious Jeff Green streams when he starts it^^) until I finish the game. See you guys in ... summer?

Now the wait begins...

Mifec

If you just want to play and worry about lore later, you can still play the JP version. The kanji for all the stats will be the same as in previous games, and there are translated menus out for those. And NPCs will still be voiced in English. It can be a good way to get familiar with the early game, so that when the English version comes out you'll have gotten gud already. I did this with Dark Souls and I had a great experience.

Or play Salt & Sanctuary while waiting. It's actually pretty good.

Late PC release, it looks really fun too.

Also Souls fans should be gud already :3

Ok. I stopped caring about performance and used my Steam credits to preorder. Doesn't matter how solid it keeps the 60fps. I can't wait for this game -.- I will now say goodbye and bail out. No more Dark Souls 3 content (except glorious Jeff Green streams when he starts it^^) until I finish the game. See you guys in ... summer?

Now the wait begins...

What's your configuration?

Bl@de

What's your configuration?

Xeon E3-1230 v3, 16GB DDR3 Ram, GTX770 (2GB), Crucial SSD^^

Dark Souls 2 was no problem with downsampling from 1620p in 60fps. But now I'm curious if DS3 will run at 1080/60 at max. settings. I sure hope so.

Mifec

Dark Souls 2 was no problem with downsampling from 1620p in 60fps. But now I'm curious if DS3 will run at 1080/60 at max. settings. I sure hope so.

Depends on what they did with textures for Max, it has a high and max setting and I have no clue how much VRAM that needs.

Perhaps the extra few weeks before the PC is release is to improve the performance? There is only the min requirements on steam. So I wonder what the recommended will be in the end.

Perhaps the extra few weeks before the PC is release is to improve the performance? There is only the min requirements on steam. So I wonder what the recommended will be in the end.

The PC version releases the same time as the console versions. I think the performance in the IGN video is indicative of the performance we'll see on launch. With the exception that gameready drivers from both vendors may help with performance.

Dark Souls 3 looks really beautiful. Aesthetically, probably on of the best looking games coming out for me personally. There's a LOT more geometry in DS3 than there was in DS1 or 2. It's not surprising that it needs a decent amount of horse power to keep locked at 60.

Also another thing to remember though is that they were streaming and playing off the same PC, which incurs a small to decent performance hit depending on the GPU/CPU. I'd suspect the few times the framerate dipped was due to that.

Mifec

The PC version releases the same time as the console versions. I think the performance in the IGN video is indicative of the performance we'll see on launch. With the exception that gameready drivers from both vendors may help with performance.

Dark Souls 3 looks really beautiful. Aesthetically, probably on of the best looking games coming out for me personally. There's a LOT more geometry in DS3 than there was in DS1 or 2. It's not surprising that it needs a decent amount of horse power to keep locked at 60.

Also another thing to remember though is that they were streaming and playing off the same PC, which incurs a small to decent performance hit depending on the GPU/CPU. I'd suspect the few times the framerate dipped was due to that.

They were not, they had a 2 PC setup, someone from chat asked and they confirmed it.

The PC version is releasing on April 12 along with the world wide release of the Xbone and PS4.

The PC version is not releasing along side of the Japaneses release.

The PC version is releasing on April 12 along with the world wide release of the Xbone and PS4.

The PC version is not releasing along side of the Japaneses release.

Yea, it's not releasing alongside the Japanese version because of one simple reason... the game would be completely data mined and possibly pirated before the western release even happened. (plus the PC gaming scene in Japan is fairly non-existant)

You can't honestly believe that they are "delaying" the PC version to release the same time as the western console versions because they are trying to improve performance. The game is done.

I'm quite honestly surprised though that the IGN footage was PC footage, and that they showed it at all before release. When PC Gamer's Weekendr event was happening and the demo they had was the old Network test, I was kinda worried that the game wasn't as far along on PC as it was on consoles and could possibly be delayed. But this alleviated all my fears, and this version is even newer than the DS3 Preview Event version which had the difficulty turned down as well as some other differences.

Yea, it's not releasing alongside the Japanese version because of one simple reason... the game would be completely data mined and possibly pirated before the western release even happened. (plus the PC gaming scene in Japan is fairly non-existant)

You can't honestly believe that they are "delaying" the PC version to release the same time as the western console versions because they are trying to improve performance. The game is done.

I'm quite honestly surprised though that the IGN footage was PC footage, and that they showed it at all before release. When PC Gamer's Weekendr event was happening and the demo they had was the old Network test, I was kinda worried that the game wasn't as far along on PC as it was on consoles and could possibly be delayed. But this alleviated all my fears, and this version is even newer than the DS3 Preview Event version which had the difficulty turned down as well as some other differences.
There is a reason why I said perhaps. In reality who knows? You could be right or wrong.

KAOz

Short bus special
So far, my U.S. press colleagues who are playing on PS4 debugs are not using shields. Then my friend Kevin Vanord makes a solid case for using shields.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HZ9Y8d6zHw

I'm five hours in as a Pyromancer.

Leak the trophies/achievements. ;)

But I understand if you cant due to Embargo really.
But still really curious about those since I 100%/Platinumed all SoulsBorne games.

And am really worried that Collect All Weapons is back.

IGN streamed the PC version for 3 hours but the stream was meh-ok bitrate and locked to 30. Game was running at 60 with drops to 53 maxed

It dropped quite regularly to low 50s when not in a closed room, and when outside, in combat, and just an handful of monsters it dropped down to 40s quite regularly. They weren't good signs, but still no real proof of how the game will actually run.

Just not good signs.

For those who are interested, VaatiVadya posted an Early review video.

I've had to unfollow Vaati. I love the guy, and I was a Patron to his videos at one point, but I'm getting a bit annoyed at seeing videos with spoilery thumbnails and names popping up on my subscription list. Showing off Dark Souls 3 content weeks before the game releases is sure to rake in the views, but I feel it's best to go in as blind as possible. Surely any Souls fan would support that.

klee123

Very tempted to hop into the JPN PSN bandwagon, but I need another 6k yen on my PSN account.

Anyone know where I can get JPN PSN credit for a decent price?

Mifec

It dropped quite regularly to low 50s when not in a closed room, and when outside, in combat, and just an handful of monsters it dropped down to 40s quite regularly. They weren't good signs, but still no real proof of how the game will actually run.

Just not good signs.

Yeah, it's still vastly superior to the console version framerate but it would certainly be annoying if it dropped frames like that for no reason. Hopefully we see more before it's out.

MegaMelon

but I feel it's best to go in as blind as possible. Surely any Souls fan would support that.

But watching pre-release content is also a perfectly fine option for a Souls fan. I'd wager far more people want to see content before release then avoid it. I don't feel any of the titles or thumbnails are particularly spoilery if viewed out of context, which is what I'd assume someone would be viewing them as if they were going in as blind as possible.

But watching pre-release content is also a perfectly fine option for a Souls fan. I'd wager far more people want to see content before release then avoid it. I don't feel any of the titles or thumbnails are particularly spoilery if viewed out of context, which is what I'd assume someone would be viewing them as if they were going in as blind as possible.

The thing that ticked me off was location details. From what I saw, each video looked like it was about a new location. I just don't like to know the world locations in advance, and am not willing to take chances. There's something special about stumbling on somewhere, with no prior knowledge as to what it is, and what lies there. I did this with Demons, Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne (although for the last one, I did watch the TGS gameplay footage in advance.) Was very enjoyable.

I'll be resubbing again after going through it. I do love his videos, especially the lore stuff.

ugoo18

Finished Bloodborne, what a game. The combat is something else even for the Souls esque series. It's no Dark Souls 1 but i certainly enjoyed it more than Dark Souls 2, looking forward to DS3 even more now.

idonteven

i'm so sad that everything is gonna be found by the time the games comes out for the rest of the world :( this sucks so bad man,spoilers everywhere

Fhtagn

WWKfwPD.gif

At least people won't complain about hitboxes this time.

That's awesome, but really doesn't tell us much because every SoulsBorne game so far as a mix of hitboxes absurdly precise and absurdly not.

You can duck under Fume Knight's sword sweeps with the correct gestures, for instance. Doesn't make the hippo grab any less egregious.

Top Bottom