• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddammit, went to get the blue slab, which wasn't even the problem but the fact that Dukes Archives is so goddamn annoying it took me ages to actually get there (had to get the triple crossbow too and died 2 times while trying to get that).

Well at least I got nothing to do in Crystal Caves or Archieves now, actually I don't have much to do anywhere else either. I went to get all the items I was missing (like that ATK+ when low HP ring and some Souls from New Londo), killed the last dragon (Drake) etc. Now I just have to grind souls to buy everything and kill everyone.

M.D

Goddammit, went to get the blue slab, which wasn't even the problem but the fact that Dukes Archives is so goddamn annoying it took me ages to actually get there (had to get the triple crossbow too and died 2 times while trying to get that).

Well at least I got nothing to do in Crystal Caves or Archieves now, actually I don't have much to do anywhere else either. I went to get all the items I was missing (like that ATK+ when low HP ring and some Souls from New Londo), killed the last dragon (Drake) etc. Now I just have to grind souls to buy everything and kill everyone.

Yeah, It's an annoying place for sure. I hate that walk between Crystal Cave to Seath place. So goddam annoying -_-

BTW, Demon's Greataxe has to be one of the best weapons in the game, right? 285 base damage, but with S scaling, and it has the fastest attack of any of the greatswords/axes I tested

Soulhouf

BTW, Demon's Greataxe has to be one of the best weapons in the game, right? 285 base damage, but with S scaling, and it has the fastest attack of any of the greatswords/axes I tested

Yes, it's the strongest weapon in the game if you upgrade it to +15

M.D

Yes, it's the strongest weapon in the game if you upgrade it to +15

You see, I had no idea.
I tried it 2 handed because I've only got 42 STR, and I loved it because it's so strong and fast for it size. But now, If I'll use it, I feel like I'm cheating for some reason.

That probably sounds dumb, but I also feel like cheating whenever I wear Smough's or Havel armor lol

I always think I'm losing some of the challenge that way

Anyway, I have it at +14 since I didn't have slab to upgrade it and I'm currently using the man-serpent sword +14 (same story, no slab), and I'm quite happy with it after my initial fear it would be too slow.

I want to switch a weapon, but don't know what to. I've got a Demon Great Machete +5, but that thing is too slow.
I plan on using the Greatsword of Artorias (Thanks again, Sullichin :p) once I can, but that would take some time.

Booshka

To be honest I think the Demon Greataxe should be even stronger. It has S Scaling, but if you compare its base physical (285) to weapons like the Demon Great Machete and Great Club which both have around 330 base damage, the scaling doesn't make up enough for it's weight and moveset. I think the Demon Greataxe should have a base of at least 300, if not 310 so that the damage will be significantly higher, instead of just 10-20 points higher like it is now. This is in comparison to other high damage strength weapons (DGM, Great and Large Club and even Black Knight Greataxe).

Mike M

Nick N
Beat the Catacombs, but I'm certain I missed a bunch of stuff. Pinwheel though... WTF's up with that guy. LOL.

I can't seem to find a way *out* though. I don't want to take on the Tomb of Giants right now, but I got down here by falling down a real deep hole and finding the blacksmith. I found a ladder up by one end of this valley, but if it lead to a way out, I missed it.

Started a new character.
This time the name is "MamotteKnight" and I pretty much do nothing but co-op.

Right now just helping people get rid of Havel and the Taurus Demon. Fun stuff.
(also I uh..used the bottomless-box glitch and NO I have zero PVP plans for this character)

M.D

HOLY SHIT

I've played this game for 116 hours, and I've only know just realized that you can't parry with greatshields. I've used the Eagle Shield for almost the entirety of the game, and still am, and I've tried to parry a couple of times, and realized I'm not, and thought I'm doing something wrong, but I didn't read about it until now.

I love parrying ever since I used it on Havel before this NG+, and he didn't even hit me once :p

I'm not sure sure how good I really am with parrying, since he has long, predictable attacks, but I want to use it from now on.

Silver Knight Shield is pretty much the best all around shield in the medium class, right?

sixghost

Second run and I still freaking died to the last set of swinging blades in Sen's Fortress.

Fucking hell.

get below 25% equip load, wait for the first blade to go by, then sprint through the whole thing. You'll make it.

Time it so you start sprinting right as the first blade crosses the middle of it's arc.

Sullichin

Second run and I still freaking died to the last set of swinging blades in Sen's Fortress.

Fucking hell.

I fucking love Sen's Fortress, the blades makes for an interesting dynamic when invading, and it's really hard to not get killed by them your first few times through, and then you become really good at it. For the last set, you can dash straight through as sixghost suggested, but if you move the camera kind of overhead, you will get a better view of the very small safe zone that you can pause in the middle before the last set of blades.

That iron flesh video is hysterical, I didn't use it much but I'd love to see more videos in that style.

M.D

If you're going to parry anyway, it doesn't matter all that much.

It doesn't? There are hits you can't parry, and there are situations (bosses, for example), where you need a good shield or be extremely good in order to evade and take no hits, or else you're dead before you even started.

Soulhouf

I had the most awesome invader killing in Sen's Fortress.
He was hiding behind the snake mage who is at the end of the narrow bridge with the swinging blades.
I rushed through the blades and did 1 rush swing followed by a normal swing with my chaos Claymore+5 which killed both the snake and the invader.
I feel kind of sorry for the dude because he didn't expect that at all :lol
I was SL15 in NG+ though.

Of those boss souls, Quelagg's has the best weapons for Dexterity and if you can keep 10 Humanity in your counter they will be even better. If you take a Curved sword to +10 you will make a Quelagg's furysword, which is very good for low requirements, and does mostly fire damage, and it attacks very quickly. If you take a katana to +10 you will make a Chaos Blade, which is one of my favorite weapons in the game. It does the most pure physical of any katana with 10 Humanity, and it is a bit quicker than all of the katanas as well. It can be enchanted and you lose a little health every time you land a hit, but it is a very good weapon.

Ah crap Booshka I accidentally upgraded my Iaito to +15 can I still make it a Chaos blade?

Facism

Ah crap Booshka I accidentally upgraded my Iaito to +15 can I still make it a Chaos blade?

you can downgrade, but if you really need another Iaito, the hollow merchant in the burg drops one when killed, AFAIK. Check that before you decide to smang him.

Sullichin

Fucking hell.

For sheer strength is it better for me to stay at +15 or downgrade and go Chaos?
Is there any downside to downgrading?

Both the iaito and chaos blade scale with dexterity. You would get the most out of both weapons if you have 40DEX. you can increase it more after that but the difference in Attack rating will drop off sharply after 40.

If you downgrade the weapon to +10 and then make chaos, you'd have wasted a titanite slab, and you will then be with a chaos blade that can be upgraded to +5 with Demon Titanite. Until you get it to that point, the iaito will probably have a higher attack rating (chaos blade is a bit faster though). I wouldn't downgrade your iaito. You can kill the undead merchant for the uchigatana and then turn that into the chaos blade after you bring it to +10.

M.D

Whoever designed the two knight archers section in Anor Londo deserves a nice punch in the face.

I'm trying to get past them right now!

This is strange. I've read you're post and was like "Huh, I know everyone like's to complain about them, but I don't remember having any trouble with them"

5 minutes later.....

FUCK THIS SHIT! :p
I guess I was lucky the first time

Edit: Just got past them :)
They can't see you until you climb that final step where you can reach them

Kicked the left archer with a dragonslayer bow and killed the right one with a bow as well

Feels good man

Booshka

Great thanks for the help.

You can also buy Uchigatana's from Shiva the East, he is a merchant that shows up in Blighttown after you join the Forest Covenant. He sells unique weapons, you can also just kill that undead merchant in the burg and get an Uchi, but he sells an item that is good for invaders (Lloyd's Talisman). Don't downgrade that Iaito +15, I usually make one myself, and then make a Chaos Blade. Iaito +15 will be better than Chaos Blade +5 if you have low humanity in your counter, so if I die and have to get my bloodstain, I'll switch to Iaito.

LProtag

So I'm thinking about starting a new game as it's been a while since I've played.

My first build was mainly DEX focused and I wasn't looking at using any specific weapon. I have no idea what new advances/ideas have come into play now. I still like DEX over STR but I'm not sure if I should use any sort of magic alongside DEX. Also what's a good weapon to look at attempting to acquire and build around?

EDIT: If you could even just link me to a decent resource where I can look up builds to see what the current mentality in the game is that would be great.

Sullichin

So I'm thinking about starting a new game as it's been a while since I've played.

My first build was mainly DEX focused and I wasn't looking at using any specific weapon. I have no idea what new advances/ideas have come into play now. I still like DEX over STR but I'm not sure if I should use any sort of magic alongside DEX. Also what's a good weapon to look at attempting to acquire and build around?

EDIT: If you could even just link me to a decent resource where I can look up builds to see what the current mentality in the game is that would be great.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

This is great for testing out builds. you can always bring your DEX to 40, bring your DEX weapon to +15, then either bring FAI or INT to 40 or 50 and then use darkmoon blade/sunlight blade/crystal magic weapon. As far as DEX weapons, I like the great scythe, uchigatana, chaos blade.

joe2187

Banned
Any tips for a forest hunter? it seems really cheap to play MP all of a sudden. the amount of people just being plain assholes is staggering.

Getting isnta-lag stabbed as soon as I spawn, spawning on cliffs and getting wrathed off instantly, spawning the bewteen two guys and getting sandwiched by a black knight great axe and a sunlight spear.

The amount of 1v3 matches I've had just makes me rage all day, 1 phantom, 1 black phantom and the world master all working together to grief my ass.

Booshka

I just made this one, it looks solid for a Dex Sorcery build.

mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=392606620

Sullichin

Any tips for a forest hunter? it seems really cheap to play MP all of a sudden. the amount of people just being plain assholes is staggering.

Getting isnta-lag stabbed as soon as I spawn, spawning on cliffs and getting wrathed off instantly, spawning the bewteen two guys and getting sandwiched by a black knight great axe and a sunlight spear.

The amount of 1v3 matches I've had just makes me rage all day, 1 phantom, 1 black phantom and the world master all working together to grief my ass.

If you don't want 1v3 don't play in the forest. Play in the burg or painted world, or to a lesser extent, the kiln.

Waiting to get invaded in the burg around SL120 = the best PVP in the game, in my experience

Dresden

welcome to dark souls pvp.

joe2187

Banned
The dumbest part? I get indicted on the times I win against 1v3

I've got no choice but to use cheap tactics, and lure them to the tree-men and mushroom men. Then when they are busy getting overrun by them I get in a few strikes and smash em.

Instantly indicted.

M.D

Just beat O&S on my first try.
216K souls. nice!

Beat Ornstein last this time. Gotta get that weapon (trophy) and cool armor!
I was so close to death at least 2 times.. flasks saved me of course :)

Sullichin

The dumbest part? I get indicted on the times I win against 1v3

I've got no choice but to use cheap tactics, and lure them to the tree-men and mushroom men. Then when they are busy getting overrun by them I get in a few strikes and smash em.

Instantly indicted.

Being indicted isn't a bad thing, most people like to get indicted because they will be invaded and be able to do more PVP. You can avoid being indicted if you are the host and just wait to get invaded.

joe2187

Banned
Am I wrong in thinking bowing or waving before engaging them is respectful?

They seem to take it as offensive and immediately spam magic attacks from afar at me.

Bow = Magic spear to the face

Wave = Homing mass to the ass

Wait for them to notice you = Immediately panic and spam pyro.

Sullichin

Am I wrong in thinking bowing or waving before engaging them is respectful?

They seem to take it as offensive and immediately spam magic attacks from afar at me.

Bow = Magic spear to the face

Wave = Homing mass to the ass

Wait for them to notice you = Immediately panic and spam pyro.

It's cause the forest is full of assholes! I'm telling you, for 1 on 1 duels chill in the burg or painted world. Most people are respectful, you bow to each other, buff your weapons if need be and fight fair.

My DEX is pretty low right now(18)
While my ATK and END are both 36 respectively. How high should I get my DEX? Should I bother with END anymore?

Sullichin

My DEX is pretty low right now(18)
While my ATK and END are both 36 respectively. How high should I get my DEX? Should I bother with END anymore?

Bring your DEX up to 40 to really take advantage of the DEX scaling of the iaito or chaos blade. If you bring it to 45 you can also cast pyromancy a bit faster. I wouldn't take it past 40 or 45.

Excellent. Thanks guys.
I am over 50 hours in and damn some of the people that I summon blow me away. There was this girl that had some type of magic blade that shot out a huge energy wave. Nothing survived more than one hit with that thing. We were even invaded twice and she killed both people with one hit of that thing. Times like that I need a shaking my head gesture.

Clevinger

Ughhhh. Just realized that I didn't buy Iron Flesh from Laurentius
before he went off and became hollow like an asshole in Blighttown. Apparently no one else sells it...

Usually the game is tough, but fair, but these types of little nonsensical fuck yous are infuriating. It's like I can almost see the designer flipping me the bird through the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom