• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ughhhh. Just realized that I didn't buy Iron Flesh from Laurentius
before he went off and became hollow like an asshole in Blighttown. Apparently no one else sells it...

Usually the game is tough, but fair, but these types of little nonsensical fuck yous are infuriating. It's like I can almost see the designer flipping me the bird through the TV.

The game is almost meant to be replay on New game+, especially since everything carries over & stacks.
Stuff that you didn't know before or only discovered late can be applied in a continuous game.

Mxrz

Wanting to try low to mid-level black wraith. I had a lot of fun in Demon's with a sl60 stealthy-dex setup. But I'm guessing lightning/fire/chaos is way better than dex at that level, yeah?

Booshka

Wanting to try low to mid-level black wraith. I had a lot of fun in Demon's with a sl60 stealthy-dex setup. But I'm guessing lightning/fire/chaos is way better than dex at that level, yeah?

You could max Dex to 40 and still stay around level 60, but you will probably do better going elemental. I suggest trying the dex route though, it will be more fun and will make you a better player because you will have less Vitality and Endurance to rely on.

MechaX

Starting my third character now. Fuck the Drake Sword, I got the god damn Zwei! Taurus Demon is nothing to my might! (Capra might be a problem though) I'm pretty much intending this one to be a straight up Strength build, as I have poured nothing but strength so my character could one-hand the Zwei with... disappointing results.

I knew I should have just went for a Dex/Faith build.

Booshka

Starting my third character now. Fuck the Drake Sword, I got the god damn Zwei! Taurus Demon is nothing to my might! (Capra might be a problem though) I'm pretty much intending this one to be a straight up Strength build, as I have poured nothing but strength so my character could one-hand the Zwei with... disappointing results.

I knew I should have just went for a Dex/Faith build.

Take your Strength to 27, 2 Hand the Demon Great Machete, and take your Faith up to 30/50 for weapon buffs, you'll be happy again.

The key with Strength builds is to only go to the minimum requirements to 2H, you should be fighting 2H anyway if you are going STR, because you will get at least 100 points more damage than if you 1H.

Mike M

Nick N
Seriously, how the hell do you get out of the bottom of the catacombs right before Pinwheel? I don't want to go to the Tomb of Giants yet, not with all the loot I missed on the way down.

I fell down a really deep hole, found the blacksmith who opened a hole in the wall to the bone pit full of skeleton wheels right before Pinwheel. Found a ladder at the opposite end of the pit from the fog gate, but it only led to a ledge with a soul or something.

I can't find any way out, am I
homeward
boned?

sixghost

Seriously, how the hell do you get out of the bottom of the catacombs right before Pinwheel? I don't want to go to the Tomb of Giants yet, not with all the loot I missed on the way down.

I fell down a really deep hole, found the blacksmith who opened a hole in the wall to the bone pit full of skeleton wheels right before Pinwheel. Found a ladder at the opposite end of the pit from the fog gate, but it only led to a ledge with a soul or something.

homeward
boned?

As far as I know, that's a one way street unless you have homeward bone, homeward spell, or just die.

You could always just kill Pinwheel. He's not that hard, even at a lower level, and I believe all bosses drop homeward bones after the patches.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

homeward
boned?
IIRC, in the bonewheel area, go in the opposite direction of Pinwheel. There should be a mound of dirt you can walk up. Then, there should be a ladder.

homeward
boned?

from the blacksmith turn (i think) left, find the narrow path that leads up to a room with two skeleton archers, climb the ladder, climb the next ladder, should be up in the crypt bit near titanite demon, backtrack from there. and buy some homeward bones when you do get out ;)

Booshka

from the blacksmith turn (i think) left, find the narrow path that leads up to a room with two skeleton archers, climb the ladder, climb the next ladder, should be up in the crypt bit near titanite demon, backtrack from there. and buy some homeward bones when you do get out ;)

The Catacombs blacksmith sells them now, I think From realized how much of a pain it can be to be lost down there.

M.D

I joined the Darkmoon covenant, and I've been killed every time I invaded.

Am I just terrible at PVP? Or is there lag? Probably a combination of both :p

Is there any way to improve the online ? opening ports or something?

krakov

So, the other day I was experimenting with a friend of mine who was gravelording in the forest. Didn't see any black phantom enemies but could pretty much always see his sign after first contact. Anyway, he was invaded by a 140+ darkwraith when I was in his game. We were both 40ish. Shouldn't Darkwraith invade up only?

M.D: PvP is laggy and weird in many ways, takes a while to get used to.

Canova

Banned
So, the other day I was experimenting with a friend of mine who was gravelording in the forest. Didn't see any black phantom enemies but could pretty much always see his sign after first contact. Anyway, he was invaded by a 140+ darkwraith when I was in his game. We were both 40ish. Shouldn't Darkwraith invade up only?

Did you go to the other section of the forest where the mushroom creatures are? They all turn into black phantom mushrooms, even the little ones. BP littl mushrooms can kill you in 2 hits

krakov

Did you go to the other section of the forest where the mushroom creatures are? They all turn into black phantom mushrooms, even the little ones. BP littl mushrooms can kill you in 2 hits

Yeah, I've heard of them but saw none. He has been trying to infect me a few times now with no luck. Can usually see his sign though at least.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Man... game just dicked me over so hard.

I wasn't really paying attention after playing a pretty long session... and just got back from the undead asylum. Accidentally walked the wrong way out of the nest and fell to my death.

Ok fine whatever. My fault for not paying close attention. Just run back to my bloodstain and pick up all my... wait... there's no bloodstain!?

40+ active humanity, gone. The souls I couldn't give two shits about, but the humanity hit was a kick straight to the balls. :(

M.D

Yeah, it looks quite laggy.
Are there no ways to improve this? Opening DMZ maybe? I remember something about this helping all online games on your PS3

BTW, I'm really interested in the lore of this game and looking for more details
I wish we would get DLC to see some things like the Pygmy and Artorias

Wouldn't it be cool if there's a whole section of this game that no one found out about yet? although there's no chance that would happen lol

joe2187

Banned
So I has been cursed by a gravelord? when did that happen?

All I've been doing is forest hunting, all day long.

Me and a phantom summon of mine were getting surrounded by black phantom mushroom men and this Skully motherfucker thought he could just wait by the stairs and watch us get killed by the mushroom.

I headshotted him with the dragon slayer bow and got myself uncursed.

Yeaaaaaaah.

I wasn't really paying attention after playing a pretty long session... and just got back from the undead asylum. Accidentally walked the wrong way out of the nest and fell to my death.

Ok fine whatever. My fault for not paying close attention. Just run back to my bloodstain and pick up all my... wait... there's no bloodstain!?

40+ active humanity, gone. The souls I couldn't give two shits about, but the humanity hit was a kick straight to the balls. :(

When you fall out from there the souls are always in the same place no matter where you fall from, I just don't remember where.

Happened to me too in the undead asylum, went back to the nest & it was gone. Turns out the bloodstain was moved to where snuggly the crow is for some strange reason. Your bloodstain might have been moved down below somewhere too.

Are there no ways to improve this? Opening DMZ maybe? I remember something about this helping all online games on your PS3

BTW, I'm really interested in the lore of this game and looking for more details

Wouldn't it be cool if there's a whole section of this game that no one found out about yet? although there's no chance that would happen lol

EpicNameBro has a few youtube videos going into the lore of the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TycVU3ne0qE

joe2187

Banned
Like lord Gwyn before you, you are consumed by the fire to refuel and link the fires throughout the world, thus ensuring the continuation of the Age of fire.

To me, linking the fire is the bad ending, or the false ending. You are refueling a system that is old and dead, thus the cycle will continue until someone decides not to link the fire, it's almost like being stuck in limbo, you will never die, your body will survive but the endless life you have and loss of humanity will turn you hollow. Without the age of fire, and the bonfires, the undead will no longer respawn and the age of the pygmy's or the humans will replace the old age of the gods who abandoned them.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

There's not a lot you can do about the online lag other than just get used to it. The latency depends heavily on the quality of your connection with the other players and there's not much you can do other than cross your fingers and hope for the best.

On the lore, I made a pair of posts back in the third incarnation of this thread that compiled as much of the game's backstory and whatnot as I could find. Might be of interest to you.

At this point there's next to no chance of there being anything left hidden in the game. A while back we even got a complete dump of all the game's text strings, and while it revealed some interesting things that From either cut or didn't have time to complete, there wasn't much of substance to learn from it.

Clevinger

Managed to beat S&O after like five tries. Whew, that shit was tough. I summoned someone to help, but he didn't really do anything (other than waste some of my flasks)

Frampt: Let's go on a journey.
Me: :O

*pukes*

mozfan12

Banned
Hey guys, so I'm new to the souls series. I've been grinding for the past couple of hours but I want to be sure what stats I should be improving. I'm a sorcerer, wanted a class with a long range. I'm still at the beggining, about 4 hours in, so any tips would be appreciated.

I also gotta eat my fair piece of crow. I was really critical of the game, but holy shit, I'm absolutely loving it.

Booshka

Hey guys, so I'm new to the souls series. I've been grinding for the past couple of hours but I want to be sure what stats I should be improving. I'm a sorcerer, wanted a class with a long range. I'm still at the beggining, about 4 hours in, so any tips would be appreciated.

I also gotta eat my fair piece of crow. I was really critical of the game, but holy shit, I'm absolutely loving it.

If you want range focus on Intelligence and Dexterity (for Bows) and then put the rest of your points into Vitality, Endurance and Attunement. Only put your Strength up to the minimum requirement for weapons, I would keep it under 20, but 16 should probably do fine.

To me, linking the fire is the bad ending, or the false ending. You are refueling a system that is old and dead, thus the cycle will continue until someone decides not to link the fire, it's almost like being stuck in limbo, you will never die, your body will survive but the endless life you have and loss of humanity will turn you hollow. Without the age of fire, and the bonfires, the undead will no longer respawn and the age of the pygmy's or the humans will replace the old age of the gods who abandoned them.

Spoiler tag what you wrote for fuck's sake.

Sajjaja

Just started the game for the first time right after beating Demon's Souls. Made a Wanderer with a Master Key gift.

Tutorial boss was almost a carbon copy to the one in Demon's Souls so I beat him in the first try. No problems.

I get to the tower and theres a door infront of me which I opened with the Master Key and stairs that go up. I opened the door in front of me, descend....only to find Havel to come and buttfuck me.... :(

Go up, find Taurus Demon to butt fuck me. After 2 tries, I just stopped playing defensively. Used my gold resin and just jump attack onto him and swing away. Dead in 20 seconds.

So I decide to hollow because I'd like to do some PvP as well. Under the bridge where the Wyvern is, I hear a familiar sound. I'm scared cause it's my first one, but also excited. The fucker is a twink/bottomless abuser....... That really got me angry. So I get back, run into the room with the mech boar....get raped about 3 times......fucking lost it and just rage quitted....

I really hate this BB glitch... I wanted some legitimate PVP with some other low levelers and it fucking infuriates me....

Anyways.....any pointers/tips for a newbie? Things I should look out for, should/should not do?

Well! it took some time (had this game since launch day) but after 315 hours over 5 different characters I finally collected all the rare weapons on a single char and got my platinum :D On top of that had a great day of PVP, slicing dudes left and right in the forest and in Anor Londo. One invaded me in Sens as I was summoning Tarkus, we pounced on him on a bridge and the poor guy high-tailed it out of there and d/c'd. Funny bug where Alvina won't give me the fog ring (definitely don't have it on this char, definitely got enough kills) but I read that
the crow will trade a skull lantern for one. of which i have heaps.
Not that I use it anyway.

I really hate this BB glitch... I wanted some legitimate PVP with some other low levelers and it fucking infuriates me....

yeah it's kind of ass but sometimes you can't be sure, it's not that difficult (just time consuming) to legitimately acquire some kick-ass weapons while keeping your level low. easier even with the master key. only other thing you can do is make a glitched char yourself once you have a bunch of weapons and hang out in the burg looking out for the new kids.

On the lore, I made a pair of posts back in the third incarnation of this thread that compiled as much of the game's backstory and whatnot as I could find. Might be of interest to you.

hey, these are great, thanks. amazing how many things i've missed just from never bothering to use/look at certain pieces of armour.

Soulhouf

No I really hate this BB glitch... I wanted some legitimate PVP with some other low levelers and it fucking infuriates me....

I agree, but the problem is you can never know for sure if the invader is a BB glitcher or a player who did it the proper way.
Dark Souls is much easier and forgiving game than Demon's Sous once you got it. And so you can beat the game low level and come back to the Burg to do co-op/invasions.

To give you an example, I recently beat the game (for the 10th time) with a SL15 character doing it the proper way (it's not hard once you now every detail in the game). So if I invade you in the Burg, sure you'll think I'm a BB glitcher.

With that said, yes there are too many assholes who take advantage of this glitch to grief new comers which sadly ruins the game IMO.

BTW how did you know all these things (havel without beating him, the BB glitch...) and this is your first time into the game?
Please try to play without watching any videos/reading faqs, spoilers and your experience will be really more awesome. If you're stuck, come here and ask questions, many people will happily help you.

yeah decided earlier tonight to make a low-level (sl10) undeadburg camper of my own for the purpose of fighting off invaders. bandit starter (why not, never tried one before), grabbed the claymore and fap, next to lightning up that thing and see how it goes. atm planning to pair the fap with wolf ring. think i can forgo dwgr but if it comes to it i suppooooose i can replace fap with dwgr+a pinwheel mask. but then how will they tell me from the invaders ??

oh yeah wanted to add..

Anyways.....any pointers/tips for a newbie? Things I should look out for, should/should not do?

don't get angry ;)

M.D

EpicNameBro has a few youtube videos going into the lore of the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TycVU3ne0qE

I watched like 3 or 4 videos last night! very informative, and even tho I read a lot about the lore, there are some things there I heard for the first time or didn't even think about! Thanks!

There's not a lot you can do about the online lag other than just get used to it. The latency depends heavily on the quality of your connection with the other players and there's not much you can do other than cross your fingers and hope for the best.

At this point there's next to no chance of there being anything left hidden in the game. A while back we even got a complete dump of all the game's text strings, and while it revealed some interesting things that From either cut or didn't have time to complete, there wasn't much of substance to learn from it.

I've actually seen this information on Gamespot last week while I was searching for information about the lore! good job man :)

Well! it took some time (had this game since launch day) but after 315 hours over 5 different characters I finally collected all the rare weapons on a single char and got my platinum :D On top of that had a great day of PVP, slicing dudes left and right in the forest and in Anor Londo. One invaded me in Sens as I was summoning Tarkus, we pounced on him on a bridge and the poor guy high-tailed it out of there and d/c'd. Funny bug where Alvina won't give me the fog ring (definitely don't have it on this char, definitely got enough kills) but I read that
the crow will trade a skull lantern for one. of which i have heaps.
Not that I use it anyway.

yeah it's kind of ass but sometimes you can't be sure, it's not that difficult (just time consuming) to legitimately acquire some kick-ass weapons while keeping your level low. easier even with the master key. only other thing you can do is make a glitched char yourself once you have a bunch of weapons and hang out in the burg looking out for the new kids.

hey, these are great, thanks. amazing how many things i've missed just from never bothering to use/look at certain pieces of armour.

What are the actual weapons needed for this trophy? I've seen a lot of different lists and a lot of different people saying this list or that list is wrong

And what are the "Best Weapon" trophies? Just upgrade every weapon type to max? Regular weapon to +15, Lighting to +5 and so on?

Mike M

Nick N
I wouldn't mind BB glitching a few characters once I complete this playthrough, if only to play around with new builds without having to spend the time to do it all legitimately. I'm not much of an invader, do I don't feel bad about it at all : )

What transfers over, exactly? All items in the box? If I glitch my character on NG+, does my new character start out in NG+?

M.D

I wouldn't mind BB glitching a few characters once I complete this playthrough, if only to play around with new builds without having to spend the time to do it all legitimately. I'm not much of an invader, do I don't feel bad about it at all : )

What transfers over, exactly? All items in the box? If I glitch my character on NG+, does my new character start out in NG+?

IIRC it transfers all items in the box, sins, and covenant.. maybe even NPC's killed or hit, I can't remember

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Doesn't transfer over NPCs killed.

It's useful but it does glitch sometimes and make some covenant things impossible.

Sajjaja

I agree, but the problem is you can never know for sure if the invader is a BB glitcher or a player who did it the proper way.
Dark Souls is much easier and forgiving game than Demon's Sous once you got it. And so you can beat the game low level and come back to the Burg to do co-op/invasions.

To give you an example, I recently beat the game (for the 10th time) with a SL15 character doing it the proper way (it's not hard once you now every detail in the game). So if I invade you in the Burg, sure you'll think I'm a BB glitcher.

With that said, yes there are too many assholes who take advantage of this glitch to grief new comers which sadly ruins the game IMO.

BTW how did you know all these things (havel without beating him, the BB glitch...) and this is your first time into the game?
Please try to play without watching any videos/reading faqs, spoilers and your experience will be really more awesome. If you're stuck, come here and ask questions, many people will happily help you.
I watched a lot of invasions videos with a commentator. I recognized Havels armor and he also discussed twinks/BB abusers.

So what do you think, should I just grind Darkwraiths until I get couple of Slabs or should I just go to NG+? I need couple of them for some trophies.

M.D

So what do you think, should I just grind Darkwraiths until I get couple of Slabs or should I just go to NG+? I need couple of them for some trophies.

I think you can only get 4 per playthrough. IIRC only 2 are guaranteed drops, and the other 2 drop from crystal lizards in the Great Hollow/Dukes Archives (I'm not sure if those lizards respawn?)

I say grind. unless you know you'll get the amount you need and are using them just to get the trophies in your NG+.

It may take some time tho. I went there like 6 times with the gold ring and two active humanity and didn't get even one slab. I got tired and continued to NG+ lol
tho they do drop Titanite Chunks quite often

I'll definitely grind there now tho, I need those god damn trophies as well! and +15 some weapons

Also, don't forget to farm the Black Knights in the Klin.
2 of them drop titanite chunks and 2 drop white and red titanite chunk (or slab?) when killed, every time. I was so tired by that point I just said fuck it and continued to NG+ :<

Canova

Banned

dont waste your time grinding Wraiths for the slabs, you're better off advancing to NG+ and get one slab from asylum demon

Also, don't forget to farm the Black Knights in the Klin.
2 of them drop titanite chunks and 2 drop white and red titanite chunk (or slab?) when killed, every time. I was so tired by that point I just said fuck it and continued to NG+ :<

Heh, I have so many Chunks from those I will never need more :p

Also I had like 50 Black Night Swords, shields, halberts, great axes etc. but gave most of them away to summoners/invaders etc

sixghost

dont waste your time grinding Wraiths for the slabs, you're better off advancing to NG+ and get one slab from asylum demon

God, is that really quicker?

I only grinded the darkwraths for a slab once, and I got one in about 30 minutes. I tried again for 15 minutes and just decided to call it a win and stop.

Sajjaja

Just rage quitted again lol xD This time on Bell Gargoyle. First phase I can get passed, but the 2nd phase keeps getting me. That 2nd gargoyle really throws me off, and then they both start blowing flames from their mouths, I can't get around to poking them with my spear. I usually only have 1-2 estuses left by the time I get to the boss from the blacksmith bonfire not to far off. Any tips? I'm a wanderer btw.

EDIT: Also, how come my rolling is impaired even though I have less than 50% item burdern? Did that change from Demon's Souls?

Just rage quitted again lol xD This time on Bell Gargoyle. First phase I can get passed, but the 2nd phase keeps getting me. That 2nd gargoyle really throws me off, and then they both start blowing flames from their mouths, I can't get around to poking them with my spear. I usually only have 1-2 estuses left by the time I get to the boss from the blacksmith bonfire not to far off. Any tips? I'm a wanderer btw.

EDIT: Also, how come my rolling is impaired even though I have less than 50% item burdern? Did that change from Demon's Souls?

Inside the church just next to stairs is an elevator. Get on that, use the central bonfire and it will give you 10 flasks. If you have any humanit to reverse hollowing and have talked to Solaire and accepted his offer, you will be able to summon him for the fight. When other Gargoyle is about to come, you will have a few seconds, just attack first one as much as you can before the other spits fire. If you summon Solaire, it will be a very easy fight. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom