• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) - New interviews, details, artwork/screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavik81

I probably wasn't going to buy it until a price drop anyways (since I own the PS3 version), but man that's sad.

I really hope they listen to the community.

Aselith

Not virtually none, actually none.

Supposedly locked at 720p so no PC resolutions supported
Bare minimum mouse/kb support
No graphics options
30fps locked
GFWL online

It's like they asked themselves "what's the worst possible port we could make?" and then did that.

What if I told you it had mouse clickable menus?

Locked framerate can likely be bypassed with an outside mod, though I dunno how that'll affect online play.

Well look at the disaster that is From Dust on PC.

Locked 30 fps. People make hacks to get around it, but doing so sped up the speed of the game.

edit: beaten

kewlmyc

Holy crap, maybe we should have waited until the next Souls game for a PC version to come out. This seems pretty half assed.

Really? How is something like that possible?
Probably frame-based physics computation instead of time-based. It's not too uncommon with certain platforms (like Flash), because it's a lot easier to do.

720p @ 30fps, I'm disappointed. Still buying it in hopes of future Souls games on PC that's actually not shoddy.

Zeliard

Well look at the disaster that is From Dust on PC.

Locked 30 fps. People make hacks to get around it, but doing so sped up the speed of the game.

Sure but there are other examples of games that were locked at 30 FPS and featured effective 60 FPS unlockers, like Transformers. Remains to be seen which category Dark Souls falls into.

Zzoram

if they had 30fps locked for physics reasons

BUT

supported 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 resolution and better textures, I could live with that and GFWL and buy it on sale.

High resolution and better textures plus Steamworks instead of GFWL would make me buy it day 1.

30fps AND 720p low resolution textures? No sale.

Aselith

Holy crap, maybe we should have waited until the next Souls game for a PC version to come out. This seems pretty half assed.

Maybe this is a practice port for when they do DS2 like when you tumble an ugly girl so you don't lose your shit for the prom queen.

scitek

I feel bad for From Soft because they may genuinely be excited to be working on a new platform, and they just don't know what standards PC gamers expect. So, they're going to be accused of making a shit port when, in their minds, it's probably going to be a perfectly capable one. They're in a no-win situation here unless somehow we're able to tell him what we expect.

Derrick01

Banned
Not virtually none, actually none.

Supposedly locked at 720p so no PC resolutions supported
Bare minimum mouse/kb support
No graphics options
30fps locked
GFWL online

It's like they asked themselves "what's the worst possible port we could make?" and then did that.

Haha this has a chance of beating Saints Row 2 for worst PC port. I don't have that installed right now but I remember it at least having some graphics options. The CD key worked on Steam too back when steamworks was in its infancy. So it beats Dark Souls there.

Teknoman

if they had 30fps locked for physics reasons

BUT

supported 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 resolution and better textures, I could live with that and GFWL and buy it on sale.

High resolution and better textures plus Steamworks instead of GFWL would make me buy it day 1.

30fps AND 720p low resolution textures? No sale.

Yeah I wouldnt complain about 30 fps locked, since a constant 30fps can look pretty smooth depending on the situation, but locked res?

Gvaz

Banned
I agree, console owners are so stupid. I mean, just look at them!

Now now, it's not fair to make fun of mentally challenged folk. They can't help it ;p

Really? How is something like that possible?

Poor coding. Or to be more exact:

Probably frame-based physics computation instead of time-based. It's not too uncommon with certain platforms (like Flash), because it's a lot easier to do.

It's easier to do so they do it, and since the "goal" is to hit 30fps on consoles anyways because the bar is lowered for the older hardware, it's more attractive to code it in that fashion.

But when you have a system that can take advantage of the increase in resources on the platform like the PC, then it all goes to shit.

Sure but there are other examples of games that were locked at 30 FPS and featured effective 60 FPS unlockers, like Transformers. Remains to be seen which category Dark Souls falls into.

LA Noire got an fps unlocker.

Aselith

I feel bad for From Soft because they may genuinely be excited to be working on a new platform, and they just don't know what standards PC gamers expect. So, they're going to be accused of making a shit port when, in their minds, it's probably going to be a perfectly capable one. They're in a no-win situation here unless somehow we're able to tell him what we expect.

It's a shame that Namco didn't call in a few Capcom people to do some PC consulting work since they cooperating on various console games. Capcom would have set this whole thing right minus the GFWL.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
How would Dark Souls having anything based on framerate anyway? Wouldn't a fluctuating framerate destroy the usefulness of that?

Tain

Phyre Engine is supposed to be fairly flexible middleware stuff, right? Anybody with any expertise with it want to chime in on the 30 fps thing?

morningbus said:
How would Dark Souls having anything based on framerate anyway? Wouldn't a fluctuating framerate destroy the usefulness of that?

There's this, too. I'm 99% sure that Dark Souls has moments where it drops frames without it affecting game speed. As long as its capable of that, I don't see why 60fps would be a problem.

unless, like, character animations don't interpolate and they can't update the dynamic physics calculation frequency.

DTKT

It's a shame that Namco didn't call in a few Capcom people to do some PC consulting work since they cooperating on various console games. Capcom would have set this whole thing right minus the GFWL.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, Dead Rising 2 was a really solid port.

Eusis

Phyre Engine is supposed to be fairly flexible middleware stuff, right? Anybody with any expertise with it want to chime in on the 30 fps thing?
Atelier Rorona is on it and can run at 60 FPS on the PS3.

... This is why I'd assume physics or online functionality before engine limitations, because clearly 60 FPS ISN'T inherently an issue here.

EDIT: OH, crazy thought here: What if he's saying he can't guarantee 60 FPS because not all computers, even higher end ones, may be able to run it at 60 FPS reliably? Wouldn't surprise me, I bet Blighttown could feasibly send most non-SLI systems into at least 40s.

Grayman

It looks like this game is going to be the start of a long process.

Put your game on PC
OK! Here is the worst possible port!

To work in this industry you should be required to read Rock Paper Shotgun, even Ars Technica, or Borys posts for a year.

Aselith

It's very good. As is RE5 and DMC4 and SF4 (as far as I know; haven't played that one.) Really anything that they've ported in the HD generation has been excellent on PC. They were chucking out the stinkers during the PS2 era though.

Tain

Eusis said:
EDIT: OH, crazy thought here: What if he's saying he can't guarantee 60 FPS because not all computers, even higher end ones, may be able to run it at 60 FPS reliably? Wouldn't surprise me, I bet Blighttown could feasibly send most non-SLI systems into at least 40s.

Wouldn't at all surprise me. That interview is way too flakey to be confirmation of anything.

Zzoram

I hope he's just clueless about PCs and said incorrect stuff in his interview.

I really want to replay this game with better graphics and a smooth Blighttown.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

I believe all MT Framework games look and run great on PC even Lost Planet 1( iirc MT Framework games usually lead on PC first then get ported to PS360)however Capcom uses GFWL so that undo all the good things about their PC versions.

FROM is going to take a hit if most of this is true, though I cannot be the only one who detects that Miyazaki still somewhat resents the DLC and the delivered incomplete stigma. Sure, he'll cash the check, though based on prior performance I have a hard time accepting they were intentionally looking to phone in the port and would sooner believe the DLC was already coming on consoles and we are now seeing the rest finalized online. That of course means nothing in justifying what may be considered a sub-standard purchase for some. The series has been relatively backlash proof. Already reduced to unplayable deep fried ass within a week of the announcement, dissertations on how the game was not really all that special cannot be that far off.

Zeliard

Atelier Rorona is on it and can run at 60 FPS on the PS3.

... This is why I'd assume physics or online functionality before engine limitations, because clearly 60 FPS ISN'T inherently an issue here.

duckroll said he "specifically says not to expect 60 FPS" but Miyazaki apparently didn't elaborate further, so it's unknown what he may have really meant.

I mean the guy (as awesome as he otherwise is) seems to known roughly nothing about the PC development process so who knows how to really take his comments.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
After months of begging for the pc version you finally get a port, but instead of looking forward to the game, you guys are bitching... I don't get it at all.

tViDv.jpg

I think people are trolling at this point. It can not possibly get any clearer...

I believe all MT Framework games look and run great on PC even Lost Planet 1( iirc MT Framework games usually lead on PC first then get ported to PS360)however Capcom uses GFWL so that undo all the good things about their PC versions.

no GFWL for DMC4!

heh, i remember the 1UP review docked points for no mouse + keyboard support for it. still trying to wrap my brain around that.

dissertations on how the game was not really all that special cannot be that far off.

no they aren't

Eusis

duckroll said he "specifically says not to expect 60 FPS" but Miyazaki apparently didn't elaborate further, so it's unknown what he may have really meant.

I mean the guy (as awesome as he otherwise is) seems to known roughly nothing about the PC development process so who knows how to really take his comments.
Could also mean the port won't be as fully optimized as it could... which can be a bigger problem than merely "it's not locked at 30 FPS". Or he expects really low end systems.

Although, it DOES make it sound like they'll take it into consideration and aim for higher than 30, so we'll just have to wait and see.

hteng

Banned
despite all the controversial statements, i'm still buying it to support Fromsoft. Really, this is new territory for Fromsoft, they've only made 1 PC game (ninja blade) so far, and it was also a port.

The game is also releasing on quite a tight schedule, so i figure they are already short handed from testing the new contents, old content must be all tested as well since it's a completely different platform.

As long as they deliver a polished game with minimum glitches, I'm fine, be it 30 fps @ 720p.

They may add additional graphical options in the future, we'll see.

kewlmyc

I can live with no mod support and even 30fps. But 720p locked? Why? There's absolutely no reason why. It's as if they're implying that they made this game in 720p, graphic models and all.

LiK

I can live with no mod support and even 30fps. But 720p locked? Why? There's absolutely no reason why. It's as if they're implying that they made this game in 720p, graphic models and all.

probably is, the game is artistically beautiful but technically, not that amazing.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
no GFWL for DMC4!

heh, i remember the 1UP review docked points for no mouse + keyboard support for it. still trying to wrap my brain around that.

no they aren't

yeah, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition and DMC4 didn't used GFWL, but after that all of Capcom PC games used it for some unknown reasons.

Aselith

FROM is going to take a hit if most of this is true, though I cannot be the only one who detects that Miyazaki still somewhat resents the DLC and the delivered incomplete stigma. Sure, he'll cash the check, though based on prior performance I have a hard time accepting they were intentionally looking to phone in the port and would sooner believe the DLC was already coming on consoles and we are now seeing the rest finalized online. That of course means nothing in justifying what may be considered a sub-standard purchase for some. The series has been relatively backlash proof. Already reduced to unplayable deep fried ass within a week of the announcement, dissertations on how the game was not really all that special cannot be that far off.

You don't understand. Context is key here. Having low framerate/low resolution on a console is fine because people are used to that on the platform. When you put it on a PC where people are used to high frame/high res, it looks fucking AWFUL.

It's hard for me to play console shooters because the game just feels very sluggish after playing everything at buttersmooth and near 60 FPS framerates. Were I used to that because I didn't play PC, it wouldn't be a problem.

It's like taking your stock Lamborghini into a Nascar race and expecting it to still be considered fast. It won't be able to compete because the other cars just have too much under the hood.

Zzoram

despite all the controversial statements, i'm still buying it to support Fromsoft. Really, this is new territory for Fromsoft, they've only made 1 PC game (ninja blade) so far, and it was also a port.

The game is also releasing on quite a tight schedule, so i figure they are already short handed from testing the new contents, old content must be all tested as well since it's a completely different platform.

As long as they deliver a polished game with minimum glitches, I'm fine, be it 30 fps @ 720p.

They may add additional graphical options in the future, we'll see.

If it's a GFWL game, they won't. Microsoft charges money for GFWL patches, while Valve makes Steamworks patching free.

Sticking with my PS3 version until I actually hear something that makes the PC version sound better. I can wait for either a console port of the bonus content, or for the modding community to determine if the various locks are bypassable.

Hell, I'm still waiting for a 3DS revision/region-free hack, I got no problem with being patient for what I perceive to be a flaw.

DTKT

If it's a GFWL game, they won't. Microsoft charges money for GFWL patches, while Valve makes Steamworks patching free.

I thought that was just for Xbox Live? I mean, Tim Schafer mentionned the issue but that was for Brutal Legend which never came out on PC.

Koroviev

While unfortunate, I can't say that I'm surprised. I mean, nothing is set in stone yet, but that interview does not inspire a whole lot of confidence. I hope the situation is better than it sounds, but if not, then I feel bad for From Software. I want to support them on PC, but I don't know if I can get behind a version that doesn't take advantage of the platform's capabilities. If it is in fact a straight port, but with GFWL included, then honestly, I think I would prefer the PS3 version.

Eusis

I thought that was just for Xbox Live? I mean, Tim Schafer mentionned the issue but that was for Brutal Legend which never came out on PC.
Read up on Dawn of War II. They stuck with GFWL because they thought it'd make things easier, only for things to drag due to certification and to be actively limited, partially by those charges, in patching further, both TERRIBLE for an RTS that can need updates on a moment's notice. It's why Retribution became stand alone and Steamworks.

I can't believe that this will be the case for this game. They are even going to lock the framerate?

Maybe it is all just some misunderstanding. Seems like Bandai is handling most of the work so maybe the developer is just ignorant about PC games?

I'm being way too optimistic....

Zzoram

Read up on Dawn of War II. They stuck with GFWL because they thought it'd make things easier, only for things to drag due to certification and to be actively limited, partially by those charges, in patching further, both TERRIBLE for an RTS that can need updates on a moment's notice. It's why Retribution became stand alone and Steamworks.

Yep. Everyone except Capcom has abandoned GFWL because it's awful. EA uses Origin and everyone else is using Steamworks or nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom