• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) - New interviews, details, artwork/screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zimbardo

just out of curiosity ...could hacking the .exe in order to increase the framerate, etc., be similar to using a cracked .exe ? ...where if that was the case, you probably wouldn't be able to play the multiplayer portion of the game.

which would suck.

i really don't want to have to rely on community hacks to get this thing running properly.

RedSwirl

Holy crap, maybe we should have waited until the next Souls game for a PC version to come out. This seems pretty half assed.

If this does well (heh) the next Souls game probably will be on PC from the start.

Hell, a Demon's Souls PC port isn't completely out of the question since Sony does publish PC games.

Tain

I can't believe that this will be the case for this game. They are even going to lock the framerate?

Maybe it is all just some misunderstanding. Seems like Bandai is handling most of the work so maybe the developer is just ignorant about PC games?

I'm being way too optimistic....

I think that the people expecting locks on resolution and framerate are being too pessimistic/paranoid. I guess we'll see.

NeoForte

What's wrong with 30FPS? Granted I like 60FPS+ if I can run it on high intensity games like FPSs, but Dark Souls played just fine at 30. Would it be nice to go higher? Sure. But if it's a constant 30FPS and doesn't dip at all (and there is no screen tearing), I don't see the problem.

ijed

Now now, it's not fair to make fun of mentally challenged folk. They can't help it ;p

This comment from the guy that wants to play with trainers and cheats because he wants the atmosphere but none of the challenge?

Zzoram

What's wrong with 30FPS? Granted I like 60FPS+ if I can run it on high intensity games like FPSs, but Dark Souls played just fine at 30. Would it be nice to go higher? Sure. But if it's a constant 30FPS and doesn't dip at all (and there is no screen tearing), I don't see the problem.

If you can run 60, why be artificially limited to 30?

This game is a timing based action game. Those benefit a lot from 60fps.

I think that the people expecting locks on resolution and framerate are being too pessimistic/paranoid. I guess we'll see.

I still think its very possible that the Resolution comment was regarding the art assets and not actual display options, and that the FPS comment (while somewhat more possible to be true) could be referring to the demanding nature of the game, and that most computers will have trouble bringing it to 60fps, due to the lack of PC optimization.

I'm being optimistic. Have the PS3 version so not worried if its meh, but will be extremely sad for the potential PC experience I would have had.

NeoForte

Well that's more of a delay on the responce of the controls than FPS. If it's always constant 30, then tht shouldn't matter unless they fuck up the timing of your character's reactions when you press a button.

Zimbardo

there's a pretty huge difference between a locked 30fps and locked 60fps.

60fps is way smoother and fluid looking. once you get used to that, you really have a hard time readjusting to 30 again. i do anyway.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

The pace of the action is pretty deliberate, so ordinarily I'd argue 60fps isn't very important. However, DS on consoles (PS3 at least) suffered from some wonky input detection, and if they could fix that, it would be a big improvement. If 60fps is the way to fix it, then they should do that. If they can fix it at 30fps, I'd say that's acceptable. (Putting aside that no PC game should have an artificially limited frame rate.)

ijed

Would co-op and PvP have anything to do with it? People that could run at 60fps would have an advantage over people running at a lower fps ... wouldn't a locked fps level the playing field?

Zzoram

Would co-op and PvP have anything to do with it? People that could run at 60fps would have an advantage over people running at a lower fps ... wouldn't a locked fps level the playing field?

With that reasoning, the game should run in 360p so everyone's PC can run it smoothly.

PC's aren't equal. That's one of the reasons why PC games have graphics settings, so that you can reduce your graphics to get better performance, particularly when playing online.

I don't think that is his reasoning. It would also be craziness to cripple performance for everyone because someone you run into online might may not have a machine capable of maintaining a higher framerate.

You don't understand. Context is key here. Having low framerate/low resolution on a console is fine because people are used to that on the platform. When you put it on a PC where people are used to high frame/high res, it looks fucking AWFUL.

It's hard for me to play console shooters because the game just feels very sluggish after playing everything at buttersmooth and near 60 FPS framerates. Were I used to that because I didn't play PC, it wouldn't be a problem.

It's like taking your stock Lamborghini into a Nascar race and expecting it to still be considered fast. It won't be able to compete because the other cars just have too much under the hood.

I do understand [plenty of playtime on PC, just not my first choice] and was referring to the assault on the console versions gaining extra traction since the tease. I also made sure to qualify it with the doesn't make it acceptable bit and made no mention of the mercy purchase. There are just so few other groups like the ultra pro-PC that cannot make a positive point for their choice without trying to tear down the alternative when nobody was looking for a comparison. And then I saw something about cars and tapped out.

I'm ok with 30FPS I guess, as long as they optimize it to run locked up and down for a large variety of computers. 60+ would obviously be miles better but seeing blighttown at a locked 30 would definitely be an "improvement".

Though I won't buy it if I can't change the resolution. It will look horrible on my monitor :(

scitek

The 30fps thing isn't a deal-breaker for me, honestly. I play The Witcher 2 locked at 30 to keep it from stuttering, and it's fine, but the resolution had best be adjustable.

Zzoram

Yep.

30fps sucks, but can be lived with

720p locked resolution is an absolute deal breaker for anyone with a monitor that has a native resolution above 1280x800 (so basically everyone with a gaming PC)

Sullichin

They're really doing a great job with this PC announcement. People are hoping locked resolution/framerate is a mistranslation / wrong information / is going to be changed, hoping that they will change their mind about GFWL, and hoping they will bring the content to consoles. Only about 10% of the posts are discussing the new content or excitement around a PC release.

They're really doing a great job with this PC announcement. People are hoping locked resolution/framerate is a mistranslation / wrong information / is going to be changed, hoping that they will change their mind about GFWL, and hoping they will bring the content to consoles. Only about 10% of the posts are discussing the new content or excitement around a PC release.

That's because more Dark Souls = more awesome. There's isn't much to talk/argue about.

Horrible ports on the other hand are always a hot topic for discussion :)

Also because all of this PC port stuff is a complete buzzkill. People will talk about the content more once the rage has burned off.

It is incredibly unfortunate. Dark Souls is such a great game but virtually everything surrounding the PC port has been bungled, even the preannouncement announcement.

Cyrano

That's because there's so much wrong with the technical side that people can't even worry about/enjoy the new content. Which is a shame.

Welp, this is certainly disappointing. I was expecting a pretty basic port, but this (if true) is even less effort than I expected.

Is there any precedent for resolution-locked PC games? I can't say I've ever seen that outside of a few indie games (usually with 2D art targeted at a single resolution). Maybe it just means the interface/HUD won't be scaled up for higher resolutions.

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic, since I still really want to play this damn game. I was planning to day-one this, but if the worst case turns out to be true I'll probably wait for a sale.

It is incredibly unfortunate. Dark Souls is such a great game but virtually everything surrounding the PC port has been bungled, even the preannouncement announcement.

Yep. I'm still really impressed that they're doing the port at all, but everything else has been really poorly handled.

I haven't been this elated regarding gaming news since October. Just seeing the concept art alone brings back the chills. And I always enjoy when there are new reasons to interview Miyazaki and keeping up with all of the new FROM-related info. drops like the great links posted in this/the other thread. Though the fact that no news has really been great news beyond the release itself is going to be a downer. The rumored presentation definitely does not complement the marvel at the core of it all. That said, I have no PvP game and fear I never will and it is too late now to turn that around on consoles. Maybe the PC will allow me to make a decent run for it from scratch?

Mxrz

Sounds like they need GFWL for the online/matchmaking. That does make it seem like a straight 360 port. Probably cheaper and easier then plugging in new stuff.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Rock solid 30 I am down with. I can deal with GFWL. But the resolution comment has to be a misunderstanding, I bet it all on that. I've never seen a pc game that didn't come with those options, even the worst shovelports have this.

This is absolutely a misunderstanding.

ElFly

Has any recent major pc game been released without resolution controls?

Now, fixed FPS may be forced upon the game (but even that could be fixed by a hack) but I kind of doubt someone will have the balls to get the game out without configurable resolution.

Raw64life

Sounds awful. If all this stuff is really true I'll just get the DLC for the console version I already own. I'd love to play this game at 60 FPS to the point that I'd be willing to sacrifice the multiplayer aspect of it in order to do so if it's really going to come down to people having to hack the game just to get it to run properly.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Read up on Dawn of War II. They stuck with GFWL because they thought it'd make things easier, only for things to drag due to certification and to be actively limited, partially by those charges, in patching further, both TERRIBLE for an RTS that can need updates on a moment's notice. It's why Retribution became stand alone and Steamworks.

Wooha that is horrible

GFWL need to die

Yep. Everyone except Capcom has abandoned GFWL because it's awful. EA uses Origin and everyone else is using Steamworks or nothing.

Capcom and Warner Bros

Everyone else who used it in the past jumped out and went Steamworks ( Take Two/2k/Rockstar, SEGA,THQ,Bethesda,even Codemasters and many other)GFWL is shit and publishers know that.

Zzoram

Also, Steamworks is completely free but GFWL charges money for patching.

It actually just makes no sense to use GFWL at all.

Emitan

Netcode porting. I'm also assuming their logic is "we already made this game a few months ago, why would we EVER need to patch it?"

I don't agree with it but it's very obvious why they chose GFWL. Cheapest port possible. Everything is ported directly including the online services. I also doubt they care about the patching prices cause they probably won't be patching shit.

DTKT

I wish we could get a dev comment on integrating Steamworks and MP.

My best guess is that From Software want to "cut corners" where they can. And really, it makes little sense to integrate a new platform when you have code that can easily ported into a familiar platform.

Zero commitment to the PC platform. :(

I wish we could get a dev comment on integrating Steamworks and MP.

My best guess is that From Software want to "cut corners" where they can. And really, it makes little sense to integrate a new platform when you have code that can easily ported into a familiar platform.

Zero commitment to the PC platform. :(

I think From doesn't know a damn thin g about PC gaming and Namco is calling the shots regarding how many corners are being cut.

I'm sure some people will be able to remove the 30 FPS cap like they did with Bully and Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon if it comes to it.

Also, I really hope the resolution comment is mistranslated/a misunderstanding. Isn't the game's res some weird number? I remember reading an article on it.

LiK

UrbanRats

After reading the interview, From sounds a bit like a fish out of water when it comes to PC games, in this instance, i wish they would outsource the porting to someone with experience on the platform, although since all of this comes from Bamco, being cheap-ass publishers, it would end up being even worst, probably; they would outsource it to some highschool kids in their garage or something.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
After reading the interview, From sounds a bit like a fish out of water when it comes to PC games, in this instance, i wish they would outsource the porting to someone with experience on the platform, although since all of this comes from Bamco, being cheap-ass publishers, it would end up being even worst, probably; they would outsource it to some highschool kids in their garage or something.

But they did the Ninja Blade port and iirc people were saying it was a decent port job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom