• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) - New interviews, details, artwork/screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

wutwutwut

So then don't buy it, geez. Namco isn't forcing any of you. You guys just bitch and cry and then say you're going to buy it anyway. Yeah, that'll show them...

"Namco, you guys did a fucking terrible job. This is a worthless product. Here, take my money."
Complaining about it at this point might actually result in it being fixed.

Zeliard

I agree but the same goes for PC gamers taking an opposite stance. As a proponent of voting with your dollar I say let people buy what they want, hell, I might even buy it myself.

There were some posters at the beginning piling on Orayn because he said he was still gonna support it but now the console people have turned it around calling everyone who doesn't want to buy a presumably shoddy port "entitled". I have really no idea why though, people get stupid when it comes to their favourite games, they feel offended whatever.

I mean, just look at this worthless post:

Oh I'm not arguing against any of that. Those people are crazy.

I'm on the side of the people annoyed by this apparently shitastic port. I own the game on PS3 and have beaten it, so I know how great a game it is, and it's a shame so many who have never played it will be put off by a lackluster port.

jett

D-Member
It practically will be when all PC users pirate it anyway.

ibq5qNIznbIHYg.gif

Teknoman

Basically this is what PC gamers/multiplatform gamers are afraid of:

Just to Clarify ...

I certainly wasn't attacking anyone with my last post, re: HD etc. I was just asking a question.

As a CONSOLE gamer myself, I'm used to games running at 1280x720 with an FPS of 20 to 40fps (GTA4, Assasins etc) and I am fine with that, I do NOT (personally) need to see the game running at 60+ fps to be made happy, the GAME is everything do me.

Where the problem lies is *I* didn't actually think PC gamers were ninjas at wanting the highest FPS NO MATTER WHAT!

So from my point of view, I'm sorry, my bad. FYI I'm the CEO of JAW not a programmer, I will now move to beat our programmers to make sure they fix the issue.

Now I will say that GoldenHelmet did good by everyone by sticking around, taking advice and constructive criticisim, and actually trying to fix the port to the best of their abilities...however if something similar happens with Dark Souls...we probably wont have the same chance to actually discuss the problem with people who handled the port.

Styles

After months of begging for the pc version you finally get a port, but instead of looking forward to the game, you guys are bitching... I don't get it at all.

It practically will be when all PC users pirate it anyway.

It practically will be? How does that lower the price?

Now I will say that GoldenHelmet did good by everyone by sticking around, taking advice and constructive criticisim, and actually trying to fix the port to the best of their abilities...however if something similar happens with Dark Souls...we probably wont have the same chance to actually discuss the problem with people who handled the port.

That was even worse though, that game to this day still will not work on my PC. I paid $15 for literally nothing.

Eusis

After months of begging for the pc version you finally get a port, but instead of looking forward to the game, you guys are bitching... I don't get it at all.
If you read over the replies you should be able to at least SEE why, whether or not you agree. The "We asked for a blu-ray, and got a DVD burned to a blu-ray!" analogy was most fitting.

Zeliard

Shitty console --> PC ports have been particularly problematic this generation and they aren't really anything to cheer about. A mid-range PC these days is capable of much more than consoles and it's silly to technically restrict it in the ways they apparently are.

DTKT

Yeah! It feels great when that they release that old DVD on BR but without the "HD".

Feels awesome.

Jaggies just give off a nice retro feel.

It's a shame they didn't want to make the game more cinematic, 30fps is still too high...

Boom. Should have been first post. And with a Francis York Morgan avatar, no less.

PC-only people: ignore for a second the (seemingly) graphical shortcomings the port will have and please focus in enjoying this great atmospheric and hard action RPG.
Why? If they don't feel it's worth it until it drops in price I don't see the problem.

Did they say what the MSRP for it is yet anyhow?

Zzoram

Boom. Should have been first post. And with a Francis York Morgan avatar, no less.

PC-only people: ignore for a second the (seemingly) graphical shortcomings the port will have and please focus in enjoying this great atmospheric and hard action RPG.

darksoulscreen_02.jpg

If the game looks like this, it will be looking WORSE than console versions despite coming out over a year later.

Teknoman

It practically will be? How does that lower the price?

That was even worse though, that game to this day still will not work on my PC. I paid $15 for literally nothing.

I'm still waiting until we hopefully get the HD edition assets...but who knows if thats still happening.

that quote hurts my brain. cool if that game is really fixed but...man. :\

why did they censor his arm?

http://www.novacrystallis.com/Darksouls/darksoulscreen_02.jp g[IMG]

If the game looks like this, it will be looking WORSE than console versions despite coming out over a year later.[/QUOTE]

You'll surely be on your knees, crying blood tears of happiness when fighting this boss, who cares if it looks (that) shitty.

I'm still waiting until we hopefully get the HD edition assets...but who knows if thats still happening.

That still hasn't happened? I doubt it ever will, the PS3 has been out so long and I can't even get it to run, it goes black once it hits the title screen for me. I wish it would just boot so I can actually play it, I'm so frustrated with that stupid port I don't even care if I never get HD assets, I just want it to play.

why did they censor his arm?
Some of us still can't even get past the title screen. :/ That was bar none the worst PC port EVER.

Well locked low framerate and resolution makes it easy to pass on it for it's likely usage of GFWL.

Hopefully for those without consoles, someone figures out some cfg hacks or something.

Zzoram

You'll surely be on your knees, crying blood tears of happiness when fighting this boss, who cares if it looks (that) shitty.

Lots of people care. Dark Souls looks great, and that's part of the appeal of the game. These upscaled blurry images look far worse than the original PS3 game.

Nobody will buy a year+ late port with WORSE graphics.

As some one who plays it on 360 I can't see how people fail to understand the disappointment of a game not being optimized for PC. These guys spend a lot of money for their rigs so it won't have the consoles short comings. This game is far from perfect on console. The frame rate dips way too often. This port sounds about as lazy as any I have ever heard of. They have every right to be upset. Namco has literally done shit to take advantage of the superior hardware. Hell they aren't even giving proper mouse and KB support. I enjoy this game on console, but if you are gonna go PC do it right and put some amount of work into it and the PC community will be grateful. This shit is just laughable.

Zeliard

Well locked low framerate and resolution makes it easy to pass on it for it's likely usage of GFWL.

Hopefully for those without consoles, someone figures out some cfg hacks or something.

Locked framerate can likely be bypassed with an outside mod, though I dunno how that'll affect online play.

huh? I wasn't busting on pc gamers. "Prepare to cry" at the wasted potential.

Derrick01

Banned

It's really not hard to understand that PC gamers aren't happy with a garbage port. They have certain basic standards that need to be met and virtually none of them are.

Teknoman

That still hasn't happened? I doubt it ever will, the PS3 has been out so long and I can't even get it to run, it goes black once it hits the title screen for me. I wish it would just boot so I can actually play it, I'm so frustrated with that stupid port I don't even care if I never get HD assets, I just want it to play.

Some of us still can't even get past the title screen. :/ That was bar none the worst PC port EVER.

And that is exactly why people are complaining about the what the interview may entail. Dark Souls ending up as the "Strangers Wrath quality" port of 2012 would just be a travesty.

I really hope all the people asking "why the complaints?" take a moment to check out the Strangers Wrath/Munch's Odyssey port thread, or at least the quote I pulled from it. Its not a matter of feeling entitled...its just a matter of doing the job right.

Imagine getting a 360/PS3 port of Tatsunoko vs Capcom, only to have it be stuck at 480p and not be voice chat compatible.

Zzoram

It's really not hard to understand that PC gamers aren't happy with a garbage port. They have certain basic standards that need to be met and virtually none of them are.

Not virtually none, actually none.

Supposedly locked at 720p so no PC resolutions supported
Bare minimum mouse/kb support
No graphics options
30fps locked
GFWL online

It's like they asked themselves "what's the worst possible port we could make?" and then did that.

And that is exactly why people are complaining about the what the interview may entail. Dark Souls ending up as the "Strangers Wrath quality" port of 2012 would just be a travesty.

I really hope all the people asking "why the complaints?" take a moment to check out the Strangers Wrath/Munch's Odyssey port thread, or at least the quote I pulled from it. Its not a matter of feeling entitled...its just a matter of doing the job right.

Imagine getting a 360/PS3 port of Tatsunoko vs Capcom, only to have it be stuck at 480p and not be voice chat compatible.

Ya, it's weird more people will agree to rage over on disk DLC than a terrible port job. Or like others have said, the terrible skyrim and fallout ports that literally would kill themselves if you saved too much.

Gvaz

Banned
There's no logical reason to make a 3D game in a locked resolution such as 720p. I just don't see that happening for any game ever. There's no real reason to lock the framerate at 30FPS either, but I can see the port team "forgetting" about that more easily.

I hope they back down on GFWL, though I'll probably buy it either way...
From Dust was locked to 30fps on the pc because the physics was linked to the fps. If you had 60fps or more, everything was fucked up :\

Tain

I would be astonished if the resolution were locked.

Framerate, well... I'm not sure that I'd double dip on this game for a 30 FPS version. I'd live with the game running at 60 and the dynamic physics running at 30, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom