• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Trilogy Remastered - PS4/Xbox/PC/Switch - Details In Thread

iconmaster

Banned
It’s 4K 60fps Dark Souls with demonstrable lighting and texture improvements.

I’d love the Bluepoint treatment as much as anyone but this still seems pretty okay.

Ar¢tos

It’s 4K 60fps Dark Souls with demonstrable lighting and texture improvements.

I’d love the Bluepoint treatment as much as anyone but this still seems pretty okay.
I don't think Namco can afford Bluepoint for a full remake, but a basic remaster is enough for those that never played it on ps3/360 to get a chance to experience it.
Sony has been keeping Bluepoint busy, hopefully with Demon's Souls remake now. :)

Snoopycat

Banned
I'm not surprised it's been delayed really. They've hardly showed anything from the remaster apart from the opening, which is very strange because it's not as if there are any spoilers.

Ophiuchus

Forgive my curiosity but why are there so many low replies on all threads recently? I know that somethings have happened but it seems user base has declined critically.

Last edited:

Ophiuchus

Man this should be a free upgrade for PC owners.

As well as I recall there hasn't been any discount on Dark Souls recently, at least on steam. Thus, I think that it will be discounted for the ones who already have it. And it would be the reasonable thing to do.

Yagami_Sama

Oh no. This is awful.

I was looking forward for this game on May. This is so disappointing.

I hope that this means that the quality of the game will be improved. And I hope that sales of the Switch version is not affected.

Dubloon7

Banned
Switch version, and amiibo, delayed until Summer

i see that too on my twitter account. I read comments and someone posted a video from PAXEast of Switch playthru, i laughed at the end nintendo CS response of "Why do they only attack 10 points?" and the Nintendo rep says "b/c they are a low level". LOL WUT???? You ever hear of a SL1 playthru. This is bollocks! What is happening to the switch game?

Side note: Blighttown on switch in said video looks GREEEEEEEEEAT!

iconmaster

Banned
Well crap.

Yeah, uh... even Blighttown looks totally smooth already. Have to wonder if this is a business decision rather than a development issue.

Last edited:

Dubloon7

Banned
Well crap.

Yeah, uh... even Blighttown looks totally smooth already. Have to wonder if this is a business decision rather than a development issue.

i mentioned this video in my comment, didn't feel like posting the video though. thank you.

i'm more concerned about my 2 amiibos i preordered and if the orders will be cancelled now that the delay is unknown.

Business reasons?????????? not sure the logic there though

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
Well crap.

Not for a second will I believe that it's NOT a business decision. If that earns me a tinfoil hat, very well.

The game runs perfectly smooth as evidenced by the above video. Release was in just a month. And now BN found problem that neccesate a delay to late summer? Yeah no. A month before release, the game cartridges should be in or close to production.

It's rather easy to understand: people want DS on the go. If it's released alongside the other versions, many Switch users would only buy that version. After all this is an old ass game. Some more effects and 60fps aren't as attractive as having the game with you at all times.

By delaying the game, BN gets to grab money from DS-fans who want the remaster NOW, and gets their money again later when they still want portable DS.

At this point, considering Sega and Capcom do the same, Nintendo ought to enfore a rule akin to Sony's "every multi game has to have exclusive features" - except in Nintendo's case it'd be a measy "every multi fame has to release same day".

This is pure business. It's anti-consumer. Unfortunately, BN will get away with it, because postings like mine will be waved away as fanboy drivel and too many people are willing to double-dip. Sucks :(

Last edited:

NovumAngel

Banned
Possibly yes, games have been delayed close to release before. Have they even released the network test that was going to let players try it out?
If they assumed that every platform would work the same I can see someone making this mistake. The network test hasn't happened yet, all we got was "before the release".

iconmaster

Banned
Network performance is a reasonable explanation. It'd be easy to believe that being screwy on Switch. And it'd explain why Bandai doesn't just come out and say what the issue is, because it'd make Nintendo look bad.

Last edited:

Pejo

If it is network infrastructure stuff, I hope they decide to skip out on the increased player count online. I like DaS's online just how it is. DS3 had way too many people in one session, it took all the fun out of the game. Then you also had to deal with those bullshit fight clubs.

Ar¢tos

I already have 9 characters planned, I just need the game! I wish From would get rid of the 10 characters limitation in their games or increase the number of slots.

Masagiwa

Yeah it might be, but I also understand KevinKeene's argument. BN might have known about potential switch problems long before this delay announcement. However, if it was 100% a business decision to make people double dip why not just come out straight out of the gate and say "Ps4, Xbox, PC - X date" Switch coming later. Preorders?

Last edited:

MickeyPhree

Isn't a different team developing the switch version? Could have ended up finding some game breaking bug or issues with the online infastructure (which is what I'm guessing it is).

KevinKeene

Banned
For those thinking of handing out tinfoil hats to the double-dip 'theorists':

https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-platform-are-you-getting-dark-souls-remastered-on.17667/

While just one community's poll, anyone knowimg how statistics work realizes that the sample size is big enough to drwa significant conclusions. As can be seen, the vast majority of users intended to get the Switch-version. Now that it's delayed, many of those said they'd get the PS4-version. And the Switch-version later on, too. Because portability still remains as an attractive proposition.

I can't see it as anything but a clear cut (anti-consumer) business decision on BN's part. Should we ever find out about another reason, I'll take back what I'm saying now, but BN doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Dubloon7

Banned

https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-platform-are-you-getting-dark-souls-remastered-on.17667/

While just one community's poll, anyone knowimg how statistics work realizes that the sample size is big enough to drwa significant conclusions. As can be seen, the vast majority of users intended to get the Switch-version. Now that it's delayed, many of those said they'd get the PS4-version. And the Switch-version later on, too. Because portability still remains as an attractive proposition.

I can't see it as anything but a clear cut (anti-consumer) business decision on BN's part. Should we ever find out about another reason, I'll take back what I'm saying now, but BN doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.
i'll just believe that whomever is developing the switch version botched the online portion. yes, they cleaned up blighttown, but put the online activity on the backburner.

NovumAngel

Banned

I'm only seeing 2/3 people considering double dipping and one of them said only after a sale as well.

I'm keeping my Switch pre-order, the delay actually helps me since it was out close to Detroit, but I am worried about the amiibo pre-order and a potential fuck up there.

Masagiwa

I have to be clear that I am not trying to defend a multi million dollar publishing company. If the strategy was to get their buyers to double dip, why delay it close to release and not just choose a later date for the switch release from the get-go? Wouldn't that be less messy and have similar effects.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
I have to be clear that I am not trying to defend a multi million dollar publishing company. If the strategy was to get their buyers to double dip, why delay it close to release and not just choose a later date for the switch release from the get-go? Wouldn't that be less messy and have similar effects.

That would have worked, had the Switch-version not been the first one to be announced :) And people would still ask why the Switch-version, which is mostly a direct port of the original and not much of a remaster, takes longer.

As for 'why now', it's obvious: people had planned to get the Switch-version. Now that it's being pulled this close to release, more people are inclined to double-dip, because they want to play the game at the time they had planned to do so. I once took 2 weeks vacation to play a new Monster Hunter-game. You bet I'd have bought a different version, because I couldn't have moved my vacation just like that.

Vawn

Banned
Mother fu----

Wife and I are taking our annual trip to a resort in Mexico with another couple in early June. The plan was to bring the Switches and my buddy and I would sit out drinking and play some Dark Souls. Not to mention on the plane rides there and back.

Now what's the point in even going?

Ok, not serious about that last part, but this delay was pretty poorly timed for me personally.

Dubloon7

Banned
i guess i will cancel my PS4 preorders from target, and just set up a preorder thru amazon for a single ps4 copy and eventually switch.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Damn. I am getting the Switch version. I guess I will wait longer now. I like the game, but not enough to double (triple?) dip when the Switch version is only a few months out from the PS4 version.

Swizzle

Gold Member
Damn. I am getting the Switch version. I guess I will wait longer now. I like the game, but not enough to double (triple?) dip when the Switch version is only a few months out from the PS4 version.

If in docked and handheld modes the game keeps the stated resolution at all times and has decent AA then the frame rate gap in a game like this will not matter much. I own Doom on both PS4 and Switch and while it is impressive to see it running at all in handheld mode on the latter, if you have ever experienced it on the former at 60 FPS... the gap between the two version feels even larger (and resolution issues/soft handheld image on top). Motion blur, while excellent, does not cover the gap in this game.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Tell me I’m seeing motion blur or something, because I’m having a hard time focusing on the view?

Also, it’s really blurry on the X. No way is it 4k. I have no idea how it’s not 4k, like, at all...

Tell me I’m seeing motion blur or something, because I’m having a hard time focusing on the view?

Also, it’s really blurry on the X. No way is it 4k. I have no idea how it’s not 4k, like, at all...

There's definitely some form of motion blur. I just noticed it actually. It's not native 4k, per MS' official site listing:
https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

It definitely has to be 60fps though. Runs fast as hell. Wish it had HDR though.

Vawn

Banned
I really wish the Switch version released simultaneously, so I could decide which version to buy. If it's comparable to PS4, I'll get it there.

Good news: Blightown doesn't lag!
Bad news: I'm in Blightown
Good news: finished it without dieing, hopefully never going back

Last edited:
Top Bottom