• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls Trilogy Remastered - PS4/Xbox/PC/Switch - Details In Thread

BurstZyn

I guess I should have kept my expectations in check, but i just really wanted it to look like Dark Souls 3, and have the online similarities (passwords, better connecting, etc.) But everything else the same as last patch. Maybe a few bug fixes of course. All I wanted before Dark Souls 3, was a prettier looking Dark Souls that plays exactly like Dark Souls

Sorne

I'm still getting the game but.. I won't say I'm not a bit disapointed. I thought they would have atleast updated the textures around the environment, armors etc.

Dubloon7

Banned
Looks great to me and i wish they have added a photo mode.
same here. ever since PS4 was announced I was asking B-N, FS, AND Sony every single week on twitter to release a remaster and now they will. I don't care how it plays, I just replayed the PS3 version (and plat'd, cuz when i first played it years ago i didn't care about trophies; I still don't but having DS1 sit at 89% trophy completion where DS2, DS3, BB are all at 100%) my only dislike for this is the change to the blood spatter.

Kai Ozu

Looks like a pretty cheap port... The one thing they should have done for this version is cross play on all platforms.

Codes 208

Kinda expected this. Looks to be much of a "remaster" as scholars of the first sin was for current gen systems (except the framerate was all over the place) but ill still be buying for ps4 and maybe switch

manfestival

Bro I like how the original looks much more than the remaster. Whats the point of "remastering" something but not doing anything to the actual graphics and adding in new effects??

JP

It's never really going to be an attractive game unless they go back and rework some of the actual assets but it looks pretty damn good at 4k/60 to me.

Ar¢tos

Framerate and camera always were the real bosses in Dark Souls, if Blighttown runs smoothly it will completely ruin the experience!
I'm joking!

OH-MyCar

If a company like Capcom released a port like this and wanted people to buy it again on PC for superior bump-mapping & lighting after one of the worst ports of all-time, most online communities would be looking like the streets of Yharnam right about now. It's fascinating how everyone holds FromSoftware to a different standard just because Dark Souls itself is so great: "Blighttown works this time! $40, day one baby!".

Lesson to developers: If your game is good enough, PC gamers will buy the patch.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Looks like a hard pass for me. I was hoping for something like the DSfix PC version. I'll just stick with the original version.

GenericUser

The usual outcry. What did you people expect? It's a remaster, not a remake. Switching to the DS3 engine does not automatically mean they remade all the assets/environments. It's a decent looking game and console players get the chance to experience a 60 fps souls game - I think that's cool.

Orpheum

The usual outcry. What did you people expect? It's a remaster, not a remake. Switching to the DS3 engine does not automatically mean they remade all the assets/environments. It's a decent looking game and console players get the chance to experience a 60 fps souls game - I think that's cool.

Yup 60fps and higher resolution alone seal the deal for me. And it's my all time favorite Souls game on a current gen system. So i'm happy

tassletine

If anyone here hasn't played DS 60fps then they should. It improves the game a lot.

I'm more looking forward to playing it on a portable. I wonder if there are any touch controls?

DilWSTS

Will be purchasing this game for like the 5th time. Be great to experience it again...its been like 6 months haha

Pejo

I'm actually a little relieved that there aren't many changes. I would have probably been convinced to quadruple dip instead of just triple dipping. Now I'll pick up the Switch version for Souls on the go and call it a day. I hate that the extra summons are coming in though, DS3's online was terrible with gank squads and battle arena bullshit. I just want to invade a dude and cause him some grief, not do a pvp group battle every single time.

Ar¢tos

A bit of a cash grab... they could have done more to improve it. They adjusted some mechanics to match Dks3, but left others that would be great additions.
For 32€ i'll buy it, i have nothing else to play around that time anyway.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
A bit of a cash grab... they could have done more to improve it. They adjusted some mechanics to match Dks3, but left others that would be great additions.
For 32€ i'll buy it, i have nothing else to play around that time anyway.
Ah yes, somebody’s always gotta say “cash grab!”

I’d like to know when have games been made for charity. Because all games are cash grabs in that they’re designed to make money.

Ar¢tos

What they have done doesn't justify the price. 20-25€ would be more acceptable. Pc users get a worse deal than the rest.

Traxtech

I thought it looked bland until I watched digital foundrys video in 4k on my oled. Wow it looks good.

If they upped the bloom a bit it would look even better imo since yhe changes to lightning make some things look flat

Last edited:

Rodolink

I hope the old version gets discounted for like 2 dls after the remastered edition comes. The original has not seen a sale since many years ago...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well gee look at that. It never fails for a low rez screenshot from a magazine scan to get released and everyone assumes it looks terrible.

Of course now we have actual video and can see that it looks pretty damn good.

GAF never disappoints.

DonF

Well gee look at that. It never fails for a low rez screenshot from a magazine scan to get released and everyone assumes it looks terrible.

GAF never disappoints.
I wouldn't say it looks good. It looks like its just better resolution, but no work done on textures. Also, the change in lightning and some details, like souls and item drops, might be controversial.
Better frame rate is always good!

OH-MyCar

GAF never disappoints.

That's almost the exact the opposite of how this has gone down for most people; We had a low rez screenshot and everyone thought this thing was going to be completely remade with DS3 assets and coded with Christ's DNA. Now everyone's either underwhelmed or "fine with it" at best.

BadManEd

Neo Member
That's almost the exact the opposite of how this has gone down for most people; We had a low rez screenshot and everyone thought this thing was going to be completely remade with DS3 assets and coded with Christ's DNA. Now everyone's either underwhelmed or "fine with it" at best.

Ha, this made me smile

Top Bottom