• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

BY2K

Membero Americo
01mainbannercopyfixed31u1y.png

02releasedatebannercoonxnu.png

03lorecopynwui1.png

generalinfoq8d3t.png

- Bigger. Better. Faster. Stronger.

- You play as Death, the leader and most feared of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

- The main gameplay is still mix of combat, traversal and puzzles.

- The game takes place during War's 100 Years imprisonment by The Council.

- 25+ Hours of Gameplay on main campaign path. Almost doubled if you go for 100% completion.

- 4 main areas, each as big as the whole of Darksiders 1.

- The first area alone has as many dungeons as the first Darksiders.

- New and familiar faces will appear.

- The game takes place in locations other than Earth to give more creative liberty to the designers.

- Because of the size and the scope of the game, Vigil Games focused only on Singleplayer. There is NO Multiplayer or Coop.

- 90% more colorful than most AAA titles on the market!

- Includes voice talents of film actors Michael Wincott (Death) and James Cosmo (Master Elder Eidard).

featuresqoczp.png

- Loot. Defeat enemies and open treasure chest to find loot of all sorts.

- Customization. Use the loot you find to upgrade and customize YOUR Death like YOU want.

- Skill Trees. Darksiders II gives you 2 Skill Trees, the Harbinger (melee focused) and Necromancer (magic focused.) You can re-spec at any time.

- Possessed Weapons. Very rare weapons that users can level up by feeding it other weapons you don't want. Stat increases depends on the weapons used to level up. You can name them too!

- Kinetic gameplay. Both Combat and Traversal now feel more streamlined and faster.

- Fast Travel. Go to your map and instantly teleport to any previously visited locations.

- Easier Exploration. You gain access to your trusted horse from the opening moment of the game.

- Nightmare Mode. Akin to Diablo 3's Hardcore Mode, one combat related death is permanent and you lose all your progress.

- New Game+. You keep your loot, enemies are stronger and you have better chances of finding better equipment. Most powerful gear is NG+ exclusive.

- Online Trading. The "Tomes". You can trade and share gear with your friends and also store up to 200 items.

- Arena combat mode. The Crucible is unlocked later in the game and lets Death battle waves and waves of enemies. Each 5 waves, Death can collect a reward and quit, or continue and gain even greater rewards. Each reward is generated randomly based on how far you get. You will fight enemies, mini-bosses and even bosses. Some items can only be found in The Crucible. You do not gain EXP when fighting in the arena. IF YOU DIE IN THE CRUCIBLE IN NIGHTMARE MODE, YOU LOSE YOUR PROGRESS COMPLETELY!

combatoverveiw2pbjfb.png

Darksiders II combat engine was created under the watch of Lead Combat Designer Ben Cureton, who is known in the competitive fighting game community under his nickname “Tragic”. Under his lead, original Darksiders combat was greatly upgraded into a state that enables not only easy and viable use of many of its basic features by total novices, but also rewards more talented players who can use advanced techniques, complex tactics, and features that are often found only in top-tier competitive combat games.

The most important aspect of Darksiders II combat is ability to move fast across battlefield, chain almost every move into new free-flowing combos, and control enemies with crowd controlling abilities. Here are some (not all!) features of the Darksiders II combat:

There is no Block - You must move, dash, evade, cancel enemy attacks, or otherwise find a way to stay alive. Because of this, Death showcases many traits of fast assassin-like characters: always on the move, always finding a way to evade enemies.

Main Attack - Scythe works similar as War’s sword in the first game, but it is enhanced like all other aspects of the combat engine. You can spam primary attack to for example create basic 4 button press combo (8 in-game attacks) that will end in the knockback effect (great for novices), buy and unlock many new combos, and even preform specific delayed attacks that build new and powerful combos. Delayed attacks will leave you open for enemy retaliation - but the longer the delay, the more damage will weapon deal (this is true for every other aspect of the combat).

Secondary Attacks – In addition to his Scythe, Death can wield two types of secondary weapons, Heavy and Melee. Heavy Weapons (spears, axes, hammers) have really slow attacks, but they are very powerful and can have great area effects. One of their most effective damage dealing abilities is "Just Frame" attacks, which enable you to enhance their damage, and change the flow of your combos. Melee Weapons on the other hand, are designed to be extremely fast damage dealers, but for maximum effect you need to be really close to the enemies.

Crossovers Attacks – Primary and secondary weapons can be combined into crossover combos, which can be very powerful and effective. In mid-combo situations, you can switch between your primary and secondary weapon, not only one time, but however times you want. The most important thing is that final move of Crossover combos will always be “basic finishing combo move” of that weapon.

Abbility/Magic Attacks – As in the first game, Death will on his journey collect many secondary abilities/gadgets and magic spells. Almost every of them can in some way be included into your standard weapon combos, creating very exciting tactics and ways to fight.

Evading, Canceling your Attacks, Launching Enemies and Movement – Majority of attack moves you make (or hostile attack that are approaching) can in some way become interrupted or evaded, and morphed into new combo flow. With simple button press you can dash away from the enemies, with jump button you can launch both yourself end enemy into air, charge enemies into canceling their combos, grab and pull distant enemies (activation time of this ability is really short, enabling you to continue fighting while enemies are flying towards you), pull yourself toward larger enemies and much more.

It’s important to note that dash can be chained three times before you receive small movement cooldown (dash does not break your combo count). However, after second dash you can chain in some other fast moving abilities (Charge Attack, or Teleport Slash) to continue your combo, after which you can again continue using chained dash.

This is only the tip of the iceberg. Many players will soon realize the full capabilities of Darksiders II combat engine, and showcase to the world their talent and abilities. The most important thing is that novice players will not suffer because of these rich combat options. Just to see how flexible it is, we will end this Combat Overview with the quote from Lead Combat Designer Ben Cureton himself:
3 Hit Basic Scythe Combo, cancel to Crossover Heavy (Cyclone), Crossover Heavy Special (Hilt Strike), back to Scythe Ender, cancel the ender in the middle with a Flip Kick, Air Dash to the ground (Meteor Strike), Dash Scythe (Harvester Revenge), cancel into Crossover Heavy again, cancel that into Charge Hammer Strike, after Charge Strike hits, backdash, Deathgrip the enemy towards you, juggle with basic Scythe 1-hit, Flip Kick, Aerial 2 Hit Scythe Combo followed by Air Delay Chain (Hellraiser - Reaper appears and lifts opponent into the air even more!), follow-up with 3-hit Air Scythe Combo ending in slamdown, cancel into Flip Saw, land, Teleport Slash through the enemy, Deathgrip again, jump Air Scythe 1-hit, chain to Air Hammer Fall (big slam that brings both you and enemy to ground), upon landing, Just-Frame button press to perform the Widowmaker (mega spinning Heavy Strike), canceled into another Just-Frame button press to perform the Rift Breaker follow up.

Oh... and you'll be doing all that on the first day! Just remember that you don't have to do ANY of that to be able to play and enjoy the combat. But the cool part is... YOU CAN!

03charactersshowcasecybi3p.png

preorderk0f8i.png

- If you have a Darksiders 1 save file on either PS3, 360 or PC, you will unlock:
  • War Themed Level 5 Legendary Armor Piece (Achievement based unlock.)
  • War Themed Level 1 Legendary scythe Chaos Fang. (Any Achievement related to finishing the game unlocked.)

- FREE DLC SEASON PASS from THQ.store
- ARGUL'S TOMB QUEST PACK for Limited Edition (every pre-order gets the Limited Edition at no additional charge.)
- DEATH RIDES PACK (Side-quests) from GameStop.
- ANGEL OF DEATH ARMOR AND WEAPON SET (and purple colored visual trail for Dust) from Best Buy.
- DEADLY DESPAIR PACK (Speed boost for Death's horse Despair) from Amazon.com.
- DARK TALONS WEAPON for Pre-Order of Darksiders II for PC
- SKELETAL AXE OF RENDING for Pre-Order of Darksiders II for PC
- COLLECTOR'S EDITION (SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE)
  • Limited Edition copy of Darksiders II
  • Replica Life-sized Death Mask
  • Unique in game Armor set & Weapon
  • Darksiders II Digital Soundtrack
  • Hardcover Art Book
  • Shadow of Death DLC Pack
Partner Offers:

- FLECTHER'S CROW HAMMER from Prima Guide Pre-Order.
- MORTIS BUCKLER from Darksiders: The Abomination Vault Book Pre-Order (US only offer) (Offer expired)

Not Pre-order Dependant Items:

- HAMMER #2 (Name to be revealed) from Soul Harvest iOS App Unlock (US and Canada Only)
- HAMMER #2 (Name to be revealed) Secondary Offer
- AXE #1 (Name to be revealed) How to acquire to be revealed
- MACE #1 (Name to be revealed) How to acquire to be revealed

sysreq6raj7.png

Min Specs:
• OS – Windows XP, Windows Vista SP1 or Windows 7
• Processor – 2.0Ghz Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor or AMD equivalent
• RAM –2GB
• Hard Drive – 20 GB space free (10 GB free after install)
• Video Card – NVIDIA 9800 GT 512 MB Video Card or AMD equivalent
• Online Steam account

Recommended Specs:
• OS – Windows 7
• Processor – Any Quad-core AMD or Intel Processor
• RAM –2GB
• Hard Drive – 20 GB space free (10 GB free after install)
• Video Card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 512MB Video Card or AMD equivalent
• Online Steam account

previewsq3jco.png

- Icrontic Preview
- VG247 Preview
- Giant Bomb Quick Look EX
- CVG Preview
- Video Game Writers Preview (Podcast)
- Chet Roivas Preview
- Forbes

reviewsnnchs.png

Play Magazine UK - 86%
Consol Plus - 93%
GamePro - 93%
X360 Magazine UK - 9/10

a1copy80utr.png

b1-copy45uo6.gif
b2copy1punf.png
b3-copyhiuse.gif

c1-copykpu6l.gif
c2copybluyx.png
c3-copygmufc.gif

a1vbi0j.png

b2kic4w.png

c21gi2l.png

d2orekz.png

f1j6d7d.png

a1copyb8zw1.png

b2swordfinalqxa2s.png

d2swordfinalnyat4.png

e1copy4bfjx.png

a1copy55ki1.png

b1copy6jky9.png
borderxzkaw.png

c1copyo8k67.png
borderxzkaw.png

d1copyhek4t.png

07endpiccopyuqe29.png

DieH@rd

Banned
Hell yeah, Darksiders II OP is finally up!

Me and BY2K worked hard on it over the last few weeks. There were a lot of graphical elements for me to create, but incredible art of JoeMad and his team at Vigil made the work a lot easier. Some sections are pieced together from as much as 11 individual pieces, few of them are GIF’s, several pieces have tons of layered art, and more. But the most important thing is that I enjoyed creating it. Hopefully GAF will like it.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank our resident Vigil Games GAF members hdn [Hayden Dalton, Creative Director of Darksiders II) and tragic (Ben Cureton, Lead Combat Designer) for their incredible interactions with the fans. With their constant presence and answers to our never-ending questions, they made Darksiders II much more popular and “visible” game on GAF. Tons of Horseman-GAFfers are eagerly waiting to get their hands on the game over the next 3 weeks, and in the next few days reviews will start hitting the web. We all hope that reviewers will review this game fairly.

/Soon I will add to this post official NEWS section.

//ALSO, MEGA INPORTANT! NO FUCKING STORY/GAMEPLAY SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD! We will create dedicated spoiler thread soon, and spoiler discussion will be allowed here only 1 week after European launch [3 weeks from now!]. Pls don’t spoil the game openly for us sad and lonely Europeans. T_T

EDIT - Spoiler thread is up!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=40866830

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh fuck, Jesper Kyd did the music for this, i was wondering where the hell he went since he isnt doing AC 3 or Hitman.

burgerdog

Got the game pre-ordered off GMG, Tuesday can't come soon enough. I've tried to watch not too many videos so most of the game should be a surprise. The five minutes that I watched from the GB quick look was enough for me, combat is going to be amazing.

gdt

CAN'T WAIT.

A) I hope this is a better PC version than Darksiders 1, had to drop that recently because it ran so shit for me (but I can max Space Marine @ 60 fps, so hopefully this goes good too)

B) I didn't know that Death is the "leader" of the 4 horsemen.

ZiZ

probably my favorite new IP this gen.

I'm reading "The Abomination Vault" in preparation. this game cannot come soon enough!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
War Themed Level 5 Legendary Armor Piece (Save File)
War Themed Level 1 Legendary scythe Chaos Fang. (Any Achievement related to finishing the game unlocked.)

Oh cool so I won't bother getting as many achievements as possible. I'll just clear

More excited to play 2 than 1. Enjoying it more than I thought I would though.

DieH@rd

Banned
Excellent OT, still can't believe there so much dlc for this game :/ I guess since theres going to be loot in DS2 it doesn't make too much of a difference...

dmr87

Godlike OT, PC-version pre-ordered and standing by. Get on the hype train fast, we're about to max out!

Ridli

Aww yea.. Getting pretty excited about going back to Darksiders, especially hoping for a lot more Samael. Even puttin the backlog on hold for this.

DieH@rd

Banned
Some of the reviews for the original game:
Multiplayer.it - 92
IGN UK - 89
Game Informer - 85
Giant Bomb - 80
Eurogamer - 80
GameSpot - 80
GameSpy - 80
Playstation: The Official Magazine - 80
IGN - 78
1UP - 75
Playstation Official Magazine UK - 70
Edge Magazine - 60

Metacritic score:
PS3 - 82
Xbox 360 - 83
PC - 83

Akkad

Banned
Does the PC version at Best Buy get the special packaging with the comic, or only the console versions?

Top Bottom