• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dating Age |OT7| Tough Love

Solo

You can just lie online. Unless you're trying to lie being 5 feet into being 6 feet, the girl isn't going to know or notice if you're a little shorter. I'm 5'10" and back in my Tinder days if a girl asked if I was 6 feet I'd just say yes. It would never be an issue when we met up.

Hrothgar

On that note, are there guys who only date small/short women?

Recently that seems to be the case haha, the last girl I was dating didn't reach above my shoulders. I guess she was around 5'2", while I'm a bit over 6'. The feeling of being able to keep her entirely in my arms was nice though.

It's not really something I select for, although I don't think I've ever been attracted to a girl that was more than 1 inch taller than me.

She was transitioning

MaureenCat.gif

Can confirm, I sometimes have hair growing from cheeks

On the height thing, I'm a 5'10" woman and my girlfriend is 6'3"ish. I didn't ask or know height when talking to her. Normally, I've only dated people shorter than me simply because of numbers, but being able to date someone taller has been really enjoyable. I love snuggling up next to her and feeling small and fragile.

SpecX

I'm new to the dating scene again after 10 years. I need BIG help. I've setup a few profiles, but not really liking the apps, I still prefer getting out there and fishing myself.

So far I've had the occasional tipsy girl at the bar pull me over or want to chat, but I don't know if I want just sex or some kind of bond/connection. Getting out of a long term relationship has me kind of confused on what it is I want.

I met this one girl at a bar last week, she put her number in my phone and she's been texting me to go to a club with her, but we really haven't talked or got to know one another. This was all from buying her a drink.

There's another girl that's a little bit older than me that my friend's sister was trying to set him up with. He didn't like her, so I got her number and have exchanged texts over the weekend. We met in person a few weeks ago at a football game and we talked a little, but now I want to see where to take this.

How do you singles do this? What do I need to start doing to get myself prepared to get back out in the field?

What do you guys think about identifying as Feminist on your profile.

It goes both ways. Some people think its weird and some people love it.

I don't feel the need to identify as a feminist, so I don't really.

But in concept, yeah I'm down with feminism. Toxic masculinity and lots of patriarchal stuff can take a hike.

Now if someone passes up your profile as a result of it not being on there instead of waiting to meet you first, then eh. If that's all someone wants from a first impression then that's a pretty low bar.

There are plenty of asshole self proclaimed feminists.

I'm down for feminism but calling myself one feels fake. Not sure why that is 🤔

If I was a woman I would side-eye a dude that said that on his profile.

Raptomex

Do men do this? Make it a point to mention it? I'm cool with feminism. I don't know if I would announce it randomly, though. But I'd be fine telling someone if they asked or if it came up in a conversation.

How do you singles do this? What do I need to start doing to get myself prepared to get back out in the field?

You didn't say you how long since you got out of your 10 year relationship. I'd recommend taking a long, honest look at why the relationship failed to self examine yourself. Take time for yourself if you haven't yet.

I'm sure others will have longer posts with better advice, but that is my two cents.

I don't like people who tell other people they're a feminist unprovoked because it's usually a warning sign that they're obnoxiously vocal about those kinds of things and lack in other interests. I expect equal treatment of genders to be a baseline social behavior, and that'll be obvious during a few interactions anyway, so declaring it veers into excessive.

Salamando

I don't mention it - I try to keep profile clean and brief. I will mention that I'm pro strong woman and equal pay and getting women into STEM and men into Nursing when asked.
I'm new to the dating scene again after 10 years. I need BIG help. I've setup a few profiles, but not really liking the apps, I still prefer getting out there and fishing myself.

So far I've had the occasional tipsy girl at the bar pull me over or want to chat, but I don't know if I want just sex or some kind of bond/connection. Getting out of a long term relationship has me kind of confused on what it is I want.

I met this one girl at a bar last week, she put her number in my phone and she's been texting me to go to a club with her, but we really haven't talked or got to know one another. This was all from buying her a drink.

There's another girl that's a little bit older than me that my friend's sister was trying to set him up with. He didn't like her, so I got her number and have exchanged texts over the weekend. We met in person a few weeks ago at a football game and we talked a little, but now I want to see where to take this.

How far removed are you from the 10-year relationship?

Don't worry about the long term right now - focus on meeting people and having fun. If you're still having fun after a month of being together, then you can consider your long-term potential with them. Obviously if there's huge red flags out of the gate, you should bail.

Ernest

Banned
I'm 5'11" but tend to prefer women who are under 5'7". Something about being able to easily pick them up and carry them turns me on. It's purely sexual.

5'4"-ish is like ideal. But I wouldn't disqualify anyone taller than my preferred "range". Nor would I make a habit of asking about height. Again, the height thing is purely a sexual one, and not the most important thing when considering who to date.
At 5'10", I can do that pretty easily to women who are also around my height, they don't have to be much shorter.
Ideally, I prefer a woman right around my height, but unfortunately, most women around 5'10", prefer a dude much taller.

On that note, are there guys who only date small/short women?
I've mostly gone out with women who's height range from 5' to 5' 5" or something like that. I'm not that tall (5' 11") but I do prefer being with shorter girls cause it's easier for me to tease them or carry them which they seem to enjoy. Plus I'm a real heavy guy (trying to lose weight as alway 😞) so they get into the habit of calling me their bear which is cool I guess 😃.

SpecX

You didn't say you how long since you got out of your 10 year relationship. I'd recommend taking a long, honest look at why the relationship failed to self examine yourself. Take time for yourself if you haven't yet.

I'm sure others will have longer posts with better advice, but that is my two cents.

I don't mention it - I try to keep profile clean and brief. I will mention that I'm pro strong woman and equal pay and getting women into STEM and men into Nursing when asked.

How far removed are you from the 10-year relationship?

Don't worry about the long term right now - focus on meeting people and having fun. If you're still having fun after a month of being together, then you can consider your long-term potential with them. Obviously if there's huge red flags out of the gate, you should bail.

My relationship has been dead for 3 months now and we're still waiting on the divorce to be finalized with the courts. I honestly know what I did wrong, I've self reflected on my problems for over a year now. I guess I'm worried about being single for too long since I've been in a relationship/bond for so many years.

But now I'm wondering. Are any of you guys intimidated by taller women? Have any of ya gone out with taller women? How was that like?

A girl I was seeing earlier this year may have been an inch or two taller than me and it didnt bother me at all. I thought I was gonna be super put off by it but It was good vibes all around.

My relationship has been dead for 3 months now and we're still waiting on the divorce to be finalized with the courts. I honestly know what I did wrong, I've self reflected on my problems for over a year now. I guess I'm worried about being single for too long since I've been in a relationship/bond for so many years.

You should take some serious time off from dating. I mean like a year off. You've been codepedent and place your value on having a partner. Take time off and learn to love yourself again.

But now I'm wondering. Are any of you guys intimidated by taller women? Have any of ya gone out with taller women? How was that like?

A girl I was seeing earlier this year may have been an inch or two taller than me and it didnt bother me at all. I thought I was gonna be super put off by it but It was good vibes all around.

I have dated and had great times with taller women. No problems with it.

I am a fit guy at 5'8" and most taller women who go for me are on the thinner side.
Most people end up being shorter.

Some positions are harder but being a little spoon is nice.

Salamando

Scratch the above advice - focus on being by yourself for a bit. Regain your sense of identity as a person, instead of as part of a couple. Go on a few adventures, meet some new people, try to make some new stories that don't involve the ex. How many of those do you have right now?

Blam

Honestly I've thought about this and I'd be fine with it.

Get a lawyer for your divorce before even THINKING about this.

Also, you've already moved on? Really?

You aren't single. You aren't ready to date. You're just expanding your eventual legal liability at this point.

TheBear

Can someone explain Happn to me?
I've crossed paths with a bunch of girls but I don't understand the difference between a 'heart' and a 'hi!'

Jzero

I just try to avoid women who put up ultimatums like this, they usually get offended easily. I don't have to advertise that i'm for women's rights.

But now I'm wondering. Are any of you guys intimidated by taller women?
I thought I loved short women until I went out with someone closer to my height. Short people are so hard to dance with. Tall women get a thumbs up from me.

Can someone explain Happn to me?
I've crossed paths with a bunch of girls but I don't understand the difference between a 'heart' and a 'hi!'

wat

I haven't met any so far, but I'd imagine if I met someone taller than me (6 feet 3 ->) I would be lol.
Please don't throw how tall you are at my face bro. Check your privilege.
im just playing but working in retail at a busy spot I've seen so many tall women. There was this one woman taller than my friend who's like 6ft 2 and she seemed so cool but now I'm not sure what this has to do with anything now...
Honestly I've thought about this and I'd be fine with it.
Yeah but I think it would hurt my ego/confidence is she made a joke at my expense 😅
I thought I loved short women until I went out with someone closer to my height. Short people are so hard to dance with. Tall women get a thumbs up from me.
Yoooo. I need to learn how to dance again. Always danced at the spanish parties growing up but I just stopped one day and never picked it back up. Need to learn how to surprise people by busting out the moves again. Mans can't even milly rock without feeling weird as shit.

Still waiting for the divorce to be finalized? My advice would be to make sure you're in a good place in your head, work on being a better you, whether it's fitness or putting time into a hobby. I think it's best to take things slow and don't expect anything to pop up so quickly especially after being in a relationship for so long. Just take the time to get back into the rhythm of going out and meeting people. It'll come to you.

Okay, this maybe changes things.

However, I'm going to say this anyway: GET A FUCKING LAYWER (who can draft you a proper separation agreement that'll be incorporated into the divorce decree and/or safeguard your interests when your property's divided, let alone the kids at issue).

Your self-described actions in the other thread are self-defeating and, quite frankly, stupid. You are not planning for the future. You are possibly inadvertently sabotaging any possible relationship going forward. You are giddy over the fact that you've finally escaped some entanglements when, quite honestly -- from a logistical and legal standpoint -- you haven't.

Bacon talked about the emotions of the situation, and I don't disagree with him; however, just yesterday you were talking about her maxing out new credit cards that could maybe count as marital property.

Please. Do not date until someone reviews your situation and gives you the go-ahead. Please. If you've got that? Take it casual for a while. If you don't -- see my entire post here.

Leeness

Couple choice quotes I've had with "feminism" in my interests...

"You ruined yourself with the feminism thing."

"I'm not into feminism but chocolate, I can handle."

AdanVC

Girlfriend has been extremely busy with work and school to the point her health has started to suffer due to the highs amounts of stress and I'm worried. We have barely talked over the last month for that reason. We were supposed to go on a date two saturdays ago but she cancelled on the last minute through a sms message. I understood and I just told her to rest and relax that weekend. She didn't messaged me a single word the whole week except on friday but only for 5 minutes until she abruptly went offline again since she still had homework to do. She said that her new work and school schedules are absolute hell, she literally doesn't know how is she gonna make it till the end of the year with that schedule. Practically has zero time off now and of course... that means she now has zero time to talk or go out with me... I love her and I feel worried knowing she's very stressed but I also don't want to bother her with tons of messages everyday just so she ignores me due to how tired/busy she is. I don't mind if she doesn't reply to my messages or we stay days without talking since both have lot's of stuff to do, especially her. The thing that worries me is that she hasn't feeling well physically and probably mentally and I want to help her, but how since she's online for literally 3 minutes until goes offline. Maybe I should give her some space and just wait till she feels like talking to me again ?? I feel useless..

Ernest

Banned
I can't think of any school/work that would keep someone THAT busy. Like, if she has time to take a shit, she should have time to text back or talk for a bit. Something else is going on...

Peltz

It's one of those double standards, imagine if men had in their profile that a woman must have a minimum cup size. If women want to limit their dating pool by an arbitrary number that's their loss. Just leave height out of your profile.

I mean... I have arbitrary physical standards when it comes to women. I just don't talk about them nor would I put them in my profile.

Girlfriend has been extremely busy with work and school to the point her health has started to suffer due to the highs amounts of stress and I'm worried. We have barely talked over the last month for that reason. We were supposed to go on a date two saturdays ago but she cancelled on the last minute through a sms message. I understood and I just told her to rest and relax that weekend. She didn't messaged me a single word the whole week except on friday but only for 5 minutes until she abruptly went offline again since she still had homework to do. She said that her new work and school schedules are absolute hell, she literally doesn't know how is she gonna make it till the end of the year with that schedule. Practically has zero time off now and of course... that means she now has zero time to talk or go out with me... I love her and I feel worried knowing she's very stressed but I also don't want to bother her with tons of messages everyday just so she ignores me due to how tired/busy she is. I don't mind if she doesn't reply to my messages or we stay days without talking since both have lot's of stuff to do, especially her. The thing that worries me is that she hasn't feeling well physically and probably mentally and I want to help her, but how since she's online for literally 3 minutes until goes offline. Maybe I should give her some space and just wait till she feels like talking to me again ?? I feel useless..

Sorry to tell you this bro... but she's probably going to break up with you. If she's "too busy" to simply communicate with you, then she doesn't see a future with you.

If I were you, I'd end it with her. It doesn't matter how busy your gf is, not communicating is grounds for moving on. You deserve better. It doesn't matter how busy a girl is, if she wants you in her life she will make it clear.

I can't think of any school/work that would keep someone THAT busy. Like, if she has time to take a shit, she should have time to text back or talk for a bit. Something else is going on...

Very true. No one is so busy that they cannot take a moment (literally 1 minute) to talk to their significant other on a more regular basis than what you're experiencing.

As somebody who went through medical school, excuses like this are sometimes laughable. It's not a difficult schedule, it's poor time management on her part. That said, there's no way she doesn't have time to text you back and message you. Almost 100% there's something else going on - probably "studying with a new (guy) classmate" or something else if you were to push her for an answer.

Either way Let her know gently that she can't put your life on hold for her work, and if she doesn't want to change anything, then move on. Being dragged along like this is no way to have any relationship.

Scotch

Yeah, if she isn't sleeping with someone else already, she will soon. No one is that busy.

The way you're writing about this situation raises a bunch of red flags too. C'mon man, you haven't seen her in weeks, she cancels a date via text, she messaged you for five minutes a week... and you're wondering if you should give her some space? How can you still call this a relationship? How long has this been going on for?

You should stop worrying about her and start worrying about yourself and your relationship. Or better yet, just break up with her, because she clearly doesn't value you or your time.

Peltz

As somebody who went through medical school, excuses like this are sometimes laughable. It's not a difficult schedule, it's poor time management on her part. That said, there's no way she doesn't have time to text you back and message you. Almost 100% there's something else going on - probably "studying with a new (guy) classmate" or something else if you were to push her for an answer.

Either way Let her know gently that she can't put your life on hold for her work, and if she doesn't want to change anything, then move on. Being dragged along like this is no way to have any relationship.

Co-signing this as someone who went through law school while working a very demanding job.

Xun

Another date planned for this week, this time on Thursday with a Dutch girl.

In some ways I regret saying Thursday instead of next week (since I have a date on Friday), but it should be good.

Slowly getting back into it...

Definitely break it off as others have said.

Fuck that.

Leeness

I don't get this one, what does it mean?

He was listing a couple of shared interests we had, and had to throw in that he didn't like feminism, but I guess tried to offset that with "but I'll give you chocolate".

Which to me, just says "I don't believe in your equal rights, BUT HAVE SOME SWEETS~"

Lol.

I went on a date yesterday and i barely coughed like i had been earlier in the day.

She gave me fuck me eyes at the end but i only went in for a hug because i didnt want to accidentally get her sick.

Thankfully i just heard its not strep but im trying to think of a way to say im into this but i didnt want to get you sick.

A guy explicitly saying he's a feminist, IMO, is one of the biggest red flags a profile can have. I lost count of how many stories I heard from girls of guys that were huge "feminists", that took every opportunity to label themselves as such, which ended up being sexist assholes. To the point that girls in my country even came up with a word to refer to those kinds of guys lol.

Of course, if a guy label itself as an anti-feminist or something like that, it is a huge red flag as well. But feminism is something that is judged by actions, rather than the label.

A guy explicitly saying he's a feminist, IMO, is one of the biggest red flags a profile can have. I lost count of how many stories I heard from girls of guys that were huge "feminists", that took every opportunity to label themselves as such, which ended up being sexist assholes. To the point that girls in my country even came up with a word to refer to those kinds of guys lol.

Of course, if a guy label itself as an anti-feminist or something like that, it is a huge red flag as well. But feminism is something that is judged by actions, rather than the label.

Oof, fucking shits ruining it for good people. I guess ill keep it off my profile when they go back up. I always thought more men identifying and actually being feminist is good for movement but they need receipts.

Top Bottom