• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: Twisted Metal coming 2011, release date announcement soon

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
davidjaffe said:
Which version of Roadkill? We have a car named Roadkill for sure and he's a scrappy fighter like in the past but we don't have the boomerang special and we've taken his special from Black and turned it into our Swarmer pick up. So he's there in spirit and in name and in mechanics but like with every TM, we swap shit around to make it make sense for the curent title.

Bring in Black Betty... but the Spiderbait cover version. :)

(And at least one Rammstein track, too. Aaaand... "Jesus Built My Hot Rod")

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
brandonh83 said:
This is one of those series that I always liked, but never really became the biggest fan of. That being said, really can't wait for this. PS3 is fucking killing it in 2011, I just hope none of these awesome looking games end up under-delivering (it's possible-- look at the Resistance 2 backlash).

In Jaffe I Trust

If you are expecting amazing multiplayer and fast and furious TM style action (with deeper modes and mechanics than ever before), plus very cool stories, crazy cool/fun bosses, a better campaign than we've ever done and lots of brand new TM style stuff (that we can not talk about yet) then I do not think we will under-deliver. Not even close.

My fear is that players who are not familiar with TM come to the table expecting a different sort of game and walk away disappointed. Clearly this is a marketing and PR issue more than anything else but if I can do my part to educate people that TM is a fast, frantic, deep, tactical action game with a mega emphasis on MP (both local and split) and it is NOT a big epic story based experience game (which is what 99% of big, 1st party games are these days, no matter the platform), then I will feel good. Because then people can judge the game for what it's meant to be, not something else they thought it was. I feel with BLACK we had this problem a bit, where so much emphasis was put on the story and mood and characters (proud of those aspects as we all were) that a % of people thought they were getting a Silent Hill style game and ended up being bummed.

David

David

davidjaffe said:
Which version of Roadkill? We have a car named Roadkill for sure and he's a scrappy fighter like in the past but we don't have the boomerang special and we've taken his special from Black and turned it into our Swarmer pick up. So he's there in spirit and in name and in mechanics but like with every TM, we swap shit around to make it make sense for the curent title.

David
Well, in terms of gameplay I guess I was asking for the Black Roadkill, because his special was brutally effective in the right hands and overall a well balanced car. You've answered that part (and thank you for answering)..
In terms of story though, I kind of wanted TM2 Roadkill, aka Marcus Kane (who was apparently Minion in Black). I guess I should have asked, "Is Marcus Kane in the game?"
I know that question is probably treading dangerous ground, though. :D

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
davidjaffe said:
Of course you are only kinda joking. Ke$ha is not traditionally beautiful and- to be fair- not even that cute. But there is something kind of sexy about her.

And yes, I am fully aware that at 39, me talking that way about Ke$ha- who is ,what, 22?- is a bit/lot on the creepy side but fuck it: I embrace what I am :).

But at this very moment- as I make edit notes to the Mr. Grimm end movie #2 and #3- I got Bing Crosby Xmas music on heavy itunes rotation so I can balance out some of the 'dirty middle aged man' thing with some good old fashioned 'dude you are way too fucking young to be into Bing Crosby' thing.

David

Actually, I agree that she's got a trashy/sexy thing going on. I wasn't talking about her appearance, but the persona she projects. She portrays herself as an awful, irresponsible, selfish, snotty human being. I don't know what age your kids are, and they probably aren't really processing the deeper meaning of her music and just enjoying the fun aspects (which I cannot deny exist).

I'm definitely not seriously telling you how to raise your kids, I'm more curious what you think about "bad influence." If I had a daughter and she wanted to emulate Kesha in any way, I'd be displeased, to put it mildly. Your opinion on this is interesting to me, because you are clearly a guy who likes the violence in the video games (and I do too), and I'm just curious what your approach to child-rearing is with regard to "mature" content.

Sorry for the derail. I think it's really cool that you talk to us, and I am a huge God of War fan.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Revolutionary said:
I guess I should have asked, "Is Marcus Kane in the game?"
I know that question is probably treading dangerous ground, though. :D
As far as I know the emphasis is (and pretty much always has been) on the cars. They only put in a handful of human characters in the games (Doll face, Sweet Tooth, Grimm, Preacher ect,) but there will be a lot of unique cars to choose from with unique specials/alt specials.

davidjaffe said:
If you are expecting amazing multiplayer and fast and furious TM style action (with deeper modes and mechanics than ever before), plus very cool stories, crazy cool/fun bosses, a better campaign than we've ever done and lots of brand new TM style stuff (that we can not talk about yet) then I do not think we will under-deliver. Not even close.

Oh I'm not really worried about Twisted Metal whatsoever. I really liked the other games. It was just a thought, there are so many awesome looking PS3 exclusives next year and it would be a nice thing if all of them rise to their potential.

I was mainly talking about Resistance 3 ;)

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Actually, I agree that she's got a trashy/sexy thing going on. I wasn't talking about her appearance, but the persona she projects. She portrays herself as an awful, irresponsible, selfish, snotty human being. I don't know what age your kids are, and they probably aren't really processing the deeper meaning of her music and just enjoying the fun aspects (which I cannot deny exist).

I'm definitely not seriously telling you how to raise your kids, I'm more curious what you think about "bad influence." If I had a daughter and she wanted to emulate Kesha in any way, I'd be displeased, to put it mildly. Your opinion on this is interesting to me, because you are clearly a guy who likes the violence in the video games (and I do too), and I'm just curious what your approach to child-rearing is with regard to "mature" content.

Sorry for the derail. I think it's really cool that you talk to us, and I am a huge God of War fan.

Ah, I see.

Well I'll tell you what I tell my kids and what I do with my kids about those sorts of things and you can judge for yourself how I raise them. Now really sure if I can boil it down to a 1 line golden rule. Here's my thing:

1- I cuss around them sometimes and every now and then I let them cuss just for the fun of it and to see what it's all about. However I tell them they can not cuss in public until they are 18. They ask why and I tell them that I think it is ludicrous that we live in a world where words (with the exception of hate bashing style words) offend people. I tell them that people who get panties in a bunch over the word fuck and shit and such are too tightly wound. But I tell them that that is the world in which we live and there ARE people who will judge you- for better or for worse- if you cuss in public. So when they are 18 they can make the adult decision of if they choose to cuss and they can live with the consequences of that decision. But while they are kids, I will make the decision for them. So 99% of the time they can not cuss.

2- I do not show them violent stuff at all but from time to time they do see it on accident and I always go out of my way to explain it is fake. They roll their eyes and say 'dad, we KNOW!'...and I know they do given that I take them to places like the Twisted Metal live action shoot set (with Tooth and his giant machete walking around and such) and they see the pedestrians in the new TM getting hit all the time in buggy states so they realize that it's all stuff people like dad and the people he works with just make up and that violence in real life is only acceptable if someone attacks you first. I tell them never to hit anyone else unprovoked but if someone hits them, I tell them it's ok to beat the fuck out of the one who started it.

3- They are 5 and 7. So sex talk has no come up. But they are aware of sexuality from music videos and stuff (they love Katy Perry and Ke$ha and Beyonce and Gaga and such) and when we tell them about how BS the media is for making people look in videos and magazines the way they don't in real life, they say 'we know!' because we've shown them all the touch up videos on youtube of how fake it all is.

So they know the media is full of shit but they also know media is a blast and they have fun with it.

Does any of that make sense?

Ok- back to work!

Later!

David

3-

this has turned into a "Get to know Jaffe" -thread ;D

But it's all good! While you are at it, can you confirm James Purefoy as Kratos in the upcoming film? ;)

Ploid 3.0

Revolutionary said:
If that music channel idea goes through, would you please consider putting in some classic TM tracks a la http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLFok2t605k in one of them? :D

Oh, and Roadkill is a no-show in this one, right? :(

Holy crap this brings back so many memories. I didn't expect that when I started the song. Such a big smile on my face now. I grew up on NES/SNES but I partied on ps1. The era I took console games to school to sneak in games during break, and when we had fun days. Got in trouble once with a coach, threatened to break one of my games into "50 million pieces!" TM2 was a hit in my homeroom btw, that and Xmen VS Street Fighter.

Man (Big grin)

Mikey Jr.

I think maybe Jaffe might be going the wrong way in terms of health/damage in Twisted Metal. I remember him saying that games now a days lost the chase, where a battle between 2 people could take minutes to resolve instead of respawning, and dieing a few seconds later like other games. (not exact quote, but what I got from him)

I think that the gaming audience has changed though. They want twitch, respawn instantly, and kill dudes in a few hits. Halo still goes by the old way to a degree, and Halo Reach sold a lot, but Call of Duty has become much more popular because of the quickness of battle.

Take me for example. I DESPISED Halo online because of the fact that it took way too many bullets to take someone down. I would be shooting and shooting and the guy would run away and regen, or someone would come along and take the kill away from me. It pissed me off so much, that I completely ignored Halo 3, Odst, and a good portion of Reach. I went into the COD franchise, and I loved it because I could take down a guy with just a few bullets.

Another example is Uncharted 2 online. Same thing happened. A lot of players are bullet sponges, and I would get annoyed that some guy I was pounding bullets into was not going down. I think Naughty Dog had a little test and lowered health didn't they?

Anyways, my point is that I'm not sure I agree with Jaffe about having long battles between 2 players. There is a community that prefers the old style, for sure. But I think the new generation prefers quick, fast battles, and for them, it's going to be hard to latch onto Twisted Metal and it's these people that are going to buy the games.

That being said, I haven't played the game at all, and don't have much exposure to it besides some videos here and there, so I can't really say with certainty about the health and damage ratio.However, I hope Jaffe has great success with the game. He's making the game he wants which is great, I'm just giving my 2 cents.

Ploid 3.0

Mikey Jr. said:
I think maybe Jaffe might be going the wrong way in terms of health/damage in Twisted Metal. I remember him saying that games now a days lost the chase, where a battle between 2 people could take minutes to resolve instead of respawning, and dieing a few seconds later like other games. (not exact quote, but what I got from him)

I think that the gaming audience has changed though. They want twitch, respawn instantly, and kill dudes in a few hits. Halo still goes by the old way to a degree, and Halo Reach sold a lot, but Call of Duty has become much more popular because of the quickness of battle.

Take me for example. I DESPISED Halo online because of the fact that it took way too many bullets to take someone down. I would be shooting and shooting and the guy would run away and regen, or someone would come along and take the kill away from me. It pissed me off so much, that I completely ignored Halo 3, Odst, and a good portion of Reach. I went into the COD franchise, and I loved it because I could take down a guy with just a few bullets.

Another example is Uncharted 2 online. Same thing happened. A lot of players are bullet sponges, and I would get annoyed that some guy I was pounding bullets into was not going down. I think Naughty Dog had a little test and lowered health didn't they?

Anyways, my point is that I'm not sure I agree with Jaffe about having long battles between 2 players. There is a community that prefers the old style, for sure. But I think the new generation prefers quick, fast battles, and for them, it's going to be hard to latch onto Twisted Metal and it's these people that are going to buy the games.

That being said, I haven't played the game at all, and don't have much exposure to it besides some videos here and there, so I can't really say with certainty about the health and damage ratio.However, I hope Jaffe has great success with the game. He's making the game he wants which is great, I'm just giving my 2 cents.

Holy crap man noo no no no0 nooo
1253886001_office-no.gif

The best thing about TM is the epic battles, surviving within a inch of your life, cloaking, freezing the opponent, or whatever other trick you manage to get away to live to fight another day. It's not just two people that will be duking it out, there will be more so fast kills would be highly annoying and render the specials and normal weapons cheap/useless.

Let's keep current gen habbits out, that stuff isn't fun. I liked socom one death then spectate more than death spawn death spawn. Quick kill/spawn made surviving less important (martydom kill streak!).

Redbeard

Banned
Instant deaths are one of the worse trends in gaming right now.

Not every game needs to be like CoD.

When a kill is more about who sees the other first, it takes a lot of skill out of the equation. Especially in a game with racing over large maps, instant kills would be infuriating and stupid.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Ploid 3.0 said:
Holy crap man noo no no no0 nooo.michaleNoTobyOffice.gif

The best thing about TM is the epic battles, surviving within a inch of your life, cloaking, freezing the opponent, or whatever other trick you manage to get away to live to fight another day. It's not just two people that will be duking it out, there will be more so fast kills would be highly annoying and render the specials and normal weapons cheap/useless.

Let's keep current gen habbits out, that stuff isn't fun. I liked socom one death then spectate more than death spawn death spawn. Made surviving less important (martydom kill streak!).

Well I'll say two things about this:

1- Scott and I don't want to make a game like other games; we don't want to make a shooter like other shooters. One of the biggest reasons we wanted to work on this game is because we feel that the Twisted Metal experience/style of play (and I think you describe it very well with the prolonged battles/relationships) has yet to be represented in an online shooter. THAT was the reason we jumped on board to begin with. So while we will always listen to and adjust our game based on overwhelming consensus (via playtesting and beta), we are very protective of that core idea/goal. If we don't have that, then what is the point of making this game to begin with? To be fair, we've got some people on the team who feel the cars should die much faster. But it's just not what we're going for.

2- As for dying once and you are out of the game: agree 1000%! Those are the modes in shooters I fucking LOVE because it makes me care about life. I want to strategize and am motivated to use tactics and master aspects of the mechanics. So that sort of play will be in TM. As will more team based play (Nuke). As will straight up Free For All DM and TDM style battles. It's not that we think we can be 'the game for everyone!' but with the core shooter mechanics, the goal is for the modes to speak to different play styles vs. some shooters that have many modes but the spirit and pace of the experience is identical across the modes.

David

I don't mind quick respawn TDM-based matches where K/D counts, but I will rape a cat if there is no free-for-all last man standing i.e. not quick death but more of a collect weapons, shoot strategically, consume special until you are 100% sure you can hit it, with special taking 50% of the health, etc etc: that's the game mode I will play all the time.

Just make sure that when you die in a Last man standing match, you can spectate other players and that you can quit if you feel like it and still get points for the position you died on (if it's Poker/Texas-hold-em style point system).

thcsquad

Mikey Jr. said:

Have you played something like DoTA? Jaffe's vision for TM multiplayer reminds me of DoTA matches, where a pitched battle between two heroes can last a couple of minutes. This is awesome, and involves much more than just shooting at each other for those two minutes until somebody dies, which I agree would be boring. That's where both skill and special abilities come into play, and often results in epic stories retelling single battles. Battles where successfully ambushing somebody gives you the upper hand but isn't insta-win. Battles where paying attention to your health and mastering the art of the retreat can save you. These are true battles, not the skirmishes that you have in Call of Duty. I've never played a Twisted Metal game, but I have a feeling that Jaffe is going for something similar, and I hope he pulls it off.

Grayman

I think an enjoyable battle in cars should be longer. Cars do not handle like people. There is no strafing, crouching, or jumping(ok maybe as a move but it won't feel like FPS jumping). Instead you have turning circles, reverse gear, 180 turns, maybe powerslides, and cat and mouse chases. None of that will shine if deaths are too fast. It would also feel sucky to get one hit killed "with your back turned" in cars.

Unicorn

So, when I go online in TM will I feel like I'm a unique butterfly with my car and loadout? Can each person/player be as identified with who they play as and their "build" as in previous iterations where the in-game characters defined the car they drove?

I guess what I'm really asking is: "how much customization and personalization is there?"

Because if there's one thing to pull from CoD its that aspect of each person playing feels like they are a unique soldier with a "loadout" that helps tune in and magnify their skills and playstyle. Something I think TM could top.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hey David are you the Eat Sleep Play Community Manager too?
Thanks for all the info and for not insulting my mom ! ;)

Mikey Jr.

hmm

Edited because don't really wanna say much more past my initial point.

Props to Jaffe and all the best in the game.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Unicorn said:
So, when I go online in TM will I feel like I'm a unique butterfly with my car and loadout? Can each person/player be as identified with who they play as and their "build" as in previous iterations where the in-game characters defined the car they drove?

I guess what I'm really asking is: "how much customization and personalization is there?"

Because if there's one thing to pull from CoD its that aspect of each person playing feels like they are a unique soldier with a "loadout" that helps tune in and magnify their skills and playstyle. Something I think TM could top.

Yes, no, maybe :)

Clearly I can't say much. I guess I can say what we are NOT...well....hmmm...I dunno...I don't want to ignore your question and I don't want to give the wrong impression (you would be incorrect if you assumed we had the sort of perk like customization that COD has) but I also think it's best to just wait a bit more, talk later.

Thanks for understanding.

David

Empty

any chance of getting twisted metal 2 up on PSN in europe, jaffe. i really doubt that's in your control at all, but i think it would help market the game over here and i want to play it without having to scour ebay for a copy.

Unicorn

davidjaffe said:
Yes, no, maybe :)

Clearly I can't say much. I guess I can say what we are NOT...well....hmmm...I dunno...I don't want to ignore your question and I don't want to give the wrong impression (you would be incorrect if you assumed we had the sort of perk like customization that COD has) but I also think it's best to just wait a bit more, talk later.

Thanks for understanding.

David
Understandable.

So, that's you confirming the Jet Moto bike is playable? Thanks man!

:lol

Bukana

I read like the whole thread twice, thanks Jaffe for answering the fans' questions.

I have questions of my own:

1- How many vehicles are going to be available at launch !?
2- Will Napalm be back !?
3- How many maps (levels) are going to be available at launch !?
4- Will it support recording a gameplay and uploaded to YouTube or share it with friends like Halo and other games !?
5- Will you add the old classic vehicles as a DLC pack in the future, also with maps !?
6- I hope for a TM Dynamic Theme release at the same day of the launch :D !, What do you think !?

Oh and iLoved this, GENIUS :

bukanatmps3.png

Ploid 3.0

Unicorn said:

-"Nice homing missile you have there"

-"I don't know what it's called.

I just know the sound it makes
when it takes a man's life." - Four Leaf Tayback

It's like handing people chess pieces. Just know your enemy and the tools he utilize. Maybe he like to make you chase him a bit then poop a power rocket screwing up your whole offensive advance. Or maybe he like to duck and zoom in buildings until he's in a blind spot, then call out the snipe strike. There's a ton of different ways people play the past TM games. They may play smart and efficient or to the point and aggressive. It's more than just about a difference that perks provide. Watch out for his weapons, and abilities. Prepare for the possible traps, and watch out for people that like to attack when you're busy struggling with this smart guy that is keeping you busy (decoy). The names are probably all you need for what makes people different.

Long story short, the way people use the environment, teamwork tactics, and what loadout they have (weapons picked up on the field, and the type of special they have) will determine their uniqueness enough.

Edit: If you want visual differences maybe they could be like TF2 and add hats? (not serious. I wondered why TF2 included hats. I guess red and blue wasn't good enough)

KAL2006

Banned
David Jaffe if your still going to read the thread, this is one thing that needs to be in the game. I am aware you can play splitscreen and online at the same time, but will the 2nd player be a guest account, can the 2nd player be a normal account as well, so the 2nd player can also rank up and get achievements too. COD Black Ops fucked us PS3 owners over, when games like LittleBigPlanet and Resistance 2 have done this before.

KAL2006 said:
COD Black Ops fucked us PS3 owners over

Indeed. Glad you brought this up. My gf's brother got Black Ops while we were there for Thanksgiving, and we were pretty upset over the fact that we couldn't both be signed in.

Question about the 3 endings: Can you see all 3 endings if you play the game on the hardest difficulty or do you see one ending associated to that difficulty?

How do you expect us to play if we want to achieve the best of the best in terms of ending?

Ploid 3.0

If you beat it on the hardest right off the bat, you should have no problem beating it on a lower difficulty. This isn't Castlevania, it shouldn't take you long to get to the ending. Think more in the line of a fighting game. Well if they stick to the other TM's story mode of fight in arena stages, get cutscene after x amount of fights.

Start story mode with Clip > fight arena 1 - 3 > cutscene oh crap it's a boss > kill boss > cutscene about story of your character being pumped to win this tournament to get ____ > 4 more fights > last boss cutscene > fight boss > final cutscene > Paint It Black playing in the background as the credits roll, and you can't turn it off because it's so awesome.

I don't think you'd be able to just unlock all of them because it wouldn't be the same as going through and experiencing a different story arc. Like he said you get different story depending on multiple factors. It'll just give you a reason to play through it again, replay!

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Unicorn said:
Understandable.

So, that's you confirming the Jet Moto bike is playable? Thanks man!

:lol

Oh man, much as a lot of us dig Jet Moto, from a pure business decision standpoint the only thing I'd like to see us working on less than a traditional- or even open world- racing game is a racing game with a futuristic/imaginative twist. Cool as a game I feel we could all do with Jet Moto, I'm just worried it would not do all that hot at retail. No data to back that up, just a gut feeling.

David

I have never seen another developer as active in conversing with fans as Jaffe in this thread. The Fucking MAN is ever so fitting.

Any chance you could tell us when we might get some more footage of the game? :p

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Bukana said:
I read like the whole thread twice, thanks Jaffe for answering the fans' questions.

I have questions of my own:

4- Will it support recording a gameplay and uploaded to YouTube or share it with friends like Halo and other games !?
5- Will you add the old classic vehicles as a DLC pack in the future, also with maps !?
6- I hope for a TM Dynamic Theme release at the same day of the launch :D !, What do you think !?

Oh and iLoved this, GENIUS :

bukanatmps3.png

JAFFE SAYS: Would love to say, but a) not allowed and b) frankly, not really sure yet. Scott is hoping we can get a few more in if there is time. I hope he's right :)

JAFFE SAYS: Yes. TMB napalm where you launch the can and drop it on a second press. Not the arc based napalm from TM2.

JAFFE SAYS: Same with vehicles. Not allowed to say. We will be doing derivatives of the core maps however. So for the map we showed at E3- for example (which- clearly- is in the game, so I'm not spilling any beans)- we have the main map, a map that is just a battle in and around and on top of the movie theater, a battle in/around the school and high school football stadium, and I think- for that map- one more? So all of our core maps (final number of core maps TBA) will get that sort of treatment.

JAFFE: We want to and our understanding is that it's a fairly simple thing to include but we're racing to get the core game done and it's possible (probable?) that that will come via an update if we don't get it on the launch disc.

JAFFE: We've talked about it. Nothing set in stone on DLC yet. We're killing ourselves to get the core game done at the moment.

JAFFE: Again, we've talked about it but not seen any motion on it as of yet. May happen, may not. Not really sure.

Thanks for the questions!
David

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
It's like handing people chess pieces. Just know your enemy and the tools he utilize. Maybe he like to make you chase him a bit then poop a power rocket screwing up your whole offensive advance. Or maybe he like to duck and zoom in buildings until he's in a blind spot, then call out the snipe strike. There's a ton of different ways people play the past TM games. They may play smart and efficient or to the point and aggressive. It's more than just about a difference that perks provide. Watch out for his weapons, and abilities. Prepare for the possible traps, and watch out for people that like to attack when you're busy struggling with this smart guy that is keeping you busy (decoy). The names are probably all you need for what makes people different.

Long story short, the way people use the environment, teamwork tactics, and what loadout they have (weapons picked up on the field, and the type of special they have) will determine their uniqueness enough.

I tell you what, I should print this out and carry it around in my wallet, read it to peeps and hand it out in interviews. About the best description of what we are trying to do with the game and have been trying since TM2-thanks!

The chess analogy is spot on. And so while we are fully aware of the player's desire to customize their look and/or play style (both of which we may or may not address post new year in fresh batches of interviews) the core issue here is that- as you say- the very nature of the game itself already allows for customization of play style simply by choosing one of the many vehicle types. Not to say we are going to ignore the trend of the day (and perhaps it's more of a trend, perhaps the level of deep play customization present in the MW games has evolved game design). But the core nature of TM already supports this play style and so if we DO support any of the customization elements, it will not be to the degree of MW2. I mean, would you really want to customize Kano in MK? I think if you gave me perks for Kano or Chun Li or whomever the whole balance falls apart.

David

Cruzader

Banned
Jaffe please borrow Warhawk's online type of service. You must include LAN multiplayer too, please!!!

Also TM Black HD....you know you want to so it Jaffe. Just DO It!

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
KAL2006 said:
David Jaffe if your still going to read the thread, this is one thing that needs to be in the game. I am aware you can play splitscreen and online at the same time, but will the 2nd player be a guest account, can the 2nd player be a normal account as well, so the 2nd player can also rank up and get achievements too. COD Black Ops fucked us PS3 owners over, when games like LittleBigPlanet and Resistance 2 have done this before.

Hey fully aware of the issue/complaint. Can't say anything more about it yet. Sorry :(...

David

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Ploid 3.0 said:
If you beat it on the hardest right off the bat, you should have no problem beating it on a lower difficulty. This isn't Castlevania, it shouldn't take you long to get to the ending. Think more in the line of a fighting game. Well if they stick to the other TM's story mode of fight in arena stages, get cutscene after x amount of fights.

Start story mode with Clip > fight arena 1 - 3 > cutscene oh crap it's a boss > kill boss > cutscene about story of your character being pumped to win this tournament to get ____ > 4 more fights > last boss cutscene > fight boss > final cutscene > Paint It Black playing in the background as the credits roll, and you can't turn it off because it's so awesome.

I don't think you'd be able to just unlock all of them because it wouldn't be the same as going through and experiencing a different story arc. Like he said you get different story depending on multiple factors. It'll just give you a reason to play through it again, replay!

Debating making players beat it on default to unlock hard to then unlock twisted mode.

Thoughts? Open it all from the get go? Or unlock it?

David

Cactus

Banned
David, I'm 0/2 with my questions, probably because they were vehicle related and you're tongue is still tied on that front, but I hope you can answer this one.

Ricochet bombs? Are they TMB style, or do they knock back vehicles like they used to? I'm happy with either, but I admit that I prefer the latter :D

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Yoboman said:
How many people are working on it?

About 32-35 at Eat Sleep Play.
2-4 producers at Sony Santa Monica (given the task)

And then a whole host of support people (movies, music, Sony Online team,etc).

David

Cactus

Banned
davidjaffe said:
Debating making players beat it on default to unlock hard to then unlock twisted mode.

David

Maybe beat 1 & 2 to unlock 3?

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Cactus said:
David, I'm 0/2 with my questions, probably because they were vehicle related and you're tongue is still tied on that front, but I hope you can answer this one.

Ricochet bombs? Are they TMB style, or do they knock back vehicles like they used to? I'm happy with either, but I admit that I prefer the latter :D

They are little RC cars with TNT strapped to them this time. They are slower than TMB but faster than TM2. They do knock players back far when they hit. You can also charge them up and then remote detonate them. So you can get really close for a sort of impact/upper cut attack (they don't home so you need to get close or lucky) OR you send one down a ramp, into a building,etc. and then detonate it. Detonation does about 40% less damage than direct hit but it has bigger range so it can hit multiple enemies at the same time.

David

Yoboman

davidjaffe said:
About 32-35 at Eat Sleep Play.
2-4 producers at Sony Santa Monica (given the task)

And then a whole host of support people (movies, music, Sony Online team,etc).

David
Do you think that's enough for a next gen product, or will you expand in the future?

Cactus

Banned
davidjaffe said:
They are little RC cars with TNT strapped to them this time. They are slower than TMB but faster than TM2. They do knock players back far when they hit. You can also charge them up and then remote detonate them. So you can get really close for a sort of impact/upper cut attack (they don't home so you need to get close or lucky) OR you send one down a ramp, into a building,etc. and then detonate it. Detonation does about 40% less damage than direct hit but it has bigger range so it can hit multiple enemies at the same time.

David

Thanks for the response. They sound more tactical, which is great.

mik

mik is unbeatable
davidjaffe said:
I cuss around them sometimes and every now and then I let them cuss just for the fun of it and to see what it's all about.
I don't cuss in front of my kids--because they yell at me if I do. Little fucking prudes.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Yoboman said:
Do you think that's enough for a next gen product?

Dunno- we'll know soon enough! :)

As I've said tho, this whole next-gen thing conflicts me.

I love visual pop much as the next guy and I think TM will have it's fair share of sweet ass visuals. I get the commercial and business value of making a game look like it is a painting come to life! :)

That said, when you work on a game that represents (for its time) some of the very best in visual and tech and then you watch as 6 months or 1 year or 5 years pass and your game is now quaint in those areas, it really gives you pause and makes you wonder 'are we doing anything more than just making special effect reels?'....it's not that working at that high level is easy. It sure as fuck is NOT. It requires a team of amazingly 'best of the best' pros and that team HAS to be working like a bad ass killing machine 100% of the time. BUT the older I get, the more empty that aspect of game making feels. All of the 'ooohs!' and "OMFG!!!!' and 'DAY 1 MOTHERFUCKER! DAY MOTHERFUCKIN 1!!!' hype after an amazing looking game trailer hits kind of feels pointless when you know that so much of what is causing the response is coming from such finite elements that-within months- will no longer be so awe inducing.

That is why I've gotten even more pure about play. Because play lasts. Tetris lasts, Ms. Pac Man lasts, Team Fortress 2 will probably last. God of War 1? Hmm...not so sure. It may- not being down on it-but even I admit that a great % of what a large % of peeps loved about that game was surface.

And look:I want the stuff we all work on together to look stunning and make people excited about their next gen hardware. That is part of our task. But more than that, I want the game to last and endure and be genuine and respectful of the medium of games.

So that's a super long ass answer to your question of 'is our team size enough'. I think so because a) I think our visuals are looking really good these days and b) I don't think we have to look like a painting come to life in order give players an amazing time...in fact, I think if our ultimate focus is on what lasts- gameplay- then we are giving players something much more valuable than visuals (no matter how stunning they may be).

David

ps. Not speaking for Eat Sleep Play here. There are amazing artists on our team who would- and rightly so- put visuals ahead of gameplay. That is their passion and I'm proud and honored we have such folks making the new Twisted look fantastic! Just speaking for me.

Madman

davidjaffe said:

David
Start with hard availible, unlock Twisted.

Glad to see Jet Moto has some fans still. Would have been nice if the series got another chance after 3. 1 bomb and the franchise is gone. :(

davidjaffe said:

David

Easy, Normal, Hard

Beat one of the bold to unlock twisted.

RDreamer

davidjaffe said:
Oh man, much as a lot of us dig Jet Moto, from a pure business decision standpoint the only thing I'd like to see us working on less than a traditional- or even open world- racing game is a racing game with a futuristic/imaginative twist. Cool as a game I feel we could all do with Jet Moto, I'm just worried it would not do all that hot at retail. No data to back that up, just a gut feeling.

David

Aside from Twisted Metal, Jet Moto is really the other big IP from the old Playstation days that I really really want back. It's still one of my favorite racing games of all time. Jet Moto and Twisted Metal 2 are what convinced me to get a PS1 way back when.

Top Bottom