• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: Twisted Metal coming 2011, release date announcement soon

V_Ben

Banned
You know what needs to be done with Jet Moto? a downloadable game, akin to Hydro Thunder Hurricane. It's lower risk, and is a great way of creating a new instalment in a franchise that has perhaps waned in popularity over the wearing away of time. I know i'd be more willing to spend £10 on a new Jet Moto (having never played an instalment in the franchise), than I would be at spending £40 on a new entry in the series.

My 2 cents :)

RDreamer

V_Ben said:
You know what needs to be done with Jet Moto? a downloadable game, akin to Hydro Thunder Hurricane. It's lower risk, and is a great way of creating a new instalment in a franchise that has perhaps waned in popularity over the wearing away of time. I know i'd be more willing to spend £10 on a new Jet Moto (having never played an instalment in the franchise), than I would be at spending £40 on a new entry in the series.

My 2 cents :)

Something like what Wipeout HD had would be perfect. Hell, if they just want to remake the same maps from the older games in HD I'd be cool with that, too. They can make up some money through the in game 'ads.' Jet Moto was always full of 'em and I didn't mind at all because it totally fit.

Afrikan

Madman said:
Start with hard availible, unlock Twisted.

Glad to see Jet Moto has some fans still. Would have been nice if the series got another chance after 3. 1 bomb and the franchise is gone. :(

in a weird way imo, Motorstorm has similar gameplay..with turbos and balancing landing.....or not :D ....but it plays pretty similar when u think about. You can rotate the bikes/cars in mid air to land them on the uneven terrain.

Always hoped that a Jet Moto game could have used the Motorstorm engine....if Sony didn't want to fund a project from the ground up.......maybe a PSN title :\

MSPR_AfriKan_1.jpg

Ploid 3.0

I'll always value replay, fun, and competitive games over graphics. One of my most played games this gen is Saints Row 2. It looks bleh but it's so much fun, GTA:SA too, GTA4 not at all. Rockstar took out most of the fun and depended on the online to provide all of it. It don't seem to work for GTA (for me) which was best as a SP game, drop in drop out, do whatever whenever you like. I was reduced to shooting cars with my shotgun to make them explode, then spamming the no wanted cheat (phone) each time to get the cops off my back. It sure looked pretty though :|

peull

Hey Dave! Really looking forward to the next twisted metal whoa! Maybe you could add an online mode à la Calling All Cars! This game was a blast 4 players competitive, too bad the servers are now down....

Madman

Afrikan said:
in a weird way imo, Motorstorm has similar gameplay..with turbos and balancing landing.....or not :D ....but it plays pretty similar when u think about. You can rotate the bikes/cars in mid air to land them on the uneven terrain.

Always hoped that a Jet Moto game could have used the Motorstorm engine....if Sony didn't want to fund a project from the ground up.......maybe a PSN title :\

[/QUOTE]
Agreed. They are very similar in a lot of ways. Still, would love a new Jet Moto.

Ploid 3.0

After the Apocalypse man created hover bikes. Can't get around that terrain with wheels anymore. Too many sharp rocks. Good thing Mountain Dew still exist then, their sponsorship made the whole hover tech possible.

David Jaffe,

Photo Mode ala Motorstorm please, Save replays the way its done in MLB 10 the show(its perfect).

If these have been answered or its too soon to ask my apologies, its just my little wish list.

Ploid 3.0

The things I would do with a replay like Just Cause 2, or photo save like motorstorm. 30seconds would be more than enough upload to youtube time. I don't mind it not being in though, it would just be for saving something that amazed you into a gif type thing.

Kronotech

I'm all for unlocking the "hardcore".

Available: Beginner, Normal, Hard
Unlock: Hardcore (after beating Hard)

Keep us gamers hard!

Afrikan said:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p203/Afrikanxl/MSPR_AfriKan_1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Oh man, I'd kill small animals for a Jet Moto HD remake. Or a brand new Jet Moto sequel all together. Goddamnit sony, dust off your IPs sitting on the shelves or give them to some people who would do something with them.

Grayman

davidjaffe said:
Oh man, much as a lot of us dig Jet Moto, from a pure business decision standpoint the only thing I'd like to see us working on less than a traditional- or even open world- racing game is a racing game with a futuristic/imaginative twist. Cool as a game I feel we could all do with Jet Moto, I'm just worried it would not do all that hot at retail. No data to back that up, just a gut feeling.

David
Throw me into the group that would love to see Jet Moto back. A Wipeout HD, or smaller, release might suit the game well if that could be more successful financially.

3- How many maps (levels) are going to be available at launch !?
JAFFE SAYS: Same with vehicles. Not allowed to say. We will be doing derivatives of the core maps however. So for the map we showed at E3- for example (which- clearly- is in the game, so I'm not spilling any beans)- we have the main map, a map that is just a battle in and around and on top of the movie theater, a battle in/around the school and high school football stadium, and I think- for that map- one more? So all of our core maps (final number of core maps TBA) will get that sort of treatment.
So the maps will subdivide like warhawk(and games like battlefield before it). David, can you say is this based on player count or tied to modes?

davidjaffe said:
Debating making players beat it on default to unlock hard to then unlock twisted mode.

Thoughts? Open it all from the get go? Or unlock it?

David
Based on other games released today I would say at minimum have hard open from the start. I am guessing that campaign has unlimited attempts at each point like every game made in the past 10 years? I generally play Sony's games on the hard setting the first time through. I have not played God of War or Uncharted on normal.

Ploid 3.0 said:
After the Apocalypse man created hover bikes. Can't get around that terrain with wheels anymore. Too many sharp rocks. Good thing Mountain Dew still exist then, their sponsorship made the whole hover tech possible.
And hot chicks still exist, according to Jet Moto and Mountain Dew!

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Grayman said:
Throw me into the group that would love to see Jet Moto back. A Wipeout HD, or smaller, release might suit the game well if that could be more successful financially.

So the maps will subdivide like warhawk(and games like battlefield before it). David, can you say is this based on player count or tied to modes?

Based on other games released today I would say at minimum have hard open from the start. I am guessing that campaign has unlimited attempts at each point like every game made in the past 10 years? I generally play Sony's games on the hard setting the first time through. I have not played God of War or Uncharted on normal.

And hot chicks still exist, according to Jet Moto and Mountain Dew!

The map break up is based on different things: player count, modes, etc. Some map version are designed specifically for 4 player split screen in mind (can't be as big as normal maps) but we put those in online too cause hell, there are times cramming 16 players into a small space-like the burbs movie theater- is just fucking good, clean, chaotic fun!

KAL2006

Banned
davidjaffe said:
The map break up is based on different things: player count, modes, etc. Some map version are designed specifically for 4 player split screen in mind (can't be as big as normal maps) but we put those in online too cause hell, there are times cramming 16 players into a small space-like the burbs movie theater- is just fucking good, clean, chaotic fun!

The stages I seen on the gameplay demo's seem far to big, I don't like getting lost and searching for the enemies for too long. Twisted Metal 2 had the perfect size stages, not too big and not too small. Just look at the paris level, all you have is the Eifel Tower connected to some rooftops, some roads between some building, a pool area just before heading to the Eifel Tower, and a secret house with two floors. That was perfect, it didn't need nothing more or less.

Here's an extended version of the interview that was in Game Informer

You’ve said that you want team-based gameplay to be a huge component of this game. Do you plan on featuring any support for clans, online stat-tracking, anything of that nature?

David Jaffe: In terms of ranking and stats, yeah...all that will be in there. Ranking up will be in there. A party system will be in there. The clan system I’m not sure yet if we’re gonna ship with or not. I think that’s still on the table. There’s definitely a persistence to your actions and your characters and a rank-up and leaderboards and all of that is certainly a big part of that. Our website as well will also aid substantially in building and fostering a very strong community around the title.

What about levels that expand as the round goes on?

David Jaffe: We had the iceberg level in TM2 that started big and shrank, then we had the boat level in Black that started small and grew. The thing that I always found interesting about that was that we got a lot of press and talk about it but when you actually play it, it never really played into the experience at the level that we wanted it to. We thought it would be a game-changer when you played, and it’s more like “Oh yeah, I guess the level is getting bigger.” It’s almost like an afterthought. We don’t have any that do that anymore. What we do have is a level that we haven’t shown yet that evolves and changes as you play. We’re still trying to sort of thread that needle because we feel that changing environments during gameplay are really cool, but we’re trying to get one that feels more substantial to the actual moment-to-moment play experience. I think we may have nailed it with this one but we’re not done yet, so it’s hard to say.

It seems that all of these stages are standalone stages like in the classic games. When you were working on the aborted Twisted Metal: Harbor City, there was talk of making the areas all interconnected into one gigantic world. Did you ever consider implementing this concept in the new installment?

Scott Campbell: That was a very ambitious undertaking and Harbor City was gonna be more of an objective-based version of Twisted with lots of deathmatch in-between. There are some really constraining things when you go down that path that we experienced that kind of prevented you from doing the old variety of levels that we’ve done in the past. You really start missing those. It’s great to have a big, huge environment, but on the same token you really start missing those really intense, smaller arena-type levels. For this one, we’ve got more classic Twisted like what you saw in TM2 or Black. Levels of all different varieties and sizes and hooks and elements.

David Jaffe: The other thing to remember is that we started and remain committed to making this game have the best single-player we’ve ever done and the bosses are all amazing, but it’s not Alan Wake. If you buy Twisted Metal because you want some great adventure single-player thing, that’s not what this is. For us, I would say so much of our passion and resources have gone into how we make this the best multiplayer game that’s out there. The single-player is gonna be great and fun, it’s got some really cool stuff, but when you’re talking about connecting levels like that, for the most part you don’t unless you’re doing an MMO, or a single player or campaign experience. For us it was about how that might be cool down the road, but how do we make the most amazing multiplayer game that’s out there?

Health bars seem to be a dying breed in modern games. Have you ever considered adding Twisted Metal to the list of games that utilize recharging health?

Scott Campbell: One of the core mechanics that has made the franchise successful is the pickup game. When you’re running low on health, that becomes the mother of all pickups. Part of what many players will do, myself included, is explore the level and create kind of these high-speed battle circuits that incorporate where the health pickups are and just the satisfaction of getting in that circuitry and going into battle and going out to repair your car. I don’t know, I still find a lot of fulfillment when I’m a couple pixels of red away from dying and getting that last health pickup. I think it’s just such a core mechanic to the game. The other cool thing about the health semi is that you can destroy it just like any other vehicle.

David Jaffe: And it can ram you, too. You come around a corner looking for health and you’re not paying attention, it can ram you and take half your health. I love health packs, I love health bars...for this game. I’m not saying I don’t appreciate the value that regen health brings to an FPS. Because you don’t have the fidelity of motion of a human character, the moment-to-moment interaction in a Twisted Metal game or any other kind of vehicle game is relatively simple. Your death comes less from crouching and strafing and looking up and hiding in a corner and waiting for someone to come around the corner to shoot you. It comes more from the weapons, the mechanics of the weapons, and using the environment. We have health semis in the new game that you can chase down like Knight Rider or Spy Hunter and you have this jostling battle with a guy you’re trying to kill who’s about to leap in the back of a semi truck to take 100% health and you’re trying to use freeze missiles and ram him to stop him before he gets in there. Without those semi trucks, without health packs, without “****, you’re about to kill me in Last Man Standing, I’ve gotta race across the level to get health”...without that, we really lose those opportunities to create that back-and-forth, cat-and-mouse tug of war that I feel represents so much of what the classic Twisted Metal games were in split-screen. We’ve talked about regen health every now and then, but for me it comes at too much of a cost.

We explored for a while “hey, maybe we should do more of a traditional loadout.” Pick a shotgun and a missile, that’s your loadout. It is a much simpler experience, you can put control in anybody’s hand. Unlike Twisted Metal, which has always had a little bit of a learning curve since you’re dealing with a lot more things you can do, it comes at too great of a cost to the core formula. Suddenly you’re only doing the same thing over and over versus “hey, now I’ve got a sniper rifle. Now I’ve got a swarmer missile. Now I have a remote control car.” Every time you get that, it allows you to change tactics and change the way you play. There are some things that I think people would call antiquated that I still look at with the Twisted Metal series and say this is such a core aspect of its DNA that if we lost it, we’d really lose a lot of the heart and soul of what makes the game great.

6Xkqm.jpg

TEj2g.jpg

zO1Vw.jpg

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...fe-and-scott-campbell-talk-twisted-metal.aspx

Making some of the classic Twisted Metal 1, Twisted Metal 2, and Twisted Metal Black maps available via DLC would pretty much allow you to print money.

I would absolutely LOVE to see some of the old levels brought back to life in the new Twisted Metal in HD. This game has DLC written all over it and I have no problem paying for extra stuff.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
KAL2006 said:
The stages I seen on the gameplay demo's seem far to big, I don't like getting lost and searching for the enemies for too long. Twisted Metal 2 had the perfect size stages, not too big and not too small. Just look at the paris level, all you have is the Eifel Tower connected to some rooftops, some roads between some building, a pool area just before heading to the Eifel Tower, and a secret house with two floors. That was perfect, it didn't need nothing more or less.

Well I don't think you'll need to worry about that. We DO have some mega sized maps but with 16 players- depending on the mode- there is usually at least ONE other person (and usually many more) around to battle. Also, while we do have mega sized maps, we also have many small, tight battle maps (for 2 to 16 players) and all sizes in between. Hope you find a lot of maps and map derivatives that you like!

David

KAL2006

Banned
davidjaffe said:
Well I don't think you'll need to worry about that. We DO have some mega sized maps but with 16 players- depending on the mode- there is usually at least ONE other person (and usually many more) around to battle. Also, while we do have mega sized maps, we also have many small, tight battle maps (for 2 to 16 players) and all sizes in between. Hope you find a lot of maps and map derivatives that you like!

David

Nice to know that, I like medium size maps. The Paris map is the perfect example of great level design. I loved opening up the secret mansion, going to the second floor then you can shoot people at the rooftops from the distance.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Hey! Got question for me or Scott or any of the Eat Sleep Play team about Twisted Metal? Shoot them to me here and on Thursday we will pick the best and/or most frequent and do video responses on the official Playstation Blog! They tell me TWISTED METAL gets to take over the PS BLOG all day Thursday so expect lots of cool stuff from the world of TM on 12/23! Consider it an early Christmas present and a late Hanukkah gift...and a REALLY late Easter present! Please note: Still not really revealing tons of new info (again, that's for the new year) but we are gonna try to sneak in a few cool, new tidbits of info, brand new art, contests, and such. So ask away! And then come see us on the PS blog this Thursday!

Thanks ya'll!

David

Cruzader

Banned
3rdamention said:
Making some of the classic Twisted Metal 1, Twisted Metal 2, and Twisted Metal Black maps available via DLC would pretty much allow you to print money.

I would absolutely LOVE to see some of the old levels brought back to life in the new Twisted Metal in HD. This game has DLC written all over it and I have no problem paying for extra stuff.

Something something splitting the community.

I rarely buy DLC but dont mind it. Classic TM maps in HD would be awesome but I'd rather get TMB HD ffs.

Heres a question for the blog session:

Have you consciously or subconsciously made any game design decisions or changes that you think will make Twisted Metal appeal more to European and Asian markets?

davidjaffe said:
Hey! Got question for me or Scott or any of the Eat Sleep Play team about Twisted Metal? Shoot them to me here and on Thursday we will pick the best and/or most frequent and do video responses on the official Playstation Blog! They tell me TWISTED METAL gets to take over the PS BLOG all day Thursday so expect lots of cool stuff from the world of TM on 12/23! Consider it an early Christmas present and a late Hanukkah gift...and a REALLY late Easter present! Please note: Still not really revealing tons of new info (again, that's for the new year) but we are gonna try to sneak in a few cool, new tidbits of info, brand new art, contests, and such. So ask away! And then come see us on the PS blog this Thursday!

Thanks ya'll!

David

Presence data. Yes or no?

Grayman

davidjaffe said:
I have no idea what that is. Please explain?

Thanks!

David
some games, show more data than the game name on PSN friends list.

ie:
Dudebro
Call of Duty Black Ops
FFA (map) (players)

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Grayman said:
some games, show more data than the game name on PSN friends list.

ie:
Dudebro
Call of Duty Black Ops
FFA (map) (players)

Gotcha- didn't know it was called that. Not sure. Will check, get back to you.

Thanks for the lesson!

David

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
davidjaffe said:

Thanks for the lesson!

David
Its just a single line of code and its quite helpful.
(My personal PS3 pet peeve) :lol

Will their be a photo mode?

I'm and old cat based on video gaming, I'm probably way past your target audience. I've played pretty much all of the games you guys have produced. My video gaming is limited and the consumers are being flooded with video games and I probably haven't finished many of the games I have, simply because, I'm on to whats new(I hate that about me) anyways put the mid nineties effort into this game, so I can relive that era and get shit faced with my friends. I missed the sitting next to a Mother Fucker, calling him just that.

Online has killed the intimacy of gaming. Devs don't care about the dude who just want to game with his boys on a Saturday getting faded.

Agent X

Lagspike_exe said:

I have to say, that's a good suggestion. I hope this makes it into the game.

gluv65 said:
Will their be a photo mode?

This too. Do something wickedly cool (pull off a damaging attack, execute a spectacular jump, or just find a breathtaking view of the landscape), then press pause and capture the moment.

While people are tossing out great ideas, I'll add one of my own. I'd like to see some kind of match recording mode, similar to what Uncharted 2 has done in multiplayer. You could save your favorite matches, watch them again and again, and figure out where your strategies went right or wrong. Being able to export video to YouTube or the XMB (something Uncharted 2 doesn't have) would be icing on the cake.

Lard

Banned
Please don't tell me you're going to turn this into a Facebook game like EA did with NFS Hot Pursuit.

(NO social media bullshit please)

Man

Universal invite system (like more and more PS3 games are supporting, Cod, Home etc) needs to be included (and especially important for such a MP focused game). So you can boot into TM directly from your Dead Nation session etc.

Lagspike_exe said:
Best question ever!

Would love an invite system straight from XMB that will launch into the game and onto the multiplayer lobby, as it's done very nicely by Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops. Also, the ability to see what the player is doing is also done very nicely by Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops.

davidjaffe said:

Thanks for the lesson!

David

If you haven't done it or even planned it, you should try to scrap some free time and do it properly.

From my experience, seeing a few friends playing a certain game with Presence Data on the PSN is a VERY powerful marketing instrument.

Man

Lagspike_exe said:
If you haven't done it or even planned it, you should try to scrap some free time and do it properly.
A bit scary. Kinda like Naughty Dog being surprised EU folks were downloading US demos (UC1 demo release) and then having to revert region lock.
Are you working in such a vacuum? Goes for any PS3 title (especially 1st party) not using Presence data and the universal invite system post COD: MW2.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Man said:
A bit scary. Kinda like Naughty Dog being surprised EU folks were downloading US demos (UC1 demo release) and then having to revert region lock.
Are you working in such a vacuum? Goes for any PS3 title (especially 1st party) not using Presence data and the universal invite system post COD: MW2.

Actually, I played Black Ops quite a bit and I know exactly what you are talking about. I just didn't know it was called presence data.

For the thursday extravaganza:

Jaffe: Who created the original concept of Sweet Tooth? I liked the God of War -making of documentary where the creation of Kratos was explained, can you do a similar one on Sweet Tooth and/or other memorable characters of Twisted Metal.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
[URL="http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/24/david-jaffe-twisted-metal-ps3-questions/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=JaffeTwistedMetal_122410]Jaffe Q&A in the PS Blog[/URL]

Nice shotout to GAF too !

Fersis said:
[URL="http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/24/david-jaffe-twisted-metal-ps3-questions/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=JaffeTwistedMetal_122410]Jaffe Q&A in the PS Blog[/URL]

- Yes to dual PSN log in.
- No controllable bosses. He says that when you see them you'll understand why.

Fersis said:

link doesn't work for me..

got it working though.

slider

Always-honest said:
link doesn't work for me..

got it working though.

Why does that extra junk get put in links sometimes? Usually happens to me with pics. Hmm.

Anyway, cool interview.

Jaffe is such a cool guy. I adore his honesty, passion and his genuine regard to the fans of the franchises he's involved in.

I really can't wait for this game. I feel like it's hovering under the radar a bit (a little like SOCOM 4 and MotorStorm: Apocalypse), but I really hope Eat Sleep Play can knock this out of the park. I fear the game's going to be a tough sell to some people, but Jaffe seems really proud of where they are at so that's encouraging.

Honestly I think this is the perfect summer game. I feel like it needs to come out at a time when there's not much else on the shelves.

I'll always have a place for a really good car combat game. There's basically zero competition in the genre right now... I feel like it's the "right" time for a new game y'know. I'm really looking forward to it.

Top Bottom