• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: Twisted Metal coming 2011, release date announcement soon

Yeah, Prison Passage, France, Antarctica, and Amazonia are probably my favorite classic TM levels. I'd love to see the respective TM1, TM2, and TM:B Rooftops levels revisited, but TM PS3 is already going to have its own, which may obviate the need for a remake of any of those (even though the Rooftops levels are the most three-dimensional in the series and therefore the most varied, even if their aesthetics are quite similar).

antiloop

Now when I think about it I really miss the 1st person view. It made fights more intense in a way. Oh well..

Anyhow framedrops or tearing is nothing I personally care about but many people do and it can destroy a game like this (not for the hardcores but..). So work on polish and presentation. First impression is important.

Oh and I want surprises. :p

KAL2006

Banned
I wonder how the bosses will be. Black had 3 bosses I think, Minion which was fucking huge and had a barrier around the vehicle. I remember, it was in the small stadium stage. Me and my buddy had a blast beating Minion. Or and I remember the final boss, that giant helicopter. Also fucking Darktooth.

Classic vehicles I want in the game
Darkside
Warthog
Hammerhead
Minion
Twister
Axel

Can anyone remember a game called Rogue Trip, that was also a great game.

Unicorn

I don't know how things work now, but I remember in the old days TM2 had a jet moto level to play on...

could perhaps this time we have a Jet Moto bike as something to combat with?:lol

oh, who am I kidding, I just want a new Jet Moto.

Classic levels that need a remastering:
-Suburbia - large residential area with connections to a free way and a canal area.
-Antarctica
-France
-Hong Kong

Returning characters/cars:
Twister
Crimson Fury
Yellow Jacket
Roadkill
Mr. Slam
Outlaw
Warthog
Specter
Thumper
Grasshopper (Green Hopping Dune Buggy of Annoyance!)

Edit:
Just read this on TMA and am now HYPED!
Rooftop (name pending) - Twisted Metal wouldn't be Twisted Metal without a rooftop level, would it? This rooftop level has many little moments for TM fanboys. The TM1 rooftop Pyramid atrium makes its return twice, and even the TM2 rooftop swimming pool can be found at the bottom of one of the falls. De ja vu? The rooftop edges are also rounded and pointing downward/upward for battling off of different rooftops. There is a large loop track on the outside edge of the map, and a figure 8 track in the very middle. The VERY center of the map spins in a circle like a restaurant in Vegas, and the developers promise more ramps and passageways between roofs then ever before.

Grayman

KAL2006 said:
Can anyone remember a game called Rogue Trip, that was also a great game.
I do not remember the actual game well but I remember it being made by single trac(TM1/2, Jet Moto) and having a "real band" sound track, ska music i think.

Unicorn said:
I don't know how things work now, but I remember in the old days TM2 had a jet moto level to play on...

could perhaps this time we have a Jet Moto bike as something to combat with?:lol

oh, who am I kidding, I just want a new Jet Moto.

Classic levels that need a remastering:
-Suburbia - large residential area with connections to a free way and a canal area.
-Antarctica
-France
-Hong Kong

Returning characters/cars:
Twister
Crimson Fury
Yellow Jacket
Roadkill
Mr. Slam
Outlaw
Warthog
Specter
Thumper
Grasshopper (Green Hopping Dune Buggy of Annoyance!)

Edit:
Just read this on TMA and am now HYPED!
You and me both. I think it would suit current tech really well. Nice locales in many environments and awesome looking hoverbikes.

dreamfall

Jaffe is the MAN. I've been playing a lot of NFS and it's hilarious because my Interceptor battles usually end with me wrecking police officers when I'm supposed to be outrunning them. I kept telling homies I was always more of a Twisted fan than an arcade racer fan.

I can not wait for the real deal!

Any chance for the Beta soon?! I'm dying over here~!

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
dreamfall said:
Jaffe is the MAN. I've been playing a lot of NFS and it's hilarious because my Interceptor battles usually end with me wrecking police officers when I'm supposed to be outrunning them. I kept telling homies I was always more of a Twisted fan than an arcade racer fan.

I can not wait for the real deal!

Any chance for the Beta soon?! I'm dying over here~!

Cool! Glad you are excited! We're all cranking like crazy so we don't let TM fans down!

As for a Beta, TBD. Not sure when it's gonna be yet and not sure if we're doing public, semi-public, or private. As soon as I know, I will let you guys know.

Thanks!

David

RyuHayate

David, I haven't played a Twisted Metal game since I was 6 or so (maybe it was TM2?), but I do remember running down random pedestrians littered about the various arenas. Are they making a return? Thanks in advance!

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
RyuHayate said:
David, I haven't played a Twisted Metal game since I was 6 or so (maybe it was TM2?), but I do remember running down random pedestrians littered about the various arenas. Are they making a return? Thanks in advance!

Are pedestrians making a return? Man I sure as shit hope so! That's the plan and they are in the game as we speak :)

David

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Can you speak on the tone of the music that will be in the game with a comparison to the other soundtracks?

Will there be Bonus stages in single player? If so, how are the bonus stages handled? (don't expect you to answer this)

Who is the most agile car thus far? Who is the most oh shit, run car?

Is spectre's missile harder or easier to avoid than Head on?

I don't think he's in this time, but if you guys put Crimson fury in, Please dont make his special useless. :p

Unlockable bosses?

the ONLY way to get health is to follow the health truck? does he drop turbo also, or is that scattered throughout the level as usual?

Who is your favorite character to use right now? Favorite level?

If you answer at least one of these questions, I'll be happy.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
FootNinja said:
Can you speak on the tone of the music that will be in the game with a comparison to the other soundtracks?

JAFFE SAYS: Nothing is locked yet but the core idea is this: 4 channels. Channel 1=metal music with 70's/80's inspired original metal music, modern style metal, and then we're hoping to license a few metal songs as well but we may or may not do that. Looking at stuff like Diamond Eyes by Shinedown and Heavy Metal by Sammy Hagar (plus more) but hard to say if that's a go or not yet. Channel 2=orchestral movie music like the rooftops music in TM1. Got one of my fave movie music composers of all time lined up and if the contract gets signed, he'll be doing this channel! So excited! :) Channel 3= hybrid/mix/mash up (aka random selects of channel 1 and 2). Channel 4=custom soundtrack.

NONE of this is locked but this is the plan. It's subject to change but I hope not :)

Will there be Bonus stages in single player? If so, how are the bonus stages handled? (don't expect you to answer this)

JAFFE SAYS: Bonus stage ala TM:HEAD ON? No, nothing like that in this game.

Who is the most agile car thus far? Who is the most oh shit, run car?

JAFFE SAYS: Nothing...yet! :) We start tuning the cars to differentiate them from one another come January. I imagine the cycle and some of the sports cars will be the most agile. The goal is never to have a shit car. Handling wise if a car is shit, we like to think we balance it in other areas (great special weapon, armor, more weapon carry capacity, etc)...

Is spectre's missile harder or easier to avoid than Head on?

JAFFE SAYS: Can't answer w/out giving too much away. Sorry :(. BUT I will say the goal is to have all weapons able to be dodged based on if you play well.

I don't think he's in this time, but if you guys put Crimson fury in, Please dont make his special useless. :p

JAFFE: Promise! :)

Unlockable bosses?

JAFFE SAYS: Can't get into details but let's just say I doubt it. When you see them you will know why. Do you expect to unlock Cronos in GOW III? Ok, that's hyperbole. We got nothing that big but the point being that our bosses are FUCKIN BOSSES if you know what I mean :lol

the ONLY way to get health is to follow the health truck? does he drop turbo also, or is that scattered throughout the level as usual?

Health comes from driving into the back of the semi health truck, grabbing health pick up in the level and grabbing health your team mate (tow truck) drops onto the battlefield.

Who is your favorite character to use right now? Favorite level?

JAFFE SAYS: Mr. Grimm is my fave because his chain saw that he throws does MEGA DAMAGE BUT there is a LOOOONG wind up before he lets the weapon fly so the timing is very odd/unusual/tricky BUT when you get it down and get a hit it feels great! And when you drag the saw along the ground when you pop a wheelie it flames up and then when you throw it it does even MORE damage so he can be devastating if you are good with him. His armor and/or hit points tho- as they should be- are poo.

If you answer at least one of these questions, I'll be happy.

JAFFE SAYS: I live to serve! Plus my kids are in the bath singing Ke$ha and Taylor Swift songs. I need to get them out but I ain't gonna interrupt the cuteness. So I got a few minutes to kill! :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Stupid question time, and apologies if its been asked, but any chance for a cockpit view? (ie steering wheel view, not bumper cam). I'd imagine it would be somewhat useless in gameplay but pretty fun to play with.

And how hard is it to add steering wheel support? (must be hard since few racing games support it sadly).

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I got this shit eating grin painted on my face. Thanks David, will buy two copies of this game.

Edit- Chubicans, I believe he said there wont be any cockpit view in this game. I don't think it would be practical in a game like this to be honest.

AAK

chubigans said:
Stupid question time, and apologies if its been asked, but any chance for a cockpit view? (ie steering wheel view, not bumper cam). I'd imagine it would be somewhat useless in gameplay but pretty fun to play with.

He already answered that, unfortunately no.

These have prolly been answered before but:

-destroyable environs ala the Eiffel Tower?

-d-pad combos for special moves?

-how does Grasshopper (the helicopter iirc) control? will you be able to fly upwards with it? how high?

-will there be only 4 stories/endings since there's only 4 clans?

AAK

robut said:

destructable environments was present all over the trailer, and Jaffe iirc mentioned in Comic con and such that there will be plenty of easter eggs in levels like how you stripped the statue of liberty in TM2.

And I think he mentioned that there will be 9 endings depending on the difficulty played.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
robut said:

JAFFE SAYS: 100% yes. Eiffel Tower prob not but yes TONS of destruction and lots of other sorts of interactivity. Some is just for drama and selling the vibe of TM, some directly affects play.

-d-pad combos for special moves?

JAFFE SAYS: Sort of. Dpad in all 4 directions does the energy attacks plus there are others/more. Can't say much about that. But the up-up-right-down/TJ Combo sytle stuff for the most part is gone.

-how does Grasshopper (the helicopter iirc) control? will you be able to fly upwards with it? how high?

JAFFE SAYS: Grasshopper the helicopter? Not sure I understand. Isn't grasshopper the dune buggy from TM2 and TM:HEAD ON?

JAFFE SAYS: There are 3 main characters, each with 3 unique (maybe semi unique is a better way to phrase the difference between intros) intro movies (so 9 intro movies). Your difficulty determines which intro and which ending you see. Each character has 3 unique endings. And these are all brand new endings/stories...they are not- for the most part- the same story and the very last scene is different. They are totally different stories and in some cases, what the character wants from Calypso is totally unique as well. So a total of 9 endings. And then there is more that really ties the universe together but I can't get into that at all right now.

David

DJ Crimson said:
Will there be a clan system in place? If so, I hope it isn't the lazy way out like the past CoD games where it's only the clan tag.

Sorry if I missed it but have you answered this yet? :D

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
DJ Crimson said:
Sorry if I missed it but have you answered this yet? :D

Hey- have not answered this yet. Can't really go into those sorts of things yet. But as soon as I can, I'll let you know!

David

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Going to the beginning of this thread and reading from there has been very insightful. I really wish i could will a game into 8.4 million sales, because this would be that game if it turns out to be as good as I think it will be.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
for what it's worth, as someone who has never played a TM game, I still don't really 'get' the appeal. It feels like a boys-club I'm not a part of and, to be honest, if your name (Jaffe) wasn't attached to it I wouldn't look at it twice.

I don't know if this post is useful in the slightest, but hey, here it is. I'm not expecting a reply to this post with a beat-by-beat pitch, telling me why I should buy the game, I'm just throwing this out there as a tiny, tiny shred of data. Everything gives off the 'you have to be in on it' vibe.

Maybe I'm an outlier.

Thanks for answering my questions David! For my part, I've been a huge fan since the first game. Loved the original, the sequel and Black. I work at Gamestop and pretty much every time I mention the new Twisted Metal people get excited. Looking forward to hearing the real street date and getting people even more hyped!

Ploid 3.0

Rez said:
for what it's worth, as someone who has never played a TM game, I still don't really 'get' the appeal. It feels like a boys-club I'm not a part of and, to be honest, if your name (Jaffe) wasn't attached to it I wouldn't look at it twice.

I don't know if this post is useful in the slightest, but hey, here it is. I'm not expecting a reply to this post with a beat-by-beat pitch, telling me why I should buy the game, I'm just throwing this out there as a tiny, tiny shred of data. Everything gives off the 'you have to be in on it' vibe.

Maybe I'm an outlier.

For me it's just pure fun. Either co-op or multiplayer deathmatch. You know how shooters are with powerups and floating weapons. You could be working on killing one guy and have to worry about your back. With the abilities and specials the cat and mouse thing is just fun.

Oh man, I just remembered. Remote mines. My memory is fuzzy about the map layouts in TM2 but I remember doing some awesome traps with remote mines in Paris. Something dealing with the tower and the main road in the center of the map. Like laying down a air mine near a health pickup in Warhawk PS3. (kisses puckered fingers) Mwah Magnifique.

Grayman

Ploid 3.0 said:
For me it's just pure fun. Either co-op or multiplayer deathmatch. You know how shooters are with powerups and floating weapons. You could be working on killing one guy and have to worry about your back. With the abilities and specials the cat and mouse thing is just fun.

Oh man, I just remembered. Remote mines. My memory is fuzzy about the map layouts in TM2 but I remember doing some awesome traps with remote mines in Paris. Something dealing with the tower and the main road in the center of the map. Like laying down a air mine near a health pickup in Warhawk PS3. (kisses puckered fingers) Mwah Magnifique.
if you drop a remote mine after entering the teleporter the next person up to the tower gets dead. The tower also collapses to cross some roofs. I am pretty sure you do not have to go to the main road to watch for a person up there, but you could to see the tower blow up.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Rez said:

Maybe I'm an outlier.
Do you like shooters? Would you rather play as some slow ass human, or drive around in a bad ass vehicle in a level with a bunch of hidden paths and secrets? It isn't a play for a few seconds and die kind of game like COD, how long you last in a match has to do with how smart you play.

I think if anyone who is into shooters puts in a little bit of time, they will be hooked, no one should be an outlier.

Xater

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I hope there's a making of documentary. I like that stuff.

I'd rather have Jaffe come on to a podcast like Weekly Confirmed or the Bombcast where he can speak his mind. All these game documentaries are usually way too PR influenced and neutered.

Kafel

Banned
Rez said:

Maybe I'm an outlier.

It's the same for me, I only read posts here out of curiosity.

It's seems this game is part of a particular genre with a niche market of quite vocal gamers. Maybe it's the demography.

None of my friends were into this game or Vigilante 8 back in the days so the atmosphere around the recent XBLA remake and this TM version is somewhat strange to me.

Ploid 3.0

Xater said:
I'd rather have Jaffe come on to a podcast like Weekly Confirmed or the Bombcast where he can speak his mind. All these game documentaries are usually way too PR influenced and neutered.

The reason I like commentary is because they are usually about the thought process in creating the product. I like seeing how things were done, and going on a podcast won't have much to do with that. The GoW behind the scenes were awesome for that. If they did a Sly Cooper type of commentary as you play through the level, explaining why x was placed at y that would be cool, but for a game like GoW. For TM if they did extras like that I'd rather it be a behind the scenes bonus via unlock or something.

Jaffe was already on a couple of good podcasts where he spoke his mind. If he go on one to talk about TM it would be just like this here. People would ask questions, and he'd explain stuff.

Oh about TM PS3, please tell me the AI don't gang up on the player while letting their AI buddies slide. I'm not sure exactly what the AI was programed to do but it sure felt like that was going on in CAC and TM:Black. More so in CAC since it was score based, while I could just run and isolate enemies in TM:Black.

CAC
AI has the ball - I have to stop the layup whit little help of the AI.

I have the ball - AI team is pissed.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
robut said:
Thanks for answering my questions David! For my part, I've been a huge fan since the first game. Loved the original, the sequel and Black. I work at Gamestop and pretty much every time I mention the new Twisted Metal people get excited. Looking forward to hearing the real street date and getting people even more hyped!

Thank you sir! We can use all the help we can get. That is very, very appreciated! Us TM folk may not be legion like some other franchises but we are loud and proud! Your support means tons to the team- thanks! Hope you enjoy the new game.

David

Rez said:
for what it's worth, as someone who has never played a TM game, I still don't really 'get' the appeal.
Well maybe you should play them then? Its hard to understand the appeal of a game if you've never played it.

Hi David, a guy here who is on the waiting list has got in contact with me with a couple of questions for you. He'd be over the moon if you managed to answer them for him.

First question is, can you switch the steering from the left joystick to the d-pad, and the energy attacks from the d-pad to the left joystick. In every other TM game I always drive using the d-pad but now it's forcing you to use the joystick, so is there going to be an option to switch them?

Second question is if cloaking is going to be in the game. A picture shows the d-pad with, up = freeze, left = mines, and right = shield. I'm guessing if you hit down it'll do a rear fire attack but that still leaves no option for cloaking. So is that going to be in the game?

Thanks.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Galvanise_ said:
Hi David, a guy here who is on the waiting list has got in contact with me with a couple of questions for you. He'd be over the moon if you managed to answer them for him.

First question is, can you switch the steering from the left joystick to the d-pad, and the energy attacks from the d-pad to the left joystick. In every other TM game I always drive using the d-pad but now it's forcing you to use the joystick, so is there going to be an option to switch them?

Second question is if cloaking is going to be in the game. A picture shows the d-pad with, up = freeze, left = mines, and right = shield. I'm guessing if you hit down it'll do a rear fire attack but that still leaves no option for cloaking. So is that going to be in the game?

Thanks.

Hey-

On #1: Not sure yet. We are still messing with our different control set ups. Will let you know.

On #2: Can't go into details about those sorts of attacks at the moment. Soon though. But we are certainly aware of cloaking and such being things players dig.

Sorry I can't be more specific on either at the moment- Sony would kill me if I spill any beans before they are ready.

Thanks!

David

Unicorn said:
ohh daaamn i remember that level! i loved it to death.. for some reason it blew me away, some of the first open-world(-ish) gameplay i ever experienced. good stuff.

and now im suddenly really hyped for the new game. when this game comes out i'll be inviting some longtime friends to play some split-screen, for old times' sake. cannot wait. also hi from Finland Jaffe :)

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Galvanise_ said:

davidjaffe said:
On #1: Not sure yet. We are still messing with our different control set ups. Will let you know.

Please, please, YES, allow for d-pad steering. I remember how disappointed I was when GTA removed that option.

Then again I will still get this game if the only control option was Move-with-feet.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
davidjaffe said:
JAFFE SAYS: I live to serve! Plus my kids are in the bath singing Ke$ha and Taylor Swift songs. I need to get them out but I ain't gonna interrupt the cuteness. So I got a few minutes to kill! :)

Dear Mr. Jaffe,

I can't thank you enough for allowing me to live my dream of stabbing a minotaur in the mouth, but PLEASE don't let your kids listen to Kesha. She is a horrible creature.

I am only kinda joking.

Tr4nce

Oh my god! How DID I MISS THIS THREAD. Was one of my first games when the PS1 came out. Let's hope it has Axel in it :D

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Dear Mr. Jaffe,

I can't thank you enough for allowing me to live my dream of stabbing a minotaur in the mouth, but PLEASE don't let your kids listen to Kesha. She is a horrible creature.

I am only kinda joking.

Of course you are only kinda joking. Ke$ha is not traditionally beautiful and- to be fair- not even that cute. But there is something kind of sexy about her.

And yes, I am fully aware that at 39, me talking that way about Ke$ha- who is ,what, 22?- is a bit/lot on the creepy side but fuck it: I embrace what I am :).

But at this very moment- as I make edit notes to the Mr. Grimm end movie #2 and #3- I got Bing Crosby Xmas music on heavy itunes rotation so I can balance out some of the 'dirty middle aged man' thing with some good old fashioned 'dude you are way too fucking young to be into Bing Crosby' thing.

David

This is one of those series that I always liked, but never really became the biggest fan of. That being said, really can't wait for this. PS3 is fucking killing it in 2011, I just hope none of these awesome looking games end up under-delivering (it's possible-- look at the Resistance 2 backlash).

In Jaffe I Trust

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Revolutionary said:
If that music channel idea goes through, would you please consider putting in some classic TM tracks a la http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLFok2t605k in one of them? :D

Oh, and Roadkill is a no-show in this one, right? :(

Which version of Roadkill? We have a car named Roadkill for sure and he's a scrappy fighter like in the past but we don't have the boomerang special and we've taken his special from Black and turned it into our Swarmer pick up. So he's there in spirit and in name and in mechanics but like with every TM, we swap shit around to make it make sense for the curent title.

David

David can you somehow work your avatar into the game? Maybe have it on the front of a vehicle, it would be a nice thing to see before getting clobbered.

davidjaffe said:
And yes, I am fully aware that at 39, me talking that way about Ke$ha- who is ,what, 22?- is a bit/lot on the creepy side but fuck it: I embrace what I am :).
David

If the cherries are red, they are ready for plucking. . .when girls are sixteen, they are ready for fucking.

I'm from the UK, before you call me a nonce.

Cactus

Banned
davidjaffe said:
Which version of Roadkill? We have a car named Roadkill for sure and he's a scrappy fighter like in the past but we don't have the boomerang special and we've taken his special from Black and turned it into our Swarmer pick up. So he's there in spirit and in name and in mechanics but like with every TM, we swap shit around to make it make sense for the curent title.

David

How about Thumper? You probably can't answer that, so let me ask if there is a straight-shooting flamethrower special on one of the vehicles? That was always my favourite.

Top Bottom