• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT2| A League of xX-=DaMaGeD=-Xx Gentlemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

IconGrist

Superman audiences disliked, Lex and Joker the two biggest villains in comics are unsalvageable as-is.
and the fact that the one element of these movies that was unanimously like Batfleck(might) want out.

I see no reason these can't be adjusted if needed. Hell most people's issue with Lex was his mannerisms. Very minor group complained about his size. Mannerisms is an easy fix.

Superman audiences disliked, Lex and Joker the two biggest villains in comics are unsalvageable as-is.
and the fact that the one element of these movies that was unanimously like Batfleck(might) want out.

God forbid they try to give Superman an actual story arc in the universe.

As for Lex, it's easy. Lex gets out and prison/Arkham has changed him. He comes out cold and calculating and leaves the nonsense behind. We already saw glimpses of it with him and Superman on the roof.

Joker.. Joker is just screwed. However, if someone could tell Leto to stop playing him like he's nodding out on heroin and gave him better material and I could probably live with it.

If Affleck actually does want out unless Wonder Woman and Justice League are very well received I do think they have to pull some Flashpoint-ish stunt.

I also like how people are ignoring the whole contracts issue. Most of these people are under multi-film deals and most haven't even released their first film in that deal yet.
Im not saying dump the actors exactly.

Aquaman - he will just be meh at worst imo and inoffensive.
Wonder Woman - people generally liked her in BvS she would need to tank WW and JL on her own to be unsalvageable.
Superman -easily fixed
Flash - actor will be fine, suit can be fixed
Cyborg - redesign, keep the actor but change the solo to Teen Titans if bad
Batman -is fine unless Ben actually wants out
Lex- .... I have no clue
Joker- keep the actor just redesign from the ground up, write him differently, reel him in a bit.

God forbid they try to give Superman an actual story arc in the universe.

As for Lex, it's easy. Lex gets out and prison/Arkham has changed him. He comes out cold and calculating and leaves the nonsense behind. We already saw glimpses of it with him and Superman on the roof.

Joker.. Joker is just screwed. However, if someone could tell Leto to stop playing him like he's nodding out on heroin and gave him better material and I could probably live with it.

Problem is Superman was just a bit bland initially but legitimately disliked in BvS,
With him returning in Justice League which still has Snyder directing I just don't have faith he can do it.

Lex yeah I agree but its going to be a lot of effort winning people back imo.

Busty

Banned
Marvel retaining merchandising rights is what hurt Sony the most. They kept spending more and making less on the movies, and the value proposition tipped. As an example, Warner's reported that DC merchandise made around $4.5bil in 2016.

In the recent Sony earnings report the Sony CFO (IIRC) commented about how big a mistake this was on their part.

There is so much opinion and rumour in this I don't even know why you bother posting it.

Man, I'm still baffled how Campea pulled a stunt like this and then acts like he didn't expect this to happen, the hypocrisy of this guy. Even the way he worded things defies all logic.

People give to much power to these youtube journalists. Hell even Clark became a blogger during the New52.

JdFoX187

Banned
Lex was great, screw the haters. The helipad scene, that shit where he was force feeding the Senator jolly ranchers, creepy and menacing as hell.

The Jolly Rancher scene was a bit much, but I thought Eisenberg nailed the helipad scene. He tones down the eccentricities just a tad coming out of Arkham and I think he could be a great Luthor moving forward.

Man, I'm still baffled how Campea pulled a stunt like this and then acts like he didn't expect this to happen, the hypocrisy of this guy. Even the way he worded things defies all logic.

People give to much power to these youtube journalists. Hell even Clark became a blogger during the New52.

They are pathetic and I wouldn't call any of them journalist.

Ninjimbo

Th eccentricities were great with Lex since he was a dude on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Lex is going through his own crisis in the movie and reaching down into depths he never thought he had which is why I think he's in tears when he's making Zod.

The very first scene we see Lex in is probably the closest thing we have to the normal, real Lex. Everything afterwards is him becoming more and more unhinged. I like that scene where breaks down giving the speech. It reveals so much about what's going through his mind.

In the recent Sony earnings report the Sony CFO (IIRC) commented about how big a mistake this was on their part.

There is so much opinion and rumour in this I don't even know why you bother posting it.
It's all about unexamined assumptions now, we in the alternative facts world today and John Campea is posting on GAF.

Penguin

People wonder how "fake news" takes off in politics... and I'm like I've been following entertainment news long enough to know how...

shingi70

Banned
It sure WB should do, rebooting and burning it all down is the worst thing they could do. It would kill any consumer confidence that's their already. Maybe all these dzelays are good thing since it lets them look atJustice League as a springboard for DCEU Phase 2 and learn from the previous 5 films.

Why did Sony trade the merchandise and animation rights to spider-man to marvel. That seemed like a bad idea to anyone with common sense.

People wonder how "fake news" takes off in politics... and I'm like I've been following entertainment news long enough to know how...

Eh..fake news never starts off with a guy giving you two backstories about how unreliable what he's about to say is. This was just a bizarre thing for him to do..even more bizarre for folks to run with it. Then again, an orange fuck is president now. I don't think bizarre means what it use to anymore..

Penguin

Eh..fake news never starts off with a guy giving you two backstories about how unreliable what he's about to say is. This was just a bizarre thing for him to do..even more bizarre for folks to run with it. Then again, an orange fuck is president now. I don't think bizarre means what it use to anymore..

Oh but it isn't just this

This is the latest example, but the history of entertainment (not just movies) has really been interesting to see over the last decade or so

Oh but it isn't just this

This is the latest example, but the history of entertainment (not just movies) has really been interesting to see over the last decade or so

But seriously, it was the most WTF thing to watch. The segment was about to end, and he just decides to talk about "scoops" and how "we don't do scoops" and his failure with "scoops" in the past..then drops that giant turd in the kitchen sink. Like..was he drunk? The fuck.

Still don't understand why anyone ran with it, considering once you watch the video it's immediately a wash..

JdFoX187

Banned
But seriously, it was the most WTF thing to watch. The segment was about to end, and he just decides to talk about "scoops" and how "we don't do scoops" and his failure with "scoops" in the past..then drops that giant turd in the kitchen sink. Like..was he drunk? The fuck.

Still don't understand why anyone ran with it, considering once you watch the video it's immediately a wash..

My main question is why did he even bring it up in the first place? Like, you admit your history with "scoops" is shit, you admit it's probably bullshit, you admit you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but you're going to drop this "scoop" anyway -- even with all of these concessions -- and then act befuddled that people ran with it? Are you fucking dense?

My main question is why did he even bring it up in the first place? Like, you admit your history with "scoops" is shit, you admit it's probably bullshit, you admit you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but you're going to drop this "scoop" anyway -- even with all of these concessions -- and then act befuddled that people ran with it? Are you fucking dense?

Exactly! This is the part that I just don't get..it was so out nowhere. Just plain weird..

Yeah it really doesn't add up, the guy knows damn well what he was doing.

And now you have two schools of thought on this: The ones aware of Campea's grain of salt disclaimer who dismiss this "scoop" as likely bullshit, and then you have those who just will ignore the disclaimer and only acknowledge the latter part of the "scoop" and just run with it like it's a irrefutable truth.

People now can just throw pretty much anything out there and let the public make up their own minds depending on their natural inclination on the matter

Honestly watching a good portion of their stuff daily, it honestly could be multiple things with him.

One option is he just snapped and decided to scoop a big nugget for Collider on something that has had so much negative press it just slips right in and looks believable.
Its pretty hard to refute it as well, is Affleck going to say he wants to be Batman forever?

Honestly for a business it seems like an amazing safe "scoop".

PBY

Banned
He still contracted for Batman solo. He don't want them problems.

And no they don't have to reboot anything.

Agree re reboot - no need currently. If Ben leaves though, they have nothing; thats like Marvel trying to start their universe without RDJ, they would need to reboot or seriously rethink this thing.

Ross61

Agree re reboot - no need currently. If Ben leaves though, they have nothing; thats like Marvel trying to start their universe without RDJ, they would need to reboot or seriously rethink this thing.
Ben and his Batman is nowhere near RDJ's Affleck.

Ninjimbo

https://twitter.com/bholliday/status/831537547448836096

Another guy says hes gone. At some point ya'll have to admit they're going to have to reboot this.
I'm okay with a reboot after JL. I just want to see Snyder's arc finished. It's fucking weird that people are so desperate to ask for a reboot after only three movies. Like, do people know that Snyder directed two of those affairs? I'd say give it more time and it's not like any of those films were financial disasters, but what do I know? I'm just another voice on the internet.

If Ben is feeling like shit, I'm okay with letting him go. That's no way to make a movie. I'll feel bad for him because his career might go up in flames and who knows what kind of stuff he's going through. He could use a break. But then again, I don't know much of anything.

All this gossip is just annoying now.

shingi70

Banned
Because Affleck may not be on board anymore.

I wonder who they would recast him with assuming he walks.

Again what does 1 actor mean for a universe with like 15 other actors onboard, and in production.

Like you just scrap GCS or a potential Squad 2. What if Wonder Woman or Justice League are major hits.

WB made this shitty bed themselves and they have to live with it.

If Ben really wants to step away, it's fine, as long has he has some in-universe reason to do so, use the batman solo movie as a vehicle If it must.

Don't know If a full on "sweep everything under the rug" would be possible by this time considering all the legal matters considering contracts and aquaman already in production and whatnot.

Jacce

Banned
At this point it might just be easiest to back up a truck full of money in front of Nolan and Bale to do a 4th Dark Knight film and buy them a few years to reboot yeah?

jrush64

Banned
At a point you can't just ignore all these rumors about the whole thing being in trouble. I'm expecting the worst from both WW and JL and this whole universe. I really hope everything turns out fine though.

Jacce

Banned
At a point you can't just ignore all these rumors about the whole thing being in trouble. I'm expecting the worst from both WW and JL and this whole universe. I really hope everything turns out fine though.

Ben leaving may be more about being burned out on the super hero grind more than a quality issue.

Besides, just imagine WB cancelling Henry's , Gal's, Amy's, Iron's, Momoa's, Ezra's, Ray's and all the secondary actor's future signed on gigs because Affleck got cold feet.

It would open and entirely different can of worms and drama behind the scenes for sure. One actor shouldn't have this kind of leverage, he's not exactly Harry Potter.

The best bet would be course correcting. Will it be a guaranteed success? No, but it's safer and cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom