• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

Firemind

Why does it have to make sense? Maybe shitting is too strong of a word, but they're definitely going to reference past movies being dark and shit. They're not supposed to be critics.

Just ignore. Double Toasted are some fine dudes.

Yeah, dude..that's my confusion with the opinion. Yo, I think I've been the biggest cheerleader for Patty on this movie in this community..even being told how she's made crap since Monster. I'm more excited for this movie than any of the stuff that's come out. One thing has nothing to do with the other..

Why does it have to make sense?

Hmm..lol.

Lol relax, Gordon. I'm just taking shots at Campea. I'm not in any way trying to say Gal is a great actress.

I'm good, man..just find it funny folks have been on the acting defense. Certainly isn't warranted..yet!

I think it's unfair to assume Gal's bad actress. BvS proved that she can work with decent material and put her own spin on it.

What? A couple of minutes with a couple of lines hasn't "proved" anything lol. There's plenty out there to say otherwise.

And this isn't me saying that's the case here. I'm hoping what I've said from the beginning..Patty "directs" her.

ReiGun

Where has anyone said Gal is a great actress? At best, I've seen people say she's decent or not as bad as she's accused. People just find the behavior of Campea and some of her detractors incredibly offputting and/or a little creepy.

It's not always about the opinion being expressed, but how you express it.

IconGrist

Though to be fair Gal has not yet been challenged to put in anything more than a half-hearted effort at best. Giselle has been her most prominent role and she was basically "the hot chick" in those movies. Whatever the first take was is probably what they went with.

Ninjimbo

I'm good, man..just find it funny folks have been on the acting defense. Certainly isn't warranted..yet!

What? A couple of minutes with a couple of lines hasn't "proved" anything lol. There's plenty out there to say otherwise.
There's more to acting than just saying lines. In the few meaty scenes she has, you can read so much into who she is from the way she walks, the way she looks and the facial expressions she makes. I think that's an indication of someone who is doing solid work. Watch the scene in the ballroom where she has a chat with Bruce and pay attention to the expressions she makes. She's pretty slick.

I don't think acting is some terrific skill. You and me could probably do it if we took a few classes, so I've never been worried about Gal. WB was going to make sure she knew her stuff.

So what will be the case if Gal does a good job acting wise?

Is it because she got better at it or will people chalk it up to Patty/Pine carrying her through the movie?

Where has anyone said Gal is a great actress? At best, I've seen people say she's decent or not as bad as she's accused. People just find the behavior of Campea and some of her detractors incredibly offputting and/or a little creepy.

It's not always about the opinion being expressed, but how you express it.

Guess you miss it, but it happens. Not about to scorer post to find it, but the hang up in this nobody is making folks say funny things..just saying.

Though to be fair Gal has not yet been challenged to put in anything more than a half-hearted effort at best. Giselle has been her most prominent role and she was basically "the hot chick" in those movies. Whatever the first take was is probably what they went with.

And this is a fair point, and one that I bring up when talking about Marlon Wayans..sadly, I don't think we'll ever see him act as phenomenally as he did for Aronofsky. There right director can work all sorts of magic. Its what I'm going for here..no doubt. Thursday is too far away!

Is it because she got better at it or will people chalk it up to Patty/Pine carrying her through the movie?

Could be both? But to deny that directing isn't a part of it is..strange.

Guaranteed the latter. People are committed to the narrative at this point.

I don't agree. Having a strong ensemble with you, like Robin Wright, also helps things. You talk to these actors. Take pointers. They help push you. Film making tends to be a family affair. She'll hopefully benefit from all the talent surrounding her and push to do her best. It's the way I've been taking it, personally..perhaps I'm just too positive lol.

I don't agree. Having a strong ensemble with you, like Robin Wright, also helps things. You talk to these actors. Take pointers. They help push you. Film making tends to be a family affair. She'll hopefully benefit from all the talent surrounding her and push to do her best. Outs the way I've been taking it, personally..

Oh, I misread. I definitely think she's improved vs. her Fast & Furious days, and it's possible she's gonna level up again. I just think that the official line is "I don't have to eat crow, she still sucks and she's just getting carried."

Ninjimbo

Directors do help make the actors better. I'm sure Patti was there to guide her in the right direction. Snyder does the same thing. He'll pull out something from everyone he works with. Has Gerard Butler ever been better than he was in 300 or Haley as Rorschach?

Gal absolutely benefitted from working with a great team.

I think it has to be a combination of the two.

She's talked about how not being native English speaker has impacted her ability to improvise a scene even if she has an idea. However, she's fine improvising from a physicality perspective like her smile during the Doomsday fight. Her English has gotten better based on recent interviews.

While she's making strides on that front, which should open new avenues of expression for her, you need the people around her who are willing to let her try and fail, but be encouraging. Patty and Chris appear to be the right people for that.

Oh, I misread. I definitely think she's improved vs. her Fast & Furious days, and it's possible she's gonna level up again. I just think that the official line is "I don't have to eat crow, she still sucks and she's just getting carried."

That would be the logical answer, yes, but remember on the realms of the internet, there is no in between, it's gotta be one thing or the other.

I think this is where there's a disconnect for me..in fact, I need to start taking this into account in here. I'm just not hung up on what some YouTube, or any other commentator, has to say about a/b/c. Again, they're nobodies. My real life friends? Wife and kids? Sure..I wanna hear their opinions.

The rest is just, if anything, for entertainment purposes. Lawd knows I don't agree with the majority of these personalities when it comes to the bulk of movies. I hate the term "turn your brain off" in defense of garbage movies. I like what I like..that's about it.

I think it has to be a combination of the two.

She's talked about how not being native English speaker has impacted her ability to improvise a scene even if she has an idea. However, she's fine improvising from a physicality perspective like her smile during the Doomsday fight. Her English has gotten better based on recent interviews.

While she's making strides on that front, which should open new avenues of expression for her, you need the people around her who are willing to let her try and fail, but be encouraging. Patty and Chris appear to be the right people for that.

Yes sir..

Ahasverus

Should I judge for myself? At least I don't call actresses a fucking bimbo..relax.
Well there are actresses who play bimbos because that's what they are used for and it's fine. You don't see Pamela Anderson having a defense force or anything.

Campea is a manchild who had a hard on with Jamie Alexander. And he liked the movie. As he had a personal issue with the movie, it means the movie is good enough to make an opposing opinion indefensible.

bryanee

Mmmmmm Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Dat Action Reaction track on the Wondy OST. I love it.

Some great tracks on the OST mixed with some mediocre stuff.

Gal was ok in Fast and Furious (just there for window dressing really. like that new hot chick from Game of Thrones, but still a lot better than some of the real awful appearances like Ronda Rousey lmao)

but she was pretty damn bad in that spy movie with Jon Hamm, which in itself was no good but she stood out as being particularly bad.

However in the Wonder Woman clips she seems fine. I get being really skeptical of her prior to this, I damn sure was. But it seems like she nailed this role so thats great. You get occasional god tier outliers like McAvoy, Bale, Jackman etc. in lead superhero roles but generally these roles are filled by people who just gotta get the job done and be fun and watchable action heroes. Which it seems like she's doing going by those clips.

Well there are actress who are bimbos because that's what they are used for and it's fine. You don't see Pamela Anderson having a defense force or anything.

Campea is a manchild who had a hard on with Jamie Alexander. And he liked the movie. As he had a personal issue with the a movie, it means the movie is good enough to make an opposing opinion indefensible.

What? The fuck are you doing right now? Do you fucking hear yourself? I'll let y'all clean up..

bryanee

Well there are actresses who are bimbos because that's what they are used for and it's fine. You don't see Pamela Anderson having a defense force or anything.

They're a women hired to play a role. How about we don't fucking call them bimbos, yeah?

Ahasverus

What? The fuck are you doing right now? Do you fucking hear yourself? I'll let y'all clean up..

They're a women hired to play a role. How about we don't fucking call them bimbos, yeah?
They are bimbo roles, that doesn't mean they are (I know I used that verb, I'm sorry, as English is not my first language I often use the "to be" verb as a shortcut, as it's used in my language, but of course it doesn't apply).

I was just using Gordon's words to illustrate there is nothing inherently wrong with that.

You could word that a bit better haha. Roles cast primarily for sex appeal. It's pretty common among a lot of young male and female actors.

Mentioned before, Gal in WW is Chris Evans in Winter Soldier quality (which, imo, is his standout after two middling turns), and one of the best recent actor to character matches in the genre. That's not to say she's a better actor than a Mark Ruffalo, but she's better at playing Wonder Woman than he is at playing Bruce Banner... if that makes sense.

I'll say, Tom Holland as Spidey has potential to be up there, too, despite Homecoming seeming kinda shaky. We've yet to see him really get into the emotional stuff as Peter, but Holland is solid at drama in other roles.

Ahasverus

Holland is a fantastic actor. His performance is the literal least of my worries about Homecoming.

Hey bronco, was the dubbing noticeable? I've heard some re recorded lines in the new trailers. Of course she sounds far more comfortable now and it's for the best (even if I loved her hard accent) but there's always the possibility that it sounds/looks unnatural on film.

Not DC, but I picked up two Zack Snyder movies on Blu-ray earlier for $5 each. I saw 300 in theaters and liked it, but I've never watched Sucker Punch, though I was interested in it

The only movies of his I don't own now are Dawn of the Dead and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole...though I'm not really all that interested in them, but maybe I'll pick up the former at some point if I see a cheap copy. I only own Batman v Superman digitally, though, thanks to a fellow member here (Dead). I plan to pick it up on Blu-ray eventually.
2uxreqA.jpg

strafer

I love Sucker Punch.

There's one scene in that movie that is just absolutely ridiculousy awesome.

It's a very long shot. No cuts.

I love Sucker Punch.

Maybe I'll watch it sometime this week. I'm also planning to rewatch Batman v Superman before watching Wonder Woman on Thursday.

Holland is a fantastic actor. His performance is the literal least of my worries about Homecoming.

Hey bronco, was the dubbing noticeable? I've heard some re recorded lines in the new trailers. Of course she sounds far more comfortable now and it's for the best (even if I loved her hard accent) but there's always the possibility that it sounds/looks unnatural on film.

Nope. Really the only nitpicks I have on technical aspects are about the spotty CGI.

Ninjimbo

I love Sucker Punch.

I know which one you're talking about and, yeah, pretty damn awesome. I'm still not sure how they pulled that off because it looks so smooth.

Sucker Punch is a cool movie. It's all the shit that Snyder has in head come to life. I get why people don't like it but I don't get why some people treat it as if it's the worst thing ever made.

Oh, hey, I saw Guardians today. Good movie, but it's doing that Marvel thing and I've already forgotten most of it lol. Some great moments though, especially when they linked the licensed songs to the action choreography. Yondu tha GOAT.

Also, never let it be said that Marvel can't make a very pretty movie when they want to. They're still struggling with basic superpower stuff in these, but the color choices were just inspired.

J_Viper

Tom Holland as Spidey has potential to be up there, too, despite Homecoming seeming kinda shaky.

Holland is a great actor, and I like him in CW, but he seems like he's gonna be annoying in Homecoming the same way Garfield was. I hope I'm wrong though.

Now that Jackman is out, the current kings are Big Ben as Bruce and Chadwick as T'Challa.

Good to hear that Gal is great though. I thought she did well in BvS, so I never got the skepticism.

Top Bottom