• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

BadAss2961

Nice spot for Whedon. Never wanted him involved, but never knew there was going to be a Batgirl movie.

Bring some of that Buffy experience.

J_Viper

I wonder what the hell the DCEU release schedule even looks like. They've got a ton of projects in development.

Maybe we'll see them release three movies a year like Marvel does starting in 2019.

The Batman should hit then, maybe SS2 as well, and with Whedon aboard Batgirl, I can see that moving quickly.

ReiGun

Could not be more meh on this news. I've liked only three things Whedon has done - Avengers, Dr. Horrible, and a few episodes of Dollhouse - and overall find him to be a pretty middling director. And then they lost me with "Babs-girl based on the Gail Simone run."

Call me when Jaime Reyes gets his shot.

ReiGun

So, you're not getting called?

I can dream...

1JnO8ER.gif

Ross61

Thought folks would be a lot more cheery with this news.
They just can't accept the Batman Cinematic Universe!

I'm just glad to see my beloved Bat-family on the big screen. This universe is obviously non-linear and they will have other properties other than the Bat family since WB have been shopping Flash around to directors. Kroll and others have confirmed that much. Just directors seem to be more attracted to Bat-related properties.

For me, concerns 'cause Whedon is spotty, too many Batman-centric announcements, and what it means in a shared universe when she's a character closely linked to Batman, Nightwing, and possibly Gotham City Sirens.

This is why I'm glad Matt Reeves played Warners. When they come to him about adding Barbara to his Batman, he can tell them to piss off.

Ross61

For me, concerns 'cause Whedon is spotty, too many Batman-centric announcements, and what it means in a shared universe when she's a character closely linked to Batman, Nightwing, and possibly Gotham City Sirens.

This is why I'm glad Matt Reeves played Warners. When they come to him about adding Barbara to his Batman, he can tell them to piss off.

"Matt Reeves exits The Batman!"

I'm pretty sure Matt realizes he's in a cinematic universe and he'll have to concede to some stuff. And if he doesn't, we are definitely going to see that headline.

IconGrist

It's not like WB needs Reeves. The Batman will be made with our without him. Reeves can only get away with so much before WB tells him to fuck off.

Hell yes. I'm all for the batfamily but if Reeves can't find a good way to fit it into his film then I really hope he just tells them to leave him alone and do his thing.

Batman can bless them all with an appearance but they better not dare infect his movie with Ayer and whedon stuff unless it works.

Boke1879

I'm happy about this news.

People turn out for Batman and will most likely turn out for the Bat-family as well, and they are courting some good directors for it.

Also yall gotta understand. Reeves may have a lot of control over what to do with Batman, but I'm sure it was already discussed how his movie would fit in the larger scope. Batgirl, Nightwing, etc were most likely brought up during talks.

Maddocks

maybe if this was pre avengers 2 Joss, I would be hyped a bit. But I'm really not. Now it is more of....That's cool I guess.

After all my shit talking of the man, I just can't go,"AWESOME!" I don't trust his judgment anymore.

IconGrist

maybe if this was pre avengers 2 Joss, I would be hyped a bit. But I'm really not. Now it is more of....That's cool I guess.

After all my shit talking of the man, I just can't go,"AWESOME!" I don't trust his judgment anymore.

He was under a lot of pressure for AoU. From what I understand they wanted him to include a bunch of crap that wasn't originally in the script.

Boke1879

Age of Ultron while not the greatest thing ever. Moviegoers did enjoy themselves. At the end of the day. DC need commercial and critical success. Whedon can potentially give them that.

Unrelated to the Batgirl stuff, some have pointed out that Batman standing on a grim reaper rather than a gargoyle might be a deep cut to a cover from the Batman Troika story line.

It's Snyder, so he could've seen the cover, thought it's cool, and that's the end of that. But if you get crazy and read too deep into it, Troika is Bruce returning to Batman post-Knightfall. While not a particularly good story, it's somewhat about the fallout of Bruce's decision to make Azrael his replacement and unleashing a psycho murdering Batman upon Gotham. So some parallels to BvS. Would be nice if they address Batman's fall.

Setsuna

Age of Ultron while not the greatest thing ever. Moviegoers did enjoy themselves. At the end of the day. DC need commercial and critical success. Whedon can potentially give them that.

you guys make these comments like both Batman Vs Superman and Suicide Squad made 100 million Worldwide

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing Babs is going to be in her 30's in this movie. Unless they do a flash back, but now with the seemingly confirmed version they're shooting for, it seems like Barbara will be post Killing Joke and able to walk again. Bruce is 45, Dick and Babs should be around 30 to 35.

Daemul

I'm excited, but I can see why other people wouldn't with seemingly more and more focus being put on Batman and his expanded universe.

It seems like after the criitical pannings of their films, DC are falling back to what they know, more Batman.

Boke1879

you guys make these comments like both Batman Vs Superman and Suicide Squad made 100 million Worldwide

Commercially bvs and SS did good, but not nearly as much as they could have made. And imo a part of that is because critically the films got panned.

Also I'm someone who liked BvS and SS. Seeing both like 3 times each.

bryanee

Commercially bvs and SS did good, but not nearly as much as they could have made. And imo a part of that is because critically the films got panned.

Also I'm someone who liked BvS and SS. Seeing both like 3 times each.

I think Squad made as much as it could really for its first time out and no China.

Unrelated to the Batgirl stuff, some have pointed out that Batman standing on a grim reaper rather than a gargoyle might be a deep cut to a cover from the Batman Troika story line.

It's Snyder, so he could've seen the cover, thought it's cool, and that's the end of that. But if you get crazy and read too deep into it, Troika is Bruce returning to Batman post-Knightfall. While not a particularly good story, it's somewhat about the fallout of Bruce's decision to make Azrael his replacement and unleashing a psycho murdering Batman upon Gotham. So some parallels to BvS. Would be nice if they address Batman's fall.

I have these issues. It's pretty good and seeing this makes me want to read them again.

Already confirmed.

Confirmed that they're addressing Batman's shortcomings or that they're pulling from this particular arc?

Boke1879

I think Squad made as much as it could really for its first time out and no China.

I mean I'll have no way of knowing, but I'd still say a better reviewed movie would have forced some fence sitters and people who may not have paid any attention to it to go see it. But you're probably right.

I much prefer Oracle Barbara and very much disliked how in the New 52/Currently she just recovers. My ideal Batgirl movie would be Barbara as Oracle and mentor to whoever newbie they use with little flashbacks or allusions to some shit that happened to Babs in the past. But this news all came out of nowhere and I'm pretty excited. I do hope Whedon doesnt go full AoU though. IF this thing works out.

Pretty ambivalent on the news, just makes the DCEU look more like the BCU.

So that's like 3 or 4 properties in the pipeline now with a director attached that directly relates to Batman? Versus no directors for the other properties? Yeah, fuck that.

Batman, Nightwing, Gotham City Sirens and now Batgirl all have directors attached. Meanwhile Flash is heading toward development hell and we don't know anything about Shazam, Black Adam or GLC.

tim1138

Pretty ambivalent on the news, just makes the DCEU look more like the BCU.

So that's like 3 or 4 properties in the pipeline now with a director attached that directly relates to Batman? Versus no directors for the other properties? Yeah, fuck that.

Batman, Nightwing, Gotham City Sirens and now Batgirl all have directors attached. Meanwhile Flash is heading toward development hell and we don't know anything about Shazam, Black Adam or GLC.

Reworking Flash is probably for the better, the plot description from the casting sheets was basically season 1 of the CW show. They need to make sure to differentiate between the two.

Top Bottom